If you're not very clever you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli

aus+uk / aus.tv / Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

SubjectAuthor
* Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearNomen Nescio
+* Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearComputer Nerd Kev
|+- Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearRod Speed
|`* Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearPeter Jason
| `* Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearRod Speed
|  `* Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearComputer Nerd Kev
|   `* Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearRod Speed
|    `* Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearComputer Nerd Kev
|     `- Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearRod Speed
`- Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time yearMighty Mouse

1
Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<f5990e835d6a67cd8cc67cbf877e978e@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=253&group=aus.tv#253

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:18:47 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 07:18 UTC

So I have been on Youtube, and it is getting swamped by
AI-generated clickbait.

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<658f36c7@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=254&group=aus.tv#254

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: 30 Dec 2023 07:14:48 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:14 UTC

Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> So I have been on Youtube, and it is getting swamped by
> AI-generated clickbait.

TV content's no worse than normal for me, although normal has been
quite bad this year. I only watch ABC and SBS though, because I
can't be bothered suffering through the endless ads.

I ignore the recommendations on YouTube, but then I mainly use it
to find old TV documentaries anyway, and I download them so I don't
have to suffer YT's own ads. Many of those docos are things the ABC
used to show/make once. Conveniently I forget them entirely after
5-10 years, so they're all new to me now.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<op.2gr0pvf7byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=255&group=aus.tv#255

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 04:40:33 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 17:40 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote

>> So I have been on Youtube, and it is getting swamped by
>> AI-generated clickbait.

> TV content's no worse than normal for me, although normal has been
> quite bad this year. I only watch ABC and SBS though, because I
> can't be bothered suffering through the endless ads.

If you watch the live streams, the ad blockers make the ads invisible.

> I ignore the recommendations on YouTube, but then I mainly use it
> to find old TV documentaries anyway, and I download them so I don't
> have to suffer YT's own ads. Many of those docos are things the ABC
> used to show/make once. Conveniently I forget them entirely after
> 5-10 years, so they're all new to me now.

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<fnk3pita08l72dle4p6hdeaaup27sf828l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=256&group=aus.tv#256

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 07:48:30 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:48 UTC

On 30 Dec 2023 07:14:48 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
Kev) wrote:

>Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>> So I have been on Youtube, and it is getting swamped by
>> AI-generated clickbait.
>
>TV content's no worse than normal for me, although normal has been
>quite bad this year. I only watch ABC and SBS though, because I
>can't be bothered suffering through the endless ads.

Of course. The solution is to hoard suitable TV during the year with
a PVR, employing an external HDD if necessary to increase capacity.
Ad-free movies can be downloaded via sites such as PBay & eMule etc.

>I ignore the recommendations on YouTube, but then I mainly use it
>to find old TV documentaries anyway, and I download them so I don't
>have to suffer YT's own ads. Many of those docos are things the ABC
>used to show/make once. Conveniently I forget them entirely after
>5-10 years, so they're all new to me now.

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<op.2gvlnqh7byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=257&group=aus.tv#257

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 03:05:40 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:05 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote
> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote
>> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote

>>> So I have been on Youtube, and it is gettingswamped by AI-generated
>>> clickbait.

>> TV content's no worse than normal for me, although normal hasbeen
>> quite bad this year. I only watch ABC and SBS though,because I can't
>> be bothered suffering through the endless ads.

> Of course. The solution is to hoard suitable TV during the year with
> a PVR, employing an external HDD if necessary to increase capacity.

You don't need to anymore. Iview etc allows
you to watch stuff any time you like now.

> Ad-free movies can be downloaded via sites such as PBay & eMule etc.

And torrents and most of the doco series etc too.

>> I ignore the recommendations on YouTube, but then I mainly use it
>> to find old TV documentaries anyway, and I download them so I don't
>> have to suffer YT's own ads. Many of those docos are things the ABC
>> used to show/make once. Conveniently I forget them entirely after
>> 5-10 years, so they're all new to me now.

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<65932497@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=258&group=aus.tv#258

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: 2 Jan 2024 06:46:16 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 20:46 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote
>> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote
>>> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote

>>> TV content's no worse than normal for me, although normal hasbeen
>>> quite bad this year. I only watch ABC and SBS though,because I can't
>>> be bothered suffering through the endless ads.
>
>> Of course. The solution is to hoard suitable TV during the year with
>> a PVR, employing an external HDD if necessary to increase capacity.
>
> You don't need to anymore. Iview etc allows
> you to watch stuff any time you like now.

It's cheaper to get it from broadcast TV than pay for lots of
internet data. But often I just like to turn the TV on and watch
something (other than an ad) without planning exactly what. Failing
that I have always got something downloaded, or on DVD/VHS. I do
record shows, but I can't be bothered FF-ing through too many ads
or fiddling with a commercial skipper application.

>> Ad-free movies can be downloaded via sites such as PBay & eMule etc.
>
> And torrents and most of the doco series etc too.

Many old TV docos are on YouTube where you can use a downloader
program to grab them in a more sensibly low resolution than those
P2P services where everything's usually encoded at massive
resolutions and bitrates. The Internet Archive is great as well,
except sometimes a bit harder to search.

That said, I can download and scale-down videos from P2P on a cheap
VPS and then download the smaller versions at my end, which works
well for docos that I can't find on YouTube etc.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<op.2gwfw500byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=259&group=aus.tv#259

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 13:59:19 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 02:59 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote
>>> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote

>>> Of course. The solution is to hoard suitable TV during the year with
>>> a PVR, employing an external HDD if necessary to increase capacity.

>> You don't need to anymore. Iview etc allows
>> you to watch stuff any time you like now.

> It's cheaper to get it from broadcastTV than pay for lots of internet
> data.

I pay nothing for internet data because my plan is unlimited.

> But often I just like to turn the TV on and watch something(other than
> an ad) without planning exactly what.

Fuck that.

> Failing that I have always got something downloaded, or on DVD/VHS.

Wota dinosaur.

> I do record shows, but I can't be bothered FF-ing through toomany ads
> or fiddling with a commercial skipper application.

Trivial to have the browser auto skip all ads
just by installing uBlock Origin on Chrome

>>> Ad-free movies can be downloaded via sites such as PBay & eMule etc.

>> And torrents and most of the doco series etc too.

> Many old TV docos

I have no interest in those.

> are on YouTube where you can use a downloader programto grab them in a
> more sensibly low resolution than those
> P2P services where everything's usually encoded at massive
> resolutions and bitrates. The Internet Archive is great as well,
> except sometimes a bit harder to search.

> That said, I can download and scale-down videos from P2P ona cheap VPS
> and then download the smaller versions at my end,which works well for
> docos that I can't find on YouTube etc.

Too much farting around.

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<6593b486@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=260&group=aus.tv#260

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: 2 Jan 2024 17:00:23 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 07:00 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote

>>> You don't need to anymore. Iview etc allows
>>> you to watch stuff any time you like now.
>
>> It's cheaper to get it from broadcastTV than pay for lots of internet
>> data.
>
> I pay nothing for internet data because my plan is unlimited.

Then you pay to have them take off the limit.

The options are mobile broadband or satellite where I am, so that
changes the equations (and reliability) anyway. But with the
~$2.70/month I pay for internet currently, I'd probably still go
the same way if I lived in town.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<op.2gwuibm6byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=261&group=aus.tv#261

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 19:14:25 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:14 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> It's cheaper to get it from broadcastTV than pay for lots of
>>> internet data.

>> I pay nothing for internet data because my plan is unlimited.

> Then you pay to have them take off the limit.

Nope. None of the non mobile or non satellie broadband has any data limits.

> The options are mobile broadband or satellite where I am,

Your problem

> so that changes the equations (and reliability) anyway.But with the
> ~$2.70/month I pay for internet currently,I'd probably still go the
> same way if I lived in town.

More fool you.

Re: Jesus F Christ, free to air is shithouse this time year

<kvidcmF8v91U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=263&group=aus.tv#263

From: "squea...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:20:37 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 12:20 UTC

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> So I have been on Youtube, and it is getting swamped by
> AI-generated clickbait.

sure is! however prime is only about 7 bucks a year , plus u get one
month free so that would take you up to the end of January for nix!

--
Have a nice day!..