From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: M525dw lase printer - cleaning the imaging drum?
Date: 9 Oct 2022 14:30:41 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 14:30 UTC

The black printing is becoming faint in parts.
I haven't yet run a cleaning cycle, but on looking at the cartridges the
imaging drum on the black catridge has some gunk adhering to it.

I have Googled for instructions, but HP say replace it, and the more
specific sites seem so far to be all about stripping and rebuilding (i.e.
remanufacturing) the cartridge, which looks over kill.

Has anyone cleaned this (or similar) laser printer?
I assume some Isoprpyl alcohol would clean the visible part of the drum
but at the moment the drum doesn't want to rotate when I try and twiddle
the plastic bits.

New set of toner probably called for.
I am not using original HP so perhaps the printer software isn't good at
estimating remaining toner but the printer seems to think that all
cartidges have some life left.

I have no idea how to accurately estimate what is left, and it is years
since I changed the original (HP) shipping set for these remanufactured
cartridges.

Advice and experience is, as usual, very welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: M525dw lase printer - cleaning the imaging drum?

<jqg6gaF1el7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2596&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2596

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: M525dw lase printer - cleaning the imaging drum?
Date: 9 Oct 2022 15:08:58 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:08 UTC

On Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:30:41 +0000, David wrote:

> The black printing is becoming faint in parts.
> I haven't yet run a cleaning cycle, but on looking at the cartridges the
> imaging drum on the black catridge has some gunk adhering to it.
>
> I have Googled for instructions, but HP say replace it, and the more
> specific sites seem so far to be all about stripping and rebuilding
> (i.e.
> remanufacturing) the cartridge, which looks over kill.
>
> Has anyone cleaned this (or similar) laser printer?
> I assume some Isoprpyl alcohol would clean the visible part of the drum
> but at the moment the drum doesn't want to rotate when I try and twiddle
> the plastic bits.
>
> New set of toner probably called for.
> I am not using original HP so perhaps the printer software isn't good at
> estimating remaining toner but the printer seems to think that all
> cartidges have some life left.
>
> I have no idea how to accurately estimate what is left, and it is years
> since I changed the original (HP) shipping set for these remanufactured
> cartridges.
>
> Advice and experience is, as usual, very welcome.

Hmmm....ran the cleaning cycle with standard paper then read it should be
acetate (which I thought you shouldn't feed through laser printers).

Anyway, it seems to be printing OK at the moment, although before a test
print seemed fine (bold black) but some normal printing didn't.

We shall see.

I should really take the black cartridge out again to see if the crud has
gone away.
Fun for another day.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: M525dw lase printer - cleaning the imaging drum?

<jqi3u1Fb03gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2597&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2597

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:37:20 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 08:37 UTC

Anything on https://www.youtube.com/user/viandant5/videos ?

--
Adrian C