Lake Erie died for your sins.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

SubjectAuthor
* Setting up a webcam - security implicationsGB
+* Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsAndy Burns
|+- Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsRichard Kettlewell
|`* Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsGB
| `* Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsJeff Gaines
|   `* Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsGB
|    `- Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsJeff Gaines
+* Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsSH
|`- Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsGB
`- Re: Setting up a webcam - security implicationsal...@mullen.demon.co.uk

1
Setting up a webcam - security implications

<tf05nm$2unt2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2543&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2543

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Setting up a webcam - security implications
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 19:17:27 +0100
 by: GB - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 18:17 UTC

Just for fun, I have set up a webcam here on my Pi.

I've gone into the router settings and 'forwarded the port'.

I just wondered whether there are any security implications of having
done this? It's the first time I have ever done anything like this.

The Pi has a new installation of Debian, without any personal data at
all on it.

There are several other devices on the network: 2 ipads, 2 android
phones, and a W10 laptop.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<jnhm0jF65r4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2544&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2544

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 19:50:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 18:50 UTC

GB wrote:

> I've gone into the router settings and 'forwarded the port'.
> I just wondered whether there are any security implications of having done this?

Anyone who knows* your IP addr and the relevant port number (wild-assed guess
8081) can watch through your camera ...

[*] and all the kiddies who just guess swathes of IP addrs from a virtual
machine in a foreign datacentre paid for by a stolen credit card ...

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<87edws8dwt.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2545&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2545

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 20:18:42 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 19:18 UTC

It will probably show up on https://www.shodan.io/ l-)

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<tf0ab4$2vd96$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2546&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2546

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:36:04 +0100
 by: GB - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 19:36 UTC

On 03/09/2022 19:50, Andy Burns wrote:
> GB wrote:
>
>> I've gone into the router settings and 'forwarded the port'. I just
>> wondered whether there are any security implications of having done this?
>
> Anyone who knows* your IP addr and the relevant port number (wild-assed
> guess 8081) can watch through your camera ...

Oh, is that the biggest worry? At the moment, it's pointed at the shop
across the road.

I planted a couple of beans we found in a field, and they have sprouted.
I was thinking of pointing it at those instead. Either way, it's not a
problem.

> [*] and all the kiddies who just guess swathes of IP addrs from a
> virtual machine in a foreign datacentre paid for by a stolen credit card

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<jnj03bFc9o2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2550&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2550

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 07:49:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 06:49 UTC

On 03/09/2022 20:36, GB wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Anyone who knows* your IP addr and the relevant port number (wild-assed guess
>> 8081) can watch through your camera ...
>
> Oh, is that the biggest worry?
>
> I planted a couple of beans we found in a field, and they have sprouted. I was
> thinking of pointing it at those instead. Either way, it's not a problem.

if your beanshoots go viral they could suck all your bandwith

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<xn0nmgfeg7p6pio009@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2551&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2551

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 4 Sep 2022 07:31:49 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 07:31 UTC

On 04/09/2022 in message <jnj03bFc9o2U1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>On 03/09/2022 20:36, GB wrote:
>
>>Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone who knows* your IP addr and the relevant port number (wild-assed
>>>guess 8081) can watch through your camera ...
>>
>>Oh, is that the biggest worry? I planted a couple of beans we found in a
>>field, and they have sprouted. I was thinking of pointing it at those
>>instead. Either way, it's not a problem.
>
>if your beanshoots go viral they could suck all your bandwith

Are viral beanshoots the same as GM beanshoots?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<tf26su$kba$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2552&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2552

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 13:49:33 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 12:49 UTC

On 03/09/2022 19:17, GB wrote:
> Just for fun, I have set up a webcam here on my Pi.
>
> I've gone into the router settings and 'forwarded the port'.
>
> I just wondered whether there are any security implications of having
> done this? It's the first time I have ever done anything like this.
>
> The Pi has a new installation of Debian, without any personal data at
> all on it.
>
> There are several other devices on the network: 2 ipads, 2 android
> phones, and a W10 laptop.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Have you got a username and password for thr webcam & Pi? You should be
able to set up this in Debian/webcam software..

Another thing to consider is istall a VPN such as wireguard, forward the
VPN port only and set up a vpn client on the machines you use to view
the webcam. This then allows you to unforward the Webcam port and that
should inprove security a far bit

S.

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<tf2g6c$38ojh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2553&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2553

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:28:14 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 15:28 UTC

On 04/09/2022 13:49, SH wrote:
> On 03/09/2022 19:17, GB wrote:
>> Just for fun, I have set up a webcam here on my Pi.
>>
>> I've gone into the router settings and 'forwarded the port'.
>>
>> I just wondered whether there are any security implications of having
>> done this? It's the first time I have ever done anything like this.
>>
>> The Pi has a new installation of Debian, without any personal data at
>> all on it.
>>
>> There are several other devices on the network: 2 ipads, 2 android
>> phones, and a W10 laptop.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

> Have you got a username and password for thr webcam & Pi? You should be
> able to set up this in Debian/webcam software..
>
> Another thing to consider is istall a VPN such as wireguard, forward the
> VPN port only and set up a vpn client on the machines you use to view
> the webcam. This then allows you to unforward the Webcam port and that
> should inprove security a far bit
>
> S.

Thanks. I'll have a go at that. It's quite a learning curve.

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<tf2h0c$38ojh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2555&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2555

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:42:06 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 15:42 UTC

On 04/09/2022 08:31, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 04/09/2022 in message <jnj03bFc9o2U1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
> wrote:

>>> Oh, is that the biggest worry?   I planted a couple of beans we found
>>> in a field, and they have sprouted. I was  thinking of pointing it at
>>> those instead. Either way, it's not a problem.
>>
>> if your beanshoots go viral they could suck all your bandwith
>
> Are viral beanshoots the same as GM beanshoots?

Coincidentally, I suddenly started getting virus notifications from
Windows Defender today for Behavior:Win32/Hive.ZY.

It just seems to be a bug in Defender, but it was a bit of a surprise.

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<xn0nmgu4y897x4s00b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2556&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2556

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 4 Sep 2022 16:52:38 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:52 UTC

On 04/09/2022 in message <tf2h0c$38ojh$2@dont-email.me> GB wrote:

>>>if your beanshoots go viral they could suck all your bandwith
>>
>>Are viral beanshoots the same as GM beanshoots?
>>

>Coincidentally, I suddenly started getting virus notifications from
>Windows Defender today for Behavior:Win32/Hive.ZY.
>
>It just seems to be a bug in Defender, but it was a bit of a surprise.

I've been getting it all afternoon :-(

As you say it seems to be a bug.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.

Re: Setting up a webcam - security implications

<0c70d027-5591-425e-875e-fd9beb3a57d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2559&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2559

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 02:56:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: ala...@mullen.demon.co.uk (al...@mullen.demon.co.uk)
 by: al...@mullen.demon.c - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:56 UTC

Your home network security then becomes as strong as the weakest device that has been exposed to the internet. In your case it is the Pi and the webcam. I guess the Pi, running Debian, can be hardened but disabling unused services etc. You probably dont have any control over the software that is running on the webcam. I think the general opinion is that webcam software isnt very secure and rarely gets updated to fix security vulnerabilities.

If someone gets access to either of these devices then they may be able to use them as a jumping point onto other devices on your network (laptop etc)..

As mentioned, a VPN would help to secure things by limiting the connectivity into your network to authorised devices.