Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 19:56:39 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Subject: Bilsdale: Sutton Bank coverage of Leyburn area - works fine for
Bellerby
 by: NY - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:56 UTC

My parents have a holiday cottage east of Bellerby (postcode DL8 5JS)
and they are there at the moment. They have reported to me that they are
receiving TV fine (presumably from Sutton Bank) on the Bilsdale
frequencies and using an aerial pointing at and designed for Bilsdale.

They didn't need to retune (which is how I know it's on the Bilsdale
frequencies). The only thing they had to do was do get an aerial
amplifier (*) between the wall socket and the TV (ie not a masthead
amplifier) - presumably because Sutton Bank is much lower power than
Bilsdale was. Apparently some people in Leyburn (especially the south
and south west off the A6108 Middleham and the A684 West Witton roads
where the land slopes away and the hill on which Leyburn stands gets in
the way) are still having problems - a combination of lower power and
much lower transmitter aerial height above sea level.

So it sounds as if despite the Sutton Bank aerial pointing mainly
south-west towards Ripon and Harrogate, there is enough signal reaching
the higher ground of Wensleydale around Bedale and the east of Leyburn
to get a usable signal.

My parents actually commented "it's a very good picture - maybe better
than it used to be" ;-)

They have a TV which is capable of receiving DVB-T2/HD, though whether
they use BBC1 and ITV HD in preference to SD is another matter.

(*) When we lived there for a year, between selling our old house and
buying our present one, I found that a cheap multi-output cheap
amplifier was necessary even with the signal from Bilsdale. The
unamplified signal would not drive a two-way splitter, one leg feeding
the TV and the other one split again to feed two DVB-USB tuners for my
Raspberry Pi PVR - I tried the simple solution that worked at our
previous house which was much closer to Bilsdale, before dismissing it
as unworkable and needing a proper solution of a multi-output amplifier.