Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 02:54:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Michael Vaughan cleared of using racist langauge
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:54 UTC

Come on you liberal; bigots, let' s be having you.
.... RH

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/03/31/michael-vaughan-racism-verdict-latest-yorkshire-azeem-rafiq/

Yorkshire racism verdict live: Michael Vaughan cleared of using racist language – latest reaction Updated 6 minutes ago
Michael Vaughan - Yorkshire racism verdict live: Michael Vaughan cleared of using racist language – latest reaction
Vaughan was the only person to defend himself at the recent hearing of the Cricket Discipline Commission CREDIT: Paul Childs/Reuters
KEY MOMENTS
Chosen by us to get you up to speed at a glance

Vaughan: 'no winners'
Former captain's statement after being found not guilty of racism
Vaughan cleared
Panel finds that Vaughan did not make notorious 'you lot' comment
Cricket Scotland chair resigns
Rafiq had accused Luthra of "quite scary lack of respect to everyone"
'Life and livelihood' at stake
Verdict on Michael Vaughan's 'you lot' comment to be announced

By Nick Hoult

Michael Vaughan has been cleared of using racist language while a Yorkshire player in 2009 following the verdicts delivered by the Cricket Discipline Commission.

The Ashes-winning former England captain had been accused by Azeem Rafiq of using the phrase “There are too many of you lot, we need to have a word about that,” directed at four Asian players in a team huddle before a Twenty20 match between Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire.

Vaughan has been found not guilty by the CDC panel after three weeks of deliberations.

Vaughan was charged with bringing the game into disrepute by the England & Wales Cricket Board but always vehemently denied the allegation and told a hearing in London earlier this month it was “inconceivable” he had made the remark.

Rafiq was backed up by England spinner Adil Rashid but his evidence appeared to be undermined during cross-examination by Vaughan’s legal team who exposed inconsistencies in his story and suggested he had been forced to give evidence to back up his business partner Rafiq.

The Vaughan case is the only time Rafiq’s evidence, which has precipitated a huge scandal in English cricket, has been tested under cross examination.

Read more at : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/03/31/michael-vaughan-racism-verdict-latest-yorkshire-azeem-rafiq/

Re: Michael Vaughan cleared of using racist langauge

<4b4c4adf-d4e5-48c5-99cf-d5a682ad39f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26204&group=uk.sport.cricket#26204

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 03:16:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:16 UTC

On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 10:54:14 AM UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> Come on you liberal; bigots, let' s be having you.
> ... RH
>

> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/03/31/michael-vaughan-racism-verdict-latest-yorkshire-azeem-rafiq/
>
> Yorkshire racism verdict live: Michael Vaughan cleared of using racist language – latest reaction Updated 6 minutes ago
> Michael Vaughan - Yorkshire racism verdict live: Michael Vaughan cleared of using racist language – latest reaction
> Vaughan was the only person to defend himself at the recent hearing of the Cricket Discipline Commission CREDIT: Paul Childs/Reuters
> KEY MOMENTS
> Chosen by us to get you up to speed at a glance
>
> Vaughan: 'no winners'
> Former captain's statement after being found not guilty of racism
> Vaughan cleared
> Panel finds that Vaughan did not make notorious 'you lot' comment
> Cricket Scotland chair resigns
> Rafiq had accused Luthra of "quite scary lack of respect to everyone"
> 'Life and livelihood' at stake
> Verdict on Michael Vaughan's 'you lot' comment to be announced
>
> By Nick Hoult
>
> Michael Vaughan has been cleared of using racist language while a Yorkshire player in 2009 following the verdicts delivered by the Cricket Discipline Commission.
>
> The Ashes-winning former England captain had been accused by Azeem Rafiq of using the phrase “There are too many of you lot, we need to have a word about that,” directed at four Asian players in a team huddle before a Twenty20 match between Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire.
>
> Vaughan has been found not guilty by the CDC panel after three weeks of deliberations.
>
> Vaughan was charged with bringing the game into disrepute by the England & Wales Cricket Board but always vehemently denied the allegation and told a hearing in London earlier this month it was “inconceivable” he had made the remark.
>
> Rafiq was backed up by England spinner Adil Rashid but his evidence appeared to be undermined during cross-examination by Vaughan’s legal team who exposed inconsistencies in his story and suggested he had been forced to give evidence to back up his business partner Rafiq.
>
> The Vaughan case is the only time Rafiq’s evidence, which has precipitated a huge scandal in English cricket, has been tested under cross examination.
>
> Read more at : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/03/31/michael-vaughan-racism-verdict-latest-yorkshire-azeem-rafiq/

This is the most telling failure of the ECB investigation:

"The Vaughan case is the only time Rafiq’s evidence, which has precipitated a huge scandal in English cricket, has been tested under cross examination."
RH