I am a deeply superficial person. -Andy Warhol

aus+uk / uk.railway / Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

SubjectAuthor
* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillChris Holmes
+- Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillCharles Ellson
+- Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillD A Stocks
`* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillRoland Perry
 +* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillD A Stocks
 |`* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillChris Holmes
 | `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillRoland Perry
 |  `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillChris Holmes
 |   `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillD A Stocks
 |    `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillRecliner
 |     `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillD A Stocks
 |      `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillRoland Perry
 |       `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillD A Stocks
 |        `- Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillChris Holmes
 `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillAnna Noyd-Dryver
  `* Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillRoland Perry
   +- Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillChris Holmes
   `- Horsham to Victoria via Forest HillChris Holmes

1
Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1fp1f$5s6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26052&group=uk.railway#26052

From: chrispvh...@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:31:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Mxv1+4rO3B3iE89sSKoXcz/Gv74=
 by: Chris Holmes - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:31 UTC

Hi All,

I am
Planning a day out this Saturday and a tempted to go Train and take my (non
folding) bike…….

I want to break my journey on the outbound leg in Forest Hill, then carry
on to London Victoria and then get the most direct train I can home.

I don’t mind doing a bit of cycling in central London.

There appears to be a lack of trains between East Croydon & Victoria on
Saturday.

What is my best option for getting from Forest Hill to within striking
distance of Victoria? Avoiding the tube if possible.

Also, it seems the simplest (though not necessarily least expensive way to
make sure my ticket is valid is to buy a Horsham to London Zones 1-6
Travelcard

I have tried looking for tickets on Trainline and asked it for a return
from Horsham to London Zones 1-6 and it offers a ticket for around £16
(with a Senior Railcard). Is this a Travelcard.

Also if I have this ticket, what is the easiest / quickest way to get from
Horsham to Forest Hill?
--
Chris

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<8v1n3h9p60mpupp06p6epm3ol558p048dn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26088&group=uk.railway#26088

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:27:40 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:27 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:31:11 -0000 (UTC), Chris Holmes
<chrispvholmes@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am
>Planning a day out this Saturday and a tempted to go Train and take my (non
>folding) bike…….
>
>I want to break my journey on the outbound leg in Forest Hill, then carry
>on to London Victoria and then get the most direct train I can home.
>
>I don’t mind doing a bit of cycling in central London.
>
>There appears to be a lack of trains between East Croydon & Victoria on
>Saturday.
>
>What is my best option for getting from Forest Hill to within striking
>distance of Victoria? Avoiding the tube if possible.
>
>Also, it seems the simplest (though not necessarily least expensive way to
>make sure my ticket is valid is to buy a Horsham to London Zones 1-6
>Travelcard
>
>I have tried looking for tickets on Trainline and asked it for a return
>from Horsham to London Zones 1-6 and it offers a ticket for around £16
>(with a Senior Railcard). Is this a Travelcard.
>
>Also if I have this ticket, what is the easiest / quickest way to get from
>Horsham to Forest Hill?

NR journey planner says
Horsham > East Croydon > Norwood Junction > Forest Hill
twice an hour (xx.21, xx.51) at 1h 11m.
11-65 return with a Senior Railcard.

Depending on where exactly you want to wander of to, you might want to
get a return to one of the last three then purchase a Travelcard or
use Oyster/card if you have one.

It looks like only SE are running in/out of Victoria so the nearest
change points (if the trains are timetabled to stop) to go in there
look like Herne Hill, Denmark Hill and various points east.

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1gaj9$jb7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26111&group=uk.railway#26111

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:30:46 -0000
 by: D A Stocks - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:30 UTC

"Chris Holmes" <chrispvholmes@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> I am
> Planning a day out this Saturday and a tempted to go Train and take my
> (non
> folding) bike…….
>
> I want to break my journey on the outbound leg in Forest Hill, then carry
> on to London Victoria and then get the most direct train I can home.
>
> I don’t mind doing a bit of cycling in central London.
>
> There appears to be a lack of trains between East Croydon & Victoria on
> Saturday.

The fast services from the coast are diverted to London Bridge, so you can
cycle or use the underground between Charing Cross and Victoria. Note there
is effectively no train service between Forest Hill and London Bridge.

> What is my best option for getting from Forest Hill to within striking
> distance of Victoria? Avoiding the tube if possible.
Cycle to West Dulwich, train to Victoria? Google Maps is your friend here.

> Also, it seems the simplest (though not necessarily least expensive way to
> make sure my ticket is valid is to buy a Horsham to London Zones 1-6
> Travelcard
>
> I have tried looking for tickets on Trainline and asked it for a return
> from Horsham to London Zones 1-6 and it offers a ticket for around £16
> (with a Senior Railcard). Is this a Travelcard?
Yes.

> Also if I have this ticket, what is the easiest / quickest way to get from
> Horsham to Forest Hill?
Probably change at East Croydon and Norwood Junction. Use a jourmey Planner.

--
DAS

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<$ESq3aDmwAPiFA9L@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26118&group=uk.railway#26118

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 06:13:58 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 06:13 UTC

In message <t1fp1f$5s6$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:31:11 on Wed, 23 Mar
2022, Chris Holmes <chrispvholmes@gmail.com> remarked:

>Hi All,
>
>I am
>Planning a day out this Saturday and a tempted to go Train and take my (non
>folding) bike…….
>
>I want to break my journey on the outbound leg in Forest Hill, then carry
>on to London Victoria and then get the most direct train I can home.
>
>I don’t mind doing a bit of cycling in central London.
>
>There appears to be a lack of trains between East Croydon & Victoria on
>Saturday.
>
>What is my best option for getting from Forest Hill to within striking
>distance of Victoria? Avoiding the tube if possible.

I think your best bet is to correlate this map, with the same site's
list of planned closures.

<https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/London_Connect
ions.pdf>

Note that it's not very "geographic", New Cross and New Cross Gate are
adjacent, not a mile apart.

Depending on how close you need to be, I could suggest changing there
and ending up at Charing Cross. Then cycle 2 miles.

Or (if running that day) going round the outside, via Crystal Palace to
Victoria itself.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1hasl$n1m$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26130&group=uk.railway#26130

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:41:53 -0000
 by: D A Stocks - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:41 UTC

"Roland Perry" <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <t1fp1f$5s6$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:31:11 on Wed, 23 Mar
> 2022, Chris Holmes <chrispvholmes@gmail.com> remarked:
>>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I am
>>Planning a day out this Saturday and a tempted to go Train and take my
>>(non
>>folding) bike…….
>>
>>I want to break my journey on the outbound leg in Forest Hill, then carry
>>on to London Victoria and then get the most direct train I can home.
>>
>>I don’t mind doing a bit of cycling in central London.
>>
>>There appears to be a lack of trains between East Croydon & Victoria on
>>Saturday.
>>
>>What is my best option for getting from Forest Hill to within striking
>>distance of Victoria? Avoiding the tube if possible.
>
> I think your best bet is to correlate this map, with the same site's
> list of planned closures.
>
> <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/London_Connect
> ions.pdf>
>
> Note that it's not very "geographic", New Cross and New Cross Gate are
> adjacent, not a mile apart.
>
> Depending on how close you need to be, I could suggest changing there
> and ending up at Charing Cross. Then cycle 2 miles.

I hadn't considered that one. Also, LO to Penge West and changing to Penge
East for Victoria - the stations are less than half a mile apart.

Another possibility is LO to Surrey Quays, changing for a train towards
Clapham Jct and then another change at Peckham Rye or Denmark Hill should
get the OP to Victoria.

> Or (if running that day) going round the outside, via Crystal Palace to
> Victoria itself.

They aren't - there's nothing running to Victoria via Clapham Jct.

--
DAS

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1ifhq$280$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26182&group=uk.railway#26182

From: chrispvh...@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:07:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wBPtKnUlCHA6Fr2/KZZDb10i2NY=
 by: Chris Holmes - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:07 UTC

<Snip>

Thanks everyone.

I have somehow managed to find another option which is currently my
favourite….

Cycle to Lower Sydenham,

Train to London Bridge,

Train to Waterloo East,

Cycle to Victoria.

Seems simple & quick.

I’ve also found that to get to Forest Hill for 8:00 - 8:30 by train would
seriously disturb my slumber, so I’m going to do that leg by car.

Thanks again!

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<lVy8zqfmmWPiFAe9@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26225&group=uk.railway#26225

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 07:05:10 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 07:05 UTC

In message <t1ifhq$280$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:07:38 on Thu, 24 Mar
2022, Chris Holmes <chrispvholmes@gmail.com> remarked:
><Snip>
>
>Thanks everyone.
>
>I have somehow managed to find another option which is currently my
>favourite….
>
>Cycle to Lower Sydenham,
>
>Train to London Bridge,
>
>Train to Waterloo East,

You might want to check that's a same or cross-platform change, because
otherwise it's a significant detour via the concourse.

>Cycle to Victoria.

It's pretty much the same distance as from Charing Cross, which I think
would be an easier place to get from train to street than Waterloo East
(like London Bridge, the platforms are elevated).

>Seems simple & quick.
>
>I’ve also found that to get to Forest Hill for 8:00 - 8:30 by train would
>seriously disturb my slumber, so I’m going to do that leg by car.
>
>Thanks again!

Incidentally, since when did Thameslink not run between London Bridge an
Blackfriars? I did "first day of through running to/from Cambridge" and
boarded at London Bridge for the homeward leg.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1kvf4$f16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26340&group=uk.railway#26340

From: chrispvh...@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:51:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TamMytCdiaR4wEJLJ3cLkoLMZNo=
 by: Chris Holmes - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:51 UTC

<Snip>

Breakfast in Forest Hill now cancelled.

So current plan is

Cycle to Christs Hospital

Christs Hospital to London Bridge

London Bridge to Charing Cross

Cycle to Victoria

All possible tomorrow according to Trainline.

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1ldg8$ff1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26374&group=uk.railway#26374

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:51:01 -0000
 by: D A Stocks - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:51 UTC

> <Snip>
>
> Breakfast in Forest Hill now cancelled.
>
> So current plan is
>
> Cycle to Christs Hospital
>
> Christs Hospital to London Bridge
>
> London Bridge to Charing Cross
>
> Cycle to Victoria
>
> All possible tomorrow according to Trainline.

Your rail ticket of choice may be some form of off-peak Christ's Hospital to
London Terminals return. This is valid to Charing Cross, and you *don't*
need a Travelcard if you're not using buses and/or tube.

The change at London Bridge might not be fun with a bicycle if the station
is busy, but it's your least worst option other than doing the trip on
another day when trains are running to Victoria.

--
DAS

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1lem5$oil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26383&group=uk.railway#26383

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 22:11:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2A0mFZURpDsXO61e7ifeMQPA8UQ=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 22:11 UTC

D A Stocks <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> "Chris Holmes" <chrispvholmes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> <Snip>
>>
>> Breakfast in Forest Hill now cancelled.
>>
>> So current plan is
>>
>> Cycle to Christs Hospital
>>
>> Christs Hospital to London Bridge
>>
>> London Bridge to Charing Cross
>>
>> Cycle to Victoria
>>
>> All possible tomorrow according to Trainline.
>
> Your rail ticket of choice may be some form of off-peak Christ's Hospital to
> London Terminals return. This is valid to Charing Cross, and you *don't*
> need a Travelcard if you're not using buses and/or tube.

Why not just use a contactless card?

> The change at London Bridge might not be fun with a bicycle if the station
> is busy, but it's your least worst option other than doing the trip on
> another day when trains are running to Victoria.

All platforms are served by lifts.

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1m5rk$ooi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26395&group=uk.railway#26395

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:46:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PQEmIJeNmphDnzr7ss4cEn6N6FQ=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:46 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:

> <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/London_Connect
> ions.pdf>
>
> Note that it's not very "geographic",

That's the entire point of this style of route diagram, surely?

> New Cross and New Cross Gate are
> adjacent, not a mile apart.

0.4 miles, 9 minute walk according to Google.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<Jv0XdbE+2qPiFAYQ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26396&group=uk.railway#26396

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 06:07:58 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 06:07 UTC

In message <t1m5rk$ooi$1@dont-email.me>, at 04:46:44 on Sat, 26 Mar
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/London_Connect
>> ions.pdf>
>>
>> Note that it's not very "geographic",
>
>That's the entire point of this style of route diagram, surely?

I'm not sure the entire point of maps like that are to obfuscate the
distance between stations.

Honor Oak Park is 2.3 miles from New Cross Gate, by contrast.

>> New Cross and New Cross Gate are adjacent, not a mile apart.
>
>0.4 miles, 9 minute walk according to Google.

The OP has a bicycle.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1modm$dl2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26414&group=uk.railway#26414

From: chrispvh...@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:03:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:URvfgmFTIVLbwMp2MCmF/b1Whi4=
 by: Chris Holmes - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:03 UTC

<Snip>

Note to self… When planning your first long long ride of the season.

Start a month earlier with some Demi-long rides.

Also, get on the train rather than taking its picture! I swear it never
said the doors were unlocked before it pulled out!

Never mind, on a Thameslink now, so no harm done!

Update. The Thaneslink stopped at FH.

Almost at London Bridge and thinking I might ride from there.

I went for the Travelcard as it showed as the cheapest and covers me if I
decide to make additional journeys in the smoke before heading home.

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1modn$dl2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26415&group=uk.railway#26415

From: chrispvh...@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:03:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:i9q0kCHPUiLwuHUy8mkyw1Axvo8=
 by: Chris Holmes - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:03 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t1m5rk$ooi$1@dont-email.me>, at 04:46:44 on Sat, 26 Mar
> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/London_Connect
>>> ions.pdf>
>>>
>>> Note that it's not very "geographic",
>>
>> That's the entire point of this style of route diagram, surely?
>
> I'm not sure the entire point of maps like that are to obfuscate the
> distance between stations.
>
> Honor Oak Park is 2.3 miles from New Cross Gate, by contrast.
>
>>> New Cross and New Cross Gate are adjacent, not a mile apart.
>>
>> 0.4 miles, 9 minute walk according to Google.
>
> The OP has a bicycle.

If the weather holds I might cycle to Wandsworth Town Clapham Junnction, or
did someone say I’d not be able to get home from there.

--
Chris

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1nasv$khm$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26447&group=uk.railway#26447

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 15:18:44 -0000
 by: D A Stocks - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 15:18 UTC

"Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>D A Stocks <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>> "Chris Holmes" <chrispvholmes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> <Snip>
>>>
>>> Breakfast in Forest Hill now cancelled.
>>>
>>> So current plan is
>>>
>>> Cycle to Christs Hospital
>>>
>>> Christs Hospital to London Bridge
>>>
>>> London Bridge to Charing Cross
>>>
>>> Cycle to Victoria
>>>
>>> All possible tomorrow according to Trainline.
>>
>> Your rail ticket of choice may be some form of off-peak Christ's Hospital
>> London Terminals return. This is valid to Charing Cross, and you *don't*
>> need a Travelcard if you're not using buses and/or tube.
>
> Why not just use a contactless card?
I think the only option from Christ's Hospital would be The Key. I wouldn't
use that because you won't get railcard discounts with it, but the OP's
mileage may vary on that. Do let us know if I have that wrong.

Once you're outside the travelcard zones a discounted paper ticket is
usually the cheapest option for off-peak travel for us Sussex folk. Gatwick
Airport always raises exceptions to this rule...

The OP reckoned a travelcard was a cheaper option than my suggested ticket,
which can also be the case. I've just looked at the options offered by the
Southern App (you can do this via their website as well) for one adult with
Network Railcard Christ's Hospital to London Bridge Return, and it tells me
the cheapest is indeed a Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard for £15.75. HOWEVER,
if I ask for Southampton Central to London Bridge via Three Bridges it will
sell me a Super Off-Peak Day Return for £13.95. This has no break of journey
restrictions so it's valid for the same journeys from Christ's Hospital as
the Travelcard, but (obviously) doesn't have the zonal validity on rail,
tubes or buses at the London end.

--
DAS

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<A8klZ$u+WzPiFAIC@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26453&group=uk.railway#26453

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 15:48:14 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 15:48 UTC

In message <t1nasv$khm$3@dont-email.me>, at 15:18:44 on Sat, 26 Mar
2022, D A Stocks <nospam@nospam.com> remarked:
>"Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>D A Stocks <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> "Chris Holmes" <chrispvholmes@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Your rail ticket of choice may be some form of off-peak Christ's
>>>Hospital to
>>> London Terminals return. This is valid to Charing Cross, and you *don't*
>>> need a Travelcard if you're not using buses and/or tube.
>>
>> Why not just use a contactless card?

>I think the only option from Christ's Hospital would be The Key.

It's a nightmare for ordinary folk to discover which contactless payment
methods work where. Especially around London where Oyster, ITSO and CCC
don't really interoperate as well as the should.

Christs Hospital is way outside the Oyster/CCC zones, but well inside
The Key.

>I wouldn't use that because you won't get railcard discounts with it,

GTR claims you can use it with:

16-17 Saver
16-25 Railcard
26-30 Railcard
Senior Railcard
Annual Goldcard
Network Railcard
HM Forces Railcard
Disabled Persons Railcard
Veterans Railcard
Job Centre Plus

>but the OP's mileage may vary on that. Do let us know if I have that
>wrong.
>
>Once you're outside the travelcard zones a discounted paper ticket is
>usually the cheapest option for off-peak travel for us Sussex folk.
>Gatwick Airport always raises exceptions to this rule...
>
>The OP reckoned a travelcard was a cheaper option than my suggested
>ticket, which can also be the case. I've just looked at the options
>offered by the Southern App (you can do this via their website as well)
>for one adult with Network Railcard Christ's Hospital to London Bridge
>Return, and it tells me the cheapest is indeed a Super Off-Peak Day
>Travelcard for £15.75. HOWEVER, if I ask for Southampton Central to
>London Bridge via Three Bridges it will sell me a Super Off-Peak Day
>Return for £13.95. This has no break of journey restrictions so it's
>valid for the same journeys from Christ's Hospital as the Travelcard,
>but (obviously) doesn't have the zonal validity on rail, tubes or buses
>at the London end.

That £13.95 seems to be a bit of an anomaly, as it's the same from
Portsmouth, but going much closer to London it disappears.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1nk3h$fav$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26462&group=uk.railway#26462

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 17:55:58 -0000
 by: D A Stocks - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 17:55 UTC

> That £13.95 seems to be a bit of an anomaly, as it's the same from
> Portsmouth, but going much closer to London it disappears.

I chose Southampton as an extreme case; it's the same fare from anywhere
between Southampton, Portsmouth Harbour and Havant inclusive and the anomaly
probably dates from the c.1859 Battle of Havant.

--
DAS

Re: Horsham to Victoria via Forest Hill

<t1qdgb$tlg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26559&group=uk.railway#26559

From: chrispvh...@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:21:48 -0000 (UTC)
<t1nk3h$fav$3@dont-email.me>
sha1:8nxQ84aU+EtTXdfQgoL4D2OER4Y=
 by: Chris Holmes - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:21 UTC

<Snip>

Interesting comment Re: Southampton…

When I used to commute daily I used to get an Amberley to Syon La season
ticket as that could be bought without the zonal stuff which you couldn’t
do from Christs Hospital.

I checked The Trainline while in London and it said there were trains from
Clapham Junction, but when I got there they were buses to East Croydon.

I assumed they would turn their nose up at my bike, so I went to Waterloo
and rode to Blackfriars and got a Thameslink home.

All in all a really fun day out by bike & train.