Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 23:33:53 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Subject: Strange home networking problems
 by: JoeJoe - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 22:33 UTC

Received a new modem/router from PLUSNET - hub 2 - to replace the hub 1
that I have been using for a few years.

All seems to work fine apart from a couple of issues:

1. I can no longer access my Micro Server from my desktop PC
2. the router reports my desktop PC twice in its list of devices
connected to my home network.

My topology (hasn't changed for a few years and worked fine until the
swap): A photo is here https://ibb.co/NN0tC8S

- The house is fully wired with a router, 3 mesh units providing wifi,
and an unmanaged switch connected to all the wall sockes around the house.
- The above router is seating on top on my desktop PC and connected to
it directly using one of the LAN sockets.
- The router acts as the only DHCP server on the network (turned of on
the mesh).
- The router has WiFi turned OFF
- 3 mesh devices are spread around the house. One of them connected
directly to the router as it seats next to it.
- An unmanaged switch connected to the router and then to several
sockets/devices around the house (desktops, TVs, etc).
- 2 further mesh units around the house connected to the switch using a
cable
- Mesh is in BRIDGE mode
- The microserver is used for daily file backup of several PCs at home
and as a media server for the TVs

Comments:

- all I did when swapping the routers was to turn the wifi off on it
(and set up the network nae/password etc).
- The microserver appears to be on the network according to the home
network map of the router
- The media server (Serviio) running on it can still be accessed/used
from the TVs
- I did notice that in the home network's list of connected devices as
reported by the router (in the settings) my desktop PC appears twice...
with two different IP addresses.

I had a similar issue in the past with connecting to the media server
(search for topic "Laptop cannot see PC on the (home) network" here) and
was advised to use the "net use x: \\microservergen8\d /savecred
/persistent:yes" once which solved the problem. It now reports "System
error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found." when I try to do
it again.
- All the settings of the new hub/router seem to be identical to those
of the old one.

Any thoughts anyone?

Re: Strange home networking problems

<656dnelynZVS1rv-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2588&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2588

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 23:35:59 +0100
Subject: Re: Strange home networking problems
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 22:35 UTC

On 17/09/2022 23:33, JoeJoe wrote:
> Received a new modem/router from PLUSNET - hub 2 - to replace the hub 1
> that I have been using for a few years.
>
> All seems to work fine apart from a couple of issues:
>
> 1. I can no longer access my Micro Server from my desktop PC
> 2. the router reports my desktop PC twice in its list of devices
> connected to my home network.
>

> My topology (hasn't changed for a few years and worked fine until the
> swap): A photo is here https://ibb.co/NN0tC8S
>
> - The house is fully wired with a router, 3 mesh units providing wifi,
> and an unmanaged switch connected to all the wall sockes around the house.
> - The above router is seating on top on my desktop PC and connected to
> it directly using one of the LAN sockets.
> - The router acts as the only DHCP server on the network (turned of on
> the mesh).
> - The router has WiFi turned OFF
> - 3 mesh devices are spread around the house. One of them connected
> directly to the router as it seats next to it.
> - An unmanaged switch connected to the router and then to several
> sockets/devices around the house (desktops, TVs, etc).
> - 2 further mesh units around the house connected to the switch using a
> cable
> - Mesh is in BRIDGE mode
> - The microserver is used for daily file backup of several PCs at home
> and as a media server for the TVs
>
> Comments:
>
> - all I did when swapping the routers was to turn the wifi off on it
> (and set up the network nae/password etc).
> - The microserver appears to be on the network according to the home
> network map of the router
> - The media server (Serviio) running on it can still be accessed/used
> from the TVs
> - I did notice that in the home network's list of connected devices as
> reported by the router (in the settings) my desktop PC appears twice...
> with two different IP addresses.
>
>  I had a similar issue in the past with connecting to the media server
> (search for topic "Laptop cannot see PC on the (home) network" here) and
> was advised to use the "net use x: \\microservergen8\d /savecred
> /persistent:yes" once which solved the problem. It now reports "System
> error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found." when I try to do
> it again.
> - All the settings of the new hub/router seem to be identical to those
> of the old one.
>

> Any thoughts anyone?

PS: I also cannot do a Remote Desktop Connection from my desktop now
(used to be able to until the swap)

Re: Strange home networking problems

<jonj3nF67f8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2589&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2589

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 18 Sep 2022 03:54:32 GMT
 by: Gordon - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 03:54 UTC

On 2022-09-17, JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
> On 17/09/2022 23:33, JoeJoe wrote:
>> Received a new modem/router from PLUSNET - hub 2 - to replace the hub 1
>> that I have been using for a few years.
>>
>> All seems to work fine apart from a couple of issues:
>>
>> 1. I can no longer access my Micro Server from my desktop PC
>> 2. the router reports my desktop PC twice in its list of devices
>> connected to my home network.
>>

>> My topology (hasn't changed for a few years and worked fine until the
>> swap): A photo is here https://ibb.co/NN0tC8S
>>
>> - The house is fully wired with a router, 3 mesh units providing wifi,
>> and an unmanaged switch connected to all the wall sockes around the house.
>> - The above router is seating on top on my desktop PC and connected to
>> it directly using one of the LAN sockets.
>> - The router acts as the only DHCP server on the network (turned of on
>> the mesh).
>> - The router has WiFi turned OFF
>> - 3 mesh devices are spread around the house. One of them connected
>> directly to the router as it seats next to it.
>> - An unmanaged switch connected to the router and then to several
>> sockets/devices around the house (desktops, TVs, etc).
>> - 2 further mesh units around the house connected to the switch using a
>> cable
>> - Mesh is in BRIDGE mode
>> - The microserver is used for daily file backup of several PCs at home
>> and as a media server for the TVs
>>
>> Comments:
>>
>> - all I did when swapping the routers was to turn the wifi off on it
>> (and set up the network nae/password etc).
>> - The microserver appears to be on the network according to the home
>> network map of the router
>> - The media server (Serviio) running on it can still be accessed/used
>> from the TVs
>> - I did notice that in the home network's list of connected devices as
>> reported by the router (in the settings) my desktop PC appears twice...
>> with two different IP addresses.
>>
>>  I had a similar issue in the past with connecting to the media server
>> (search for topic "Laptop cannot see PC on the (home) network" here) and
>> was advised to use the "net use x: \\microservergen8\d /savecred
>> /persistent:yes" once which solved the problem. It now reports "System
>> error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found." when I try to do
>> it again.
>> - All the settings of the new hub/router seem to be identical to those
>> of the old one.
>>

>> Any thoughts anyone?
>
> PS: I also cannot do a Remote Desktop Connection from my desktop now
> (used to be able to until the swap)

What IPs is the DHCP giving out, what IP is on your server and the desktop.
On the same sub-net?

Try putting some IP numbers on your diagram. Might help. That is my
suggestion.

Re: Strange home networking problems

<rEudnXC_LZ5HQbv-nZ2dnZfqnPpg4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2590&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2590

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 09:54:39 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 08:54 UTC

On 18/09/2022 04:54, Gordon wrote:
> On 2022-09-17, JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 17/09/2022 23:33, JoeJoe wrote:
>>> Received a new modem/router from PLUSNET - hub 2 - to replace the hub 1
>>> that I have been using for a few years.
>>>
>>> All seems to work fine apart from a couple of issues:
>>>
>>> 1. I can no longer access my Micro Server from my desktop PC
>>> 2. the router reports my desktop PC twice in its list of devices
>>> connected to my home network.
>>>

>>> My topology (hasn't changed for a few years and worked fine until the
>>> swap): A photo is here https://ibb.co/NN0tC8S
>>>
>>> - The house is fully wired with a router, 3 mesh units providing wifi,
>>> and an unmanaged switch connected to all the wall sockes around the house.
>>> - The above router is seating on top on my desktop PC and connected to
>>> it directly using one of the LAN sockets.
>>> - The router acts as the only DHCP server on the network (turned of on
>>> the mesh).
>>> - The router has WiFi turned OFF
>>> - 3 mesh devices are spread around the house. One of them connected
>>> directly to the router as it seats next to it.
>>> - An unmanaged switch connected to the router and then to several
>>> sockets/devices around the house (desktops, TVs, etc).
>>> - 2 further mesh units around the house connected to the switch using a
>>> cable
>>> - Mesh is in BRIDGE mode
>>> - The microserver is used for daily file backup of several PCs at home
>>> and as a media server for the TVs
>>>
>>> Comments:
>>>
>>> - all I did when swapping the routers was to turn the wifi off on it
>>> (and set up the network nae/password etc).
>>> - The microserver appears to be on the network according to the home
>>> network map of the router
>>> - The media server (Serviio) running on it can still be accessed/used
>>> from the TVs
>>> - I did notice that in the home network's list of connected devices as
>>> reported by the router (in the settings) my desktop PC appears twice...
>>> with two different IP addresses.
>>>
>>>  I had a similar issue in the past with connecting to the media server
>>> (search for topic "Laptop cannot see PC on the (home) network" here) and
>>> was advised to use the "net use x: \\microservergen8\d /savecred
>>> /persistent:yes" once which solved the problem. It now reports "System
>>> error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found." when I try to do
>>> it again.
>>> - All the settings of the new hub/router seem to be identical to those
>>> of the old one.
>>>

>>> Any thoughts anyone?
>>
>> PS: I also cannot do a Remote Desktop Connection from my desktop now
>> (used to be able to until the swap)
>
> What IPs is the DHCP giving out, what IP is on your server and the desktop.
> On the same sub-net?
>
> Try putting some IP numbers on your diagram. Might help. That is my
> suggestion.

The DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 -> 192.168.1.253 (see here:
https://ibb.co/gDy8VdF) This is the same range that was used with the
old hub (default)

The topology with IP addresses is here: https://ibb.co/0BsXD97

1. How come unit1 of the mesh that is connected directly to the router
was allocated an IP address outside the range?

2. PC1 appears in the router map as connected to both (via) port1 (wifi
via the mesh) and port 2 (wired directly). I assume that this is
because it had at some stage the wifi adapter enabled? I disabled it to
see if the connection via the mesh will disappear, but it did not.
Should this happen only after I restart the router). It is a problem?
I have had it enabled for years without a problem, but never noticed
that it was allocated two IP address (didn't check...).

Re: Strange home networking problems

<rEudnXO_LZ75QLv-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2591&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2591

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 09:57:07 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 08:57 UTC

On 18/09/2022 09:54, JoeJoe wrote:
> On 18/09/2022 04:54, Gordon wrote:

>>> PS: I also cannot do a Remote Desktop Connection from my desktop now
>>> (used to be able to until the swap)
>>
>> What IPs is the DHCP giving out, what IP is on your server and the
>> desktop.
>> On the same sub-net?
>>
>> Try putting some IP numbers on your diagram. Might help. That is my
>> suggestion.
>
> The DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 -> 192.168.1.253 (see here:
> https://ibb.co/gDy8VdF)   This is the same range that was used with the
> old hub (default)
>

> The topology with IP addresses is here:  https://ibb.co/0BsXD97
>

> 1. How come unit1 of the mesh that is connected directly to the router
> was allocated an IP address outside the range?
>
> 2. PC1 appears in the router map as connected to both (via) port1 (wifi
> via the mesh) and port 2 (wired directly).  I assume that this is
> because it had at some stage the wifi adapter enabled?  I disabled it to
> see if the connection via the mesh will disappear, but it did not.
> Should this happen only after I restart the router).  It is a problem? I
> have had it enabled for years without a problem, but never noticed that
> it was allocated two IP address (didn't check...).

Oops. In the diagram that I attached above, the IP address of PC1 via
port1 should have been 192.168.1.67, not 65 at the end.