This screen intentionally left blank.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

SubjectAuthor
* OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsARW
+* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsGB
|+- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsRod Speed
|+- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
|+* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petswilliamwright
||`* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsJim GM4DHJ ...
|| +* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsSysadmin
|| |`- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsRod Speed
|| `- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petswilliamwright
|`- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
|+* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsCursitor Doom
||+* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petscharles
|||+* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsCursitor Doom
|||`* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsAndrew
||| `* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petscharles
|||  `- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsAndrew
||+- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsTim Lamb
||`- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsFredxx
|`* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsChris Green
| `- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsDave Plowman (News)
+- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsCursitor Doom
+* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsOwain Lastname
|`* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsChris Bacon
| `* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsOwain Lastname
|  +- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsChris Bacon
|  `* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsARW
|   +- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petswilliamwright
|   `- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsAndrew
+- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsJim GM4DHJ ...
 `* Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsDave Plowman (News)
  `- Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for petsJim GM4DHJ ...

Pages:12
Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<sm5m5b$163$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25630&group=uk.d-i-y#25630

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:41:41 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:41 UTC

On 05/11/2021 21:22, charles wrote:
> In article <b66bog1u1o5nfc8jc4v2ie9m3ad0rkkmjn@4ax.com>,
> Cursitor Doom <cd@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:30:48 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
>> <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

>>> They were trying to do a live interview outside the Headingly cricket
>>> ground, on the BBC News - all you could hear in the background was
>>> bang, crash, thump :-)
>
>> More like ping, ting & ding. Fireworks have been losing their bang for
>> decades now. My father told me they could buy bangers after the war
>> that could blow steel buckets clean over the house. Like so much else,
>> they're a shadow of what was once available pre 'elf n' safe tea.
>
> Probably about 20 years ago, someone put a large banger inside a phone box
> near here. The lid went up, so the sides fell down and then the lid came
> back down,

You need some pretty powerful explosives to demolish an old BT
red phone box with decades of thick red paint layers too.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<sm5mbm$163$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25632&group=uk.d-i-y#25632

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:45:05 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:45 UTC

On 06/11/2021 01:15, ARW wrote:
>>> before 6pm and after 11pm, or midnight on Nov 5 and 1am on Hogmanay,
>>> Chinese New Year and Diwali.
>>> https://www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law
>>
>> Page is out of date or refers to England only.
>> https://firescotland.gov.uk/your-safety/outdoors/fireworks-safety/
>>
>> It's only just gone 10pm and there's another load of bangs and the dog
>> downstairs is going nuts.
>>

> But no regs on burning old carpets and settees on the bonfire:-)

I don't think that deters the folks in Northern Ireland in July.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<sm5pkk$cfn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25658&group=uk.d-i-y#25658

From: jon...@home.net (Sysadmin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 11:41:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Sysadmin - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 11:41 UTC

On Sat, 06 Nov 2021 09:16:33 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

> On 06/11/2021 03:16, williamwright wrote:
>>>>

>>> It sounds like there's a major war on round here. What a fucking awful
>>> waste of money!
>>>

>> I had a bonfire party with lots of fireworks. The children enjoyed the
>> fireworks, and just generally played around together (because of Covid
>> some hadn't seen their cousins for ages.) Amongst the adults it brought
>> a lot of old friends together. News and gossip was exchanged. Lots of
>> food and booze was consumed. There was even some networking! There was
>> a marvellous spirit of co-operation during both the preparations and
>> the actual event. I really can't think of a better way to spend money,
>> than to use it to host such a joyous event.
>>
>> Bill
> haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Don't be cynical Jim, you will get old and lonely one day.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<59871ae4a6charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25659&group=uk.d-i-y#25659

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 11:42:41 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 11:42 UTC

In article <sm5m5b$163$2@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew
<Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2021 21:22, charles wrote:
> > In article <b66bog1u1o5nfc8jc4v2ie9m3ad0rkkmjn@4ax.com>, Cursitor Doom
> > <cd@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> More like ping, ting & ding. Fireworks have been losing their bang for
> >> decades now. My father told me they could buy bangers after the war
> >> that could blow steel buckets clean over the house. Like so much else,
> >> they're a shadow of what was once available pre 'elf n' safe tea.
> >
> > Probably about 20 years ago, someone put a large banger inside a phone
> > box near here. The lid went up, so the sides fell down and then the
> > lid came back down,
> >

> You need some pretty powerful explosives to demolish an old BT red phone
> box with decades of thick red paint layers too.

The roof is only held in place by pegs into the sides. Lift the roof and
it falls apart. None of the individual parts were brokem - apart from some
glass. paint =- what's that?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<sm5ptg$cfn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25660&group=uk.d-i-y#25660

From: jon...@home.net (Sysadmin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 11:45:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Sysadmin - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 11:45 UTC

On Sat, 06 Nov 2021 10:33:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2021 09:12:17 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> In London, the bus conductors printed passengers' tickets from a roll.
>> For some unfathomable reason, the ticket paper was wound on a cardboard
>> tube about 6 cm long and 4 cm in diameter, with a 1 cm hole in the
>> middle, and so strong you could jump up and down on it without making
>> the slightest impression. If you were lucky, towards the end of October
>> the bus conductor might give you the empty one when he refilled the
>> ticket machine. A small piece of dowel would be araldited in one end,
>> and the remaining space filled with the contents of six penny bangers.
>> The fuse of one of the bangers was then araldited in the top to seal
>> it. Be in no doubt these were very effective at making an extremely
>> loud bang.
>>
>> Those with no respect for safety used an empty Sparklets bulb in the
>> same way. I never made one, and kept well round the corner when anyone
>> set one off. How they avoided the shrapnel I'll never know.
>
> A friend of mine used to make what he called "simulated atomic
> explosions".
>
> He ground up an old magnesium shell casing to get lots of powder. Then
> did the chlorate/sugar thing in an empty paint can with a well fitting
> lid. Petrol was involved somewhere.

We used sparklet soda cylinders.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<sm5sad$qp5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25667&group=uk.d-i-y#25667

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:26:53 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:26 UTC

On 06/11/2021 11:42, charles wrote:
> In article <sm5m5b$163$2@gioia.aioe.org>, Andrew
> <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 05/11/2021 21:22, charles wrote:

>>> Probably about 20 years ago, someone put a large banger inside a phone
>>> box near here. The lid went up, so the sides fell down and then the
>>> lid came back down,
>>>

>> You need some pretty powerful explosives to demolish an old BT red phone
>> box with decades of thick red paint layers too.
>
> The roof is only held in place by pegs into the sides. Lift the roof and
> it falls apart. None of the individual parts were brokem - apart from some
> glass. paint =- what's that?

My cousin was a GPO apprentice in the 70's and worked for GPO/BT for
decades. He bought 2 or 3 old red phone boxes. There are family photos
of him and his dad strapping one that had been delivered to their
home and left upright in the drive, onto a heavy duty trailer frame
which they then winched over, with restraining straps so that the
box was horizontal on the trailer base. then they manhandled it on
the trailer wheels into the back garden and reversed the process.
I don't remember any precautions about it falling apart.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<59871f69a8dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25677&group=uk.d-i-y#25677

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 12:32:01 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:32 UTC

In article <8nig5i-ls8l1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>,
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Harry Bloomfield, Esq. <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
> > After serious thinking ARW wrote :
> > > And yes I have put it on for Tony. Last year he was a shivering wreck due to
> > > the fireworks when I got late home from work.
> >
> > They were trying to do a live interview outside the Headingly cricket
> > ground, on the BBC News - all you could hear in the background was
> > bang, crash, thump :-)

> I have never really understood why they do this, what is the point of
> interviewing someone 'outside the xyzabc centre' just because the
> interview is something to do with what the xyzabc centre does. Would
> it not be much better for the quality of the sound and the comfort of
> those taking part to interview them in a studio somewhere?

You think every news organisation has a nice quiet (and free) studio handy?

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<59871fa41fdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25678&group=uk.d-i-y#25678

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 12:34:31 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:34 UTC

In article <sm5h46$s4j$2@dont-email.me>,
Jim GM4DHJ ... <kinvig.netta@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2021 18:07, ARW wrote:
> > And yes I have put it on for Tony. Last year he was a shivering wreck
> > due to the fireworks when I got late home from work.
> >

> my cat doesn't give a fuck about them....

I'd guess your cat is used to ignoring things it hears, living with you.

--
*You sound reasonable......time to up my medication

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<sm69a0$2v5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25708&group=uk.d-i-y#25708

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim GM4DHJ ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 16:08:32 +0000
 by: Jim GM4DHJ ... - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 16:08 UTC

> In article <sm5h46$s4j$2@dont-email.me>,
> Jim GM4DHJ ... <kinvig.netta@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On 05/11/2021 18:07, ARW wrote:
>>> And yes I have put it on for Tony. Last year he was a shivering wreck
>>> due to the fireworks when I got late home from work.
>>>

>> my cat doesn't give a fuck about them....
>
> I'd guess your cat is used to ignoring things it hears, living with you.

indeed

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<iunri4F3f36U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25720&group=uk.d-i-y#25720

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 04:15:46 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:15 UTC

Sysadmin <jon@home.net> wrote
> Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
>> williamwright wrote
>>> GB wrote

>>> I had a bonfire party with lots of fireworks. The children enjoyed the
>>> fireworks, and just generally played around together (because of Covid
>>> some hadn't seen their cousins for ages.) Amongst the adults it brought
>>> a lot of old friends together. News and gossip was exchanged. Lots of
>>> food and booze was consumed. There was even some networking! There was
>>> a marvellous spirit of co-operation during both the preparations and
>>> the actual event. I really can't think of a better way to spend money,
>>> than to use it to host such a joyous event.

>> haaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> Don't be cynical Jim, you will get old and lonely one day.

Old, yep, lonely, nope.

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<iunrnkF36ndU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25722&group=uk.d-i-y#25722

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:18:45 +0000
 by: williamwright - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:18 UTC

On 06/11/2021 09:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

>> I had a bonfire party with lots of fireworks. The children enjoyed the
>> fireworks, and just generally played around together (because of Covid
>> some hadn't seen their cousins for ages.) Amongst the adults it
>> brought a lot of old friends together. News and gossip was exchanged.
>> Lots of food and booze was consumed. There was even some networking!
>> There was a marvellous spirit of co-operation during both the
>> preparations and the actual event. I really can't think of a better
>> way to spend money, than to use it to host such a joyous event.
>>
>> Bill

> haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good solid argument there.

Bill

Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets

<smb6dp$vv0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25932&group=uk.d-i-y#25932

From: fre...@nospam.co.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:50:01 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:50 UTC

On 05/11/2021 20:52, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:30:48 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
> <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> After serious thinking ARW wrote :
>>> And yes I have put it on for Tony. Last year he was a shivering wreck due to
>>> the fireworks when I got late home from work.
>>
>> They were trying to do a live interview outside the Headingly cricket
>> ground, on the BBC News - all you could hear in the background was
>> bang, crash, thump :-)
>
> More like ping, ting & ding. Fireworks have been losing their bang for
> decades now.

I have found sellers more helpful in giving the noise level on a box
label. I just aimed for the 'High' variety for maximum enjoyment.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT Classic FM is playing soothing music tonight for pets