Just to have it is enough.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

SubjectAuthor
* 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentRobert Henderson
`* Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentNajeeb ybo
 +* Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentRobert Henderson
 |`* Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentNajeeb ybo
 | `- Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentRobert Henderson
 `* Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentMike Holmans
  `* Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kentmax.it
   `* Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentMike Holmans
    +- Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v KentRobert Henderson
    `- Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kentmax.it

1
3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<c5d833e0-28ed-4bb1-98e8-2bb2aadbeff3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26455&group=uk.sport.cricket#26455

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 00:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 07:29 UTC

A game which started in rain and ended in bright sunshine.

No spin bowled during the entire match despite Middlsex having Luke Hollman in the game. Kent had no spinner of any sort.

The batting of both sides showed a woeful lack of judgement in shot selection and technique, the latter consisting of almost everyone starting from a stance with the batsman leaning forward holding their bat with varying degrees of awkwardness . Kent's batting on the final day was truly woeful as batsman after batsman fell to RFM balls rising from a little short of a length - Ben Compton was an honourable exemption. .

RH

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<b63a9f59-ab22-45c6-8cde-6ec431755377n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26456&group=uk.sport.cricket#26456

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 04:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent
From: najeeb...@gmail.com (Najeeb ybo)
 by: Najeeb ybo - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 11:17 UTC

On Sunday, 30 April 2023 at 08:29:19 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> A game which started in rain and ended in bright sunshine.
>
> No spin bowled during the entire match despite Middlsex having Luke Hollman in the game. Kent had no spinner of any sort.
>
> The batting of both sides showed a woeful lack of judgement in shot selection and technique, the latter consisting of almost everyone starting from a stance with the batsman leaning forward holding their bat with varying degrees of awkwardness . Kent's batting on the final day was truly woeful as batsman after batsman fell to RFM balls rising from a little short of a length - Ben Compton was an honourable exemption. .
>
> RH

What a boring schoolboy match report, it's absolutely rubbish, it reports nothing.
Why would Middlesex bring on a spin bowler when their medium pacer is ripping through the opposition?
BTW, below is a proper match report, you should read it, you might learn something (at least everyone else will) or better still attend a match in person. It must be difficult to pick out the snippets and bits from a radio report that you feel are worth reporting.. 10 wickets in the match for a 41 year old didn't even get a mention.

Veteran seamer Tim Murtagh recorded a 10-wicket match haul to reach his 1,000th in all formats for Middlesex and set up a second successive County Championship victory, as they triumphed against Kent.
Player-coach Murtagh, 41, who is now in his 17th season with the county, scythed through the visitors' line-up with 6-42 - and match figures of 10-82 - as they crumbled to 128 all out at Lord's.
Ben Compton and Jack Leaning had dragged Kent back into contention with their solid 87-run partnership before seven wickets tumbled for only 22, leaving Middlesex to chase a modest target of 86.
They achieved that in 24.3 overs, with Sam Robson compiling an unbeaten 41 and Pieter Malan 24 not out to steer their side across the line by nine wickets.
Trailing by just three runs at 40-2 overnight, Kent moved into the lead when Compton nudged Ethan Bamber to the boundary, but overall the morning session proved a tough slog for the batting side.
Middlesex's four seamers all bowled with accuracy, with Ryan Higgins removing Leaning two short of his half-century and they picked-up two more wickets before lunch.
The normally free-scoring Jordan Cox was restricted to six from 36 balls before Bamber had him caught at slip and Murtagh struck with the penultimate delivery of the session, pinning Kent captain Sam Billings lbw for a duck.
Compton, who dropped anchor to play a typically obdurate innings of 38 in more than three-and-a-half hours, paid the price for an uncharacteristic lapse just after the interval, dabbing Murtagh straight to gully.
The seamer claimed a five-for - the 39th of his first-class career - in his next over, knocking back Joey Evison's off stump and followed that up with his landmark wicket four balls later as Matt Quinn was leg before, swinging across the line.
Those sandwiched a second for Bamber, who had Grant Stewart caught behind and last pair Wes Agar and Michael Hogan threw the bat, both depositing Murtagh into the stand to pad out Kent's paltry total by 19 before Tom Helm wrapped-up the innings.
Although Mark Stoneman perished for 13, slapping Quinn's half-volley to mid-off, Malan joined forces with Robson for an unbroken partnership of 57 that sealed their side's win shortly after tea.

Report supplied by ECB Reporters' Network.

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<ab513c39-7a19-481f-82bb-1f328c34afabn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26457&group=uk.sport.cricket#26457

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 04:57:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 11:57 UTC

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 12:17:02 PM UTC+1, Najeeb ybo wrote:
> [...]
> The seamer claimed a five-for - the 39th of his first-class career - in his next over, knocking back Joey Evison's off stump and followed that up with his landmark wicket four balls later as Matt Quinn was leg before, swinging across the line.
> Those sandwiched a second for Bamber, who had Grant Stewart caught behind and last pair Wes Agar and Michael Hogan threw the bat, both depositing Murtagh into the stand to pad out Kent's paltry total by 19 before Tom Helm wrapped-up the innings.
> Although Mark Stoneman perished for 13, slapping Quinn's half-volley to mid-off, Malan joined forces with Robson for an unbroken partnership of 57 that sealed their side's win shortly after tea.
>
> Report supplied by ECB Reporters' Network.

Translation: Najeeb ybo fails to understand the most important issues raised by the game, namely, (1) the one-dimensional nature of the match created by no spin bowling and (2) the adoption of seriously faulty techniques by all and sundry.

Najeeb also confuses long windiness with quality of reporting...RH

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<7140f9b8-db4e-464d-8441-3870e0a7fe10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26460&group=uk.sport.cricket#26460

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 08:24:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: najeeb...@gmail.com (Najeeb ybo)
 by: Najeeb ybo - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 15:24 UTC

On Sunday, 30 April 2023 at 12:57:06 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> [...]
> > Those sandwiched a second for Bamber, who had Grant Stewart caught behind and last pair Wes Agar and Michael Hogan threw the bat, both depositing Murtagh into the stand to pad out Kent's paltry total by 19 before Tom Helm wrapped-up the innings.
> > Although Mark Stoneman perished for 13, slapping Quinn's half-volley to mid-off, Malan joined forces with Robson for an unbroken partnership of 57 that sealed their side's win shortly after tea.
> >
> > Report supplied by ECB Reporters' Network.
> Translation: Najeeb ybo fails to understand the most important issues raised by the game, namely, (1) the one-dimensional nature of the match created by no spin bowling and (2) the adoption of seriously faulty techniques by all and sundry.
>
> Najeeb also confuses long windiness with quality of reporting...RH

I can see which report has quality and it isn't your moaning griping nonsense.
(1) is irrelevant, no spin bowling was superfluous, clearly a team tactic based on cricket experience that you don't have.
(2) What batting experience do you have in similar conditions? What different would you have done?

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<7t1t4i16f326o9vatu42b5afhh2bk0mdjm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26461&group=uk.sport.cricket#26461

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 16:28:47 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 15:28 UTC

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 04:17:01 -0700 (PDT), Najeeb ybo
<najeebybo@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, 30 April 2023 at 08:29:19 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
>> A game which started in rain and ended in bright sunshine.
>>
>> No spin bowled during the entire match despite Middlsex having Luke Hollman in the game. Kent had no spinner of any sort.
>>
>> The batting of both sides showed a woeful lack of judgement in shot selection and technique, the latter consisting of almost everyone starting from a stance with the batsman leaning forward holding their bat with varying degrees of awkwardness . Kent's batting on the final day was truly woeful as batsman after batsman fell to RFM balls rising from a little short of a length - Ben Compton was an honourable exemption. .
>>
>> RH
>>

>What a boring schoolboy match report, it's absolutely rubbish, it reports nothing.
>Why would Middlesex bring on a spin bowler when their medium pacer is ripping through the opposition?
>BTW, below is a proper match report, you should read it, you might learn something (at least everyone else will) or better still attend a match in person. It must be difficult to pick out the snippets and bits from a radio report that you feel are worth reporting.. 10 wickets in the match for a 41 year old didn't even get a mention.

Oh, he was almost certainly there. You'll note that as usual, the
village idiot is concerned purely with the aesthetics of batters'
stances and whether there is a wide variety of bowling.

The idea that games of cricket are between sides who are usually
trying to win and that their tactical choices might somehow be
influenced by the state of the game is completely alien to someone who
prefers to treat the game as a strange form of ballet rather than a
competitive sport.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<mdjt4ihfntdmm10089ubqen087elc2ttav@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26463&group=uk.sport.cricket#26463

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:22:42 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 20:22 UTC

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 16:28:47 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 04:17:01 -0700 (PDT), Najeeb ybo
><najeebybo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, 30 April 2023 at 08:29:19 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
>>> A game which started in rain and ended in bright sunshine.
>>>
>>> No spin bowled during the entire match despite Middlsex having Luke Hollman in the game. Kent had no spinner of any sort.
>>>
>>> The batting of both sides showed a woeful lack of judgement in shot selection and technique, the latter consisting of almost everyone starting from a stance with the batsman leaning forward holding their bat with varying degrees of awkwardness . Kent's batting on the final day was truly woeful as batsman after batsman fell to RFM balls rising from a little short of a length - Ben Compton was an honourable exemption. .
>>>
>>> RH
>>>

>>What a boring schoolboy match report, it's absolutely rubbish, it reports nothing.
>>Why would Middlesex bring on a spin bowler when their medium pacer is ripping through the opposition?
>>BTW, below is a proper match report, you should read it, you might learn something (at least everyone else will) or better still attend a match in person. It must be difficult to pick out the snippets and bits from a radio report that you feel are worth reporting.. 10 wickets in the match for a 41 year old didn't even get a mention.
>

>Oh, he was almost certainly there. You'll note that as usual, the
>village idiot is concerned purely with the aesthetics of batters'
>stances and whether there is a wide variety of bowling.
>
>The idea that games of cricket are between sides who are usually
>trying to win and that their tactical choices might somehow be
>influenced by the state of the game is completely alien to someone who
>prefers to treat the game as a strange form of ballet rather than a
>competitive sport.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

That's like going to the circus and complaining because the elephant
didn't shit in the ring.

max.it

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<seqt4ihvan6t42rm9b3k8tb9ilgt0j25ri@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26464&group=uk.sport.cricket#26464

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 23:25:21 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 22:25 UTC

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:22:42 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 16:28:47 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
>wrote:

>>The idea that games of cricket are between sides who are usually
>>trying to win and that their tactical choices might somehow be
>>influenced by the state of the game is completely alien to someone who
>>prefers to treat the game as a strange form of ballet rather than a
>>competitive sport.

>That's like going to the circus and complaining because the elephant
>didn't shit in the ring.

Unlikely in his case. It seems extremely likely that an elephant
would shit itself if it saw a village idiot watching.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<33565423-899b-44f6-9fae-f78a20fb6535n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26465&group=uk.sport.cricket#26465

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 03:47:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Mon, 1 May 2023 10:47 UTC

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 4:24:34 PM UTC+1, Najeeb ybo wrote:
> [...]
> > > Although Mark Stoneman perished for 13, slapping Quinn's half-volley to mid-off, Malan joined forces with Robson for an unbroken partnership of 57 that sealed their side's win shortly after tea.
> > >
> > > Report supplied by ECB Reporters' Network.
> > Translation: Najeeb ybo fails to understand the most important issues raised by the game, namely, (1) the one-dimensional nature of the match created by no spin bowling and (2) the adoption of seriously faulty techniques by all and sundry.
> >
> > Najeeb also confuses long windiness with quality of reporting...RH
> >

> I can see which report has quality and it isn't your moaning griping nonsense.
> (1) is irrelevant, no spin bowling was superfluous, clearly a team tactic based on cricket experience that you don't have.
> (2) What batting experience do you have in similar conditions? What different would you have done?

It would bring variety. There were several stands of some substance, eg, Hollman and Higgins looked as though which might well have been broken earlier than they were.

Tim Murtagh did not need to bowled exceptionally well because the Kent batsmen kept on being inept . Bamber looked the more threatening .

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<bea45cb6-6739-4583-9f41-b5333f6ed135n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26466&group=uk.sport.cricket#26466

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 03:49:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Mon, 1 May 2023 10:49 UTC

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 11:25:25 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:22:42 +0100, max.it <m...@tea.time> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 16:28:47 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
> >wrote:
> >>The idea that games of cricket are between sides who are usually
> >>trying to win and that their tactical choices might somehow be
> >>influenced by the state of the game is completely alien to someone who
> >>prefers to treat the game as a strange form of ballet rather than a
> >>competitive sport.
>

> >That's like going to the circus and complaining because the elephant
> >didn't shit in the ring.
> Unlikely in his case. It seems extremely likely that an elephant
> would shit itself if it saw a village idiot watching.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Oh dear, master Unwholesome has befouled himself yet again... RH

Re: 3 Day at Lords - Mddx v Kent

<f0iv4ilim7479lc85v7dqlfmh32hc766qj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26469&group=uk.sport.cricket#26469

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 15:15:09 +0100
 by: max.it - Mon, 1 May 2023 14:15 UTC

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 23:25:21 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:22:42 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 16:28:47 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
>>wrote:
>
>>>The idea that games of cricket are between sides who are usually
>>>trying to win and that their tactical choices might somehow be
>>>influenced by the state of the game is completely alien to someone who
>>>prefers to treat the game as a strange form of ballet rather than a
>>>competitive sport.
>

>>That's like going to the circus and complaining because the elephant
>>didn't shit in the ring.
>
> Unlikely in his case. It seems extremely likely that an elephant
>would shit itself if it saw a village idiot watching.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

Poor oul thing would probably be anxious about it's position. Nothing
to worry about though, even PT Barnum wouldn't have touch that freak..

max.it