Dishonor will not trouble me, once I am dead. -- Euripides

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests

SubjectAuthor
* Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA testswilliamwright
`* Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA testsFredxx
 `* Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA testswilliamwright
  +* Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA testsThe Other John
  |`- Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA testswilliamwright
  `- Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA testsFredxx

1
Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests

<ipl4bmFphhtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26178&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26178

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 01:06:14 +0100
 by: williamwright - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 00:06 UTC

After the prostate and other bits have been removed the PSA should fall
to a very low figure. It could be a hundredth of the figure that some
labs can detect. So every three months for years the figure comes back
as less than 0.1. When it reaches 0.1 the threshold for further
treatment is reached. This can come as a shock.
However, some labs can detect down to 0.004. In that case, the PSA can
be properly tracked. If it doubles every three months you get plenty of
warning that you will eventually need further treatment.
I advise any post-op prostate patient to ask to see the PSA figures. If
it's a row of 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 ask if you can use the phlebotomists at a
big hospital that has modern methods of assaying the bloods.

Bill

Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests

<sh47eh$4h5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26179&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26179

From: fre...@nospam.co.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 06:03:12 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 05:03 UTC

On 06/09/2021 01:06, williamwright wrote:
> After the prostate and other bits have been removed the PSA should fall
> to a very low figure. It could be a hundredth of the figure that some
> labs can detect. So every three months for years the figure comes back
> as less than 0.1. When it reaches 0.1 the threshold for further
> treatment is reached. This can come as a shock.
> However, some labs can detect down to 0.004. In that case, the PSA can
> be properly tracked. If it doubles every three months you get plenty of
> warning that you will eventually need further treatment.
> I advise any post-op prostate patient to ask to see the PSA figures. If
> it's a row of 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 ask if you can use the phlebotomists at a
> big hospital that has modern methods of assaying the bloods.

I'm surprised at the levels you're quoting. They seemed low and after
checking the consensus is 0 to 4 (ng/ml) is normal. Thankfully mine is low.

Can anything more be removed if 'everything' has already been removed?
What does your GP say? A regime of radiotherapy to catch the last
straggling cancer cells?

Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests

<ipmcpaF2bajU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26199&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26199

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 12:36:11 +0100
 by: williamwright - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:36 UTC

On 06/09/2021 06:03, Fredxx wrote:
> On 06/09/2021 01:06, williamwright wrote:
>> After the prostate and other bits have been removed the PSA should
>> fall to a very low figure. It could be a hundredth of the figure that
>> some labs can detect. So every three months for years the figure comes
>> back as less than 0.1. When it reaches 0.1 the threshold for further
>> treatment is reached. This can come as a shock.
>> However, some labs can detect down to 0.004. In that case, the PSA can
>> be properly tracked. If it doubles every three months you get plenty
>> of warning that you will eventually need further treatment.
>> I advise any post-op prostate patient to ask to see the PSA figures.
>> If it's a row of 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 ask if you can use the phlebotomists at
>> a big hospital that has modern methods of assaying the bloods.
>
> I'm surprised at the levels you're quoting. They seemed low and after
> checking the consensus is 0 to 4 (ng/ml) is normal. Thankfully mine is low.

These are post-op figures. Much lower than pre-op.

> Can anything more be removed if 'everything' has already been removed?

The problem is that even when the prostate, part of the urethra, part of
the sphincter muscles, and lymph nodes have been removed there might
still be stray cancer cells left. Hopefully these have not moved from
the prostate bed.

> What does your GP say?

Nothing to do with the GP. It's all dealt with by the cancer hospital.

A regime of radiotherapy to catch the last
> straggling cancer cells?

Yes. The national guideline for starting is 0.1.

Bill

Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests

<sh56na$94s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26214&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26214

From: nom...@here.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 13:56:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 13:56 UTC

On Mon, 06 Sep 2021 12:36:11 +0100, williamwright wrote:

> The national guideline for starting is 0.1.

Mine continues to be reported as <0.1 two years after hormone and
radiotherapy. They say it's too low to measure acurately.

--
TOJ.

Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests

<sh59lo$1v6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26216&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26216

From: fre...@nospam.co.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 15:47:20 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 14:47 UTC

On 06/09/2021 12:36, williamwright wrote:
> On 06/09/2021 06:03, Fredxx wrote:
>> On 06/09/2021 01:06, williamwright wrote:
>>> After the prostate and other bits have been removed the PSA should
>>> fall to a very low figure. It could be a hundredth of the figure that
>>> some labs can detect. So every three months for years the figure
>>> comes back as less than 0.1. When it reaches 0.1 the threshold for
>>> further treatment is reached. This can come as a shock.
>>> However, some labs can detect down to 0.004. In that case, the PSA
>>> can be properly tracked. If it doubles every three months you get
>>> plenty of warning that you will eventually need further treatment.
>>> I advise any post-op prostate patient to ask to see the PSA figures.
>>> If it's a row of 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 ask if you can use the phlebotomists
>>> at a big hospital that has modern methods of assaying the bloods.
>>
>> I'm surprised at the levels you're quoting. They seemed low and after
>> checking the consensus is 0 to 4 (ng/ml) is normal. Thankfully mine is
>> low.
>

> These are post-op figures. Much lower than pre-op.
>

>> Can anything more be removed if 'everything' has already been removed?
>

> The problem is that even when the prostate, part of the urethra, part of
> the sphincter muscles, and lymph nodes have been removed there might
> still be stray cancer cells left. Hopefully these have not moved from
> the prostate bed.
>
>> What does your GP say?
>

> Nothing to do with the GP. It's all dealt with by the cancer hospital.
>
>  A regime of radiotherapy to catch the last
>> straggling cancer cells?
>
> Yes. The national guideline for starting is 0.1.

Thanks, I live and learn.

Re: Prostate cancer: post-operative PSA tests

<ipnd4pF8f7nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26231&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26231

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 21:48:26 +0100
 by: williamwright - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:48 UTC

On 06/09/2021 14:56, The Other John wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2021 12:36:11 +0100, williamwright wrote:
>
>> The national guideline for starting is 0.1.
>
> Mine continues to be reported as <0.1 two years after hormone and
> radiotherapy. They say it's too low to measure acurately.

Your bloods are being analysed by a machine that can't detect levels (or
a rise) below 0.1.

Bill