If there is a wrong way to do something, then someone will do it. -- Edward A. Murphy Jr.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Bluetooth problem.

SubjectAuthor
* Bluetooth problem.Dave Plowman (News)
+* Re: Bluetooth problem.Andy Burns
|+- Re: Bluetooth problem.Dave Plowman (News)
|`* Re: Bluetooth problem.Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `* Re: Bluetooth problem.Andy Burns
|  `* Re: Bluetooth problem.Dave Plowman (News)
|   +* Re: Bluetooth problem.Andy Burns
|   |`- Re: Bluetooth problem.Dave Plowman (News)
|   `- Re: Bluetooth problem.Andy Burns
`- Re: Bluetooth problem.Brian

1
Bluetooth problem.

<5986948d80dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25453&group=uk.d-i-y#25453

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Bluetooth problem.
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 11:15:18 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:15 UTC

Can't get my Win10 laptop to pair with my Android phone.
Phone pairs nicely with my car and TV. Also says visible to nearby
devices. And shows my laptop by name.

Tell it to pair with the laptop, and the request appears on the laptop.
Click on that, and the connection window appears, but minimised - so you
can't see the phone name and box to enter the code. Laptop Bluetooth does
work, as I'm using a Bluetooth mouse with it.

If I tell the laptop to find new Bluetooth devices, it does find next
door's Bose something or other. But not my phone.

I've Googled extensively. Seems it's not unknown. But no fix on how to
full size the connection window. Some say using tab (or tab and enter)
brings up the correct boxes in the connection window, but not here. Others
say the arrow keys work.
Tab enter sometimes shows the phone name. But can't get it to the box for
the pairing code. The next enter cancels the connection window.

--
*When you get a bladder infection urine trouble.*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<iukiejFejssU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25455&group=uk.d-i-y#25455

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Bluetooth problem.
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:21:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:21 UTC

Dave Plowman wrote:

> the connection window appears, but minimised - so you
> can't see the phone name and box to enter the code.

Alt-space, then click restore or maximise?

or if it's off the edge of the screen

Alt-space, then move, then use arrows to reposition it and enter to set the
position?

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<5986a6fc2edave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25486&group=uk.d-i-y#25486

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 14:36:38 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 14:36 UTC

In article <iukiejFejssU1@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Dave Plowman wrote:

> > the connection window appears, but minimised - so you
> > can't see the phone name and box to enter the code.

> Alt-space, then click restore or maximise?

Is that any different from right clicking on the window? The menu then
does show restore and minimise,but greyed out.

> or if it's off the edge of the screen

It's in a normal position and width. But only shows the top bar and one
thing under that. So normal width but not height.

I assume it should show a box with the phone name, another you enter the
pair code, and go or cancel.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<sm5div$8rk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25596&group=uk.d-i-y#25596

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 08:15:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:B1jMMwb7N1jF/V0xEGAuN0dTLKw=
 by: Brian - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 08:15 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> Can't get my Win10 laptop to pair with my Android phone.
> Phone pairs nicely with my car and TV. Also says visible to nearby
> devices. And shows my laptop by name.
>
> Tell it to pair with the laptop, and the request appears on the laptop.
> Click on that, and the connection window appears, but minimised - so you
> can't see the phone name and box to enter the code. Laptop Bluetooth does
> work, as I'm using a Bluetooth mouse with it.
>
> If I tell the laptop to find new Bluetooth devices, it does find next
> door's Bose something or other. But not my phone.
>
> I've Googled extensively. Seems it's not unknown. But no fix on how to
> full size the connection window. Some say using tab (or tab and enter)
> brings up the correct boxes in the connection window, but not here. Others
> say the arrow keys work.
> Tab enter sometimes shows the phone name. But can't get it to the box for
> the pairing code. The next enter cancels the connection window.

A suggestion which may help.

Reset the Android device - I think you can just rest the network settings (
including Bluetooth). It is a while since I played with Android so I can’t
recall the detail.

Then try again.

Certainly when I had trouble connecting my Android phone Bluetooth this
worked. Of course it means re entering network details and reconnecting
other devices but, for me at least, they all connected.

Not exactly a fix - ie this is the problem, do this to fix it. I suspect
there is a latent conflict in the Android Bluetooth system which the reset
gets around.

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<sm5djv$8vn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25597&group=uk.d-i-y#25597

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 08:15:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 08:15 UTC

Or it could be that both are running incompatible versions of Bluetooth.
I've seen that when one for both are unable to handle devices with older
blue tooth devices or if a newer one has already paired. To me this is a bit
of a black art though. I had a similar issue with a keyboard and tv and
phone.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> Dave Plowman wrote:
>
>> the connection window appears, but minimised - so you
>> can't see the phone name and box to enter the code.
>
> Alt-space, then click restore or maximise?
>
> or if it's off the edge of the screen
>
> Alt-space, then move, then use arrows to reposition it and enter to set
> the position?

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<iumthtFsbveU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25603&group=uk.d-i-y#25603

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 08:43:39 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 08:43 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> it could be that both are running incompatible versions of Bluetooth.

It sounds like the devices can see each other ok, just that the windows dialogue
where you're required to enter the pairing code isn't displaying properly, so
Dave can't complete the process.

Which bluetooth stack is installed? if you don't see "Microsoft Bluetooth
Enumerator" in device manager, I'd be tempted to remove everything bluetooth,
and let the Microsoft stack install (it will still have e.g. Intel or Broadcomm
etc drivers), if you're not sure of how to install from scratch, take a backup
first.

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<59871ec980dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25671&group=uk.d-i-y#25671

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 12:25:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:25 UTC

In article <iumthtFsbveU1@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:

> > it could be that both are running incompatible versions of Bluetooth.

> It sounds like the devices can see each other ok, just that the windows
> dialogue where you're required to enter the pairing code isn't
> displaying properly, so Dave can't complete the process.

Correct. My phone sees the laptop by name. Tell it to connect and a window
pops up on the laptop asking you to allow this. Click on that, and another
windows opens - which should allow you to enter the code. But as it's
minimised, you can't see all the fields, or change the window to full
size. Just as I did with other things before. Device manager shows the
correct bluetooth modules for the phone - by phone model - installed.

Tell the laptop to search for bluetooth devices and it doesn't find the
phone, though. Which suggest to me it already knows it is there - since it
has the drivers loaded, so not a new device to it.

> Which bluetooth stack is installed? if you don't see "Microsoft
> Bluetooth Enumerator" in device manager, I'd be tempted to remove
> everything bluetooth, and let the Microsoft stack install (it will still
> have e.g. Intel or Broadcomm etc drivers), if you're not sure of how to
> install from scratch, take a backup first.

I'm a bit wary as the only thing I really use Bluetooth for is the mouse,
which works just fine. I can link the phone to the PC via Wi-Fi which is
faster. So more just curious about this fault. Found an MS forum online,
and it's a known problem. Sadly none of the 'fixes' mentioned there worked
here. Not surprising as they told me nothing I hadn't already tried.

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<iunatoFb39U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25674&group=uk.d-i-y#25674

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:31:51 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:31 UTC

Dave Plowman wrote:

> Tell the laptop to search for bluetooth devices and it doesn't find the
> phone

Anything if you run fsquirt.exe ?

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<iunb0hFb39U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25675&group=uk.d-i-y#25675

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:33:20 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:33 UTC

Dave Plowman wrote:

> I'm a bit wary as the only thing I really use Bluetooth for is the mouse,
> which works just fine.

mice/keyboards/headsets etc often use fixed PINs like 1111 or 1234.

Re: Bluetooth problem.

<5987265e1bdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25683&group=uk.d-i-y#25683

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 13:47:59 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:47 UTC

In article <iunatoFb39U2@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Dave Plowman wrote:

> > Tell the laptop to search for bluetooth devices and it doesn't find the
> > phone

> Anything if you run fsquirt.exe ?

Going to file transfer, it shows my old phone as a destination, although
it's not even powered up. But not the current one. Which doesn't surprise
me as it's not paired.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *