From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Pi has a CSV file, and updates it every 30 minutes, how to access
that *.csv file on Excel running on a win 10 box?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:50:28 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 20:50 UTC

Right, I have a Pi that is measuring something every 30 minutes and
appending the new measurement to the end of a CSV file that is stored on
the Pi.

I want to run excel on my win 10 box and access that csv file without
having to use WinSCP to copy the most recent file across.

I presume I could share a file directory on the pi onto the network, so
How do I do this please?

Re: Pi has a CSV file, and updates it every 30 minutes, how to access that *.csv file on Excel running on a win 10 box?

<slrntl3e75.gr1.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2631&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2631

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Pi has a CSV file, and updates it every 30 minutes, how to
access that *.csv file on Excel running on a win 10 box?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:08:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:08 UTC

On 2022-10-20, SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> Right, I have a Pi that is measuring something every 30 minutes and
> appending the new measurement to the end of a CSV file that is stored on
> the Pi.
>
> I want to run excel on my win 10 box and access that csv file without
> having to use WinSCP to copy the most recent file across.
>
> I presume I could share a file directory on the pi onto the network, so
> How do I do this please?

you need to install samba if its not already installed, and then
configure it to allow access.

A google for "samba on the raspberry pi" throws up quite a few tutorials.

This one for instance ...

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-samba/

good luck

Re: Pi has a CSV file, and updates it every 30 minutes, how to access that *.csv file on Excel running on a win 10 box?

<titjmh$ja3n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2632&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2632

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
that *.csv file on Excel running on a win 10 box?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 09:02:26 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 08:02 UTC

On 20/10/2022 22:08, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On 2022-10-20, SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>> Right, I have a Pi that is measuring something every 30 minutes and
>> appending the new measurement to the end of a CSV file that is stored on
>> the Pi.
>>
>> I want to run excel on my win 10 box and access that csv file without
>> having to use WinSCP to copy the most recent file across.
>>
>> I presume I could share a file directory on the pi onto the network, so
>> How do I do this please?
>
> you need to install samba if its not already installed, and then
> configure it to allow access.
>
> A google for "samba on the raspberry pi" throws up quite a few tutorials.
>
> This one for instance ...
>
> https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-samba/
>
> good luck

alternatively, there may be a way to make a ftp connection to it
directly from Excel ?

I hasten to add that I don't own a Pi or know much about them.

AT

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Pi has a CSV file, and updates it every 30 minutes, how to access that *.csv file on Excel running on a win 10 box?

<titkej$v2s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2633&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2633

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
that *.csv file on Excel running on a win 10 box?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 09:15:15 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 08:15 UTC

On 20/10/2022 22:08, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On 2022-10-20, SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>> Right, I have a Pi that is measuring something every 30 minutes and
>> appending the new measurement to the end of a CSV file that is stored on
>> the Pi.
>>
>> I want to run excel on my win 10 box and access that csv file without
>> having to use WinSCP to copy the most recent file across.
>>
>> I presume I could share a file directory on the pi onto the network, so
>> How do I do this please?
>
> you need to install samba if its not already installed, and then
> configure it to allow access.
>
> A google for "samba on the raspberry pi" throws up quite a few tutorials.
>
> This one for instance ...
>
> https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-samba/
>
> good luck

well that worked, but I had to be patient while Win 10 sorted its stuff
out...... it came up with a lot of Not reeponding windows!

I just shared the directory that the CSV file is located at.

FYI, I have a cron job on the Pi that does a CLI speedtest every 30 mins
and there is a noticeable drop from 500 Mbit to less than 100 Mbit every
evening from about 7.00 pm to 10.00 pm. The upload of 500 Mbit is
unaffected. Ping is OK but Jitter is poor in the evenings.

So at least I have evidence when I raise a support ticket with my fibre
provider regarding the poor download speed and poor jitter.

The Pi is suprisingly useful, I also have Pi Hole and Ubiquiti network
controller AND Wireguard all running on the same physical Pi 4.

S.