The human race never solves any of its problems. It merely outlives them. -- David Gerrold

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Southend headteacher welcomes packed bike sheds at start of a new term

SubjectAuthor
* Southend headteacher welcomes packed bike sheds at start of a new termswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Southend headteacher welcomes packed fairy-bike sheds at start ofJNugent
`- Re: Southend headteacher welcomes packed bike sheds at start of a new termswldx...@gmail.com

1
Southend headteacher welcomes packed bike sheds at start of a new term

<290407f3-6959-4749-9a4a-5080f3aff79an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2661&group=uk.rec.cycling#2661

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 03:31:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Southend headteacher welcomes packed bike sheds at start of a new term
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:31 UTC

Some parents are getting the message.

Robin Bevan, the headteacher at Southend High School for Boys triumphantly shared this photo of the scene at his school's expanded bike shed on the first day of a new term. The racks were full, and Bevan proudly recalled how when he started as headteacher only ten pupils cycled to school.

"15 years ago, when I started as a headteacher, only ten pupils cycled to school," Bevan explained on Twitter. "Today, first day of term, and our expanded bike sheds are almost full - 150+. It's healthier, cheaper, faster, greener, and - with a good route chosen - safer too."

We've got a lot of time for the back to school by bike content...yesterday on the live blog we saw the Victory Chimp cycle clothing account share a great photo of their kid climbing 9 per cent gradients on the school run...carrying a backpack half the size of him. Hey, it worked for Nairo Quintana....

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-3-september-2021-286085#live-blog-item-27509

Re: Southend headteacher welcomes packed fairy-bike sheds at start of a new term

<ipecnkFghcqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2664&group=uk.rec.cycling#2664

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Southend headteacher welcomes packed fairy-bike sheds at start of
a new term
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:46:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:46 UTC

On 03/09/2021 11:31 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Some parents are getting the message.
>
> Robin Bevan, the headteacher at Southend High School for Boys triumphantly shared this photo of the scene at his school's expanded fairy-bike shed on the first day of a new term. The racks were full, and Bevan proudly recalled how when he started as headteacher only ten pupils fairy-cycled to school.
>
> "15 years ago, when I started as a headteacher, only ten pupils fairy-cycled to school," Bevan explained on Twitter. "Today, first day of term, and our expanded fairy-bike sheds are almost full - 150+. It's healthier, cheaper, faster, greener, and - with a good route chosen - safer too."
>
> We've got a lot of time for the back to school by fairy-bike content...yesterday on the live blog we saw the Victory Chimp fairy-cycle clothing account share a great photo of their kid climbing 9 per cent gradients on the school run...carrying a backpack half the size of him. Hey, it worked for Nairo Quintana...
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-3-september-2021-286085#live-blog-item-27509

"...cheaper, faster..." than... what?

It's obviously cheap (a very important point for the average
fairy-cyclist), but... faster than travelling thirty miles in a motor
vehicle?

Re: Southend headteacher welcomes packed bike sheds at start of a new term

<28d26ce0-7478-42b4-9cd4-b21b27fb25f9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2667&group=uk.rec.cycling#2667

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 03:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:50 UTC

On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 11:31:41 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Some parents are getting the message.

eburtthebike | 2286 posts | 13 min ago
8 likes

Cycling to school: Excellent news, and thanks for sharing something so optimistic in these depressing days where so much of the reporting is negative. I hope this story is shared far and wide so that other schools that want to increase cycling will be able to learn from it.

Log in or register to post comments

geomannie 531 replied to eburtthebike | 48 posts | 1 hour ago
3 likes

In a similar vein, I saw 3 kids riding to our nearby school the other day. Only 3, I hear you say? Yeh, but they are the first 3 I've seen after living near the school for 17 years. Progress I think.