From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Excel
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:18:01 +0000
References: <rp0t2p$mdg$1@dont-email.me> <rp0v8u$7to$1@dont-email.me> <rp0vo8$ce4$1@dont-email.me> <rp3a90$tvj$1@dont-email.me> <874klm91s4.fsf@yahoo.co.uk> <rp3fqg$81d$1@dont-email.me> <rp3goc$fn7$1@dont-email.me> <D$3zjxPVxUtfFA8e@perry.uk> <rp3kln$f87$1@dont-email.me> <O$lwDlZeZhtfFAtA@perry.uk> <rp5fb8$p1a$2@dont-email.me> <+2isxEpChktfFA7V@perry.uk> <rp5ils$f4r$2@dont-email.me> <fK$kuHu1wptfFAMz@perry.uk> <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me> <XQ+G4H4xY2tfFA84@perry.uk>
 by: Scott - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:18 UTC

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 06:46:09 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:41:36 on Thu, 19 Nov
>2020, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <rp5ils$f4r$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:50:36 on Thu, 19 Nov
>>> 2020, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> It's the way their sort works, yes.

>>> But he has a specific (and somewhat unconventional) order he wants the
>>> sort done in.

>>> What's ambiguous about his comment of "Exactly" under the final scheme
>>> above?
>>>

>>It contradicts what he said earlier.
>
>It's entirely consistent with "I would like to sort this column first by
>date and month, and then by year".
>
>>I just wish he'd provided an example of his own preferred order, or at
>>least selected one of your three examples.
>
>Yes, and I think we are stalemate until he does.

What does this crap have to do with the subject, which is redundancies
at P&O?

Re: OT: Excel

<t1i0bu$tg1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26158&group=uk.railway#26158

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:48:30 +0000
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:48 UTC

On 24/03/2022 14:18, Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 06:46:09 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:41:36 on Thu, 19 Nov
>> 2020, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> It contradicts what he said earlier.
>>
>> It's entirely consistent with "I would like to sort this column first by
>> date and month, and then by year".
>>
>>> I just wish he'd provided an example of his own preferred order, or at
>>> least selected one of your three examples.
>>
>> Yes, and I think we are stalemate until he does.
>
> What does this crap have to do with the subject, which is redundancies
> at P&O?

Look at the date of the message you're replying to!

Re: OT: Excel

<vqfp3hh6go5ocn1e5au68fqn00vh4u62kp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26180&group=uk.railway#26180

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:59:52 +0000
References: <rp0vo8$ce4$1@dont-email.me> <rp3a90$tvj$1@dont-email.me> <874klm91s4.fsf@yahoo.co.uk> <rp3fqg$81d$1@dont-email.me> <rp3goc$fn7$1@dont-email.me> <D$3zjxPVxUtfFA8e@perry.uk> <rp3kln$f87$1@dont-email.me> <O$lwDlZeZhtfFAtA@perry.uk> <rp5fb8$p1a$2@dont-email.me> <+2isxEpChktfFA7V@perry.uk> <rp5ils$f4r$2@dont-email.me> <fK$kuHu1wptfFAMz@perry.uk> <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me> <XQ+G4H4xY2tfFA84@perry.uk> <kbvo3hpo73i8d7ir6rrh18hk12tb7e9d7i@4ax.com> <t1i0bu$tg1$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Scott - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:59 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:48:30 +0000,
martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:

>On 24/03/2022 14:18, Scott wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 06:46:09 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:41:36 on Thu, 19 Nov
>>> 2020, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> It's entirely consistent with "I would like to sort this column first by
>>> date and month, and then by year".

>>> Yes, and I think we are stalemate until he does.
>>
>> What does this crap have to do with the subject, which is redundancies
>> at P&O?
>
>Look at the date of the message you're replying to!

On my newsreader (Agent) every message in the thread is showing as
24/03/2022.

Re: OT: Excel

<28gp3ht799i364otfu7e8tfv8thju2tsb9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26186&group=uk.railway#26186

From: john.gen...@googlemail.com (John)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:22:21 +0000
References: <874klm91s4.fsf@yahoo.co.uk> <rp3fqg$81d$1@dont-email.me> <rp3goc$fn7$1@dont-email.me> <D$3zjxPVxUtfFA8e@perry.uk> <rp3kln$f87$1@dont-email.me> <O$lwDlZeZhtfFAtA@perry.uk> <rp5fb8$p1a$2@dont-email.me> <+2isxEpChktfFA7V@perry.uk> <rp5ils$f4r$2@dont-email.me> <fK$kuHu1wptfFAMz@perry.uk> <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me> <XQ+G4H4xY2tfFA84@perry.uk> <kbvo3hpo73i8d7ir6rrh18hk12tb7e9d7i@4ax.com> <t1i0bu$tg1$1@dont-email.me> <vqfp3hh6go5ocn1e5au68fqn00vh4u62kp@4ax.com>
 by: John - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:22 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:59:52 +0000, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:48:30 +0000,
> martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:
>
> >On 24/03/2022 14:18, Scott wrote:

big snip

> >> What does this crap have to do with the subject, which is redundancies
> >> at P&O?
> >
> >Look at the date of the message you're replying to!
>
> On my newsreader (Agent) every message in the thread is showing as
> 24/03/2022.

Agent can suffer from "hash clash" if you have thousands of messages
in one folder.

To quote an explanation from Ralph Fox in 2013

" Agent does not actually compare the MIDs when threading. Agent
hashes the MIDs to numbers, and Agent compares the hash numbers.
Occasionally two different MIDs will have the same hash number,
and that is when mis-threading can occur.

For headers without bodies Agent does not even store the MIDs
from the References header. Agent stores only the hash numbers. "

The way to solve it is to move some of the messages into an another,
archive, folder.

--
Regards

John

Re: OT: Excel

<2ilp3hlcbo9d5fk8jeve1k9b38mopldsq7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26192&group=uk.railway#26192

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:36:35 +0000
References: <rp3fqg$81d$1@dont-email.me> <rp3goc$fn7$1@dont-email.me> <D$3zjxPVxUtfFA8e@perry.uk> <rp3kln$f87$1@dont-email.me> <O$lwDlZeZhtfFAtA@perry.uk> <rp5fb8$p1a$2@dont-email.me> <+2isxEpChktfFA7V@perry.uk> <rp5ils$f4r$2@dont-email.me> <fK$kuHu1wptfFAMz@perry.uk> <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me> <XQ+G4H4xY2tfFA84@perry.uk> <kbvo3hpo73i8d7ir6rrh18hk12tb7e9d7i@4ax.com> <t1i0bu$tg1$1@dont-email.me> <vqfp3hh6go5ocn1e5au68fqn00vh4u62kp@4ax.com> <28gp3ht799i364otfu7e8tfv8thju2tsb9@4ax.com>
 by: Scott - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:36 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:22:21 +0000, John <john.geneal@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:59:52 +0000, Scott
><newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:48:30 +0000,
>> martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:
>>
>> >On 24/03/2022 14:18, Scott wrote:
>
>big snip

>> >Look at the date of the message you're replying to!
>>
>> On my newsreader (Agent) every message in the thread is showing as
>> 24/03/2022.
>

>Agent can suffer from "hash clash" if you have thousands of messages
>in one folder.
>
>To quote an explanation from Ralph Fox in 2013
>

>" Agent does not actually compare the MIDs when threading. Agent
>hashes the MIDs to numbers, and Agent compares the hash numbers.
>Occasionally two different MIDs will have the same hash number,
>and that is when mis-threading can occur.
>
>For headers without bodies Agent does not even store the MIDs
>from the References header. Agent stores only the hash numbers. "
>
>The way to solve it is to move some of the messages into an another,
>archive, folder.

No wonder I was confused :-)

Re: OT: Excel

<mfmp3hh08lpc6gdpt74okoo6dr2k83v8v0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26194&group=uk.railway#26194

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:56:45 +0000
References: <874klm91s4.fsf@yahoo.co.uk> <rp3fqg$81d$1@dont-email.me> <rp3goc$fn7$1@dont-email.me> <D$3zjxPVxUtfFA8e@perry.uk> <rp3kln$f87$1@dont-email.me> <O$lwDlZeZhtfFAtA@perry.uk> <rp5fb8$p1a$2@dont-email.me> <+2isxEpChktfFA7V@perry.uk> <rp5ils$f4r$2@dont-email.me> <fK$kuHu1wptfFAMz@perry.uk> <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me> <XQ+G4H4xY2tfFA84@perry.uk> <kbvo3hpo73i8d7ir6rrh18hk12tb7e9d7i@4ax.com> <t1i0bu$tg1$1@dont-email.me> <vqfp3hh6go5ocn1e5au68fqn00vh4u62kp@4ax.com>
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:56 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:59:52 +0000, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:48:30 +0000,
>martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:
>
>>On 24/03/2022 14:18, Scott wrote:

>>> What does this crap have to do with the subject, which is redundancies
>>> at P&O?
>>
>>Look at the date of the message you're replying to!
>
>On my newsreader (Agent) every message in the thread is showing as
>24/03/2022.

It looks like your indexing might be corrupted.
("Repair selected folder" on my ancient copy?)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OT: Excel

<97pp3hla4bqupttv43mtal3bitisrbvrv1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26203&group=uk.railway#26203

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 21:39:28 +0000
References: <rp3fqg$81d$1@dont-email.me> <rp3goc$fn7$1@dont-email.me> <D$3zjxPVxUtfFA8e@perry.uk> <rp3kln$f87$1@dont-email.me> <O$lwDlZeZhtfFAtA@perry.uk> <rp5fb8$p1a$2@dont-email.me> <+2isxEpChktfFA7V@perry.uk> <rp5ils$f4r$2@dont-email.me> <fK$kuHu1wptfFAMz@perry.uk> <rp6780$uss$1@dont-email.me> <XQ+G4H4xY2tfFA84@perry.uk> <kbvo3hpo73i8d7ir6rrh18hk12tb7e9d7i@4ax.com> <t1i0bu$tg1$1@dont-email.me> <vqfp3hh6go5ocn1e5au68fqn00vh4u62kp@4ax.com> <mfmp3hh08lpc6gdpt74okoo6dr2k83v8v0@4ax.com>
 by: Scott - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 21:39 UTC