From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Quack x 4
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 15:31:24 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 14:31 UTC

Middx's first four batters were all out for 0 today. That doesn't seem
like one of the commonest events in f-c cricket.

CHeers,

Mike

Re: Quack x 4

<q+iLSOEynGMkFwNz@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26279&group=uk.sport.cricket#26279

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Quack x 4
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 20:07:30 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 19:07 UTC

In message <p6a03i1nefqfgo1vdt21uv8ujeu6c77g5a@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>Middx's first four batters were all out for 0 today. That doesn't seem
>like one of the commonest events in f-c cricket.

I thought that India's second innings in the first Test at Headingley in
1952 was another instance, but although they were 0-4 it turns out the
wickets were numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the order, with the number 4 -
Umrigar - making a magnificent 9. Trueman, in his first Test, took three
of those first four wickets, and 4-27 in all. In the circumstances,
India did pretty well to reach 165, almost entirely thanks to a century
stand by Hazare and Phadkar.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Quack x 4

<d318f68f-27c3-4769-aabc-d87f6c895158n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26280&group=uk.sport.cricket#26280

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 12:31:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: anamiim...@gmail.com (Anami Imana)
 by: Anami Imana - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 19:31 UTC

On Saturday, April 8, 2023 at 12:43:01 AM UTC+5:30, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p6a03i1nefqfgo1vd...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> <sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
> >Middx's first four batters were all out for 0 today. That doesn't seem
> >like one of the commonest events in f-c cricket.
> I thought that India's second innings in the first Test at Headingley in
> 1952 was another instance, but although they were 0-4 it turns out the
> wickets were numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the order, with the number 4 -
> Umrigar - making a magnificent 9. Trueman, in his first Test, took three
> of those first four wickets, and 4-27 in all. In the circumstances,
> India did pretty well to reach 165, almost entirely thanks to a century
> stand by Hazare and Phadkar.
> --
> John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
> like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
> its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
> Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-domestic-miscellaneous-first-class-1872-545733/marylebone-cricket-club-vs-surrey-545734/full-scorecard

This is considered the record - top 6 (and the no. 8 and 9 batsmen) scoring zeros.

Re: Quack x 4

<uvnaGfFn3HMkFwc4@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26283&group=uk.sport.cricket#26283

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 21:32:39 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 20:32 UTC

In message <d318f68f-27c3-4769-aabc-d87f6c895158n@googlegroups.com>,
Anami Imana <anamiimana@gmail.com> writes
>On Saturday, April 8, 2023 at 12:43:010 >> In message <p6a03i1nefqfgo1vd...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>> <sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
>> >Middx's first four batters were all out for 0 today. That doesn't seem
>> >like one of the commonest events in f-c cricket.
>> I thought that India's second innings in the first Test at Headingley in
>> 1952 was another instance, but although they were 0-4 it turns out the
>> wickets were numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the order, with the number 4 -
>> Umrigar - making a magnificent 9. Trueman, in his first Test, took three
>> of those first four wickets, and 4-27 in all. In the circumstances,
>> India did pretty well to reach 165, almost entirely thanks to a century
>> stand by Hazare and Phadkar.
>> --
>> John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
>> like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
>> its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
>> Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"
>
>https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-domestic-miscellaneous-first
>-class-1872-545733/marylebone-cricket-club-vs-surrey-545734/full-scoreca
>rd
>
>This is considered the record - top 6 (and the no. 8 and 9 batsmen)
>scoring zeros.

Thanks. As a Surrey supporter with an interest in the history of the
game, I'm surprised that I'd never heard about that game.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Quack x 4

<k9bhi6Fg91rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26286&group=uk.sport.cricket#26286

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 22:51:02 +0100
 by: David North - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 21:51 UTC

On 07/04/2023 20:07, John Hall wrote:
> In message <p6a03i1nefqfgo1vdt21uv8ujeu6c77g5a@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> <spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>> Middx's first four batters were all out for 0 today. That doesn't seem
>> like one of the commonest events in f-c cricket.
>
> I thought that India's second innings in the first Test at Headingley in
> 1952 was another instance, but although they were 0-4 it turns out the
> wickets were numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the order, with the number 4 -
> Umrigar - making a magnificent 9. Trueman, in his first Test, took three
> of those first four wickets, and 4-27 in all. In the circumstances,
> India did pretty well to reach 165, almost entirely thanks to a century
> stand by Hazare and Phadkar.

There is one instance of the top 4 making ducks in a Test, in
Australia's 2nd innings on a sticky pitch at Old Trafford in 1888.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-england-1888-61333/england-vs-australia-3rd-test-62425/full-scorecard

--
David North

Re: Quack x 4

<3270467b-3125-488a-adca-7e5d8b30395bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26288&group=uk.sport.cricket#26288

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 15:16:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 22:16 UTC

On Friday, April 7, 2023 at 3:31:27 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> Middx's first four batters were all out for 0 today. That doesn't seem
> like one of the commonest events in f-c cricket.
>
> CHeers,
>
> Mike

Mddx were 4 for 4 at one point... RH

Re: Quack x 4

<9rce3lAK6SMkFwvc@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26289&group=uk.sport.cricket#26289

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 10:06:18 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 09:06 UTC

In message <k9bhi6Fg91rU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On 07/04/2023 20:07, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <p6a03i1nefqfgo1vdt21uv8ujeu6c77g5a@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>> Middx's first four batters were all out for 0 today. That doesn't seem
>>> like one of the commonest events in f-c cricket.
>> I thought that India's second innings in the first Test at
>>Headingley in 1952 was another instance, but although they were 0-4
>>it turns out the wickets were numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the order,
>>with the number 4 - Umrigar - making a magnificent 9. Trueman, in his
>>first Test, took three of those first four wickets, and 4-27 in all.
>>In the circumstances, India did pretty well to reach 165, almost
>>entirely thanks to a century stand by Hazare and Phadkar.
>
>There is one instance of the top 4 making ducks in a Test, in
>Australia's 2nd innings on a sticky pitch at Old Trafford in 1888.
>
>https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/australia-tour-of-england-1888-61333
>/england-vs-australia-3rd-test-62425/full-scorecard

Thanks. The footnotes are interesting:

"Australia were unable to to avoid following-on, the compulsory margin
in 1888 being 80 runs.
"The match ended at 1.52pm (before lunch on the second day), after
Australia had been bowled out in 69 minutes.
"Heavy rain before the match produced a soft, wet pitch and gave the
side batting first an enormous advantage. A hot, drying sun on the
second day made the pitch a vicious "sticky"; 18 wickets fell before
lunch."