From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Wireless Headphones
Date: 8 Sep 2021 11:05:37 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 11:05 UTC

I'm after some advice again please.

I bought some Jelly Comb wireless headphones back in January and they have
been brilliant but just stopped working. Amazon have agreed to refund me
and they will be collected tomorrow.

They are no longer available although there is something similar from
Jelly Office rather than Jelly Comb - and they're half the price. Only 2
reviews and one says they stopped working after 10 months.

The advice the group gave was avoid Bluetooth because of latency and these
were the only ones I could find (and they have been excellent). Any
suggestions for a make/model that will do the job but for a bit longer?

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Re: Wireless Headphones

<btCdnSoHac-cJ6X8nZ2dnUU78anNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26247&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26247

Subject: Re: Wireless Headphones
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 14:26:22 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 13:26 UTC

On 08/09/2021 12:05, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I'm after some advice again please.
>
> I bought some Jelly Comb wireless headphones back in January and they
> have been brilliant but just stopped working. Amazon have agreed to
> refund me and they will be collected tomorrow.
>
> They are no longer available although there is something similar from
> Jelly Office rather than Jelly Comb - and they're half the price. Only 2
> reviews and one says they stopped working after 10 months.
>
> The advice the group gave was avoid Bluetooth because of latency and
> these were the only ones I could find (and they have been excellent).
> Any suggestions for a make/model that will do the job but for a bit longer?

These from Thomson (£41.99) are very good:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HLIHKY/

I bought them four years ago. They use UHF so no latency and a very good
range (out into the car park).

--
Max Demian

Re: Wireless Headphones

<shak32$9ie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26250&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26250

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 16:15:43 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 15:15 UTC

On 08/09/2021 14:26, Max Demian wrote:
> On 08/09/2021 12:05, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> I'm after some advice again please.
>>
>> I bought some Jelly Comb wireless headphones back in January and they
>> have been brilliant but just stopped working. Amazon have agreed to
>> refund me and they will be collected tomorrow.
>>
>> They are no longer available although there is something similar from
>> Jelly Office rather than Jelly Comb - and they're half the price. Only 2
>> reviews and one says they stopped working after 10 months.
>>
>> The advice the group gave was avoid Bluetooth because of latency and
>> these were the only ones I could find (and they have been excellent).
>> Any suggestions for a make/model that will do the job but for a bit longer?
>
> These from Thomson (£41.99) are very good:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HLIHKY/
>
> I bought them four years ago. They use UHF so no latency and a very good
> range (out into the car park).

I can't comment on the Thompson product, but I can comment on the
technology it uses.

A couple of years ago I was given a Philips HC8522 headphones. A friend
didn't want them when they became redundant after their father died. He
was hard of hearing and used them to hear the television without
deafening everybody else in the room. It uses the same style of base
station with 3.5mm stereo input jack, it recharges the headphone
batteries (rechargeable AAA) when the headphones are placed on the base
station, and the transmission is interference free thanks to a choice of
3 channels. That particular model was discontinued at least 8 years ago,
so their longevity is proved.

The salient points are that it uses the same RF frequency as the
Thompson, which give the headphones a range to work perfectly in every
room in my house and anywhere I roam in my garden, and if watching the
TV there is no loss of lip sync. It is adjustable by a volume control
on the headphones like the Thompson is, so the sound level can be
adjusted for the wearer without interfering with the volume output into
the base station.

Thus while I can't comment on the life expectancy of the Thompson (and
beware of the Amazon comments because they have done their usual trick
of bundling comments on other unrelated products onto this item - for
instance I saw comments on bluetooth connectivity when the product
itself is RF not bluetooth) I can support the specification as being
suitable.

Jim

Re: Wireless Headphones

<5968ce9a92charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26254&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26254

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 16:43:19 +0100
 by: charles - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 15:43 UTC

In article <shak32$9ie$1@dont-email.me>,
Indy Jess John <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:
> On 08/09/2021 14:26, Max Demian wrote:
> > On 08/09/2021 12:05, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm after some advice again please.
> >>
> >> I bought some Jelly Comb wireless headphones back in January and they
> >> have been brilliant but just stopped working. Amazon have agreed to
> >> refund me and they will be collected tomorrow.
> >>
> >> They are no longer available although there is something similar from
> >> Jelly Office rather than Jelly Comb - and they're half the price. Only 2
> >> reviews and one says they stopped working after 10 months.
> >>
> >> The advice the group gave was avoid Bluetooth because of latency and
> >> these were the only ones I could find (and they have been excellent).
> >> Any suggestions for a make/model that will do the job but for a bit
> >> longer?
> >
> > These from Thomson (£41.99) are very good:
> > https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HLIHKY/
> >
> > I bought them four years ago. They use UHF so no latency and a very good
> > range (out into the car park).
> >

> I can't comment on the Thompson product, but I can comment on the
> technology it uses.

> A couple of years ago I was given a Philips HC8522 headphones. A friend
> didn't want them when they became redundant after their father died. He
> was hard of hearing and used them to hear the television without
> deafening everybody else in the room. It uses the same style of base
> station with 3.5mm stereo input jack, it recharges the headphone
> batteries (rechargeable AAA) when the headphones are placed on the base
> station, and the transmission is interference free thanks to a choice of
> 3 channels. That particular model was discontinued at least 8 years ago,
> so their longevity is proved.

> The salient points are that it uses the same RF frequency as the
> Thompson, which give the headphones a range to work perfectly in every
> room in my house and anywhere I roam in my garden, and if watching the
> TV there is no loss of lip sync. It is adjustable by a volume control
> on the headphones like the Thompson is, so the sound level can be
> adjusted for the wearer without interfering with the volume output into
> the base station.

> Thus while I can't comment on the life expectancy of the Thompson (and
> beware of the Amazon comments because they have done their usual trick
> of bundling comments on other unrelated products onto this item - for
> instance I saw comments on bluetooth connectivity when the product
> itself is RF not bluetooth) I can support the specification as being
> suitable.

> Jim

surely Bluetooth is RF? or is it magic?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Wireless Headphones

<xn0n2n8h88x5w9v001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26255&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26255

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 8 Sep 2021 16:05:26 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 16:05 UTC

On 08/09/2021 in message <5968ce9a92charles@candehope.me.uk> charles wrote:

>surely Bluetooth is RF? or is it magic?

Yes it uses RF but it has heavy overheads which cause latency so it's
unsuitable when, e.g. lip sync is important. The ones mentioned by Max/Jim
transmit direct without the overhead (as did my Jelly Comb ones).

I never fail to be astonished at how utterly useless my search skills are
compared to others :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

Re: Wireless Headphones

<xn0n2oche9yblzu002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26288&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26288

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 9 Sep 2021 09:25:39 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 09:25 UTC

On 08/09/2021 in message
<btCdnSoHac-cJ6X8nZ2dnUU78anNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> Max Demian wrote:

>These from Thomson (£41.99) are very good:
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HLIHKY/
>
>I bought them four years ago. They use UHF so no latency and a very good
>range (out into the car park).

Many thanks Max, just ordered for delivery tomorrow :-)

I had two pairs of the Jelly Comb 'phones. Due to clumsiness I managed to
snap the folding arrangement on one side so taped it up. Eventually
decided to get a new set as they were so good. It's the new set that
failed and were collected by Hermes this morning for a refund.

Thought I'd better check the TV sound output before I ordered the
Thompsons - it has more inputs and outputs than you can shake a stick at
and is only used as a monitor - my Yamaha amp acts as a switch for HDMI
inputs and sound and it's sometime difficult to work out what goes in and
where it comes out. Anyway, the RCA to Jack converter worked fine (I had
been using optical) so I though great, go for the Thompsons.

As I picked up the taped up 'phones I snapped off the other arm, hence the
extra for next day delivery :-(

Thanks for all the input :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

Re: Wireless Headphones

<xn0n2r3qfcqm8o4009@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26361&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26361

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 11 Sep 2021 08:13:18 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 08:13 UTC

On 08/09/2021 in message
<btCdnSoHac-cJ6X8nZ2dnUU78anNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> Max Demian wrote:

>These from Thomson (£41.99) are very good:
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HLIHKY/
>
>I bought them four years ago. They use UHF so no latency and a very good
>range (out into the car park).

They arrived last night.I left them on charge overnight and checked this
morning and they are brill - hopefully more robust than the Jelly Combs as
hey don't have the flimsy folding mechanism.

Thanks again :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.