Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Computer snobbery

SubjectAuthor
* Computer snobberyBrian Gaff
+* Computer snobberyJeff Gaines
|`* Computer snobberyBrian Gaff
| `* Computer snobberyJohn Williamson
|  `* Computer snobberyJeff Gaines
|   +* Computer snobberyKerr-Mudd, John
|   |+* Computer snobberyJeff Gaines
|   ||`* Computer snobberyRustyHinge
|   || `- Computer snobberySn!pe
|   |`- Computer snobberyRustyHinge
|   `- Computer snobberyChris Elvidge
+* Computer snobberyRustyHinge
|+* Computer snobberymaus
||+- Computer snobberyRustyHinge
||+* Computer snobberyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|||+* Computer snobberyRustyHinge
|||`- Computer snobberymaus
||`- Computer snobberyBrian Gaff
|`* Computer snobberyBrian Gaff
| `- Computer snobberymaus
+* Computer snobberyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+* Computer snobberyPeter
||`* Computer snobberyRichard Robinson
|| `- Computer snobberyRustyHinge
|`* Computer snobberyRJH
| `- Computer snobberyAhem A Rivet's Shot
+- Computer snobberyhubops
+* Computer snobberySam Plusnet
|`* Computer snobberyRichard Robinson
| `- Computer snobberymaus
`- Computer snobberyBrian

Pages:12
Computer snobbery

<ugrfau$d93r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26318&group=uk.rec.sheds#26318

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Computer snobbery
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:43:38 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:43 UTC

I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an old
operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you mention
it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner is
of no interest to them at all.
In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you only
have to look around the various forums to see that it is new software or
operating systems and their over the top extra security that caused people
to pull their hair out. The rest of us using I phone 10r or Windows 7, just
sail along with software that may be old but has had all the bugs removed as
they were the final version.
The one time we get bitten is on line to email with all of this faffing
about with 2 factor authentication and this web site does not support you
browser messages. Both of these could be easily fixed by the site in
question, and as long as you agreed not to use two factor, you could just
carry on using your old email client as well.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but until, or if the products
are made easy to use and bug free, updating is often making a rod for your
own back. Of course in my case, if Dropbox stops working on Windows 7, then
I will have to upgrade, but no sign of it as yet.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Computer snobbery

<xn0o89z9vdabyr300n@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26320&group=uk.rec.sheds#26320

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Computer snobbery
Date: 19 Oct 2023 15:22:38 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:22 UTC

I agree entirely. I have an HP Z620 which would have cost £15K to £20K new
but around £500 from Bargain Hardware. Dual Xeons, 64 GB RAM and Windows
10. I'm safe from Windows 11 as it doesn't meet the specs.

Only thing to watch is lack of security updates with older OS versions but
third party virus checkers help.

When Win 10 dies I will be very tempted to go back to Win 8.1 with Open
Shell as it is very usable and I can find my way round it.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugrhvd$dtol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26321&group=uk.rec.sheds#26321

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:28:39 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:28 UTC

On 19/10/2023 15:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an old
> operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you mention
> it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner is
> of no interest to them at all.
> In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you only
> have to look around the various forums to see that it is new software or
> operating systems and their over the top extra security that caused people
> to pull their hair out. The rest of us using I phone 10r or Windows 7, just
> sail along with software that may be old but has had all the bugs removed as
> they were the final version.
> The one time we get bitten is on line to email with all of this faffing
> about with 2 factor authentication and this web site does not support you
> browser messages. Both of these could be easily fixed by the site in
> question, and as long as you agreed not to use two factor, you could just
> carry on using your old email client as well.
> Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but until, or if the products
> are made easy to use and bug free, updating is often making a rod for your
> own back. Of course in my case, if Dropbox stops working on Windows 7, then
> I will have to upgrade, but no sign of it as yet.

I can't trype faster than this old box puts the letters up. While I
could get a box that's fasterer, why? I could also get loadsa memmory,
but unless one is mining cash-in-the-air or downloading *HYOOOOGE*
files, why?

I got on fine with an old Abstrad Worm Porcessor for ages. If I
re-elasticbanded the 3" drive to boot it up, (has a 3.5" one as well,
but not bootworthy for some reason) I could even get on the intertubes.
(Providing I could molish it to do something quickerer than dial-up)

That'd foil the spammers/scammers - I don't goove many offem *do* CP/M

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Computer snobbery

<20231019163745.d2b6596dac855d3e0e3ecd6f@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26323&group=uk.rec.sheds#26323

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:37:45 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:37 UTC

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:43:38 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you

Nope, just that newer is supported and thus gets patches for
security holes - some of which will be present in the older OS (or hardware
for things like spectre and rowhammer).

Old hardware and up to date software is a good approach - but
Windows doesn't play too well with that.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Computer snobbery

<XnsB0A2B0016EB94Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26324&group=uk.rec.sheds#26324

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:18:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:18 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:43:38 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when
>> you
>
> Nope, just that newer is supported and thus gets patches for
> security holes - some of which will be present in the older OS (or
> hardware for things like spectre and rowhammer).
>
> Old hardware and up to date software is a good approach - but
> Windows doesn't play too well with that.

I like up-to-date stuff, whether chips and disks or code. But that's just
me, I know plenty of folk who can't be doing with new-fangled gizmos and
eschew them, which I reckon is a perfectly reasonable whatsit. But then,
I'm an old fart.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Computer snobbery

<ggn2jidmrrol0qgen25qkcdmfp5hjs94ck@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26329&group=uk.rec.sheds#26329

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 12:56:36 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 16:56 UTC

<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an old
>operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you mention
>it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner is
>of no interest to them at all.
>In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you only
>have to look around the various forums to see that it is new software or
>operating systems and their over the top extra security that caused people
>to pull their hair out. The rest of us using I phone 10r or Windows 7, just
>sail along with software that may be old but has had all the bugs removed as
>they were the final version.
> The one time we get bitten is on line to email with all of this faffing
>about with 2 factor authentication and this web site does not support you
>browser messages. Both of these could be easily fixed by the site in
>question, and as long as you agreed not to use two factor, you could just
>carry on using your old email client as well.
> Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but until, or if the products
>are made easy to use and bug free, updating is often making a rod for your
>own back. Of course in my case, if Dropbox stops working on Windows 7, then
>I will have to upgrade, but no sign of it as yet.
> Brian

You're preaching to the choir, in my case.
I stretched Win 98 SE and then XP Pro for many years
beyond their best-before dates.
Presently on a Vista era laptop that's running Win 8.1 Pro
being replaced due to a noisy fan < otherwise working fine >
... awaiting today's delivery of a refurb Win 10 Pro T560
< $ 269. Canadian >
John T.

Re: Computer snobbery

<nlfYM.58515$a3p4.13218@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26334&group=uk.rec.sheds#26334

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:21:55 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 19:21 UTC

On 19-Oct-23 15:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an old
> operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you mention
> it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner is
> of no interest to them at all.
<snip>

There were always kids at school who would pick on anyone who stood out
in some way. It might be a bad haircut, funny glasses, being short, or
tall etc. etc. etc.

Those kids get older, but plenty of them never grow up so they carry on,
picking on anyone who dares to be different.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Computer snobbery

<slrnuj36vm.16pk.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26337&group=uk.rec.sheds#26337

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 19 Oct 2023 21:13:26 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:13 UTC

On 2023-10-19, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19/10/2023 15:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an old
>> operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you mention
>> it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner is
>> of no interest to them at all.
>> In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you only
>> have to look around the various forums to see that it is new software or
>> operating systems and their over the top extra security that caused people
>> to pull their hair out. The rest of us using I phone 10r or Windows 7, just
>> sail along with software that may be old but has had all the bugs removed as
>> they were the final version.
>> The one time we get bitten is on line to email with all of this faffing
>> about with 2 factor authentication and this web site does not support you
>> browser messages. Both of these could be easily fixed by the site in
>> question, and as long as you agreed not to use two factor, you could just
>> carry on using your old email client as well.
>> Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but until, or if the products
>> are made easy to use and bug free, updating is often making a rod for your
>> own back. Of course in my case, if Dropbox stops working on Windows 7, then
>> I will have to upgrade, but no sign of it as yet.
>
> I can't trype faster than this old box puts the letters up. While I
> could get a box that's fasterer, why? I could also get loadsa memmory,
> but unless one is mining cash-in-the-air or downloading *HYOOOOGE*
> files, why?
>
> I got on fine with an old Abstrad Worm Porcessor for ages. If I
> re-elasticbanded the 3" drive to boot it up, (has a 3.5" one as well,
> but not bootworthy for some reason) I could even get on the intertubes.
> (Providing I could molish it to do something quickerer than dial-up)
>
> That'd foil the spammers/scammers - I don't goove many offem *do* CP/M

I called into a computer repair place in Dublin once and the man had an
old Amstrad in for cleaning. It was a wonderful machine, he said,
everything that a small business wanted. I think its editor was called
Locomation. Sugar was a bit of a character, I remember, started on
cheap musical things and got it right with that computer, except the
very scarce discs. I think that it could not format its own disks.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the Influencers, hung, drawn and Quartered is more than they deserve.

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugs7mg$j0ef$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26339&group=uk.rec.sheds#26339

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:39:26 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:39 UTC

On 19/10/2023 22:13, maus wrote:
> On 2023-10-19, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 19/10/2023 15:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an old
>>> operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you mention
>>> it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner is
>>> of no interest to them at all.
>>> In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you only
>>> have to look around the various forums to see that it is new software or
>>> operating systems and their over the top extra security that caused people
>>> to pull their hair out. The rest of us using I phone 10r or Windows 7, just
>>> sail along with software that may be old but has had all the bugs removed as
>>> they were the final version.
>>> The one time we get bitten is on line to email with all of this faffing
>>> about with 2 factor authentication and this web site does not support you
>>> browser messages. Both of these could be easily fixed by the site in
>>> question, and as long as you agreed not to use two factor, you could just
>>> carry on using your old email client as well.
>>> Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but until, or if the products
>>> are made easy to use and bug free, updating is often making a rod for your
>>> own back. Of course in my case, if Dropbox stops working on Windows 7, then
>>> I will have to upgrade, but no sign of it as yet.
>>
>> I can't trype faster than this old box puts the letters up. While I
>> could get a box that's fasterer, why? I could also get loadsa memmory,
>> but unless one is mining cash-in-the-air or downloading *HYOOOOGE*
>> files, why?
>>
>> I got on fine with an old Abstrad Worm Porcessor for ages. If I
>> re-elasticbanded the 3" drive to boot it up, (has a 3.5" one as well,
>> but not bootworthy for some reason) I could even get on the intertubes.
>> (Providing I could molish it to do something quickerer than dial-up)
>>
>> That'd foil the spammers/scammers - I don't goove many offem *do* CP/M
>>

> I called into a computer repair place in Dublin once and the man had an
> old Amstrad in for cleaning. It was a wonderful machine, he said,
> everything that a small business wanted. I think its editor was called
> Locomation. Sugar was a bit of a character, I remember, started on
> cheap musical things and got it right with that computer, except the
> very scarce discs. I think that it could not format its own disks.

Locoscript, Locoscript II, and for DOS, Locoscript Professional IIRC

The word processor was perfectly able to format the 3" discs, and 3.5
drives have been fitted, but I think those can't (or couldn't then) be
made bootable.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Computer snobbery

<20231020001711.9742ce81e6fbbfb4ad7db3ce@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26343&group=uk.rec.sheds#26343

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 00:17:11 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 23:17 UTC

On 19 Oct 2023 21:13:26 GMT
maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:

> Sugar was a bit of a character

Alan M. Sugar - want to guess what his employees decided the M
stood for ?

Suffice it to say he was not a well liked boss.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugsufj$s3r2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26346&group=uk.rec.sheds#26346

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 05:08:18 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 04:08 UTC

On 20/10/2023 00:17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2023 21:13:26 GMT
> maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:
>
>> Sugar was a bit of a character
>
> Alan M. Sugar - want to guess what his employees decided the M
> stood for ?
>
> Suffice it to say he was not a well liked boss.

Not magnificant or munificent then?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugtdat$v9vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26347&group=uk.rec.sheds#26347

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:21:45 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:21 UTC

Yes, in fact if Microsoft were really clever, they should have had a machine
that you could skin to look like Classic windows, but with all the extras
just additional menu choices, then if you did not want to spend time trying
to figure out how the new interface works, you need not. I think one of the
biggest reasons people hate modern Windows is the Ribbon menu system, which
is very powerful but completely counter intuitive if you actually want to do
something.
Why is it, if it were so good that Firefox uses the original menu format,
an in the main, Edge uses a combination of that and bleedin obvious buttons.

Re inventing the weal so its triangular seems crazy to me.
Brian

--

--:
"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote in message

> I agree entirely. I have an HP Z620 which would have cost �15K to �20K new
> but around �500 from Bargain Hardware. Dual Xeons, 64 GB RAM and Windows
> 10. I'm safe from Windows 11 as it doesn't meet the specs.
>
> Only thing to watch is lack of security updates with older OS versions but
> third party virus checkers help.
>
> When Win 10 dies I will be very tempted to go back to Win 8.1 with Open
> Shell as it is very usable and I can find my way round it.
>
> On 19/10/2023 in message <ugrfau$d93r$1@dont-email.me> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>>I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an
>>old operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you
>>mention it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective
>>manner is of no interest to them at all.
>>In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you
>>only have to look around the various forums to see that it is new software
>>or operating systems and their over the top extra security that caused
>>people to pull their hair out. The rest of us using I phone 10r or Windows
>>7, just sail along with software that may be old but has had all the bugs
>>removed as they were the final version.
>>The one time we get bitten is on line to email with all of this faffing
>>about with 2 factor authentication and this web site does not support you
>>browser messages. Both of these could be easily fixed by the site in
>>question, and as long as you agreed not to use two factor, you could just
>>carry on using your old email client as well.
>>Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but until, or if the
>>products are made easy to use and bug free, updating is often making a rod
>>for your own back. Of course in my case, if Dropbox stops working on
>>Windows 7, then I will have to upgrade, but no sign of it as yet.
>>Brian
>

> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?
> It has a non-binary number on the door.

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugtdjt$vbum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26348&group=uk.rec.sheds#26348

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:26:33 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:26 UTC

Actually a modern SSD is really all you need in a slightly older computer to
make it faster to load and save stuff, and the reliability is as good now as
the mechanical drive.
However my first ssd, went down in a couple of years and was completely
knackered. The new ones seem to be far better, again, that was the price I
paid for going in too early, then bugs were lurking hiding to popup just
after the warranty ran out.
Brian

--

--:
"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 19/10/2023 15:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an
>> old
>> operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you
>> mention
>> it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner
>> is
>> of no interest to them at all.
>> In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when you
>> only
>> have to look around the various forums to see that it is new software or
>> operating systems and their over the top extra security that caused
>> people
>> to pull their hair out. The rest of us using I phone 10r or Windows 7,
>> just
>> sail along with software that may be old but has had all the bugs removed
>> as
>> they were the final version.
>> The one time we get bitten is on line to email with all of this faffing
>> about with 2 factor authentication and this web site does not support
>> you
>> browser messages. Both of these could be easily fixed by the site in
>> question, and as long as you agreed not to use two factor, you could just
>> carry on using your old email client as well.
>> Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but until, or if the
>> products
>> are made easy to use and bug free, updating is often making a rod for
>> your
>> own back. Of course in my case, if Dropbox stops working on Windows 7,
>> then
>> I will have to upgrade, but no sign of it as yet.
>
> I can't trype faster than this old box puts the letters up. While I could
> get a box that's fasterer, why? I could also get loadsa memmory, but
> unless one is mining cash-in-the-air or downloading *HYOOOOGE* files, why?
>
> I got on fine with an old Abstrad Worm Porcessor for ages. If I
> re-elasticbanded the 3" drive to boot it up, (has a 3.5" one as well, but
> not bootworthy for some reason) I could even get on the intertubes.
> (Providing I could molish it to do something quickerer than dial-up)
>
> That'd foil the spammers/scammers - I don't goove many offem *do* CP/M
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: Computer snobbery

<kpes3gFrq5uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26349&group=uk.rec.sheds#26349

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:29:34 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:29 UTC

If you install Classic Shell (Free to install, no adverts) on your New!
Shiny! Windows machine, you can choose to have it work the same way as
Windows XP, 2000 or 7. This applies to both the start menu and Windows
File Explorer.

If you <Shift+Click> on the start button, you get the start menu
installed by your Windows install medium.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugte32$vfna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26350&group=uk.rec.sheds#26350

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:34:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:34 UTC

Z80 chip.
Their pcs however were very robust machines with proper floppies and
mechanical hard drives. Where I worked they had a 1640 wired up to a set of
machine tools and churned out comples shaped items in a very dusty
environment for many years.

Brian

--

--:
"maus" <maus@deb2.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>> re-elasticbanded the 3" drive to boot it up, (has a 3.5" one as well,
>> but not bootworthy for some reason) I could even get on the intertubes.
>> (Providing I could molish it to do something quickerer than dial-up)
>>
>> That'd foil the spammers/scammers - I don't goove many offem *do* CP/M
>>

> I called into a computer repair place in Dublin once and the man had an
> old Amstrad in for cleaning. It was a wonderful machine, he said,
> everything that a small business wanted. I think its editor was called
> Locomation. Sugar was a bit of a character, I remember, started on
> cheap musical things and got it right with that computer, except the
> very scarce discs. I think that it could not format its own disks.
>
> --
> greymausg@mail.com
> Death to the Influencers, hung, drawn and Quartered is more than they

<xn0o8b3548vln000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26351&group=uk.rec.sheds#26351

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Oct 2023 08:37:16 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:37 UTC

In case anybody is struggling to find it Classic Shell has gone open
source and been renamed Open Shell:

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Still free and works on Windows up to Win 11.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Re: Computer snobbery

<slrnuj4h46.53m.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26355&group=uk.rec.sheds#26355

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Oct 2023 09:12:38 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:12 UTC

On 2023-10-19, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2023 21:13:26 GMT
> maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:
>
>> Sugar was a bit of a character
>
> Alan M. Sugar - want to guess what his employees decided the M
> stood for ?
>
> Suffice it to say he was not a well liked boss.

The Donald as it was in England, I missremember

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the Influencers, hung, drawn and Quartered is more than they deserve.
Meantime, back at the Estancia, etc.

Re: Computer snobbery

<slrnuj4hd1.53m.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26357&group=uk.rec.sheds#26357

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Oct 2023 09:17:21 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:17 UTC

On 2023-10-20, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually a modern SSD is really all you need in a slightly older computer to
> make it faster to load and save stuff, and the reliability is as good now as
> the mechanical drive.
> However my first ssd, went down in a couple of years and was completely
> knackered. The new ones seem to be far better, again, that was the price I
> paid for going in too early, then bugs were lurking hiding to popup just
> after the warranty ran out.
> Brian

Got one last week, incredibly fast, still wondering where it fits my
system.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the Influencers, hung, drawn and Quartered is more than they deserve.
Meantime, back at the Estancia, etc.

Re: Computer snobbery

<fsAIDYAUckMlFA$o@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26358&group=uk.rec.sheds#26358

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:23:32 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:23 UTC

In article <ugsufj$s3r2$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar
..girolle.co.uk> on Fri, 20 Oct 2023 at 05:08:18 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 20/10/2023 00:17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On 19 Oct 2023 21:13:26 GMT
>> maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Sugar was a bit of a character
>>
>> Alan M. Sugar - want to guess what his employees decided the M
>> stood for ?
>>
>> Suffice it to say he was not a well liked boss.
>>
>Not magnificant or munificent then?

Munch?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugti1e$10cm7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26359&group=uk.rec.sheds#26359

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:42:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:42 UTC

Peter said:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In my view they are brainwashed into thinking newer is better, when
>>> you
>>
>> Nope, just that newer is supported and thus gets patches for
>> security holes - some of which will be present in the older OS (or
>> hardware for things like spectre and rowhammer).
>>
>> Old hardware and up to date software is a good approach - but
>> Windows doesn't play too well with that.
>>

> I like up-to-date stuff, whether chips and disks or code. But that's just
> me, I know plenty of folk who can't be doing with new-fangled gizmos and
> eschew them, which I reckon is a perfectly reasonable whatsit. But then,
> I'm an old fart.

I buy new hardware when I want to do something the existing setup can't
cope with. Or when something blows up, whichever comes first.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugtij5$10cm7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26361&group=uk.rec.sheds#26361

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:51:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:51 UTC

Sam Plusnet said:
> On 19-Oct-23 15:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I've noticed recently that if you choose to use an old computer with an old
>> operating system you get a certain kind of sneered response if you mention
>> it. The fact that it does the jobs in an efficient and effective manner is
>> of no interest to them at all.
><snip>
>
> There were always kids at school who would pick on anyone who stood out
> in some way. It might be a bad haircut, funny glasses, being short, or
> tall etc. etc. etc.
>
> Those kids get older, but plenty of them never grow up so they carry on,
> picking on anyone who dares to be different.

I had an odd conversation the other day; Bloke With Lanyard Round Neck
knocked on the door, "What do you want ?". It seemed to be that he was
telling me the phone landline was going to be upgraded to fibre in
maybe-2025, I'm not sure why he needed to do that. But along the way he
kept asking about my wifi speed - I *think* he was expecting me to be
doing internet via wifi over a pocketgadget; told me a) my contract was
extremely cheap and b) landline broadband internet is extremely
old-fashioned. "Go figure", as they say.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Computer snobbery

<20231020114555.f9583438ed81c7325b0b0bbc@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26365&group=uk.rec.sheds#26365

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:45:55 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:45 UTC

On 20 Oct 2023 08:37:16 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> In case anybody is struggling to find it Classic Shell has gone open
> source and been renamed Open Shell:
>
> https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
>
> Still free and works on Windows up to Win 11.

No Windows XP support! </joking>

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Computer snobbery

<xn0o8b6r856vf2001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26366&group=uk.rec.sheds#26366

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Oct 2023 10:55:41 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:55 UTC

On 20/10/2023 in message
<20231020114555.f9583438ed81c7325b0b0bbc@127.0.0.1> Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>On 20 Oct 2023 08:37:16 GMT
>"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>

>>In case anybody is struggling to find it Classic Shell has gone open
>>source and been renamed Open Shell:
>>
>>https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
>>
>>Still free and works on Windows up to Win 11.
>>

>No Windows XP support! </joking>

:-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugtor0$124lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26368&group=uk.rec.sheds#26368

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:38:07 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:38 UTC

On 20/10/2023 09:37, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> In case anybody is struggling to find it Classic Shell has gone open
> source and been renamed Open Shell:
>
> https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
>
> Still free and works on Windows up to Win 11.
>

> On 20/10/2023 in message <kpes3gFrq5uU1@mid.individual.net> John
> Williamson wrote:
>
>> If you install Classic Shell (Free to install, no adverts) on your
>> New! Shiny! Windows machine, you can choose to have it work the same
>> way as Windows XP, 2000 or 7. This applies to both the start menu and
>> Windows File Explorer.
>>
>> If you <Shift+Click> on the start button, you get the start menu
>> installed by your Windows install medium.
>>
>> On 20/10/2023 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> Yes, in fact if Microsoft were really clever, they should have had a
>>> machine
>>> that you could skin to look like Classic windows, but with all the
>>> extras
>>> just additional menu choices, then if you did not want to spend time
>>> trying
>>> to figure out how the new interface works, you need not. I think one
>>> of the
>>> biggest reasons people hate modern Windows is the Ribbon menu system,
>>> which
>>> is very powerful but completely counter intuitive if you actually
>>> want to do
>>> something.
>>> Why is it, if it were so good that Firefox uses the original menu
>>> format,
>>> an in the main, Edge uses a combination of that and bleedin obvious
>>> buttons.
>>>
>>> Re inventing the weal so its triangular seems crazy to me.
>>> Brian

I've tried Openshell, but went back to Start10 (now Start11) from
Stardock software. OK, it costs but the price seems minimal to me ~£5 or
~£11 for 5 installs.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
NON-FLAMMABLE, IS NOT A CHALLENGE

Re: Computer snobbery

<ugu1g8$14bqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26372&group=uk.rec.sheds#26372

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:06:00 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:06 UTC

On 20/10/2023 11:45, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2023 08:37:16 GMT
> "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>

>> In case anybody is struggling to find it Classic Shell has gone open
>> source and been renamed Open Shell:
>>
>> https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
>>
>> Still free and works on Windows up to Win 11.
>>

> No Windows XP support! </joking>

No support for my old Windows 3.00/ chamine either

--
Rusty Hinge