The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Back again

SubjectAuthor
* Back againPeter
+- Back againJeff Gaines
+* Back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+* Back againJohn Williamson
||+- Back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
||+* Back againTease'n'Seize
|||`- Back againPeter
||`* Back againBrian Gaff
|| `- Back againAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+* Back againPeter
||`- Back againJohn Williamson
|`* Back againRustyHinge
| `- Back againNicholas D. Richards
`* Back againTease'n'Seize
 `* Back againSn!pe
  `* Back againNicholas D. Richards
   `- Back againPeter

1
Back again

<XnsB09B79926F82AFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26144&group=uk.rec.sheds#26144

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Back again
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57 UTC

It looks like I missed some good discussion on ye Shedde yesterday. I had
to take the Babbage engine out of service to install a new bit and it took
me longer than I was expecting.

The operation was to install faster storage into the box. The chamine
already has a terabyte of spinning rust but it's just too slow. On the
advice of The Lad I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board
about the size and shape of a strip of 4 postage stamps, and holds a
terabyte of data. I find that staggering - my first home disk drive was a
5.25-inch floppy drive about the size of shoebox with a capacity of 100 kB
(why would anyone ever need that much storage?).

Also surprising was that it was not accompanied by the screws needed to
hold it in place. According to the drive, they come with the computer.
Nope. I ohled the computer and the drive from the same fubc, so I shall be
Having Words.

I have hundreds of screws and standoffs removed from computers over the
years and I sorted through them for ages, but the number that would do the
job was vanishingly small, indistinguishable from zero.

I've temporarily solved that problem using a small, folded piece of paper
wedged up under the graphic board to hold the new drive down onto its
stand-off, until I can get proper fixings. (These things tend to run hot,
so I'm keeping my eyes open for a gentle curl of smoke while I type this).

When I started the contraption it took a while before it understood that I
wanted the new drive to be initiated and installed as a new volume, but all
seems well for the time being. Now to start transferring data. I may be
some time.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Back again

<xn0o7zyh130y0zh003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26146&group=uk.rec.sheds#26146

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Back again
Date: 12 Oct 2023 11:02:10 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 11:02 UTC

On 12/10/2023 in message <XnsB09B79926F82AFactura3476@135.181.20.170>
Peter wrote:

>I have hundreds of screws and standoffs removed from computers over the
>years and I sorted through them for ages, but the number that would do the
>job was vanishingly small, indistinguishable from zero.

I expected they would use the fine threaded screws from the sides of disks
but no, even smaller. If you find the name of the thread I wouldn't mind
knowing.

My NVMe devices run 5 x faster than an SSD!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Re: Back again

<20231012130448.f23b7a44522b47479c755099@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26153&group=uk.rec.sheds#26153

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:04:48 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 12:04 UTC

On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:

> I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board

Lbooyd fast those things.

> about the size and shape of a strip of 4 postage stamps, and holds a
> terabyte of data. I find that staggering

The densest storage I know of is completely mad! 1TB micro SD eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Basics-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B08TJTBSGP/

Soon enough there will no doubt be even denser ones, but FFS just
what is the volume of a bit on one of those ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Back again

<koq8l2Fnac5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26154&group=uk.rec.sheds#26154

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:54:57 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 12:54 UTC

On 12/10/2023 13:04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
> Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board
>
> Lbooyd fast those things.
>
>> about the size and shape of a strip of 4 postage stamps, and holds a
>> terabyte of data. I find that staggering
>
> The densest storage I know of is completely mad! 1TB micro SD eg:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Basics-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B08TJTBSGP/
>
> Soon enough there will no doubt be even denser ones, but FFS just
> what is the volume of a bit on one of those ?

Now available at a price, 2 terabyte micro SD cards. I I could afford
one, I'd get one for the netbook.

They use, IIRC, a sort of analogue tech to store up to 4 bits in a
single cell.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Back again

<BmOdnUaUov02cLr4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26155&group=uk.rec.sheds#26155

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:59:23 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 12:59 UTC

Peter wrote:

> Also surprising was that it was not accompanied by the screws needed to
> hold it in place. According to the drive, they come with the computer.
> Nope. I ohled the computer and the drive from the same fubc, so I shall
> be Having Words. I have hundreds of screws and standoffs removed from
> computers over the years and I sorted through them for ages, but the
> number that would do the job was vanishingly small, indistinguishable
> from zero. I've temporarily solved that problem using a small, folded
> piece of paper

I have an external USB case that holds an NVMe, it doesn't hfr any
screws it just has a sort of ribber peg that you move to the relevant
hole, dependin on the longth of the stick.

Re: Back again

<20231012145211.62b15afc23391cf9fcfa3d5c@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26159&group=uk.rec.sheds#26159

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:52:11 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:52 UTC

On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:54:57 +0100
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> They use, IIRC, a sort of analogue tech to store up to 4 bits in a
> single cell.

They've been building up to that for a while - most SSDs are TLC
three bits per cell now, older ones are MLC two bits per cell - zbarlous
"enterprise grade" high load ones are SLC one bit per cell. The QLC four
bits per cell is mostly used USB sticks and SD cards.

As the number of bits per cell increases performance and write
durability both fall and not linearly it gets much worse on the bleeding
edge.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Back again

<XnsB09B98C4A4648Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26160&group=uk.rec.sheds#26160

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:01:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:01 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
> Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board
>
> Lbooyd fast those things.

I've just given it a try-out. Wow.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Back again

<1qiht72.l4k8c3ks90r0N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26161&group=uk.rec.sheds#26161

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:03:02 +0100
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:03 UTC

Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
> > Also surprising was that it was not accompanied by the screws needed to
> > hold it in place. According to the drive, they come with the computer.
> > Nope. I ohled the computer and the drive from the same fubc, so I shall
> > be Having Words. I have hundreds of screws and standoffs removed from
> > computers over the years and I sorted through them for ages, but the
> > number that would do the job was vanishingly small, indistinguishable
> > from zero. I've temporarily solved that problem using a small, folded
> > piece of paper
>
> I have an external USB case that holds an NVMe, it doesn't hfr any
> screws it just has a sort of ribber peg that you move to the relevant
> hole, dependin on the longth of the stick.

What is this UXB that has a robber pig, prithee? How long should
the stick be? Do I need^Wdesire an UXB? ... Ooh, Fuval !...

Hmm, "fuval" strikes me as being a keeper.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.

My pet rock Gordon just said no.

Re: Back again

<koqedkFobm3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26164&group=uk.rec.sheds#26164

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:33:24 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:33 UTC

On 12/10/2023 15:01, Peter wrote:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
>> Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board
>>
>> Lbooyd fast those things.
>>

> I've just given it a try-out. Wow.

As I don't have the correct slot on this chamine, I just dumped an SSD
in it. I have an identical spare machine with spinning rust(Same size,
cloned disc, near enough), and the comparison is like night and day.
This one even streams video better, for some reason.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Back again

<bZGZu5AVQBKlFAca@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26168&group=uk.rec.sheds#26168

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:43:17 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:43 UTC

In article <1qiht72.l4k8c3ks90r0N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snipeco.2@gmail.com> on Thu, 12 Oct 2023 at 15:03:02 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>
>> Peter wrote:
>>
>> > Also surprising was that it was not accompanied by the screws needed to
>> > hold it in place. According to the drive, they come with the computer.
>> > Nope. I ohled the computer and the drive from the same fubc, so I shall
>> > be Having Words. I have hundreds of screws and standoffs removed from
>> > computers over the years and I sorted through them for ages, but the
>> > number that would do the job was vanishingly small, indistinguishable
>> > from zero. I've temporarily solved that problem using a small, folded
>> > piece of paper
>>
>> I have an external USB case that holds an NVMe, it doesn't hfr any
>> screws it just has a sort of ribber peg that you move to the relevant
>> hole, dependin on the longth of the stick.
>
>What is this UXB that has a robber pig, prithee? How long should
>the stick be? Do I need^Wdesire an UXB? ... Ooh, Fuval !...
>

>Hmm, "fuval" strikes me as being a keeper.

^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
^^^^^^^^^^^

I want to reply, maybe tomorrow or the day after, maybe.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Back again

<YrCdnb2OU9kSirX4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26169&group=uk.rec.sheds#26169

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:58:07 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:58 UTC

John Williamson wrote:

> They use, IIRC, a sort of analogue tech to store up to 4 bits in a
> single cell.

yes QLC flash, stores 16 voltage levels per cell, rather than two.

Re: Back again

<XnsB09BAF677F4DAFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26171&group=uk.rec.sheds#26171

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:14:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:14 UTC

Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in

> John Williamson wrote:
>
>> They use, IIRC, a sort of analogue tech to store up to 4 bits in a
>> single cell.
>
> yes QLC flash, stores 16 voltage levels per cell, rather than two.

Coo, that's clever. I'm going to gurgle that to see how they do it.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Back again

<XnsB09BB09AFD05BFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26173&group=uk.rec.sheds#26173

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:21:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:21 UTC

"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in

> I want to reply, maybe tomorrow or the day after, maybe.

Today ES seems to be doing all the procrastinating you might want.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Back again

<ugb9qc$359ht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26188&group=uk.rec.sheds#26188

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:31:20 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:31 UTC

Soon we will have quantum computers, the ones that can be in several places
at the same time, but each one is only accurate half of the time.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"John Williamson" <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 12/10/2023 13:04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
>> Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board
>>
>> Lbooyd fast those things.
>>
>>> about the size and shape of a strip of 4 postage stamps, and holds a
>>> terabyte of data. I find that staggering
>>
>> The densest storage I know of is completely mad! 1TB micro SD eg:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Basics-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B08TJTBSGP/
>>
>> Soon enough there will no doubt be even denser ones, but FFS just
>> what is the volume of a bit on one of those ?
>>
> Now available at a price, 2 terabyte micro SD cards. I I could afford one,
> I'd get one for the netbook.
>
> They use, IIRC, a sort of analogue tech to store up to 4 bits in a single
> cell.
>
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

Re: Back again

<20231013130822.96c7377a781d64bdf76b6ec0@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26191&group=uk.rec.sheds#26191

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:08:22 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:08 UTC

On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:31:20 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Soon we will have quantum computers,

What do you mean soon ? IBM announced their second generation
quantum computer last year!

<https://newsroom.ibm.com/2022-11-09-IBM-Unveils-400-Qubit-Plus-Quantum-Processor-and-Next-Generation-IBM-Quantum-System-Two>

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Back again

<ugcj9o$3f6sg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26196&group=uk.rec.sheds#26196

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:19:20 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 23:19 UTC

On 12/10/2023 13:04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
> Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board
>
> Lbooyd fast those things.
>
>> about the size and shape of a strip of 4 postage stamps, and holds a
>> terabyte of data. I find that staggering
>
> The densest storage I know of is completely mad! 1TB micro SD eg:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Basics-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B08TJTBSGP/
>
> Soon enough there will no doubt be even denser ones, but FFS just
> what is the volume of a bit on one of those ?

A little bit?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Back again

<quWljVAUqmKlFApX@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26205&group=uk.rec.sheds#26205

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:16:52 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:16 UTC

In article <ugcj9o$3f6sg$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
r.girolle.co.uk> on Sat, 14 Oct 2023 at 00:19:20 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On 12/10/2023 13:04, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
>> Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I went for summat called NVMe, which comes on a board
>>
>> Lbooyd fast those things.
>>
>>> about the size and shape of a strip of 4 postage stamps, and holds a
>>> terabyte of data. I find that staggering
>>
>> The densest storage I know of is completely mad! 1TB micro SD eg:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Basics-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B08TJTBSGP/
>>
>> Soon enough there will no doubt be even denser ones, but FFS just
>> what is the volume of a bit on one of those ?
>>
>A little bit?

And a bite of that? Or only a nibble.
--
0sterc@tcher -