From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Unbuilt Railways on maps.
Date: 24 Mar 2022 16:19:14 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:19 UTC

Now we have relatively easy access to some old maps on line it is quite
interesting to have a peruse occasionally .
A while back I was looking at the New Forest area and the news on the
Fawley Branch reminded me that earlier schemes in the area had proposals to
link to the Isle of Wight.

One of them was actually included on Bartholomews New Forest and Isle of
Wight edition for 1902
and the route including tunnel well marked.
I wonder if when the map was within its use by date say up to the 1930’s
some people made travel plans based on it and in vain asked for train times
and tickets.

The route that never was can be seen leaving the Lymington Branch .

<https://maps.nls.uk/view/97131110>

Anyone know of any other examples that made it onto a map but not the
ground.

GH

Re: Unbuilt Railways on maps.

<t1iaot$p89$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26174&group=uk.railway#26174

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Unbuilt Railways on maps.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:45:45 -0000
 by: NY - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:45 UTC

"Marland" <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Now we have relatively easy access to some old maps on line it is quite
> interesting to have a peruse occasionally .
> A while back I was looking at the New Forest area and the news on the
> Fawley Branch reminded me that earlier schemes in the area had proposals
> link to the Isle of Wight.
>
> One of them was actually included on Bartholomews New Forest and Isle of
> Wight edition for 1902
> and the route including tunnel well marked.
> I wonder if when the map was within its use by date say up to the 1930’s
> some people made travel plans based on it and in vain asked for train
> times
> and tickets.
>
> The route that never was can be seen leaving the Lymington Branch .
>
> <https://maps.nls.uk/view/97131110>
>
> Anyone know of any other examples that made it onto a map but not the
> ground.

Well I never knew about this. I wonder how the IoW would have been different
if it had been built. The Yarmouth-Newport-Smallbrook section would probably
have stayed open. Did any construction work for the tunnel link line
actually begin before the line was cancelled?

Re: Unbuilt Railways on maps.

<bdrp3h1s1f41tbcg9ht6u4ne0telv05f0o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26211&group=uk.railway#26211

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:20:45 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 22:20 UTC

On 24 Mar 2022 16:19:14 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Now we have relatively easy access to some old maps on line it is quite
>interesting to have a peruse occasionally .
>A while back I was looking at the New Forest area and the news on the
>Fawley Branch reminded me that earlier schemes in the area had proposals to
>link to the Isle of Wight.
>
>One of them was actually included on Bartholomews New Forest and Isle of
>Wight edition for 1902
>and the route including tunnel well marked.
>I wonder if when the map was within its use by date say up to the 1930’s
>some people made travel plans based on it and in vain asked for train times
>and tickets.
>
>The route that never was can be seen leaving the Lymington Branch .
>
><https://maps.nls.uk/view/97131110>
>
>Anyone know of any other examples that made it onto a map but not the
>ground.

Northern Line extension.
https://busandtrainuser.com/2022/02/24/off-the-rails-the-line-that-never-was/

Alexandra Palace, Denham