* lilo hereby declares OPN a virtual pain in the ass :)

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: DTV Series Link

SubjectAuthor
* DTV Series LinkDickie mint
+* Re: DTV Series LinkMB
|+- Re: DTV Series LinkJeff Layman
|+- Re: DTV Series LinkPeterC
|`- Re: DTV Series LinkBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+- Re: DTV Series LinkJeff Gaines
+- Re: DTV Series LinkJNugent
+- Re: DTV Series LinkNY
+* Re: DTV Series LinkChris J Dixon
|+- Re: DTV Series LinkDickie mint
|`- Re: DTV Series LinkChris J Dixon
`- Re: DTV Series LinkDickie mint

1
DTV Series Link

<inser3FpsbcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25768&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25768

From: richard_...@yahoo.co.uk (Dickie mint)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: DTV Series Link
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:15:31 +0100
 by: Dickie mint - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 12:15 UTC

I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.

But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
automatically when a new series starts.

So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
should have a new series link code?! Doh!

Re: DTV Series Link

<sfb1j8$gbg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25769&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25769

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: DTV Series Link
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:34:29 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 12:34 UTC

On 15/08/2021 13:15, Dickie mint wrote:
> I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
> PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
> Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>
> But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
> automatically when a new series starts.
>
> So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
> should have a new series link code?! Doh!

That seems to happen quite often, you do not even seem to be able to be
sure that a whole series will be recorded even when on the same channel.

Re: DTV Series Link

<xn0n1nzqj1c28et002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25770&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25770

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 15 Aug 2021 13:18:24 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:18 UTC

On 15/08/2021 in message <inser3FpsbcU1@mid.individual.net> Dickie mint
wrote:

>So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
>should have a new series link code?! Doh!

Somebody who has your best interests in mind :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Re: DTV Series Link

<sfb62g$8vo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25771&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25771

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:50:03 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:50 UTC

On 15/08/2021 13:34, MB wrote:
> On 15/08/2021 13:15, Dickie mint wrote:
>> I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
>> PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
>> Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>>
>> But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
>> automatically when a new series starts.
>>
>> So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
>> should have a new series link code?! Doh!
>
> That seems to happen quite often, you do not even seem to be able to be
> sure that a whole series will be recorded even when on the same channel.>

That is especially true for a series split across a season. It happened
when, for example, a 20(?)-episode Gotham series was split with 10 being
shown in spring, with the remaining 10 in autumn. Even if the series
link was set and the spring episodes recorded without problem, the
autumn episodes were missed as they were given a new series link.

--

Jeff

Re: DTV Series Link

<insml9Fre8nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25772&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25772

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:28:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:28 UTC

On 15/08/2021 01:15 pm, Dickie mint wrote:

> I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
> PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
> Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>
> But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
> automatically when a new series starts.
>
> So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
> should have a new series link code?! Doh!

Sky seems to achieve it.

Re: DTV Series Link

<nhna05iyr2lw$.1x8tt64btt4rt.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25775&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25775

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 16:21:53 +0100
 by: PeterC - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:21 UTC

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:34:29 +0100, MB wrote:

> On 15/08/2021 13:15, Dickie mint wrote:
>> I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
>> PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
>> Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>>
>> But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
>> automatically when a new series starts.
>>
>> So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
>> should have a new series link code?! Doh!
>
> That seems to happen quite often, you do not even seem to be able to be
> sure that a whole series will be recorded even when on the same channel.

Every couple of weeks lately I've had to select some BBC programmes again. 6
pm news and Look East are two.
Then some of the ITV, 4... and 5... like to record multiple times for the
same programmes, even for one-off films.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: DTV Series Link

<sfbopn$gtn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25795&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25795

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 20:09:46 +0100
 by: NY - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 19:09 UTC

"Dickie mint" <richard_taylor01@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
> PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
> Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>
> But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
> automatically when a new series starts.
>
> So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
> should have a new series link code?! Doh!

I've found a lot of programmes on various channels which change series-link
ID when they go from one series (US: season) to another. It's caught me out
before now, but I usually do a quick sanity check every few days to check
that every programme I have scheduled for today has another episode
scheduled for a week today. That's how I caught the series-link change for
Casualty.

Re: DTV Series Link

<sfd7tl$o6k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25816&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25816

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:33:56 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 08:33 UTC

I think dick head is the word you want.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:sfb1j8$gbg$1@dont-email.me...
> On 15/08/2021 13:15, Dickie mint wrote:
>> I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
>> PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
>> Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>>
>> But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
>> automatically when a new series starts.
>>
>> So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
>> should have a new series link code?! Doh!
>
> That seems to happen quite often, you do not even seem to be able to be
> sure that a whole series will be recorded even when on the same channel.

Re: DTV Series Link

<gr8khglsn3kom5n9al8ke6vhnljn6avdge@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25817&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25817

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:37:31 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 08:37 UTC

Dickie mint wrote:

>I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
>PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
>Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>
>But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
>automatically when a new series starts.
>
>So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
>should have a new series link code?! Doh!

The downside of a single link for all seasons is that if new and
repeated episodes are on air at the same time, the PVR will pick
them all up.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: DTV Series Link

<inuoomF9pfbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25820&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25820

From: richard_...@yahoo.co.uk (Dickie mint)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:17:10 +0100
 by: Dickie mint - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:17 UTC

On 16/08/2021 09:37, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> The downside of a single link for all seasons is that if new and
> repeated episodes are on air at the same time, the PVR will pick
> them all up.
>
> Chris

The CRID (series link code) should be set to be different for repeats.
That does usually happen, so they know how to do it!

Re: DTV Series Link

<inuosiF9pfbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25821&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25821

From: richard_...@yahoo.co.uk (Dickie mint)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:19:14 +0100
 by: Dickie mint - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:19 UTC

On 15/08/2021 13:15, Dickie mint wrote:
> I thought the idea of giving programmes series link codes was to enable
> PVRs to find it to record. Cleverly even when the channel time shifts it.
> Doesn't work across channels, bit of a missed opportunity there.
>
> But for programmes with multiple series it means it get recorded
> automatically when a new series starts.
>
> So, what <insert rude word here> decided that the new series of Casualty
> should have a new series link code?! Doh!
It's an old spec, but it's all here:
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102800_102899/10282202/01.02.01_60/ts_10282202v010201p.pdf

Re: DTV Series Link

<ufkshg55de9v2p95b90av0n9uqsv7pbnti@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25934&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#25934

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 13:47:26 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:47 UTC

Chris J Dixon wrote:

>The downside of a single link for all seasons is that if new and
>repeated episodes are on air at the same time, the PVR will pick
>them all up.

I set a series link for Grand Designs New Zealand on More 4. This
carried over to a repeated run of Grand Designs Australia, which
I allowed to record as I had missed some of them, but it has now
moved on to UK Grand Designs, and I have killed it.

Chris