From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: OK a new thread on audio on tv channels that are inactive
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:19:50 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 09:19 UTC

I notice that on one of the Children's channels on BBC there is often a
loop playing of birds and sounds like in a quiet street, I cannot see the
picture, but I'm assuming there is not one. Obviously these channels tend to
not be active when another channel is to even up the bandwidth use, but why,
then do they waste it with audio, and if its insignificant, why not use it
for something useful instead?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: OK a new thread on audio on tv channels that are inactive

<ipedrqFglmqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26152&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26152

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:05:30 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:05 UTC

On 03/09/2021 10:19 am, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

> I notice that on one of the Children's channels on BBC there is often a
> loop playing of birds and sounds like in a quiet street, I cannot see the
> picture, but I'm assuming there is not one. Obviously these channels tend to
> not be active when another channel is to even up the bandwidth use, but why,
> then do they waste it with audio, and if its insignificant, why not use it
> for something useful instead?
> Brian

Perhaps this is a "test card" type function for checking "tuning", etc?

I remember that Classic FM used to play out a recording of the sounds of
a summer garden (complete with bees buzzing past the microphones) for a
few weeks before they started official broadcasts.

Re: OK a new thread on audio on tv channels that are inactive

<ipefi9Fh2oeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26153&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26153

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:34:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:34 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> I notice that on one of the Children's channels on BBC there is often a
> loop playing of birds and sounds like in a quiet street, I cannot see the
> picture, but I'm assuming there is not one.

There is (or at least used to be) a picture, showing an animation loop,
saying something like "CBeebies is having a little nap"

> Obviously these channels tend to
> not be active when another channel is to even up the bandwidth use, but why,
> then do they waste it with audio, and if its insignificant, why not use it
> for something useful instead?

It's there because BBC Three used to share that slot.