Do not throw cigarette butts in the urinal, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

SubjectAuthor
* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketClive Page
+* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketAnna Noyd-Dryver
|`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
| `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketClive Page
 +* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRecliner
 |`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketmartin.coffee
 | `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketAnna Noyd-Dryver
 +* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
 |`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 | `* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketmartin.coffee
 |  `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 +* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketTheo
 |`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 | +* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
 | |`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 | | `* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
 | |  `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 | `* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketTheo
 |  +* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketClive Page
 |  |+* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 |  ||+* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
 |  |||`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 |  ||| `* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
 |  |||  `* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 |  |||   `* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
 |  |||    `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 |  ||`- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |  |`* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketmartin.coffee
 |  | `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketSam Wilson
 |  `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 +- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
 `* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketArthur Figgis
  +- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketAnna Noyd-Dryver
  +* Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketClive Page
  |`- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketRoland Perry
  `- Refusal to sell me a CIV ticketNobody

Pages:12
Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t1f4rh$q50$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26003&group=uk.railway#26003

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:46:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bt2pLhxZ1YN0XudRaSjg1G2xMaA=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:46 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t1d370$8dn$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:06:24 on Tue, 22 Mar
> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <awE*MzNJy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 14:13:44 on Tue,
>>> 22 Mar 2022, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:

>>> Because the are in the ticket database (mainly but maybe not exclusively
>>> an Avantix product).

>>> If only they had computers and databases to help them look up ticket
>>> prices!!

>>> Traditionally there was something about the E* ticketing site which
>>> didn't allow you to book through travel. So even if your trip was
>>> domestic + E* + an overnight in say Paris + TGV, *ALL* of which they
>>> claimed were bookable thorough their portal, you couldn't actually do
>>> more than two of them at a time.
>>
>> I’ve just been looking at the E* site to explore holiday options and it
>> looks as though the only UK station now available is StP,
>
> That would rule out them having to offer a three-leg trip, which was I
> found they didn't want to do. (I assume you checked a random UK station
> to Paris to see if that two-leg trip was on offer.

Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow - the dropdown field tries to
match what you type and can’t find anything that matches more than a couple
of letters of those names.

>> though I can book to many, but by no means all, stations in mainland
>> France. There’s also an “any stations in Belgium” option
>
> "Any station in Belgium" always was a bonus, but didn't require a
> separate ticket, they just accepted the ticket to Brussels anywhere (so
> not an extra leg involved).

I haven’t checked whether that’s an extra ticket or not.

>> but I can’t find any other stations in the Netherlands except
>> Amsterdam CS.
>
> Not even Rotterdam? Or do you have to buy a ticket to Amsterdam and stop
> short.

Apologies, Rotterdam direct is an option. I tried Haarlem, Den Haag,
Utrecht etc with no success.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t1f4rh$q50$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26004&group=uk.railway#26004

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:46:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:P0CLh0h0zrFURhXY0agpoHVkmUs=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:46 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <ja09ulFek37U1@mid.individual.net>, at 10:09:26 on Wed, 23
> Mar 2022, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> remarked:
>
>> As others observe, [Eurostar is] getting more and more like an airline.
>
> It's always been like that.

But it used to sell connections to stations other than StP and now it
doesn’t. It’s getting more like EasyJet or RyanAir rather than one of the
alliances.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t1f9jj$15m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26025&group=uk.railway#26025

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:07:46 +0000
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:07 UTC

On 23/03/2022 10:09, Clive Page wrote:
> On 23/03/2022 09:53, Theo wrote:
>> The problem is not that the fares aren't in the database, it's that the
>> customer goes:
>
> Well some of the fares are in the main fares database, and others are
> available to ticket clerks, so they must be in *some* database.  The
> brfares.com site shows some CIV fares from some stations, but the EMR
> ticket office at St.Pancras was able to find me a cheaper ticket than
> the cheapest shown in brfares.com, which I was able to buy.
>
> I agree that ideally Eurostar should sell them, and a few years ago it
> used to, at least from principal stations around the UK, but no longer
> seems to be interested.  As others observe, it's getting more and more
> like an airline.

At one time the Eurostar telesales could sell you the CIV fares from any
station. The "any station in the Netherlands" fare used to be available
on their website but became telesales only many years ago. I don't know
if this is is still the case.

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<D7aV44zCEzOiFABZ@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26031&group=uk.railway#26031

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:38:58 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:38 UTC

In message <t1f4rh$q50$2@dont-email.me>, at 12:46:41 on Wed, 23 Mar
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ja09ulFek37U1@mid.individual.net>, at 10:09:26 on Wed, 23
>> Mar 2022, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> remarked:
>>
>>> As others observe, [Eurostar is] getting more and more like an airline.
>>
>> It's always been like that.
>
>But it used to sell connections to stations other than StP and now it
>doesn’t. It’s getting more like EasyJet or RyanAir rather than one of the
>alliances.

The connections-selling was something it didn't do originally, then they
introduced multi-leg ticketing (but only two legs not three) and if
they've now gone back to only selling tickets for their own legs, that's
back where they started.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<taxOAi1sMzOiFAHH@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26032&group=uk.railway#26032

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:48:12 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:48 UTC

In message <t1f4rh$q50$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:46:41 on Wed, 23 Mar
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>> "Any station in Belgium" always was a bonus, but didn't require a
>> separate ticket, they just accepted the ticket to Brussels anywhere (so
>> not an extra leg involved).
>
>I haven’t checked whether that’s an extra ticket or not.

It wasn't. They simply accept your London-Brussels ticket on domestic
Brussels-$foo domestic trains. I think some friends of mine just before
lockdown did London-Brussels-Bruges on such a booking. Just one 'ticket'
one bit of paper.

I never used the facility other than to travel to/from stations in the
Brussels suburbs that were nearer my hotel. It's a bit like the
destination in that case wasn't just "Brussels Midi", but "Brussels
Stations" with a change allowed.

In the UK I think there might be tickets to "Liverpool, anywhere on
Merseyrail" rather than just Lime St, but I'd have to confirm that. It
wouldn't be very different to a ticket to London from the provinces
being "Z2" rather than merely "London Terminals". That's again just one
ticket, they don't issue a ticket to London Terminals, and then another
ticket "London Terminals to Z2".
--
Roland Perry

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t1feg0$9sn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26036&group=uk.railway#26036

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:31:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4L+/F+tHl8Dsh59U7EdqFeq2CV4=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:31 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t1f4rh$q50$2@dont-email.me>, at 12:46:41 on Wed, 23 Mar
> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <ja09ulFek37U1@mid.individual.net>, at 10:09:26 on Wed, 23
>>> Mar 2022, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> remarked:

>>> It's always been like that.
>>
>> But it used to sell connections to stations other than StP and now it
>> doesn’t. It’s getting more like EasyJet or RyanAir rather than one of the
>> alliances.
>
> The connections-selling was something it didn't do originally, then they
> introduced multi-leg ticketing (but only two legs not three) and if
> they've now gone back to only selling tickets for their own legs, that's
> back where they started.

Except for major-ish stations in France!

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t1feg0$9sn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26037&group=uk.railway#26037

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:31:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QGvs4inVgGT2Y/Vfdoy2smFkS2M=

<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 23/03/2022 10:09, Clive Page wrote:
>> On 23/03/2022 09:53, Theo wrote:
>>> The problem is not that the fares aren't in the database, it's that the
>>> customer goes:
>>
>> Well some of the fares are in the main fares database, and others are
>> available to ticket clerks, so they must be in *some* database.  The
>> brfares.com site shows some CIV fares from some stations, but the EMR
>> ticket office at St.Pancras was able to find me a cheaper ticket than
>> the cheapest shown in brfares.com, which I was able to buy.
>>
>> I agree that ideally Eurostar should sell them, and a few years ago it
>> used to, at least from principal stations around the UK, but no longer
>> seems to be interested.  As others observe, it's getting more and more
>> like an airline.
>>
> At one time the Eurostar telesales could sell you the CIV fares from any
> station. The "any station in the Netherlands" fare used to be available
> on their website but became telesales only many years ago. I don't know
> if this is is still the case.

Certainly not via the website - see parallel subthreads.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t58+Y96a7zOiFAlo@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26039&group=uk.railway#26039

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:38:02 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:38 UTC

In message <t1feg0$9sn$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:31:12 on Wed, 23 Mar
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t1f4rh$q50$2@dont-email.me>, at 12:46:41 on Wed, 23 Mar
>> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> But it used to sell connections to stations other than StP and now it
>>> doesn’t. It’s getting more like EasyJet or RyanAir rather than
>>>one of the
>>> alliances.
>>
>> The connections-selling was something it didn't do originally, then they
>> introduced multi-leg ticketing (but only two legs not three) and if
>> they've now gone back to only selling tickets for their own legs, that's
>> back where they started.
>
>Except for major-ish stations in France!

The connections-selling I refer to are UK domestic connections. Not
having needed a French domestic connection I haven't tracked that
aspect, apart from perhaps my conviction that their booking engine was
unable to create more complicated than two-item itineraries.

Thus you could do E* + Hotel in Paris, or E* + TGV, or UK domestic + E*,
but *not* UK Domestic + E* + TGV or Domestic + E* +Hotel in Paris.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t1fg55$oco$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26044&group=uk.railway#26044

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:59:33 -0000 (UTC)
<t58+Y96a7zOiFAlo@perry.uk>
sha1:y0UQs2pqu5OQX+XemQsjnL/kq7U=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:59 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t1feg0$9sn$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:31:12 on Wed, 23 Mar
> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t1f4rh$q50$2@dont-email.me>, at 12:46:41 on Wed, 23 Mar
>>> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> The connections-selling was something it didn't do originally, then they
>>> introduced multi-leg ticketing (but only two legs not three) and if
>>> they've now gone back to only selling tickets for their own legs, that's
>>> back where they started.
>>
>> Except for major-ish stations in France!
>
> The connections-selling I refer to are UK domestic connections. Not
> having needed a French domestic connection I haven't tracked that
> aspect, apart from perhaps my conviction that their booking engine was
> unable to create more complicated than two-item itineraries.
>
> Thus you could do E* + Hotel in Paris, or E* + TGV, or UK domestic + E*,
> but *not* UK Domestic + E* + TGV or Domestic + E* +Hotel in Paris.

We seem to be in violent agreement that that’s what you used to be able to
do, whether because of technical limitations or commercial or political
ones, but now the UK domestic option seems to have been removed.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<ewAiaWAqi0OiFAyd@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26047&group=uk.railway#26047

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:19:54 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:19 UTC

In message <t1fg55$oco$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:59:33 on Wed, 23 Mar
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t1feg0$9sn$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:31:12 on Wed, 23 Mar
>> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Except for major-ish stations in France!
>>
>> The connections-selling I refer to are UK domestic connections. Not
>> having needed a French domestic connection I haven't tracked that
>> aspect, apart from perhaps my conviction that their booking engine was
>> unable to create more complicated than two-item itineraries.
>>
>> Thus you could do E* + Hotel in Paris, or E* + TGV, or UK domestic + E*,
>> but *not* UK Domestic + E* + TGV or Domestic + E* +Hotel in Paris.
>
>We seem to be in violent agreement that that’s what you used to be able to
>do, whether because of technical limitations or commercial or political
>ones, but now the UK domestic option seems to have been removed.

Fair enough, but that's a marketing policy, not because the UK CIV
tickets have been discontinued (which is what the OP was getting at).
Ticket windows at railway stations, on the other hand, are not
allowed such marketing discretion, and are bound by the DfT rules
of impartiality to sell all available tickets.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<t1g6ob$m2p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26098&group=uk.railway#26098

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:25:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+i1+OcKRhACcbWqq+PFq6aky/Cs=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:25 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <ja09ulFek37U1@mid.individual.net>, at 10:09:26 on Wed, 23
> Mar 2022, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> remarked:
>> On 23/03/2022 09:53, Theo wrote:
>>> The problem is not that the fares aren't in the database, it's that the
>>> customer goes:
>>
>> Well some of the fares are in the main fares database, and others are
>> available to ticket clerks, so they must be in *some* database. The
>> brfares.com site shows some CIV fares from some stations, but the EMR
>> ticket office at St.Pancras was able to find me a cheaper ticket than
>> the cheapest shown in brfares.com, which I was able to buy.
>
> This is the one I used to buy, and it's still there:
>
> <https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=NOT&dest=LNE>
>
>> I agree that ideally Eurostar should sell them, and a few years ago it
>> used to, at least from principal stations around the UK, but no longer
>> seems to be interested.
>
> Was that when some stations had a separate "Travel Centre", away from
> the routine ticket desk? I remember there being one at Peterborough, in
> a room on the left just inside the front door. The general ticket sales
> were from windows opening onto the concourse.

The one at Bristol Temple Meads closed for Covid and hasn't reopened.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Refusal to sell me a CIV ticket

<2rbn3hliap7h0l1c4qgo4e7s12h3vpuudf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26113&group=uk.railway#26113

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:46:44 -0700
 by: Nobody - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 23:46 UTC

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:26:56 +0000, Arthur Figgis
<afiggis@example.invalid> wrote:

>On 22/03/2022 11:34, Clive Page wrote:
>
>> The fact that there were very few responses to my original posting
>> suggests either that hardly anybody on this newsgroup is taking Eurostar
>> at present,
>A bear was seen heading towards a forested area, while an old guy in
>Rome with a funny hat said he was busy on Sunday.

An olde guy in Canterbury with a funny hat replied he wuz busy on
Sunday, too.

Mebbe both were in communion?