Do more than anyone expects, and pretty soon everyone will expect more.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / FOAK chargers

SubjectAuthor
* FOAK chargersRustyHinge
+* FOAK chargersNicholas D. Richards
|+- FOAK chargershubops
|+- FOAK chargersRustyHinge
|+- FOAK chargersRustyHinge
|`- FOAK chargersBrian Gaff
+- FOAK chargersThomas Prufer
+- FOAK chargersBrian Gaff
`* FOAK chargersnev young
 `- FOAK chargersRustyHinge

1
FOAK chargers

<ug71ki$21imq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26103&group=uk.rec.sheds#26103

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: FOAK chargers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:47:13 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 20:47 UTC

I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for
a week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the
indicator LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern
which repeated every few minutes.

Not had this happen before, but the ambient here is uncomfortably higher
than at home, where heating is only on if it's uncomfortably cool.

Flaptop is on a lock-up tin box so no blockage of ventilation gorillas
in the bottom of the box, and charger (usual type) hanging by its lead,
so plenty of air all-round.

Earlier. at 34% charge (and charging) the box shut down, the OS* closing
in mid Shedpost.

Is this a recognisable pattern of behaviour?

* Linux Mint 64 - bit

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK chargers

<16siGjDwIyJlFAyh@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26115&group=uk.rec.sheds#26115

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: FOAK chargers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:31:12 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 22:31 UTC

In article <ug71ki$21imq$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
r.girolle.co.uk> on Wed, 11 Oct 2023 at 21:47:13 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for
>a week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the
>indicator LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern
>which repeated every few minutes.
>
>Not had this happen before, but the ambient here is uncomfortably higher
>than at home, where heating is only on if it's uncomfortably cool.
>
>Flaptop is on a lock-up tin box so no blockage of ventilation gorillas
>in the bottom of the box, and charger (usual type) hanging by its lead,
>so plenty of air all-round.
>
>Earlier. at 34% charge (and charging) the box shut down, the OS* closing
>in mid Shedpost.
>
>Is this a recognisable pattern of behaviour?
>
>* Linux Mint 64 - bit

I realise that you are not at home, you may not be able to try this.

Overheating can be exacerbated by the high temperature in the home, over
80F. When you have these symptoms does the case feel warm? Is there a
light on the power supply, does it go out during charging which suggest
either a failing power supply or overheating.

There may have been a build up of dust inside the your lap top. Opening
up the case and blowing out the dust might solve your problem. Use a can
of dust spray (compressed gas). Make sure that the fans do not spin at
high speed while you do this.

Does the fan(s) spin when switching on the lap top (mark one lug holes
are required for this), or it might stop working while in use, again
listen. You could have a failing fan, which should be readily replaced.

Make sure that you have a good flow of air around the power supply, they
do warm up quite considerably if covered. Is the plug from the power
supply into the lap top properly inserted? Is the plug from the wall
into the power supply properly inserted. They have a tendency to creep
out as the socket heats up cools down. That has happened on my tower.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: FOAK chargers

<nnbeiipk4eqnqjmb1fai5lm8n84vsnh1g3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26121&group=uk.rec.sheds#26121

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 19:38:51 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:38 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:31:12 +0100, "Nicholas D. Richards"
<nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

>In article <ug71ki$21imq$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
>r.girolle.co.uk> on Wed, 11 Oct 2023 at 21:47:13 awoke Nicholas from
>his slumbers and wrote
>>I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for
>>a week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the
>>indicator LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern
>>which repeated every few minutes.
>>
>>Not had this happen before, but the ambient here is uncomfortably higher
>>than at home, where heating is only on if it's uncomfortably cool.
>>
>>Flaptop is on a lock-up tin box so no blockage of ventilation gorillas
>>in the bottom of the box, and charger (usual type) hanging by its lead,
>>so plenty of air all-round.
>>
>>Earlier. at 34% charge (and charging) the box shut down, the OS* closing
>>in mid Shedpost.
>>
>>Is this a recognisable pattern of behaviour?
>>
>>* Linux Mint 64 - bit
>>
>I realise that you are not at home, you may not be able to try this.
>
>Overheating can be exacerbated by the high temperature in the home, over
>80F. When you have these symptoms does the case feel warm? Is there a
>light on the power supply, does it go out during charging which suggest
>either a failing power supply or overheating.
>
>There may have been a build up of dust inside the your lap top. Opening
>up the case and blowing out the dust might solve your problem. Use a can
>of dust spray (compressed gas). Make sure that the fans do not spin at
>high speed while you do this.
>
>Does the fan(s) spin when switching on the lap top (mark one lug holes
>are required for this), or it might stop working while in use, again
>listen. You could have a failing fan, which should be readily replaced.
>
>Make sure that you have a good flow of air around the power supply, they
>do warm up quite considerably if covered. Is the plug from the power
>supply into the lap top properly inserted? Is the plug from the wall
>into the power supply properly inserted. They have a tendency to creep
>out as the socket heats up cools down. That has happened on my tower.

fan failure was my first thought .. dunno.
The laptop that I am presently using has a noisy fan -
so I get worried when it's quiet ..
When it first got noisy - I looked up DIY replacement
and decided it was time to get a new laptop.
< too many tiny connections for my club-fingers >
The super-wonderful Lenovo T570 replacement laptop
did not like my brand of cider .. spilled on it ..
... hence back to using my olde sloe backup laptop.
John T.

Re: FOAK chargers

<h84fiidv6bkcqc3kupu2scnl3qg3ftcbic@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26125&group=uk.rec.sheds#26125

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:25:42 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 06:25 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:47:13 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for
>a week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the
>indicator LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern
>which repeated every few minutes.

If you are lucky it's the "protect the battery by only charging it to 75%"
setting?

Charges, then off, % drop, on, ....

Thomas Prufer

Re: FOAK chargers

<ug883l$2cl07$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26128&group=uk.rec.sheds#26128

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:43:47 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 07:43 UTC

On 11/10/2023 23:31, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <ug71ki$21imq$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
> r.girolle.co.uk> on Wed, 11 Oct 2023 at 21:47:13 awoke Nicholas from
> his slumbers and wrote
>> I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for
>> a week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the
>> indicator LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern
>> which repeated every few minutes.
>>
>> Not had this happen before, but the ambient here is uncomfortably higher
>> than at home, where heating is only on if it's uncomfortably cool.
>>
>> Flaptop is on a lock-up tin box so no blockage of ventilation gorillas
>> in the bottom of the box, and charger (usual type) hanging by its lead,
>> so plenty of air all-round.
>>
>> Earlier. at 34% charge (and charging) the box shut down, the OS* closing
>> in mid Shedpost.
>>
>> Is this a recognisable pattern of behaviour?
>>
>> * Linux Mint 64 - bit
>>
> I realise that you are not at home, you may not be able to try this.
>
> Overheating can be exacerbated by the high temperature in the home, over
> 80F. When you have these symptoms does the case feel warm? Is there a
> light on the power supply, does it go out during charging which suggest
> either a failing power supply or overheating.

Case usually feels warm whil box is in use - not hot thobut. There isn't
a LEDlight on the PSU

> There may have been a build up of dust inside the your lap top. Opening
> up the case and blowing out the dust might solve your problem. Use a can
> of dust spray (compressed gas). Make sure that the fans do not spin at
> high speed while you do this.
>
> Does the fan(s) spin when switching on the lap top (mark one lug holes
> are required for this), or it might stop working while in use, again
> listen. You could have a failing fan, which should be readily replaced.
>
> Make sure that you have a good flow of air around the power supply, they
> do warm up quite considerably if covered. Is the plug from the power
> supply into the lap top properly inserted? Is the plug from the wall
> into the power supply properly inserted. They have a tendency to creep
> out as the socket heats up cools down. That has happened on my tower.

Becoming increasingly deaf but the fan blows (with gusto), always.

Ta for input

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK chargers

<ug8a2f$2d2ff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26132&group=uk.rec.sheds#26132

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:17:18 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:17 UTC

On 11/10/2023 23:31, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
/snippage/

> Make sure that you have a good flow of air around the power supply, they
> do warm up quite considerably if covered. Is the plug from the power
> supply into the lap top properly inserted? Is the plug from the wall
> into the power supply properly inserted. They have a tendency to creep
> out as the socket heats up cools down. That has happened on my tower.

Becoming increasingly deaf but the fan blows (with gusto), always.

<BLACKNESS>

So it's the box - dropped- out while on batri at 31% charge.

Thanks to kind Linuxoi, one a Sheddi, I have replacement box which is
not yet fully-stocked and I'm learning to unforget its differences from
this one.

I'll have to wait till I get home innit. Moves are afoot to have this
box overhauled...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK chargers

<ug8a3q$2d2mn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26133&group=uk.rec.sheds#26133

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:17:59 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:17 UTC

Bunged up with fluff inside?

I think you would be amazed how much crap gets into the air filter, fans
and processor housing. Normally its set to shut down when the temp reaches a
certain level in one of the sensors either in the processor or another chip.
There seem to be often as many as 4 all reporting to the bios all the time.
Maybe you need a laptop fridge. I'm surprised nobody sells one by now.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
>I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for a
>week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the indicator
>LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern which repeated
>every few minutes.
>
> Not had this happen before, but the ambient here is uncomfortably higher
> than at home, where heating is only on if it's uncomfortably cool.
>
> Flaptop is on a lock-up tin box so no blockage of ventilation gorillas in
> the bottom of the box, and charger (usual type) hanging by its lead, so
> plenty of air all-round.
>
> Earlier. at 34% charge (and charging) the box shut down, the OS* closing
> in mid Shedpost.
>
> Is this a recognisable pattern of behaviour?
>
> * Linux Mint 64 - bit
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: FOAK chargers

<ug8abf$2d46t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26134&group=uk.rec.sheds#26134

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:22:04 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:22 UTC

I had a dell supply melt at the point it came out of the case, and that was
due to bad manufacture. It was not the original supply but a clone made by a
Chinese company. It also chucked out enough rfi to interfere with a nearby
churches radio mikes.
Brian

--

--:
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in message
> In article <ug71ki$21imq$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
> r.girolle.co.uk> on Wed, 11 Oct 2023 at 21:47:13 awoke Nicholas from
> his slumbers and wrote
>>I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for
>>a week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the
>>indicator LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern
>>which repeated every few minutes.
>>
>>Not had this happen before, but the ambient here is uncomfortably higher
>>than at home, where heating is only on if it's uncomfortably cool.
>>
>>Flaptop is on a lock-up tin box so no blockage of ventilation gorillas
>>in the bottom of the box, and charger (usual type) hanging by its lead,
>>so plenty of air all-round.
>>
>>Earlier. at 34% charge (and charging) the box shut down, the OS* closing
>>in mid Shedpost.
>>
>>Is this a recognisable pattern of behaviour?
>>
>>* Linux Mint 64 - bit
>>
> I realise that you are not at home, you may not be able to try this.
>
> Overheating can be exacerbated by the high temperature in the home, over
> 80F. When you have these symptoms does the case feel warm? Is there a
> light on the power supply, does it go out during charging which suggest
> either a failing power supply or overheating.
>
> There may have been a build up of dust inside the your lap top. Opening
> up the case and blowing out the dust might solve your problem. Use a can
> of dust spray (compressed gas). Make sure that the fans do not spin at
> high speed while you do this.
>
> Does the fan(s) spin when switching on the lap top (mark one lug holes
> are required for this), or it might stop working while in use, again
> listen. You could have a failing fan, which should be readily replaced.
>
> Make sure that you have a good flow of air around the power supply, they
> do warm up quite considerably if covered. Is the plug from the power
> supply into the lap top properly inserted? Is the plug from the wall
> into the power supply properly inserted. They have a tendency to creep
> out as the socket heats up cools down. That has happened on my tower.
> --
> 0sterc@tcher -
>
> "O� sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: FOAK chargers

<ug8cfo$2dfpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26138&group=uk.rec.sheds#26138

From: newsforp...@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:58:32 +0100
 by: nev young - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:58 UTC

On 11/10/2023 21:47, RustyHinge wrote:
> I suspect too much heat - I'm banged-up in this overheated care home for
> a week and charging the flatpot was going as usual when at 74% the
> indicator LED went out, but returned a minute-or-so later, a pattern
> which repeated every few minutes.
>
> Not had this happen before, but the ambient here is uncomfortably higher
> than at home, where heating is only on if it's uncomfortably cool.
>
> Flaptop is on a lock-up tin box so no blockage of ventilation gorillas
> in the bottom of the box, and charger (usual type) hanging by its lead,
> so plenty of air all-round.
>
> Earlier. at 34% charge (and charging) the box shut down, the OS* closing
> in mid Shedpost.
>
> Is this a recognisable pattern of behaviour?
>
> * Linux Mint 64 - bit

If you suspect over heating try this:
right click on an empty bit of the status bar.
select "+ add to panel"
look for "hardware sensors monitor"
add it (It can be removed again when no longer wanted.)
Use preferences to show cpu & MB temp etc.
Now you will know if it is running hot or not.

If fan blows heartily all the time look for a cpu-bound process and
consider killing it.

<obvious>
Have you tried turning it [completely] off and on again?
</>

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: FOAK chargers

<ug8kj2$2fcho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26147&group=uk.rec.sheds#26147

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 12:16:49 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 11:16 UTC

On 12/10/2023 09:58, nev young wrote:
> If you suspect over heating try this:
> right click on an empty bit of the status bar.
> select "+ add to panel"
> look for "hardware sensors monitor"

Not present, even on show all of 'em"

Look after Mrs Sheep, my eyesight is getting worserer and worserer

> add it (It can be removed again when no longer wanted.)
> Use preferences to show cpu & MB temp etc.
> Now you will know if it is running hot or not.
>
> If fan blows heartily all the time look for a cpu-bound process and
> consider killing it.

No, it's just wafting listlessly ATM

I goove I'll have to lump it till I get home and can hfr the big bloo wbo.

ta

--
Rusty Hinge

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / FOAK chargers