Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be SHOT AGAIN!

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Hire car

SubjectAuthor
* Hire carSylvia Else
+- Re: Hire carXeno
+* Re: Hire carNoddy
|+* Re: Hire carClocky
||`- Re: Hire carXeno
|`* Re: Hire carKeithr0
| +* Re: Hire carNoddy
| |`* Re: Hire carTrevor Wilson
| | `* Re: Hire carNoddy
| |  `- Re: Hire carXeno
| `* Re: Hire carDaryl
|  `* Re: Hire carNoddy
|   +* Re: Hire carDaryl
|   |`* Re: Hire carNoddy
|   | +- Re: Hire carDaryl
|   | +* Re: Hire carKeithr0
|   | |+- Re: Hire carNoddy
|   | |`* Re: Hire carDaryl
|   | | `- Re: Hire carNoddy
|   | `* Re: Hire carlindsay
|   |  `* Re: Hire carNoddy
|   |   `- Re: Hire carXeno
|   `* Re: Hire carTrevor Wilson
|    `- Re: Hire carNoddy
+* Re: Hire carSylvia Else
|`- Re: Hire carDaryl
+* Re: Hire carTrevor Wilson
|`* Re: Hire carDaryl
| `* Re: Hire carTrevor Wilson
|  +* Re: Hire carDaryl
|  |`* Re: Hire carTrevor Wilson
|  | +- Re: Hire carNoddy
|  | `- Re: Hire carDaryl
|  `- Re: Hire carKeithr0
+- Re: Hire carDaryl
`* Re: Hire carPeter Jason
 `- Re: Hire carSylvia Else

Pages:12
Re: Hire car

<kke520Fish2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26017&group=aus.cars#26017

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Hire car
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:34:56 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:34 UTC

On 20/08/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> I would have thought any car that locked you in with no means of
>>> getting out manually would be illegal.
>>>

>> Agree, no one should need to do anything special to just exit a car.
>
> It's a bit bizarre.
>
> I have auto door lock enabled on the Ranger. Not something I've even
> considered until recent times until the wife had some drug skank open
> her passenger front door and try to knick her bag as she was stopped at
> a red light. The unfortunate thing for him is that the light had changed
> and she was taking off just as he leaned in to grab it, and the door
> slammed shut on his arm.
>
> Hope it broke it in 27 places and the cunt died a horrible death. He
> would have had I been there :)
>
> Anyway, that night we decided to enable auto door locking which were off
> by default. Pretty simple feature. Once the car hits 20km/h or
> thereabouts it locks all the doors and doesn't unlock them again until
> the car is stationary and the transmission put into park. It's a pretty
> decent safety feature which in these times of car jackings and general
> cuntiness is pretty handy.

Every US car has this either the doors lock as soon as it comes out of
park or when it exceeds 15mph. Also most US cars only unlock the drivers
door by default, to open the others, you need to do it from inside, or
sometime by a second click on the remote.

Not sure how yours stops car jacking since the doors are only locked
while moving. I don't like the feature much, I can see the possibility
of being in a crash with the doors locked preventing rescuers from
getting to you.

Re: Hire car

<ubsmq0$1a9vp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26018&group=aus.cars#26018

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:35:59 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:35 UTC

On 20/08/2023 6:44 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 4:03 pm, Daryl wrote:

>> I don't like those silly massive touch screens in any car, I've seen
>> videos of the MB screens and they do look impressive but IMHO
>> pointless since a driver is supposed to be looking at the road ahead,
>> not at a screen.
>> I do like digital speedos but they don't need to be huge or on a big
>> screen, just in front of the driver.
>>

> **Whilst I have not seen a digital speedo (dial type), I kinda prefer a
> mechanical one. Like those found in 1970s BMWs and other Euro cars.
> Clear and unambiguous.

Pretty hard to get any clearer or more unambiguous as this:

> https://www.onlineauto.com.au/media/images/articles/webp/2023-ford-ranger-wildtrak-v6-instrument-cluster.webp

Speed readout directly in front of you, in single km/h increments. If
you'd prefer a round dial type you can have one of those as well, but
it's on the large side. It takes up way more real estate on the dash and
prevents the trip computer from being displayed:

> https://www.trustmotors.co.nz/Motorcentral/VehicleData/TRU-bc11e2f6-031d-49a9-92b9-0b9d9bdaac14-17.jpg

FWIW: The Levorg mechanical speedo is a shitful
> thing. I never look at it. Luckily the digital speedo is very good. Fast
> updating and really obvious. Sadly, it is also obvious to SWMBO (aka:
> The Handbrake). I can no longer claim: "Oh it's the parallax error
> honey. I'm not really going that fast." Not that she ever bought that
> one either.

They never do :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Hire car

<kke5b9Fish2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26019&group=aus.cars#26019

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:39:53 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:39 UTC

On 20/08/2023 3:16 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 11:25 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 19/8/2023 7:27 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> On 19/08/2023 9:29 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
>>>  > I've had to hire car while travelling interstate.
>>>  >
>>>  > The one provided has all the automation mod-cons, and I hate it.
>>>  >
>>>  > Took me 15 minutes just to figure out how to turn the radio off.
>>>
>>> **Well, I guess that could be tricky.
>>>
>>>  >
>>>  > Later there was the question of head-lights. Turns out they're
>>> automatic too, but I had to read the manual to figure that out. They
>>> seem to stay on for a while after on leaves the car too, making me
>>> concerned about whether they're actually going to turn off.
>>>
>>> **Normal for any modern car. My 22 year old Nissan does that.
>>>
>>>  >
>>>  > And of course it has no proper hand brake - just a small lever
>>> that operates a motor somewhere.
>>>
>>> **VERY common on modern cars. WAY better than a regular parking
>>> brake. Works perfectly EVERY time. Unless you own a shitbox Mustang.
>>> That car is still mired in the 20th century.
>>>
>>>  >
>>>  > There isn't even a conventional gear-shift for the automatic
>>> transmission - just another little lever that one has to look at just
>>> to find and operate.
>>>
>>> **Yep. Normal.
>>>
>>>  >
>>>  > And there's no key. Just a fob that needs to be near the car for
>>> it to be possible to start it.
>>>
>>> **Also very common.
>>>
>>>  >
>>>  > Where was the need to make things so awkward?
>>>
>>> **They're not awkward at all. Just SLIGHTLY different. Are you
>>> turning into an old fart?
>>>

>> LOL, aren't we all:-)
>> I very much dislike electric cars, not because they are electric but
>> because the manufacturers seem to go out of their way to make them as
>> weird as possible with ridiculous dash boards that look like video
>> games and other weird and wonderful crap just for the sake of being
>> different.
>> Stuffed if I know why they don't just make them look and drive like
>> normal cars.
>>

> **You should take a look at the new, upmarket Mercs then. A Metre and a
> half of computer screen stretched out in front of you. Much as I dislike
> Mercs, I must say I like their mapping system. Very cool.

I saw that in an E series taxi in Denmark. The mapping system was huge
and very cool.

Re: Hire car

<ubsnd6$1ae4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26020&group=aus.cars#26020

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:46:13 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:46 UTC

On 20/08/2023 7:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Anyway, that night we decided to enable auto door locking which were
>> off by default. Pretty simple feature. Once the car hits 20km/h or
>> thereabouts it locks all the doors and doesn't unlock them again until
>> the car is stationary and the transmission put into park. It's a
>> pretty decent safety feature which in these times of car jackings and
>> general cuntiness is pretty handy.
>
> Every US car has this either the doors lock as soon as it comes out of
> park or when it exceeds 15mph. Also most US cars only unlock the drivers
> door by default, to open the others, you need to do it from inside, or
> sometime by a second click on the remote.

You can select the same feature here with cars I've seen.

> Not sure how yours stops car jacking since the doors are only locked
> while moving.

The doors lock automatically once the car hits 20km/h and stay locked
until you unlock them when you get to wherever you're going.

I don't like the feature much, I can see the possibility
> of being in a crash with the doors locked preventing rescuers from
> getting to you.

That's the reason I speculated as to why Ford doesn't enable autolock on
the current Ranger even though the vehicle is capable of it. Because the
doors aren't automatically unlocked until you either press one of the
unlock buttons or physically open a door.

Doesn't bother me. If someone is keen enough to try to open a door to
get me out they're just as likely to bust a window to gain access if
they can't.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Hire car

<kkebkuFk2rbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26021&group=aus.cars#26021

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:27:26 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:27 UTC

On 20/8/2023 6:44 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 4:03 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **You should take a look at the new, upmarket Mercs then. A Metre and
>>> a half of computer screen stretched out in front of you. Much as I
>>> dislike Mercs, I must say I like their mapping system. Very cool.
>>>

>> I don't like those silly massive touch screens in any car, I've seen
>> videos of the MB screens and they do look impressive but IMHO
>> pointless since a driver is supposed to be looking at the road ahead,
>> not at a screen.
>> I do like digital speedos but they don't need to be huge or on a big
>> screen, just in front of the driver.
>>

> **Whilst I have not seen a digital speedo (dial type), I kinda prefer a
> mechanical one. Like those found in 1970s BMWs and other Euro cars.
> Clear and unambiguous. FWIW: The Levorg mechanical speedo is a shitful
> thing. I never look at it. Luckily the digital speedo is very good. Fast
> updating and really obvious. Sadly, it is also obvious to SWMBO (aka:
> The Handbrake). I can no longer claim: "Oh it's the parallax error
> honey. I'm not really going that fast." Not that she ever bought that
> one either.

LOL, same with our WRX, never looked at the analogue speedo, just used
the digital.

--
Daryl

Re: Hire car

<kkebvtFk2rbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26022&group=aus.cars#26022

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:33:17 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:33 UTC

On 20/8/2023 7:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Agree, no one should need to do anything special to just exit a car.
>>
>> It's a bit bizarre.
>>
>> I have auto door lock enabled on the Ranger. Not something I've even
>> considered until recent times until the wife had some drug skank open
>> her passenger front door and try to knick her bag as she was stopped
>> at a red light. The unfortunate thing for him is that the light had
>> changed and she was taking off just as he leaned in to grab it, and
>> the door slammed shut on his arm.
>>
>> Hope it broke it in 27 places and the cunt died a horrible death. He
>> would have had I been there :)
>>
>> Anyway, that night we decided to enable auto door locking which were
>> off by default. Pretty simple feature. Once the car hits 20km/h or
>> thereabouts it locks all the doors and doesn't unlock them again until
>> the car is stationary and the transmission put into park. It's a
>> pretty decent safety feature which in these times of car jackings and
>> general cuntiness is pretty handy.
>
> Every US car has this either the doors lock as soon as it comes out of
> park or when it exceeds 15mph. Also most US cars only unlock the drivers
> door by default, to open the others, you need to do it from inside, or
> sometime by a second click on the remote.
>
> Not sure how yours stops car jacking since the doors are only locked
> while moving. I don't like the feature much, I can see the possibility
> of being in a crash with the doors locked preventing rescuers from
> getting to you.

AFAIK the doors on most if not all cars will unlock after an accident,
not sure how bad the accident needs to be before they unlock but 99%
sure they will unlock if the accident is bad enough to set off airbags.

--
Daryl

Re: Hire car

<ubt65k$1cg6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26023&group=aus.cars#26023

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 23:58:12 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 13:58 UTC

On 20/08/2023 9:33 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 20/8/2023 7:34 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

>> Not sure how yours stops car jacking since the doors are only locked
>> while moving. I don't like the feature much, I can see the possibility
>> of being in a crash with the doors locked preventing rescuers from
>> getting to you.
>>

> AFAIK the doors on most if not all cars will unlock after an accident,
> not sure how bad the accident needs to be before they unlock but 99%
> sure they will unlock if the accident is bad enough to set off airbags.

That's my understanding. I know both the Ranger and the Santa Fe will
automatically turn on the hazards, unlock the doors, and phone emergency
services.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Hire car

<E%HFM.790881$TPw2.778377@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26057&group=aus.cars#26057

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: noneofy...@biz.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:26:09 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 12:26 UTC

On 20/08/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> I would have thought any car that locked you in with no means of
>>> getting out manually would be illegal.
>>>

>> Agree, no one should need to do anything special to just exit a car.
>
> It's a bit bizarre.
>
> I have auto door lock enabled on the Ranger. Not something I've even
> considered until recent times until the wife had some drug skank open
> her passenger front door and try to knick her bag as she was stopped at
> a red light. The unfortunate thing for him is that the light had changed
> and she was taking off just as he leaned in to grab it, and the door
> slammed shut on his arm.
>
> Hope it broke it in 27 places and the cunt died a horrible death. He
> would have had I been there :)

I'd have hoped he'd been trapped by his arm, and take the cunt for a
drive....

Auto-lock is great, and i presume is the same as yours.. activates at
20kmh... my only issue is when you've been driving for a while, and need
a piss.. pull over, get arounnd the drivers side, open the door to give
a bit of privacy, and the fucking thing is locked :-D

Love Forscan. Wouldnt be without it.

> Anyway, that night we decided to enable auto door locking which were off
> by default. Pretty simple feature. Once the car hits 20km/h or
> thereabouts it locks all the doors and doesn't unlock them again until
> the car is stationary and the transmission put into park. It's a pretty
> decent safety feature which in these times of car jackings and general
> cuntiness is pretty handy.

Interesting.. mine doesnt unlock... unless the ignition is turned off..

.
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: lindsay <noneofyour@biz.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:26:09 +1000

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: lindsay <noneofyour@biz.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:26:09 +1000

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Hire car

<uc8irt$3l0l7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26058&group=aus.cars#26058

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:42:20 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:42 UTC

On 24/08/2023 10:26 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Hope it broke it in 27 places and the cunt died a horrible death. He
>> would have had I been there :)

> I'd have hoped he'd been trapped by his arm, and take the cunt for a
> drive....

Yeah, that would have been nice. Or have his arm trapped in the car
while you kicked his fucking teeth in. Sadly neither of those happened....

> Auto-lock is great, and i presume is the same as yours.. activates at
> 20kmh... my only issue is when you've been driving for a while, and need
> a piss.. pull over, get arounnd the drivers side, open the door to give
> a bit of privacy, and the fucking thing is locked :-D

Lol :)

Don't know why Ford don't enable it as standard as it's a great feature.
It has a quirk on my model in that the tailgate locks with the central
locking so with the roller shutter closed the tub is a secure storage
area. That's nice, but unless you unlock the car with the fob or open
the driver's door from the inside when autolock is engaged the tailgate
will stay locked if you open any of the other doors.

It's a bit bizarre when opening any of the doors from the inside unlocks
all of them :)

> Love Forscan. Wouldnt be without it.

Yeah, it's awesome. I'm slowly working my way through things to see what
works and what doesn't. Unfortunately a lot of the stuff from your model
or from the 2023 US stuff is different on the current Australian Ranger
which is a pain in the arse.

>> Anyway, that night we decided to enable auto door locking which were
>> off by default. Pretty simple feature. Once the car hits 20km/h or
>> thereabouts it locks all the doors and doesn't unlock them again until
>> the car is stationary and the transmission put into park. It's a
>> pretty decent safety feature which in these times of car jackings and
>> general cuntiness is pretty handy.
>
> Interesting.. mine doesnt unlock... unless the ignition is turned off..

They keep changing their minds every 10 minutes.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Hire car

<j4ofeitsdrl94t9s40djnnpmib658hpl4l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26059&group=aus.cars#26059

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:01:41 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 23:01 UTC

On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:29:57 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>I've had to hire car while travelling interstate.
>
>The one provided has all the automation mod-cons, and I hate it.
>
>Took me 15 minutes just to figure out how to turn the radio off.
>
>Later there was the question of head-lights. Turns out they're automatic
>too, but I had to read the manual to figure that out. They seem to stay
>on for a while after on leaves the car too, making me concerned about
>whether they're actually going to turn off.
>
>And of course it has no proper hand brake - just a small lever that
>operates a motor somewhere.
>
>There isn't even a conventional gear-shift for the automatic
>transmission - just another little lever that one has to look at just to
>find and operate.
>
>And there's no key. Just a fob that needs to be near the car for it to
>be possible to start it.
>
>Where was the need to make things so awkward?
>
>Sylvia.

Might all be linked to the new plug-in diagnostic servicing computers
that the old-guard servicers hate.
Did you ever find out how to reduce the headlamp intensity?

Re: Hire car

<kkqi3oFk5u6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26060&group=aus.cars#26060

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:31:20 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 02:31 UTC

On 25/8/2023 7:42 am, Noddy wrote:

> Yeah, that would have been nice. Or have his arm trapped in the car
> while you kicked his fucking teeth in. Sadly neither of those happened....

Ah Darren, all this aggressive talk from you whilst behind the keyboard!
Face to face you'd be a real pussy. When put to the test, your best form
is to *run away*. Especially so when asked to stump up proof of your
grandiose bullshit claims to apprenticeships and trade qualifications.
Whilst on that topic, how about stumping up some *tangible* proof
Darren? And, no, your say so won't cut it. I expect to hear the sound of
running feet receding into the distance! LOL

<excessive bullshit snipped>

----
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Hire car

<kksrggF150oU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26064&group=aus.cars#26064

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:24:00 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 23:24 UTC

On 25-Aug-23 9:01 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:29:57 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I've had to hire car while travelling interstate.
>>
>> The one provided has all the automation mod-cons, and I hate it.
>>
>> Took me 15 minutes just to figure out how to turn the radio off.
>>
>> Later there was the question of head-lights. Turns out they're automatic
>> too, but I had to read the manual to figure that out. They seem to stay
>> on for a while after on leaves the car too, making me concerned about
>> whether they're actually going to turn off.
>>
>> And of course it has no proper hand brake - just a small lever that
>> operates a motor somewhere.
>>
>> There isn't even a conventional gear-shift for the automatic
>> transmission - just another little lever that one has to look at just to
>> find and operate.
>>
>> And there's no key. Just a fob that needs to be near the car for it to
>> be possible to start it.
>>
>> Where was the need to make things so awkward?
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> Might all be linked to the new plug-in diagnostic servicing computers
> that the old-guard servicers hate.
> Did you ever find out how to reduce the headlamp intensity?

I didn't even go there. Once I'd determined that the things came on in
the dark, I ignored them.

Sylvia.