Wishing without work is like fishing without bait. -- Frank Tyger

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

SubjectAuthor
* Win7 is turning into a PITA nowOzix
+* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
|`* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowOzix
| `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
|  `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMax
|   `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
|    `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowPetzl
|     +* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
|     |`- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowPetzl
|     `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMax
|      `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowRod Speed
|       `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
|        +- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowPetzl
|        `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowRod Speed
|         `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
|          `- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowRod Speed
`* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowYosemite Sam
 `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowComputer Nerd Kev
  +* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowRod Speed
  |`* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowPetzl
  | +* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMax
  | |`- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowPetzl
  | +* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowRod Speed
  | |`* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMax
  | | `- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowRod Speed
  | `- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowYosemite Sam
  +* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMax
  |`- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowRod Speed
  `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowClocky
   +- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
   `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowComputer Nerd Kev
    +* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowPetzl
    |`- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
    +* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMax
    |`* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowComputer Nerd Kev
    | `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
    |  `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowComputer Nerd Kev
    |   `- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
    `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowkeithr0
     `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock
      `* Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowkeithr0
       `- Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA nowMarco Moock

Pages:12
Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<625e7d8d$1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2598&group=aus.computers#2598

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozix12...@yahoo.com (Ozix)
Subject: Win7 is turning into a PITA now
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:14:53 +0800
 by: Ozix - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:14 UTC

I had 2 old notebooks with Vista, decided to upgrade to Win7 rather than
chuck them out on verge collection.
I have a desktop with Win7, and it still goes, getting the virus
definitions updated every few days.
One notebook was 32-bit. It was fairly simple. Installed Win7 SP1. Then
install servicing stack update then the convenience rollup to get all
the patches. But had to install Firefox as IE8 would not work anymore
on lots of sites.
But the 64-bit version, when I tried to install the servicing stack
update, complains some shite about certificate chain root is not
trusted. Search some forums, try some patch for SHA-2. Try again to
install SSU, this time get the green bar going all the way across, and
it declares it was not installed (but no error message). Try a few more
SSU; it was updated on various dates. All the same.
So last resort, update windows update itself. Check for updates,
wait all evening to download and install the fuckers.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<20220419122157.7b41340f.mo01@posteo.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2599&group=aus.computers#2599

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:21:57 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:21 UTC

Am Dienstag, 19. April 2022, um 17:14:53 Uhr schrieb Ozix:

> I had 2 old notebooks with Vista, decided to upgrade to Win7 rather
> than chuck them out on verge collection.
> I have a desktop with Win7, and it still goes, getting the virus
> definitions updated every few days.
> One notebook was 32-bit. It was fairly simple. Installed Win7 SP1.
> Then install servicing stack update then the convenience rollup to
> get all the patches. But had to install Firefox as IE8 would not work
> anymore on lots of sites.
> But the 64-bit version, when I tried to install the servicing stack
> update, complains some shite about certificate chain root is not
> trusted. Search some forums, try some patch for SHA-2. Try again to
> install SSU, this time get the green bar going all the way across,
> and it declares it was not installed (but no error message). Try a
> few more SSU; it was updated on various dates. All the same.
> So last resort, update windows update itself. Check for updates,
> wait all evening to download and install the fuckers.

Why do you still use Windows 7? They should be able to run 8 or 10.
Updating s fresh installed System was already PITA with Vista and 7 in
2016. I still remember that it took hours to find the updates.

I also wonder that the update process itself still works. I expected
that MS will block that for non-ESU-users.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<jc7sujF7scuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2600&group=aus.computers#2600

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:49:31 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:49 UTC

On 19/04/2022 7:14 pm, Ozix wrote:
> I had 2 old notebooks with Vista, decided to upgrade to Win7 rather
> than chuck them out on verge collection.
> I have a desktop with Win7, and it still goes, getting the virus
> definitions updated every few days.
> One notebook was 32-bit. It was fairly simple. Installed Win7 SP1.
> Then install servicing stack update then the convenience rollup to get
> all the patches. But had to install Firefox as IE8 would not work anymore
> on lots of sites.
> But the 64-bit version, when I tried to install the servicing stack
> update, complains some shite about certificate chain root is not
> trusted. Search some forums, try some patch for SHA-2. Try again to
> install SSU, this time get the green bar going all the way across, and
> it declares it was not installed (but no error message). Try a few
> more SSU; it was updated on various dates. All the same.
> So last resort, update windows update itself. Check for updates,
> wait all evening to download and install the fuckers.

erase the HD's and install win10

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<625f3f7a@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2601&group=aus.computers#2601

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 20 Apr 2022 09:02:19 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:02 UTC

Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 19/04/2022 7:14 pm, Ozix wrote:
>> I had 2 old notebooks with Vista, decided to upgrade to Win7 rather
>> than chuck them out on verge collection.
>> I have a desktop with Win7, and it still goes, getting the virus
>> definitions updated every few days.
>> One notebook was 32-bit. It was fairly simple. Installed Win7 SP1.
>> Then install servicing stack update then the convenience rollup to get
>> all the patches. But had to install Firefox as IE8 would not work anymore
>> on lots of sites.
>> But the 64-bit version, when I tried to install the servicing stack
>> update, complains some shite about certificate chain root is not
>> trusted. Search some forums, try some patch for SHA-2. Try again to
>> install SSU, this time get the green bar going all the way across, and
>> it declares it was not installed (but no error message). Try a few
>> more SSU; it was updated on various dates. All the same.
>> So last resort, update windows update itself. Check for updates,
>> wait all evening to download and install the fuckers.
>

> erase the HD's and install win10

Replace a bad dream with a nightmare? Though it's true that wanting
Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction. If the
virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
one that's still getting definition updates).

I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro, no bloated GNOME etc.
stuff) and they'd perform better than ever.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<op.1kwb3tbubyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2602&group=aus.computers#2602

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:41:43 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:41 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote
>> Ozix wrote

>>> I had 2 old notebooks with Vista, decided to upgrade to Win7 rather
>>> than chuck them out on verge collection.
>>> I have a desktop with Win7, and it still goes, getting the virus
>>> definitions updated every few days.
>>> One notebook was 32-bit. It was fairly simple. Installed Win7 SP1.
>>> Then install servicing stack update then the convenience rollup to get
>>> all the patches. But had to install Firefox as IE8 would not work
>>> anymore
>>> on lots of sites.
>>> But the 64-bit version, when I tried to install the servicing stack
>>> update, complains some shite about certificate chain root is not
>>> trusted. Search some forums, try some patch for SHA-2. Try again to
>>> install SSU, this time get the green bar going all the way across, and
>>> it declares it was not installed (but no error message). Try a few
>>> more SSU; it was updated on various dates. All the same.
>>> So last resort, update windows update itself. Check for updates,
>>> wait all evening to download and install the fuckers.

>> erase the HD's and install win10

> Replace a bad dream with a nightmare?

Neither is accurate.

> Though it's true that wanting
> Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction.

> If the
> virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
> switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
> one that's still getting definition updates).

Makes more sense to use Defender.

> I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro,

Fuck that, won't run Office.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<7g5v5h1g89tcr90sh73km3gqu4v57jfn9t@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2603&group=aus.computers#2603

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:18:55 +1000
 by: Petzl - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 05:18 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:41:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote
>>> Ozix wrote

>>> erase the HD's and install win10
>
>> Replace a bad dream with a nightmare?
>
>Neither is accurate.

It took a long time but WIN10 seem reasonably stable now

>> Though it's true that wanting
>> Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction.
>
>> If the
>> virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
>> switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
>> one that's still getting definition updates).
>
>Makes more sense to use Defender.

Yes it is very good. But not to hot on finding malware.
I use SpyHunter for me the free version which detects but not removes
is enough. One detected I manually remove it.

>> I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro,
>
>Fuck that, won't run Office.

Dropped office when Microsoft falsely claimed my $1000 plus "office"
was pirated and disabled it.
Just use Google office now.
--
Petzl
Stalin has decreed that murder is a capitalist disease; there is no

"Our" government and media decree that this "secular multiculturalism
paradise" does not have immigrant crime and remove anyone stating
different!.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<t3oabl$1vt3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2604&group=aus.computers#2604

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:48:21 +1000
 by: Max - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:48 UTC

On 20/04/2022 3:18 pm, Petzl wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:41:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote

>>> Replace a bad dream with a nightmare?
>>
>> Neither is accurate.
>>
> It took a long time but WIN10 seem reasonably stable now
>>
>>> Though it's true that wanting
>>> Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction.
>>
>>> If the
>>> virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
>>> switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
>>> one that's still getting definition updates).
>>
>> Makes more sense to use Defender.
>>
> Yes it is very good. But not to hot on finding malware.
> I use SpyHunter for me the free version which detects but not removes
> is enough. One detected I manually remove it.
>>
>>> I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro,
>>
>> Fuck that, won't run Office.
>>
> Dropped office when Microsoft falsely claimed my $1000 plus "office"
> was pirated and disabled it.
> Just use Google office now.

Can you save as DOCX from Google Docs ?

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<f6kv5hp1daeod4eo1oadhhf22lnua873fq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2605&group=aus.computers#2605

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:27:19 +1000
 by: Petzl - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:27 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:48:21 +1000, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:

>On 20/04/2022 3:18 pm, Petzl wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:41:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> Neither is accurate.
>>>
>> It took a long time but WIN10 seem reasonably stable now

>>> Makes more sense to use Defender.
>>>
>> Yes it is very good. But not to hot on finding malware.
>> I use SpyHunter for me the free version which detects but not removes
>> is enough. One detected I manually remove it.

>>> Fuck that, won't run Office.
>>>
>> Dropped office when Microsoft falsely claimed my $1000 plus "office"
>> was pirated and disabled it.
>> Just use Google office now.
>
>Can you save as DOCX from Google Docs ?

A old employer lets me use their Department Google DOC's and can do
what I want. But rarely use it'
Text is adequate for me with pic links supplied by
https://imgbb.com
--
Petzl
Make Australia Great Again

Mark Latham has seen the light
Voting Coalition, Labor or "Greens" because you hate One Nation is like eating shit because you hate spinach

ALWAYS Vote oligarchies Coalition, Labor, "Greens"
*LAST*, Federal State and Council!

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<op.1kxmsgcubyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2606&group=aus.computers#2606

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 02:30:06 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:30 UTC

Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote

>>> Replace a bad dream with a nightmare?
>>
>> Neither is accurate.
>>
> It took a long time but WIN10 seem reasonably stable now
>>
>>> Though it's true that wanting
>>> Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction.
>>
>>> If the
>>> virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
>>> switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
>>> one that's still getting definition updates).
>>
>> Makes more sense to use Defender.
>>
> Yes it is very good. But not to hot on finding malware.
> I use SpyHunter for me the free version which detects but not removes
> is enough. One detected I manually remove it.
>>
>>> I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro,
>>
>> Fuck that, won't run Office.

> Dropped office when Microsoft falsely claimed my $1000 plus "office"
> was pirated and disabled it.

Never happened with my pirated Office 2003

> Just use Google office now.

Wouldn't work for me. I need some stuff with no internet
and google office doesnt have anything like access.

I do use libre office for a couple of things like my
note taker for FreeCell Pro, because it does a very
bare spreadsheet with no menus, no scroll bars
and switchable menus much better than excel does.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<t3q2fc$dob$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2607&group=aus.computers#2607

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:46:01 +1000
 by: Max - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:46 UTC

On 21/04/2022 2:30 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote

>>> Neither is accurate.
>>>
>> It took a long time but WIN10 seem reasonably stable now

>>> Makes more sense to use Defender.
>>>
>> Yes it is very good. But not to hot on finding malware.
>> I use SpyHunter for me the free version which detects but not removes
>> is enough. One detected I manually remove it.

>>> Fuck that, won't run Office.
>
>> Dropped office when Microsoft falsely claimed my $1000 plus "office"
>> was pirated and disabled it.
>
> Never happened with my pirated Office 2003
>
>> Just use Google office now.
>
> Wouldn't work for me. I need some stuff with no internet
> and google office doesnt have anything like access.

Most people have internet wherever they go, so Google are relying on that.

It's wierd that you wouldn't have internet access, unless you taking a
laptop outside or to a shed.

> I do use libre office for a couple of things like my
> note taker for FreeCell Pro, because it does a very
> bare spreadsheet with no menus, no scroll bars
> and switchable menus much better than excel does.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<t3qg0i$chs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2608&group=aus.computers#2608

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:37:05 +1000
 by: Max - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 02:37 UTC

On 20/04/2022 9:02 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 19/04/2022 7:14 pm, Ozix wrote:
>>> I had 2 old notebooks with Vista, decided to upgrade to Win7 rather
>>> than chuck them out on verge collection.
>>> I have a desktop with Win7, and it still goes, getting the virus
>>> definitions updated every few days.
>>> One notebook was 32-bit. It was fairly simple. Installed Win7 SP1.
>>> Then install servicing stack update then the convenience rollup to get
>>> all the patches. But had to install Firefox as IE8 would not work anymore
>>> on lots of sites.
>>> But the 64-bit version, when I tried to install the servicing stack
>>> update, complains some shite about certificate chain root is not
>>> trusted. Search some forums, try some patch for SHA-2. Try again to
>>> install SSU, this time get the green bar going all the way across, and
>>> it declares it was not installed (but no error message). Try a few
>>> more SSU; it was updated on various dates. All the same.
>>> So last resort, update windows update itself. Check for updates,
>>> wait all evening to download and install the fuckers.
>>

>> erase the HD's and install win10
>
> Replace a bad dream with a nightmare? Though it's true that wanting
> Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction. If the
> virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
> switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
> one that's still getting definition updates).
>
> I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro, no bloated GNOME etc.
> stuff) and they'd perform better than ever.

Rather than Linux, it's better to use an OS that has more users, because
then all the problems are ironed out.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<op.1kyphlhsbyq249@pvr2>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2609&group=aus.computers#2609

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:25:59 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:25 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> It took a long time but WIN10 seem reasonably stable now

>>> Yes it is very good. But not to hot on finding malware.
>>> I use SpyHunter for me the free version which detects but not removes
>>> is enough. One detected I manually remove it.

>>> Dropped office when Microsoft falsely claimed my $1000 plus "office"
>>> was pirated and disabled it.
>> Never happened with my pirated Office 2003
>>
>>> Just use Google office now.
>> Wouldn't work for me. I need some stuff with no internet
>> and google office doesnt have anything like access.

> Most people have internet wherever they go,

That's not accurate with full time internet access.

> so Google are relying on that.

Still no use to me.

> It's wierd that you wouldn't have internet access,

I normally do, but not guaranteed all the time.

> unless you taking a laptop outside or to a shed.

Or the phone. That is one big advantage with Office,
you can have some stuff that was prepared with Office
on the phone and access it even when the phone has
no net access.

>> I do use libre office for a couple of things like my
>> note taker for FreeCell Pro, because it does a very
>> bare spreadsheet with no menus, no scroll bars
>> and switchable menus much better than excel does.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<op.1kypjkjybyq249@pvr2>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2610&group=aus.computers#2610

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:27:10 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:27 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:37:05 +1000, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:

> On 20/04/2022 9:02 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> erase the HD's and install win10
>> Replace a bad dream with a nightmare? Though it's true that wanting
>> Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction. If the
>> virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
>> switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
>> one that's still getting definition updates).
>> I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro, no bloated GNOME etc.
>> stuff) and they'd perform better than ever.
>>

> Rather than Linux, it's better to use an OS that has more users, because
> then all the problems are ironed out.

Its a nice theory, but isnt reality with any OS that is current.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<jccvrsF7cp1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2611&group=aus.computers#2611

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:09:35 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:09 UTC

On 20/04/2022 3:18 pm, Petzl wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:41:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote
>>> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote
>>> Replace a bad dream with a nightmare?
>> Neither is accurate.
>>
> It took a long time but WIN10 seem reasonably stable now

nothing wrong with win10 other than supports ends in 2025

>>> Though it's true that wanting
>>> Windows 7 _and_ current updates is a plain contradiction.
>>> If the
>>> virus scanner definition updates are the main thing, then just
>>> switch to a 3rd party virus scanner (maybe an old version of a free
>>> one that's still getting definition updates).
>> Makes more sense to use Defender.
>>
> Yes it is very good. But not to hot on finding malware.
> I use SpyHunter for me the free version which detects but not removes
> is enough. One detected I manually remove it.

i use iobit.com

>>> I'd put Linux on them (a lightweight distro,
>> Fuck that, won't run Office.
>>
> Dropped office when Microsoft falsely claimed my $1000 plus "office"
> was pirated and disabled it.
> Just use Google office now.

I use Open Office

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<6275d71c$1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2624&group=aus.computers#2624

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozix12...@yahoo.com (Ozix)
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 10:19:08 +0800
 by: Ozix - Sat, 7 May 2022 02:19 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> I also wonder that the update process itself still works. I expected
> that MS will block that for non-ESU-users.

I just got 7 updates today (must be more than the virus definitions).
I presume there are still too many Win7 machines out there, and
Microsoft don't want them to become a botnet.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<20220507113522.65c74330@ryz>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2625&group=aus.computers#2625

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 11:35:22 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 7 May 2022 09:35 UTC

Am Samstag, 07. Mai 2022, um 10:19:08 Uhr schrieb Ozix:

> I just got 7 updates today (must be more than the virus definitions).
> I presume there are still too many Win7 machines out there, and
> Microsoft don't want them to become a botnet.

You can check the update history to find out for which product these
are.
Windows Update also support other MS applications like Office. Maybe
you installed updates for that.
MS stopped providing updates for Windows 7 in Jan 2020. You can still
get some when enabling ESU.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<t57nbl$19bv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2628&group=aus.computers#2628

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 16:18:29 +1000
 by: Max - Sun, 8 May 2022 06:18 UTC

On 7/05/2022 7:35 pm, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Samstag, 07. Mai 2022, um 10:19:08 Uhr schrieb Ozix:
>
>> I just got 7 updates today (must be more than the virus definitions).
>> I presume there are still too many Win7 machines out there, and
>> Microsoft don't want them to become a botnet.
>
> You can check the update history to find out for which product these
> are.
> Windows Update also support other MS applications like Office. Maybe
> you installed updates for that.
> MS stopped providing updates for Windows 7 in Jan 2020. You can still
> get some when enabling ESU.

How much does it cost to get ESU?

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<20220508091608.38b122ba@ryz>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2629&group=aus.computers#2629

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 09:16:08 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 8 May 2022 07:16 UTC

Am Sonntag, 08. Mai 2022, um 16:18:29 Uhr schrieb Max:

> On 7/05/2022 7:35 pm, Marco Moock wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 07. Mai 2022, um 10:19:08 Uhr schrieb Ozix:
> >
> >> I just got 7 updates today (must be more than the virus
> >> definitions). I presume there are still too many Win7 machines out
> >> there, and Microsoft don't want them to become a botnet.
> >
> > You can check the update history to find out for which product these
> > are.
> > Windows Update also support other MS applications like Office. Maybe
> > you installed updates for that.
> > MS stopped providing updates for Windows 7 in Jan 2020. You can
> > still get some when enabling ESU.
> >

> How much does it cost to get ESU?

I did not find an official price list on microsoft.com, but I found
this:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-will-staying-patched-on-windows-7-cost-you-heres-the-price-list/
100$ for Enterprise, 200$ for Professional. For that price you can
easily buy a Windows 10 license if you really need Windows.

Additionally, the support will definitely end on Jan 2023.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<tu4f7ht7gpmtn7b163lfqvuf82c4787s84@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2630&group=aus.computers#2630

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 19:57:42 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sun, 8 May 2022 09:57 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 09:16:08 +0200, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 08. Mai 2022, um 16:18:29 Uhr schrieb Max:

>> > You can check the update history to find out for which product these
>> > are.
>> > Windows Update also support other MS applications like Office. Maybe
>> > you installed updates for that.
>> > MS stopped providing updates for Windows 7 in Jan 2020. You can
>> > still get some when enabling ESU.
>> >

>> How much does it cost to get ESU?
>
>I did not find an official price list on microsoft.com, but I found
>this:
>
>https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-will-staying-patched-on-windows-7-cost-you-heres-the-price-list/
>100$ for Enterprise, 200$ for Professional. For that price you can
>easily buy a Windows 10 license if you really need Windows.
>
>Additionally, the support will definitely end on Jan 2023.

If widows defender updates stop just use the free vesion of AVG
--
Petzl
What is the harm of for the Democrats validating the voting system.

Amazing to think that Lyndon Johnson perfected the
'sit-wait-see how many we need to win-then dump our
stuffed ballots at the last moment' electoral technique
in post-war Texas, and nothing has changed in US elections
in the 7 decades since.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_United_States_Senate_election_in_Texas#Legal_battle>
The Left is fine with Vaccine Cards
but NOT voter IDs. Paying attention yet?

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<20220508122756.256a86fb@ryz>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2631&group=aus.computers#2631

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 12:27:56 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 8 May 2022 10:27 UTC

Am Sonntag, 08. Mai 2022, um 19:57:42 Uhr schrieb Petzl:

> If widows defender updates stop just use the free vesion of AVG

The Windows Defender on Windows 7 was only a scanner for spyware, like
on Vista. MS Security Essentials has also no more support on Windows 7
after Jan 2023. Win 7 is an OS for running inside the museum.

I also don't recommend AVG, they provided browser addons that were PUP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_Technologies#Controversy

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<aojg7ht4fuloods24bd5mcci35chaeh3dl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2632&group=aus.computers#2632

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 09:16:27 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sun, 8 May 2022 23:16 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 12:27:56 +0200, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 08. Mai 2022, um 19:57:42 Uhr schrieb Petzl:
>
>> If widows defender updates stop just use the free vesion of AVG
>
>The Windows Defender on Windows 7 was only a scanner for spyware, like
>on Vista. MS Security Essentials has also no more support on Windows 7
>after Jan 2023. Win 7 is an OS for running inside the museum.
>
>I also don't recommend AVG, they provided browser addons that were PUP.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_Technologies#Controversy

Widows defenfer used to be rubbish now it's pretty good, but that can
change.
--
Petzl
ALWAYS Vote oligarchies Coalition, Labor, "Greens"
*LAST*, Federal State and Council!

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<t59mj5$88v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2633&group=aus.computers#2633

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 10:17:40 +1000
 by: Max - Mon, 9 May 2022 00:17 UTC

On 8/05/2022 7:57 pm, Petzl wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 09:16:08 +0200, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

>>> How much does it cost to get ESU?
>>
>> I did not find an official price list on microsoft.com, but I found
>> this:
>>
>> https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-will-staying-patched-on-windows-7-cost-you-heres-the-price-list/
>> 100$ for Enterprise, 200$ for Professional. For that price you can
>> easily buy a Windows 10 license if you really need Windows.
>>
>> Additionally, the support will definitely end on Jan 2023.
>>
> If widows defender updates stop just use the free vesion of AVG

The security updates that MS provides are not just Windows Defender
definition updates.

There are general updates to anti-malware and other system updates that
relate to security.

You should not be using an operating system that is not receiving updates.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<op.1lvllehabyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2634&group=aus.computers#2634

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 10:42:40 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 9 May 2022 00:42 UTC

On Mon, 09 May 2022 10:17:40 +1000, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:

> On 8/05/2022 7:57 pm, Petzl wrote:

>>> I did not find an official price list on microsoft.com, but I found
>>> this:
>>>
>>> https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-will-staying-patched-on-windows-7-cost-you-heres-the-price-list/
>>> 100$ for Enterprise, 200$ for Professional. For that price you can
>>> easily buy a Windows 10 license if you really need Windows.
>>>
>>> Additionally, the support will definitely end on Jan 2023.
>>>
>> If widows defender updates stop just use the free vesion of AVG
>
> The security updates that MS provides are not just Windows Defender
> definition updates.
>
> There are general updates to anti-malware and other system updates that
> relate to security.
>
> You should not be using an operating system that is not receiving
> updates.

Depends on what you do.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<20220509081559.0d222319@ryz>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2635&group=aus.computers#2635

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:15:59 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 9 May 2022 06:15 UTC

Am Montag, 09. Mai 2022, um 10:42:40 Uhr schrieb Rod Speed:

> On Mon, 09 May 2022 10:17:40 +1000, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:
>
> > On 8/05/2022 7:57 pm, Petzl wrote:

> >> If widows defender updates stop just use the free vesion of AVG
> >
> > The security updates that MS provides are not just Windows Defender
> > definition updates.
> >
> > There are general updates to anti-malware and other system updates
> > that relate to security.
> >
> > You should not be using an operating system that is not receiving
> > updates.
>
> Depends on what you do.

If the system is connected to a network, it is a bad idea to use
outdated software, especially an operating system.

Re: Win7 is turning into a PITA now

<e3kh7h5vplocp8v5cmejla0anctp760ndn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2636&group=aus.computers#2636

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 18:31:29 +1000
 by: Petzl - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:31 UTC

On Mon, 9 May 2022 08:15:59 +0200, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

>Am Montag, 09. Mai 2022, um 10:42:40 Uhr schrieb Rod Speed:

>> > The security updates that MS provides are not just Windows Defender
>> > definition updates.
>> >
>> > There are general updates to anti-malware and other system updates
>> > that relate to security.
>> >
>> > You should not be using an operating system that is not receiving
>> > updates.
>>
>> Depends on what you do.
>
>If the system is connected to a network, it is a bad idea to use
>outdated software, especially an operating system.

WIN10 is crap for a network for a long long time wouldn't work at all.
Even now if there is a WiFi hiccup takes ages to reconnect, mine is
just for in home entertainment.
--
Petzl
Gough Whitlam when Joe Riordan lost the seat of Philip in Sydney’s

I had an uncle that lived in Wellington. He voted Liberal all his
life until he passed away 10 years ago. Now he votes Labor.