aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

SubjectAuthor
* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineMuttley
`* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineLew 1
 `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineGB
  +* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineLew 1
  |+- Roaring rails on the jubilee linehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
  |`* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineRecliner
  | `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineColinR
  |  `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineLew 1
  |   +- Roaring rails on the jubilee lineCharles Ellson
  |   `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineRecliner
  |    `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineCharles Ellson
  |     `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineRecliner
  |      `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineCharles Ellson
  |       `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineRecliner
  |        `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineCharles Ellson
  |         +* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineRecliner
  |         |`- Roaring rails on the jubilee lineCharles Ellson
  |         `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineMarland
  |          `* Roaring rails on the jubilee lineRecliner
  |           `- Roaring rails on the jubilee lineCharles Ellson
  `- Roaring rails on the jubilee lineMuttley

1
Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1kote$1o7p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26289&group=uk.railway#26289

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Subject: Roaring rails on the jubilee line
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:59:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:59 UTC

Do LU do their rail grinding regularly or can this be cause by poor rail
grinding? The noise was absolutely appalling today between london bridge and
canada water to the point where I had to put fingers in my ears briefly.
I realise the concrete track and close tunnel walls don't help , but even so
it was a disgrace.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<1954552234.669923622.070239.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26341&group=uk.railway#26341

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:54:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew 1 - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:54 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> Do LU do their rail grinding regularly or can this be cause by poor rail
> grinding? The noise was absolutely appalling today between london bridge and
> canada water to the point where I had to put fingers in my ears briefly.
> I realise the concrete track and close tunnel walls don't help , but even so
> it was a disgrace.

Similarly between Baker Street and Finchley Road. It’s actively painful.

Lew

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1l021$lrs$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26346&group=uk.railway#26346

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:01:38 +0000
 by: GB - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:01 UTC

On 25/03/2022 17:54, Lew 1 wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> Do LU do their rail grinding regularly or can this be cause by poor rail
>> grinding? The noise was absolutely appalling today between london bridge and
>> canada water to the point where I had to put fingers in my ears briefly.
>> I realise the concrete track and close tunnel walls don't help , but even so
>> it was a disgrace.
>
> Similarly between Baker Street and Finchley Road. It’s actively painful.
>
> Lew

Ahem :

https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-underground-northern-line-tracks-21061932

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<102048679.669928592.089571.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26359&group=uk.railway#26359

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 19:18:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew 1 - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 19:18 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 17:54, Lew 1 wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> Do LU do their rail grinding regularly or can this be cause by poor rail
>>> grinding? The noise was absolutely appalling today between london bridge and
>>> canada water to the point where I had to put fingers in my ears briefly.
>>> I realise the concrete track and close tunnel walls don't help , but even so
>>> it was a disgrace.
>>
>> Similarly between Baker Street and Finchley Road. It’s actively painful.
>>
>> Lew
>>

> Ahem :
>
> https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-underground-northern-line-tracks-210619

That article talks about screeching rails on the Northern Line… the Jubilee
line seems to suffer from a different (but no less unpleasant) noise - a
loud and continuous roar in certain sections.

Lew

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1litt$1ou6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26391&group=uk.railway#26391

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:23:41 +0000
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:23 UTC

On 25/03/2022 19:18, Lew 1 wrote:
> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Similarly between Baker Street and Finchley Road. It’s actively painful.
>>>
>>> Lew
>>>

>> Ahem :
>>
>> https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-underground-northern-line-tracks-210619
>
> That article talks about screeching rails on the Northern Line… the Jubilee
> line seems to suffer from a different (but no less unpleasant) noise - a
> loud and continuous roar in certain sections.
>
> Lew

Have you ever been to the South Ferry Loop when it was still open to
passengers?

I think that this was one reason why New York City Transit finally
decided to build a separate station.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1lk3l$cch$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26393&group=uk.railway#26393

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:43:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gBkt8Bwaf1mhKNrwvbDWS8GTMFw=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:43 UTC

Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:
> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Similarly between Baker Street and Finchley Road. It’s actively painful.
>>>
>>> Lew
>>>

>> Ahem :
>>
>> https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-underground-northern-line-tracks-210619
>
> That article talks about screeching rails on the Northern Line… the Jubilee
> line seems to suffer from a different (but no less unpleasant) noise - a
> loud and continuous roar in certain sections.

Yes, that seems to occur on newer tunnels, even if they're straight, for
example, the Piccadilly line to T5. It sounds like some sort of resonance
in smooth, modern concrete tunnels.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1mol4$1jpo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26416&group=uk.railway#26416

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:07:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:07 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:01:38 +0000
GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>On 25/03/2022 17:54, Lew 1 wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> Do LU do their rail grinding regularly or can this be cause by poor rail
>>> grinding? The noise was absolutely appalling today between london bridge and
>
>>> canada water to the point where I had to put fingers in my ears briefly.
>>> I realise the concrete track and close tunnel walls don't help , but even so
>
>>> it was a disgrace.
>>
>> Similarly between Baker Street and Finchley Road. It’s actively painful.
>>
>> Lew
>>

>Ahem :
>
>https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-underground-northern-line-tra
>cks-21061932

Its fair enough on curved track, but on the jubilee it was on straight track
so really no excuses.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1n3g1$1g2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26433&group=uk.railway#26433

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 13:12:34 +0000
 by: ColinR - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 13:12 UTC

On 25/03/2022 23:43, Recliner wrote:
> Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

>>> Ahem :
>>>
>>> https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-underground-northern-line-tracks-210619
>>
>> That article talks about screeching rails on the Northern Line… the Jubilee
>> line seems to suffer from a different (but no less unpleasant) noise - a
>> loud and continuous roar in certain sections.
>>

> Yes, that seems to occur on newer tunnels, even if they're straight, for
> example, the Piccadilly line to T5. It sounds like some sort of resonance
> in smooth, modern concrete tunnels.

Seems logical. In old tunnels there were wooden sleepers and ballast to
absorb sound (even layers of dirt!). Modern concrete tunnels do not have
any natural absorbent features so the noises naturally generated by
steel on steel have nowhere to go.

--
Colin

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<1440197647.670011604.252521.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26463&group=uk.railway#26463

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:23:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew 1 - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:23 UTC

ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 23:43, Recliner wrote:

>>> That article talks about screeching rails on the Northern Line… the Jubilee
>>> line seems to suffer from a different (but no less unpleasant) noise - a
>>> loud and continuous roar in certain sections.
>>>

>> Yes, that seems to occur on newer tunnels, even if they're straight, for
>> example, the Piccadilly line to T5. It sounds like some sort of resonance
>> in smooth, modern concrete tunnels.
>>

> Seems logical. In old tunnels there were wooden sleepers and ballast to
> absorb sound (even layers of dirt!). Modern concrete tunnels do not have
> any natural absorbent features so the noises naturally generated by
> steel on steel have nowhere to go.

Doesn’t explain Baker Street to Finchley Road… now I think about it, it
seems to be the Northbound direction that I find particularly ghastly. I
wonder if they have altered something in that tunnel over the years?

Lew

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<dj3v3hdqi481bumtaarhcn1p1gm1t9bpu0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26481&group=uk.railway#26481

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 22:08:32 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 22:08 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:23:52 -0000 (UTC), Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yes, that seems to occur on newer tunnels, even if they're straight, for
>>> example, the Piccadilly line to T5. It sounds like some sort of resonance
>>> in smooth, modern concrete tunnels.
>>>

>> Seems logical. In old tunnels there were wooden sleepers and ballast to
>> absorb sound (even layers of dirt!). Modern concrete tunnels do not have
>> any natural absorbent features so the noises naturally generated by
>> steel on steel have nowhere to go.
>
>Doesn’t explain Baker Street to Finchley Road… now I think about it, it
>seems to be the Northbound direction that I find particularly ghastly. I
>wonder if they have altered something in that tunnel over the years?

IIRC that noise came on rather suddenly, suggesting either new rails
with a different profile or the profile being re-ground.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1o7v8$mj1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26483&group=uk.railway#26483

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 23:35:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CMXkV7+NUIU9FAypf4siO7Z/AyI=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 23:35 UTC

Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:
> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yes, that seems to occur on newer tunnels, even if they're straight, for
>>> example, the Piccadilly line to T5. It sounds like some sort of resonance
>>> in smooth, modern concrete tunnels.
>>>

>> Seems logical. In old tunnels there were wooden sleepers and ballast to
>> absorb sound (even layers of dirt!). Modern concrete tunnels do not have
>> any natural absorbent features so the noises naturally generated by
>> steel on steel have nowhere to go.
>
> Doesn’t explain Baker Street to Finchley Road… now I think about it, it
> seems to be the Northbound direction that I find particularly ghastly. I
> wonder if they have altered something in that tunnel over the years?

Is some of that tunnel new? When the Jubilee and Bakerloo lines were
separated, didn't the Jubilee get new tunnels at the Baker St end?

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<n0j14h5ob5p74dfr1epdukjs4hv8crimg8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26566&group=uk.railway#26566

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:47:05 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:47 UTC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 23:35:04 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Lew 1 <email@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Seems logical. In old tunnels there were wooden sleepers and ballast to
>>> absorb sound (even layers of dirt!). Modern concrete tunnels do not have
>>> any natural absorbent features so the noises naturally generated by
>>> steel on steel have nowhere to go.
>>
>> Doesn’t explain Baker Street to Finchley Road… now I think about it, it
>> seems to be the Northbound direction that I find particularly ghastly. I
>> wonder if they have altered something in that tunnel over the years?
>>

>Is some of that tunnel new? When the Jubilee and Bakerloo lines were
>separated, didn't the Jubilee get new tunnels at the Baker St end?

One new platform. There were already two southbound platforms
pre-Jubilee Line to prevent southbound Bakerloo trains queuing to
unload at Baker Street.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<rsd34hlooav9bg69qarf8hhe06j7otfmdo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26644&group=uk.railway#26644

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:01 +0100
 by: Recliner - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:29 UTC

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:47:05 +0100, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 23:35:04 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
><recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Doesn’t explain Baker Street to Finchley Road… now I think about it, it
>>> seems to be the Northbound direction that I find particularly ghastly. I
>>> wonder if they have altered something in that tunnel over the years?
>>>

>>Is some of that tunnel new? When the Jubilee and Bakerloo lines were
>>separated, didn't the Jubilee get new tunnels at the Baker St end?
>>
>One new platform. There were already two southbound platforms
>pre-Jubilee Line to prevent southbound Bakerloo trains queuing to
>unload at Baker Street.

Yes, you're right.

I wonder if there were any other major changes made to the tunnels as part of the conversion to the Jubilee line?

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<kbt34hpnco9jfjjm2r2q97p68s6pbla7om@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26665&group=uk.railway#26665

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:54:13 +0100
References: <t1kote$1o7p$1@gioia.aioe.org> <1954552234.669923622.070239.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1l021$lrs$3@dont-email.me> <102048679.669928592.089571.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1lk3l$cch$1@dont-email.me> <t1n3g1$1g2$1@dont-email.me> <1440197647.670011604.252521.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1o7v8$mj1$1@dont-email.me> <n0j14h5ob5p74dfr1epdukjs4hv8crimg8@4ax.com> <rsd34hlooav9bg69qarf8hhe06j7otfmdo@4ax.com>
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:54 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:01 +0100, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:47:05 +0100, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 23:35:04 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>><recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Is some of that tunnel new? When the Jubilee and Bakerloo lines were
>>>separated, didn't the Jubilee get new tunnels at the Baker St end?
>>>
>>One new platform. There were already two southbound platforms
>>pre-Jubilee Line to prevent southbound Bakerloo trains queuing to
>>unload at Baker Street.
>
>Yes, you're right.
>
>I wonder if there were any other major changes made to the tunnels as part of the conversion to the Jubilee line?

Apart from the new bit of tunnel and the additional platform, none
that I am aware of. My recollection is that the "noise" has only
arisen in relatively more recent times.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1t8cr$n9j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26682&group=uk.railway#26682

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:12:59 -0000 (UTC)
<kbt34hpnco9jfjjm2r2q97p68s6pbla7om@4ax.com>
sha1:+qu6j9EEicTEJ8i4/01V5R6VYZk=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:12 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:01 +0100, Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:47:05 +0100, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> One new platform. There were already two southbound platforms
>>> pre-Jubilee Line to prevent southbound Bakerloo trains queuing to
>>> unload at Baker Street.
>>
>> Yes, you're right.
>>
>> I wonder if there were any other major changes made to the tunnels as
>> part of the conversion to the Jubilee line?
>>
> Apart from the new bit of tunnel and the additional platform, none
> that I am aware of. My recollection is that the "noise" has only
> arisen in relatively more recent times.

Perhaps they've replaced the track, and used a new design of mounting or
clip?

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<l8g44h5lbl9ih4v9lvf9nqj1o0uroelruk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26693&group=uk.railway#26693

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:17:29 +0100
References: <1954552234.669923622.070239.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1l021$lrs$3@dont-email.me> <102048679.669928592.089571.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1lk3l$cch$1@dont-email.me> <t1n3g1$1g2$1@dont-email.me> <1440197647.670011604.252521.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1o7v8$mj1$1@dont-email.me> <n0j14h5ob5p74dfr1epdukjs4hv8crimg8@4ax.com> <rsd34hlooav9bg69qarf8hhe06j7otfmdo@4ax.com> <kbt34hpnco9jfjjm2r2q97p68s6pbla7om@4ax.com> <t1t8cr$n9j$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:17 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:12:59 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:01 +0100, Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, you're right.
>>>
>>> I wonder if there were any other major changes made to the tunnels as
>>> part of the conversion to the Jubilee line?
>>>
>> Apart from the new bit of tunnel and the additional platform, none
>> that I am aware of. My recollection is that the "noise" has only
>> arisen in relatively more recent times.
>>

>Perhaps they've replaced the track, and used a new design of mounting or
>clip?

I would have gone for re-profiled (including rail replacement) or
re-ground. It seems like a worse version of what you get going a very
tight curve at low speed. Looking at it the other way, has the wheel
profile of Jubilee Line trains been changed?

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1tg20$fin$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26695&group=uk.railway#26695

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:23:44 -0000 (UTC)
<t1t8cr$n9j$1@dont-email.me>
<l8g44h5lbl9ih4v9lvf9nqj1o0uroelruk@4ax.com>
sha1:kDCwVa0//Ern+gvKDyIEDTeLfQE=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:23 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:12:59 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Apart from the new bit of tunnel and the additional platform, none
>>> that I am aware of. My recollection is that the "noise" has only
>>> arisen in relatively more recent times.
>>>

>> Perhaps they've replaced the track, and used a new design of mounting or
>> clip?
>>
> I would have gone for re-profiled (including rail replacement) or
> re-ground. It seems like a worse version of what you get going a very
> tight curve at low speed. Looking at it the other way, has the wheel
> profile of Jubilee Line trains been changed?

I really doubt that the wheel profile of the trains will have changed.
Aren't the trains maintained by Alstom?

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<jaeumvF9askU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26696&group=uk.railway#26696

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 28 Mar 2022 23:29:35 GMT
<t1t8cr$n9j$1@dont-email.me>
<l8g44h5lbl9ih4v9lvf9nqj1o0uroelruk@4ax.com>
 by: Marland - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:29 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:12:59 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Apart from the new bit of tunnel and the additional platform, none
>>> that I am aware of. My recollection is that the "noise" has only
>>> arisen in relatively more recent times.
>>>

>> Perhaps they've replaced the track, and used a new design of mounting or
>> clip?
>>
> I would have gone for re-profiled (including rail replacement) or
> re-ground. It seems like a worse version of what you get going a very
> tight curve at low speed. Looking at it the other way, has the wheel
> profile of Jubilee Line trains been changed?

Wouldn’t re profiled wheels be noisy on more than just a couple of
sections?

GH

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<m9h44h5bhuimkoeu5souimiiukutnflofi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26697&group=uk.railway#26697

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:45:22 +0100
References: <t1l021$lrs$3@dont-email.me> <102048679.669928592.089571.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1lk3l$cch$1@dont-email.me> <t1n3g1$1g2$1@dont-email.me> <1440197647.670011604.252521.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1o7v8$mj1$1@dont-email.me> <n0j14h5ob5p74dfr1epdukjs4hv8crimg8@4ax.com> <rsd34hlooav9bg69qarf8hhe06j7otfmdo@4ax.com> <kbt34hpnco9jfjjm2r2q97p68s6pbla7om@4ax.com> <t1t8cr$n9j$1@dont-email.me> <l8g44h5lbl9ih4v9lvf9nqj1o0uroelruk@4ax.com> <t1tg20$fin$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:45 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:23:44 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:12:59 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Perhaps they've replaced the track, and used a new design of mounting or
>>> clip?
>>>
>> I would have gone for re-profiled (including rail replacement) or
>> re-ground. It seems like a worse version of what you get going a very
>> tight curve at low speed. Looking at it the other way, has the wheel
>> profile of Jubilee Line trains been changed?
>>

>I really doubt that the wheel profile of the trains will have changed.
>Aren't the trains maintained by Alstom?

I was allowing for the two possible ways that the rail v. wheel
interface might have changed at that point. Apparently there are ar
least two profiles in use on LU:-
https://puretest.hud.ac.uk/files/17710748/Part_F_CM2018_Revised_Paper_07062019_Final.pdf
"The majority of LUL stocks operate using an LT5 wheel profile, whilst
a number of legacy fleets still operate with the former LT3 profile"

Google only seems to show up complaints about noise elsewhere on the
Jubilee Line (e.g. Canning Town and Kingsbury) and various articles on
the noise from the trains' electronics. This seems strange as the
stretch north of Baker Street is the only one where I have seen
passengers sticking their fingers in their ears to mitigate the noise.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<t1thet$o3g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26699&group=uk.railway#26699

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:47:41 -0000 (UTC)
<t1t8cr$n9j$1@dont-email.me>
<l8g44h5lbl9ih4v9lvf9nqj1o0uroelruk@4ax.com>
<jaeumvF9askU1@mid.individual.net>
sha1:0xGAb1dOb/2q2lu4Askirq/38Hk=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:47 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:12:59 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Perhaps they've replaced the track, and used a new design of mounting or
>>> clip?
>>>
>> I would have gone for re-profiled (including rail replacement) or
>> re-ground. It seems like a worse version of what you get going a very
>> tight curve at low speed. Looking at it the other way, has the wheel
>> profile of Jubilee Line trains been changed?
>>

> Wouldn’t re profiled wheels be noisy on more than just a couple of
> sections?

Yes, good point. The noise must be due to some change in that section of
tunnel.

Re: Roaring rails on the jubilee line

<5ci44hh99qens1c0glvpqsfjathvhbhv1s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26700&group=uk.railway#26700

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:56:44 +0100
References: <102048679.669928592.089571.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1lk3l$cch$1@dont-email.me> <t1n3g1$1g2$1@dont-email.me> <1440197647.670011604.252521.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org> <t1o7v8$mj1$1@dont-email.me> <n0j14h5ob5p74dfr1epdukjs4hv8crimg8@4ax.com> <rsd34hlooav9bg69qarf8hhe06j7otfmdo@4ax.com> <kbt34hpnco9jfjjm2r2q97p68s6pbla7om@4ax.com> <t1t8cr$n9j$1@dont-email.me> <l8g44h5lbl9ih4v9lvf9nqj1o0uroelruk@4ax.com> <jaeumvF9askU1@mid.individual.net> <t1thet$o3g$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:56 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:47:41 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> I would have gone for re-profiled (including rail replacement) or
>>> re-ground. It seems like a worse version of what you get going a very
>>> tight curve at low speed. Looking at it the other way, has the wheel
>>> profile of Jubilee Line trains been changed?
>>>

>> Wouldn’t re profiled wheels be noisy on more than just a couple of
>> sections?
>>

>Yes, good point. The noise must be due to some change in that section of
>tunnel.

.... or that stretch of track is the only one with e.g. an unfortunate
combination of radius and wheel and/or rail profile of sufficient
length to produce the noticeable effect. Having found mention of
complaints from people neighbouring another curve near Kingsbury (but
not on a tube section) it looks like it could be the similar
combination of several factors at the two locations.