Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 06:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Police respond to multiple reports of traps laid for cyclists on
Gloucestershire trail
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 13:39 UTC

Police in Gloucestershire have warned cyclists using a trail at a National Trust property near Stroud to be vigilant after tripwires and pieces of wood studded with nails were found. Gloucestershire Constabulary have now told road.cc they are "working to identify" a person who posted a photo of a woman on social media who was accused of laying them.

It is the second time this summer that traps have been discovered at Randwick Woods, with police warning in July that they had discovered similar devices, as well as drinks cans that had been cut open and holes dug into the ground then covered with foliage.

In a statement issued on Saturday, Gloucestershire Constabulary said: “We're asking those using Randwick Woods this bank holiday weekend to please be vigilant following reports of traps being left.

“A member of the public reported finding nails placed in pieces of wood and trip wires along the cycle track while in the area yesterday.

“Officers attended and could not find any traps, however, they could reappear.

“This is dangerous and not just to cyclists, but to walkers, children and animals.

“We are asking anyone who has seen suspicious activity in the wood or witnessed this taking place to please contact the Stroud Neighbourhood Team.”

According to one local Facebook group (link is external) in the Stroud area, both the July incident and the latest traps that have been found are believed by some local cyclists to be the work of the same individual, although others commenting on the thread have come to the defence of the person in question.

Since this article was first published, Gloucestershire Constabulary have told road.cc:

Police in Stroud are investigating following a number of reports of traps being set up on the cycle paths in Randwick Woods over recent months.

Members of the public have reported finding a number of hazards within the woods including wooden sticks placed in the ground, nails placed in pieces of wood and trip wires.

A number of people have shared posts on social media stating that a woman may have been responsible and officers are now working to identify the person who posted the original picture so that they can be spoken to about what they saw. This will allow officers to establish who was involved.

> Glasgow “pensioners” admit laying traps for cyclists in park

While setting traps for cyclists on trails or off-road cycle routes is sadly nothing new, there did appear to be a rise in the number of cases reported in the press across the country last year and particularly during the initial lockdown when going out for a walk, a run or a bike ride were among the limited reasons permitted for leaving the house.

https://road.cc/content/news/traps-laid-mountain-bikers-gloucestershire-trail-285977

Re: Police respond to multiple reports of traps laid for fairy-cyclists on Gloucestershire trail

<ipcb5dF4hefU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2628&group=uk.rec.cycling#2628

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Police respond to multiple reports of traps laid for
fairy-cyclists on Gloucestershire trail
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:07:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:07 UTC

[ ... ]

>> Glasgow “pensioners” admit laying traps for fairy-cyclists in park

Everyone needs a hobby.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Police respond to multiple reports of traps laid for cyclists on Gloucestershire trail