You will meet an important person who will help you advance professionally.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Duplicate LCNs

SubjectAuthor
* Duplicate LCNsAndy Burns
+* Re: Duplicate LCNsBrian Gregory
|`- Re: Duplicate LCNsBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Duplicate LCNsIndy Jess John
 +* Re: Duplicate LCNsAndy Burns
 |`* Re: Duplicate LCNsIvan Plapp
 | `- Re: Duplicate LCNsAndy Burns
 `* Re: Duplicate LCNsVir Campestris
  `- Re: Duplicate LCNsIndy Jess John

1
Duplicate LCNs

<iqpfn9FptqsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26620&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26620

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Duplicate LCNs
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:00:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:00 UTC

A few weeks ago I did a factory reset on my parents' LG TV and retuned it.

Scanning through the channels on it today, I noticed it goes

1,1,2,3,3,4,5 etc

the two 1s are BBC1 Yorks&Lincs and BBC1 EastMids
the two 3s are ITV1 York/east and ITV1 central/east

I thought all sets handled this by shoving one transmitter's LCNs into
the 80x range, not having duplicate LCNs, is it just an LG thing?

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<iqplisFqvd0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26621&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26621

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Duplicate LCNs
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:41:00 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:41 UTC

On 19/09/2021 20:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> A few weeks ago I did a factory reset on my parents' LG TV and retuned it.
>
> Scanning through the channels on it today, I noticed it goes
>
> 1,1,2,3,3,4,5  etc
>
> the two 1s are BBC1 Yorks&Lincs and BBC1 EastMids
> the two 3s are ITV1 York/east and ITV1 central/east
>
> I thought all sets handled this by shoving one transmitter's LCNs into
> the 80x range, not having duplicate LCNs, is it just an LG thing?

That's nicer in some ways, and I have heard of TVs doing it that way
before but the 800+ ways seems to be the most common IME.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<si8ell$abf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26625&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26625

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 23:47:16 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:47 UTC

On 19/09/2021 20:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> A few weeks ago I did a factory reset on my parents' LG TV and retuned it.
>
> Scanning through the channels on it today, I noticed it goes
>
> 1,1,2,3,3,4,5 etc
>
> the two 1s are BBC1 Yorks&Lincs and BBC1 EastMids
> the two 3s are ITV1 York/east and ITV1 central/east
>
> I thought all sets handled this by shoving one transmitter's LCNs into
> the 80x range, not having duplicate LCNs, is it just an LG thing?

I would guess that the factory reset cleared al the user information.
My LG TV wanted to know my postcode as part of the "first use" set-up,
and from that it provided the locally relevant BBC and ITV channels.

If you didn't replace the erased location information, it would explain
why you got the arrangement you report.

Jim

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<iqqppcF2tloU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26627&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26627

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 07:58:49 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 06:58 UTC

Indy Jess John wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I thought all sets handled this by shoving one transmitter's LCNs into
>> the 80x range, not having duplicate LCNs, is it just an LG thing?
>
> I would guess that the factory reset cleared al the user information.

I hope so, that's why I did it.

> My LG TV wanted to know my postcode as part of the "first use" set-up,
> and from that it provided the locally relevant BBC and ITV channels.

When I did the scan, it noticed the transmitters were in different
regions, and asked which I wanted, probably I'd have picked
eastmids/central rather than yorks.

> If you didn't replace the erased location information, it would explain
> why you got the arrangement you report.

It no longer had WiFi/Internet access when I rescanned, so I doubt it
could manage a postcode lookup.

just surprised a TV can 'cope' with two channel 1s and two channel 3s.

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<si9ca5$kvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26629&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26629

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:13:07 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 07:13 UTC

I notice that my Samsung puts them into the 800s which is just as well as
there are often a lot of them after a lift condition and when you do tune to
them later they come up no signal do you wish to remove this channel. I used
to get rid of them, but of late I've been quite lazy and just let them get
on with it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gregory" <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote in message
> On 19/09/2021 20:00, Andy Burns wrote:
>> A few weeks ago I did a factory reset on my parents' LG TV and retuned
>> it.
>>
>> Scanning through the channels on it today, I noticed it goes
>>
>> 1,1,2,3,3,4,5 etc
>>
>> the two 1s are BBC1 Yorks&Lincs and BBC1 EastMids
>> the two 3s are ITV1 York/east and ITV1 central/east
>>
>> I thought all sets handled this by shoving one transmitter's LCNs into
>> the 80x range, not having duplicate LCNs, is it just an LG thing?
>
> That's nicer in some ways, and I have heard of TVs doing it that way
> before but the 800+ ways seems to be the most common IME.
>
> --
> Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<siarjn$gq1$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26635&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26635

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:40:23 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:40 UTC

On 19/09/2021 23:47, Indy Jess John wrote:
> I would guess that the factory reset cleared al the user information.
> My LG TV wanted to know my postcode as part of the "first use" set-up,
> and from that it provided the locally relevant BBC and ITV channels.

That wouldn't work for us.

We're on the side of a hill with LoS to a transmitter in the _next_
region, so a loft aerial works fine. It only matters for the local news,
but it would confuse any postcode based lookup.

Andy

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<sic2gm$mm7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26642&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26642

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 08:44:19 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:44 UTC

On 20/09/2021 21:40, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 19/09/2021 23:47, Indy Jess John wrote:
>> I would guess that the factory reset cleared al the user information.
>> My LG TV wanted to know my postcode as part of the "first use" set-up,
>> and from that it provided the locally relevant BBC and ITV channels.
>
> That wouldn't work for us.
>
> We're on the side of a hill with LoS to a transmitter in the _next_
> region, so a loft aerial works fine. It only matters for the local news,
> but it would confuse any postcode based lookup.
>
> Andy

In that situation I would use a postcode for the region I did want to
watch. There are no checks on whether what you enter is true.

Jim

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<sicbu2$lj6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26647&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26647

From: ipl...@channel7.television (Ivan Plapp)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 10:25:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ivan Plapp - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 10:25 UTC

On 20 Sep 2021 at 07:58:49 BST, "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Indy Jess John wrote:
>
> When I did the scan, it noticed the transmitters were in different
> regions, and asked which I wanted, probably I'd have picked
> eastmids/central rather than yorks.

This sounds like Belmont and Waltham - I can't think of a place where you can
receive both with the same antenna where you wouldn't pick EastMids / Central

--
Is something brilliant happening?

Re: Duplicate LCNs

<iquj67Fpbk5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26657&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26657

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:30:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:30 UTC

Ivan Plapp wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Indy Jess John wrote:
>>
>> When I did the scan, it noticed the transmitters were in different
>> regions, and asked which I wanted, probably I'd have picked
>> eastmids/central rather than yorks.
>
> This sounds like Belmont and Waltham

correct

> I can't think of a place where you can
> receive both with the same antenna

Indeed the two transmitters are pretty much 90° apart from my parents house,
never the less, both give perfect reception, digital huh?

Unlike my own house, where if you keep on going past Waltham you get to Belmont
in a straight line.

> where you wouldn't pick EastMids / Central

I did pick East Mids/Central, as that was traditionally what we tuned to (after
we stopped receiving Anglia, that is) and didn't really like receiving Calendar etc.