Pause for storage relocation.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Trying to find a Parkinson interview

SubjectAuthor
* Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
+- Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewJeff Layman
|+* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
||+* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewJeff Layman
|||`* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
||| `* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewIndy Jess John
|||  `* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
|||   `* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewIndy Jess John
|||    `* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
|||     `* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewIndy Jess John
|||      `- Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
||`* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDave W
|| +* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDave W
|| |`- Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
|| `- Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey
|`- Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewMB
 `* Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  `- Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interviewDavey

1
Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfijqb$gsi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25900&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25900

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Trying to find a Parkinson interview
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 10:27:39 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:27 UTC

I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube, even
though there are many others, and one site directed me to Disney+. I
could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a very
unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody (something?) called
Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept on telling me to use
social media, however many times I said I don't use it. I could not get
a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and eventually I called by 'phone, and
was told that they do not have Parkinson interviews. At least I got an
answer, even if the muzak that came on when I went to the queue nearly
deafened me.
So how do I find this episode?
Any pointers most welcome.
--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfikuc$8hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25902&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25902

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 10:46:48 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:46 UTC

Does it actually exist? I'm pretty certain the Oscar Peterson one does as
that was when Oscar was actually allowed to sing and sounded like a quiet
version of Nat King Cole in fact, though he was, shall we say quite a large
chap. I don't recall Phil Silvers, when did he pass away, it was a very long
time ago, before Oscar Peterson as I recall.
Brian, what you might have seen is one of the compilations that the BBC
used to air of famous interviews like the Emu one.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message
>I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
> with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube, even
> though there are many others, and one site directed me to Disney+. I
> could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a very
> unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody (something?) called
> Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept on telling me to use
> social media, however many times I said I don't use it. I could not get
> a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and eventually I called by 'phone, and
> was told that they do not have Parkinson interviews. At least I got an
> answer, even if the muzak that came on when I went to the queue nearly
> deafened me.
> So how do I find this episode?
> Any pointers most welcome.
> --
> Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfimk2$jac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25903&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25903

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:30 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 10:15 UTC

On 18/08/2021 10:27, Davey wrote:
> I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
> with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube, even
> though there are many others, and one site directed me to Disney+. I
> could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a very
> unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody (something?) called
> Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept on telling me to use
> social media, however many times I said I don't use it. I could not get
> a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and eventually I called by 'phone, and
> was told that they do not have Parkinson interviews. At least I got an
> answer, even if the muzak that came on when I went to the queue nearly
> deafened me.
> So how do I find this episode?
> Any pointers most welcome.
Is this of any help?
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>

Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson.
Unfortunately, IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>

I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".

--

Jeff

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfipp1$gsi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25904&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25904

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:09:21 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:09 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:30 +0100
Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 18/08/2021 10:27, Davey wrote:
> > I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
> > with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube,
> > even though there are many others, and one site directed me to
> > Disney+. I could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a
> > very unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody
> > (something?) called Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept
> > on telling me to use social media, however many times I said I
> > don't use it. I could not get a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and
> > eventually I called by 'phone, and was told that they do not have
> > Parkinson interviews. At least I got an answer, even if the muzak
> > that came on when I went to the queue nearly deafened me.
> > So how do I find this episode?
> > Any pointers most welcome.
> Is this of any help?
> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>
>
> Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson.
> Unfortunately, IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>
>
> I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".

SIMKL
says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever? Darn!!!

S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3, Episode
14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One

--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfir9u$jfk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25907&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25907

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:35:26 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:35 UTC

On 18/08/2021 12:09, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:30 +0100
> Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 18/08/2021 10:27, Davey wrote:
>>> I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
>>> with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube,
>>> even though there are many others, and one site directed me to
>>> Disney+. I could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a
>>> very unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody
>>> (something?) called Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept
>>> on telling me to use social media, however many times I said I
>>> don't use it. I could not get a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and
>>> eventually I called by 'phone, and was told that they do not have
>>> Parkinson interviews. At least I got an answer, even if the muzak
>>> that came on when I went to the queue nearly deafened me.
>>> So how do I find this episode?
>>> Any pointers most welcome.
>> Is this of any help?
>> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>
>>
>> Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson.
>> Unfortunately, IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
>> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>
>>
>> I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".
>>

> SIMKL
> says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
> that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever? Darn!!!

I think 8 December was the "Release date":
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/releaseinfo?ref_=ttfc_ql_2>

Wasn't video tape still pretty expensive in 1973 and likely to be
reused? Or was Parkinson filmed rather than taped?

> S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3, Episode
> 14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One

Was Phil Silvers interviewed again by Parkinson in 1974?
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7dwtkAbhE>
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdTZMnqFIMA> (Part II)

--

Jeff

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfisp3$gsi$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25908&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25908

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 13:00:34 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:00 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:35:26 +0100
Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 18/08/2021 12:09, Davey wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:30 +0100
> > Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> Is this of any help?
> >> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>
> >>
> >> Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson.
> >> Unfortunately, IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
> >> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>
> >>
> >> I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".
> >>

> > SIMKL
> > says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
> > that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever?
> > Darn!!!
>
> I think 8 December was the "Release date":
> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/releaseinfo?ref_=ttfc_ql_2>
>
> Wasn't video tape still pretty expensive in 1973 and likely to be
> reused? Or was Parkinson filmed rather than taped?
>
> > S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3,
> > Episode 14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One
>
> Was Phil Silvers interviewed again by Parkinson in 1974?
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7dwtkAbhE>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdTZMnqFIMA> (Part II)

It is the specific episode with both Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson
that I want, though.
Thanks anyway.
--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfj0up$pjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25909&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25909

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:11:51 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 13:11 UTC

On 18/08/2021 13:00, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:35:26 +0100
> Jeff Layman<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 18/08/2021 12:09, Davey wrote:

>>> SIMKL
>>> says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
>>> that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever?
>>> Darn!!!
>>
>> I think 8 December was the "Release date":
>> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/releaseinfo?ref_=ttfc_ql_2>
>>
>> Wasn't video tape still pretty expensive in 1973 and likely to be
>> reused? Or was Parkinson filmed rather than taped?
>>
>>> S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3,
>>> Episode 14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One
>>
>> Was Phil Silvers interviewed again by Parkinson in 1974?
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7dwtkAbhE>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdTZMnqFIMA> (Part II)
>>

> It is the specific episode with both Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson
> that I want, though.
> Thanks anyway.

I did a hunt and found a mention of the episode on the BBC Archive bit
of twitter.

There was a comment that this episode is omitted from the box set
because of copyright issues. That might explain why it isn't on youtube
either.

Jim

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<l16qhgt6oplggtbfda4tbria6mhp3fq2ov@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25911&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25911

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:26:30 +0100
 by: Dave W - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:26 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:09:21 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:30 +0100
>Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 18/08/2021 10:27, Davey wrote:
>> > I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
>> > with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube,
>> > even though there are many others, and one site directed me to
>> > Disney+. I could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a
>> > very unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody
>> > (something?) called Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept
>> > on telling me to use social media, however many times I said I
>> > don't use it. I could not get a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and
>> > eventually I called by 'phone, and was told that they do not have
>> > Parkinson interviews. At least I got an answer, even if the muzak
>> > that came on when I went to the queue nearly deafened me.
>> > So how do I find this episode?
>> > Any pointers most welcome.
>> Is this of any help?
>> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>
>>
>> Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson.
>> Unfortunately, IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
>> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>
>>
>> I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".
>>

>SIMKL
>says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
>that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever? Darn!!!
>
>S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3, Episode
>14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One

IMDB's cast list for that episode has Phil Silvers but not Oscar
Peterson. Is it possible they played a video of Oscar on the show?
--
Dave W

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<je8qhgdlv990bk6rtituri6op0qn6u2db2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25912&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25912

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:08:01 +0100
 by: Dave W - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:08 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:26:30 +0100, Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:09:21 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:30 +0100
>>Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Is this of any help?
>>> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>
>>>
>>> Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson.
>>> Unfortunately, IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
>>> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>
>>>
>>> I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".
>>>

>>SIMKL
>>says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
>>that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever? Darn!!!
>>
>>S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3, Episode
>>14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One
>>

>IMDB's cast list for that episode has Phil Silvers but not Oscar
>Peterson. Is it possible they played a video of Oscar on the show?
I've just found SIMKL's website:
https://simkl.com/tv/5715/parkinson/season-3/episode-14/
It says the episode includes both Phil and Oscar and is on Disney+,
but you have to pay for that.
--
Dave W

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfjc1f$e5n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25913&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25913

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 17:21:03 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:21 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:08:01 +0100
Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:26:30 +0100, Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:09:21 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
> >wrote:

> >>SIMKL
> >>says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
> >>that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever?
> >>Darn!!!
> >>
> >>S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3,
> >>Episode 14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One
> >>

> >IMDB's cast list for that episode has Phil Silvers but not Oscar
> >Peterson. Is it possible they played a video of Oscar on the show?
>
> I've just found SIMKL's website:
> https://simkl.com/tv/5715/parkinson/season-3/episode-14/
> It says the episode includes both Phil and Oscar and is on Disney+,
> but you have to pay for that.

Disney+ say they have no Parkinson episodes.
--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfjc7e$e5n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25914&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25914

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 17:24:14 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:24 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:26:30 +0100
Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:09:21 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:15:30 +0100
> >Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> Is this of any help?
> >> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>
> >>
> >> Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson.
> >> Unfortunately, IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
> >> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>
> >>
> >> I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".
> >>

> >SIMKL
> >says it aired on Dec. 09. but what's a day? Does this Parkinson mean
> >that there are several episodes that have disappeared for ever?
> >Darn!!!
> >
> >S03E14 : Oscar Peterson, Orsted Pedersen, Phil Silvers Season 3,
> >Episode 14 | Aired on December 9, 1973 | 60 min. | BBC One
> >

> IMDB's cast list for that episode has Phil Silvers but not Oscar
> Peterson. Is it possible they played a video of Oscar on the show?

The best part of the show was when Phil Silvers sat down next to Oscar
Peterson at the piano, and played with him. He looked skyward, and
exclaimed "Mama! I'm playing piano with Oscar Peterson!"
--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfjcer$e5n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25915&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25915

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 17:28:11 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:28 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:11:51 +0100
Indy Jess John <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

> On 18/08/2021 13:00, Davey wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:35:26 +0100
> > Jeff Layman<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> I think 8 December was the "Release date":
> >> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/releaseinfo?ref_=ttfc_ql_2>
> >>
> >> Wasn't video tape still pretty expensive in 1973 and likely to be
> >> reused? Or was Parkinson filmed rather than taped?

> >> Was Phil Silvers interviewed again by Parkinson in 1974?
> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7dwtkAbhE>
> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdTZMnqFIMA> (Part II)
> >>

> > It is the specific episode with both Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson
> > that I want, though.
> > Thanks anyway.
>
> I did a hunt and found a mention of the episode on the BBC Archive
> bit of twitter.
>
> There was a comment that this episode is omitted from the box set
> because of copyright issues. That might explain why it isn't on
> youtube either.
>
> Jim

That makes some sense. I wonder how I could find a copy, then, even via
a legitimate process? Ask the BBC?
--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfjn89$d9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25918&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25918

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:32:22 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 19:32 UTC

On 18/08/2021 17:28, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:11:51 +0100
> Indy Jess John<bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18/08/2021 13:00, Davey wrote:

>>> It is the specific episode with both Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson
>>> that I want, though.
>>> Thanks anyway.
>>
>> I did a hunt and found a mention of the episode on the BBC Archive
>> bit of twitter.
>>
>> There was a comment that this episode is omitted from the box set
>> because of copyright issues. That might explain why it isn't on
>> youtube either.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> That makes some sense. I wonder how I could find a copy, then, even via
> a legitimate process? Ask the BBC?

If you are able to receive binary newsgroups, you could put a request on
alt.binaries.sounds.radio.bbc

Give the details (Series 3 Episode 14 and the date broadcast: 8 December
1973), and somebody might have it.

Jim

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfjnfh$1ra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25919&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25919

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:37:02 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 19:37 UTC

On 18/08/2021 10:27, Davey wrote:
> I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
> with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube, even
> though there are many others, and one site directed me to Disney+. I
> could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a very
> unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody (something?) called
> Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept on telling me to use
> social media, however many times I said I don't use it. I could not get
> a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and eventually I called by 'phone, and
> was told that they do not have Parkinson interviews. At least I got an
> answer, even if the muzak that came on when I went to the queue nearly
> deafened me.
> So how do I find this episode?
> Any pointers most welcome.
> -- Davey.

Can't help with the recordings but there are some Oscar Peterson
programmes in the BBC Programme Index that seem to have a number of
Canadian artists so it might be worth looking at Archives Canada to see
if they hold sound recordings.

BBC Written Archives have just announced some more catalogue information
being put online.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfk3kq$ene$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25920&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25920

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 00:03:54 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:03 UTC

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:32:22 +0100
Indy Jess John <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

> On 18/08/2021 17:28, Davey wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:11:51 +0100

> >> I did a hunt and found a mention of the episode on the BBC Archive
> >> bit of twitter.
> >>
> >> There was a comment that this episode is omitted from the box set
> >> because of copyright issues. That might explain why it isn't on
> >> youtube either.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >>

> > That makes some sense. I wonder how I could find a copy, then, even
> > via a legitimate process? Ask the BBC?
>
> If you are able to receive binary newsgroups, you could put a request
> on alt.binaries.sounds.radio.bbc
>
> Give the details (Series 3 Episode 14 and the date broadcast: 8
> December 1973), and somebody might have it.
>
> Jim

I can't find that news-group listed on Eternal-September. And this is a
TV programme, not a radio programme, which '.sounds' implies.
But thanks for the suggestion.
--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfl5oo$tm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25924&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25924

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:46:12 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:46 UTC

On 19/08/2021 00:03, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:32:22 +0100
> Indy Jess John<bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18/08/2021 17:28, Davey wrote:

>>> That makes some sense. I wonder how I could find a copy, then, even
>>> via a legitimate process? Ask the BBC?
>>
>> If you are able to receive binary newsgroups, you could put a request
>> on alt.binaries.sounds.radio.bbc
>>
>> Give the details (Series 3 Episode 14 and the date broadcast: 8
>> December 1973), and somebody might have it.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> I can't find that news-group listed on Eternal-September. And this is a
> TV programme, not a radio programme, which '.sounds' implies.
> But thanks for the suggestion.

Eternal September is a text-only service. That is why you won't find
any newsgroups with "binaries" in their name.

I know the group I suggested is not really a TV newsgroup, but it is the
only one that restricts itself to BBC broadcasts and they do
occasionally include TV as well as radio. Provided it remains
predominately radio, they are tolerant of occasional excursions.

Unfortunately, now that Virginmedia have discontinued their newsgroups
service I no longer see binaries either (I am another Eternal-September
convert) so I can't do it for you, but I do remember what it looked like
when I was subscribed to it.

Jim

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfl7t9$e1t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25929&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25929

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:22:48 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:22 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:46:12 +0100
Indy Jess John <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

> On 19/08/2021 00:03, Davey wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:32:22 +0100

> >> If you are able to receive binary newsgroups, you could put a
> >> request on alt.binaries.sounds.radio.bbc
> >>
> >> Give the details (Series 3 Episode 14 and the date broadcast: 8
> >> December 1973), and somebody might have it.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >>

> > I can't find that news-group listed on Eternal-September. And this
> > is a TV programme, not a radio programme, which '.sounds' implies.
> > But thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Eternal September is a text-only service. That is why you won't find
> any newsgroups with "binaries" in their name.
>
> I know the group I suggested is not really a TV newsgroup, but it is
> the only one that restricts itself to BBC broadcasts and they do
> occasionally include TV as well as radio. Provided it remains
> predominately radio, they are tolerant of occasional excursions.
>
> Unfortunately, now that Virginmedia have discontinued their
> newsgroups service I no longer see binaries either (I am another
> Eternal-September convert) so I can't do it for you, but I do
> remember what it looked like when I was subscribed to it.
>
> Jim

Actually, there is a section of E-S devoted to alt.binaries.*, but I
haven't looked into any of them. The one you mention is not there.
I used to subscribe to binaries via a private server in Kansas, but the
owner has disappeared, probably into a hospital, and won't respond to
any form of contact. I sent the cops round once before, from here
in the UK, maybe I need to do so again.
--
Davey.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfldi6$n1p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25930&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25930

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:59:14 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:59 UTC

As it was a BBC program, I'd definitely start there myself.

"Jeff Layman" <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 18/08/2021 10:27, Davey wrote:
>> I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
>> with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube, even
>> though there are many others, and one site directed me to Disney+. I
>> could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a very
>> unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody (something?) called
>> Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept on telling me to use
>> social media, however many times I said I don't use it. I could not get
>> a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and eventually I called by 'phone, and
>> was told that they do not have Parkinson interviews. At least I got an
>> answer, even if the muzak that came on when I went to the queue nearly
>> deafened me.
>> So how do I find this episode?
>> Any pointers most welcome.
> Is this of any help?
> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast>
>
> Looks like it was the 8 December 1973 episode of Parkinson. Unfortunately,
> IMDB doesn't appear to have any more info:
> <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0669893/characters/nm0799014?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t6>
>
> I guess that it might be one of the "lost recordings".
>
> --
>
> Jeff

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sfldlg$o4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25931&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25931

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:01:00 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 11:01 UTC

If its him you want there was a whole series made on the Thames on board of
a jazz cruise boat. Brian

"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:sfjnfh$1ra$1@dont-email.me...
> On 18/08/2021 10:27, Davey wrote:
>> I am trying to locate an episode of Parkinson, Series 3, Episode 14,
>> with Phil Silvers and Oscar Peterson. I can't find it on You-Tube, even
>> though there are many others, and one site directed me to Disney+. I
>> could not find it in their list of shows, and I had a very
>> unsatisfactory Online Chat discussion with somebody (something?) called
>> Zoi, who had a vague grasp of English and kept on telling me to use
>> social media, however many times I said I don't use it. I could not get
>> a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer, and eventually I called by 'phone, and
>> was told that they do not have Parkinson interviews. At least I got an
>> answer, even if the muzak that came on when I went to the queue nearly
>> deafened me.
>> So how do I find this episode?
>> Any pointers most welcome.
>> -- Davey.
>
> Can't help with the recordings but there are some Oscar Peterson
> programmes in the BBC Programme Index that seem to have a number of
> Canadian artists so it might be worth looking at Archives Canada to see if
> they hold sound recordings.
>
> BBC Written Archives have just announced some more catalogue information
> being put online.

Re: Trying to find a Parkinson interview

<sflh5c$f9r$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25932&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25932

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 13:00:44 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:00 UTC

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:01:00 +0100
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> If its him you want there was a whole series made on the Thames on
> board of a jazz cruise boat. Brian

It is the one specific episode I'm looking for.
--
Davey.