From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,alt.comp.misc,england.comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Subject: how to watch SSF files copied from a CCTV hard disc drive?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 18:52:37 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:52 UTC

I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
related to the recent heatwave we had recently.

I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.

The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in the
SSF file format.

The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a multiplexed
video file of all 8 video streams. So it might need demultiplexing into
5 files?

Does SSF adhere to a common video standerd like MPEG?

So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there were
no video recordings of the day in question.

I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto another
hard disc (266 GB in total!)

(all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even though
the software says otherwise.

Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video files?

I can run this software on either Linux or Windows.