Rule #1: The Boss is always right. Rule #2: If the Boss is wrong, see Rule #1.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Channel 5 lack of subtitles

SubjectAuthor
* Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMartin
+* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMark Carver
|+* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesNY
||+* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMark Carver
|||+- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlescharles
|||`* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesPete Forman
||| `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMark Carver
|||  `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesBrian Gregory
|||   `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMark Carver
|||    `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMartin
|||     `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMark Carver
|||      +- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMartin
|||      `- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMike
||`* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesPaul Ratcliffe
|| `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesNY
||  `- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesTweed
|`* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMartin
| `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesTweed
|  +- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesIndy Jess John
|  +* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesDickie mint
|  |+* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMax Demian
|  ||+- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesTweed
|  ||`* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesAndy Burns
|  || `- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMartin
|  |`- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesTweed
|  +* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesNY
|  |`* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesSn!pe
|  | +* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesIndy Jess John
|  | |`* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMartin
|  | | `- [OT] Core Store et. al. (Was: Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles)Sn!pe
|  | `* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMB
|  |  `- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesNorman Wells
|  `- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMB
`* Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesDickie mint
 `- Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitlesMartin

Pages:12
Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<dthdlglmchm7o5074jr822pq03o95tobm0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26901&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26901

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Channel 5 lack of subtitles
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 10:33:50 +0200
 by: Martin - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 08:33 UTC

Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<iro1rnFlpslU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26908&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26908

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:14:31 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:14 UTC

On 01/10/2021 09:33, Martin wrote:
> Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.
Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong etc
because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj735s$7be$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26917&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26917

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:40:53 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:40 UTC

"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 01/10/2021 09:33, Martin wrote:
>> Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.
> Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong etc
> because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.

Allegedly because the backup version is the video and audio streams only,
without the subtitle streams. I wonder why they chose to back up one without
the other. Programmes which do have subtitles are being done on-the-fly at
the moment, presumably by someone re-speaking the dialogue/narration into a
voice-recognition computer, as for live programmes. You'd think if the
subtitles were known to be missing, someone would do the re-speaking a
little *in advance*, correcting any mis-hearings, so they were ready and
synchronised in time for broadcast. I'm always amazed that even news
bulletins are generated on-the-fly, given that the newsreader's autocue
words are prepared in advance and could be fed to the subtitle stream, and a
news reporter usually writes his words in advance (even if only a few
minutes before) so he can time the words to the pictures and can speak
fluently and not hesitantly, off-the-cuff; it doesn't take much for that
Word file to be sent along with the video file. Obviously there will be some
live reports where the reporter *is* speaking off the cuff, and on-the-fly
generation of subtitles is needed for that.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<iroj6hFp4d9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26918&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26918

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 15:10:24 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:10 UTC

On 01/10/2021 14:40, NY wrote:
> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 01/10/2021 09:33, Martin wrote:
>>> Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.
>> Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong
>> etc because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.
>
> Allegedly because the backup version is the video and audio streams
> only, without the subtitle streams. I wonder why they chose to back up
> one without the other.

It's possible the back up files of the programmes that are lacking
subtitles, are versions pre the subtitles being composed.
Were any recorded programmes from Saturday evening/Sunday morning having
these on-the-fly subtitles too I wonder ?

If not, it might indicate the programmes that the DR site had were up to
date (because the DR site would have been constantly mirroring the next
24hrs worth of material), but the DR site ran our of up to date
programme files after Sunday.
It's unprecedented I think in UK broadcasting history to still be on DR
six days after a catastrophe

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<5974a24903charles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26921&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26921

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 15:53:41 +0100
 by: charles - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:53 UTC

In article <iroj6hFp4d9U1@mid.individual.net>,
Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 01/10/2021 14:40, NY wrote:
> > "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong
> >> etc because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.
> >
> > Allegedly because the backup version is the video and audio streams
> > only, without the subtitle streams. I wonder why they chose to back up
> > one without the other.

> It's possible the back up files of the programmes that are lacking
> subtitles, are versions pre the subtitles being composed.
> Were any recorded programmes from Saturday evening/Sunday morning having
> these on-the-fly subtitles too I wonder ?

> If not, it might indicate the programmes that the DR site had were up to
> date (because the DR site would have been constantly mirroring the next
> 24hrs worth of material), but the DR site ran our of up to date
> programme files after Sunday.
> It's unprecedented I think in UK broadcasting history to still be on DR
> six days after a catastrophe

That the penalty for 'contracting out'.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<irott5Fr4u4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26923&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26923

From: richard_...@yahoo.co.uk (Dickie mint)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 18:13:09 +0100
 by: Dickie mint - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:13 UTC

On 01/10/2021 09:33, Martin wrote:
> Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.

A useful site collecting info:

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/

(no connection)

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<87h7dzex63.fsf@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26928&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26928

From: petef4+u...@gmail.com (Pete Forman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 07:52:04 +0100
sha1:Zx0qOzB0FHeRkoOj4JwPFh1Y3rw=
 by: Pete Forman - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 06:52 UTC

Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes:

> On 01/10/2021 14:40, NY wrote:
>> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong
>>> etc because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.
>>
>> Allegedly because the backup version is the video and audio streams
>> only, without the subtitle streams. I wonder why they chose to back
>> up one without the other.
>
> It's possible the back up files of the programmes that are lacking
> subtitles, are versions pre the subtitles being composed.
> Were any recorded programmes from Saturday evening/Sunday morning
> having these on-the-fly subtitles too I wonder ?
>
> If not, it might indicate the programmes that the DR site had were up
> to date (because the DR site would have been constantly mirroring the
> next 24hrs worth of material), but the DR site ran our of up to date
> programme files after Sunday.
> It's unprecedented I think in UK broadcasting history to still be on
> DR six days after a catastrophe

It's not just files. The Last Leg on C4 last night was live. They
apologised for the lack of subtitles.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<r26glglnua0ucses6mqchp6qdubs42iuag@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26932&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26932

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 10:30:12 +0200
 by: Martin - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 08:30 UTC

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:14:31 +0100, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 01/10/2021 09:33, Martin wrote:
>> Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.
>Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong etc
>because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.

As far as I could see only Channel5 has none at all.It was the same again last
night.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj95mm$5mk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26933&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26933

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 08:36:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RNC/TnGzJlJH27wzqlXkfrfWlLA=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 08:36 UTC

Martin <me@address.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:14:31 +0100, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 01/10/2021 09:33, Martin wrote:
>>> Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.
>> Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong etc
>> because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.
>>

> As far as I could see only Channel5 has none at all.It was the same again last
> night.

There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj962a$724$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26934&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26934

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 09:42:50 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 08:42 UTC

On 02/10/2021 09:36, Tweed wrote:

> There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
> systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
> trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.

Whatever happened to the normal practice of having full data back-ups in
a remote location in case of disaster?

Jim

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<irql9qF6hauU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26936&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26936

From: richard_...@yahoo.co.uk (Dickie mint)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 09:58:35 +0100
 by: Dickie mint - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 08:58 UTC

On 02/10/2021 09:36, Tweed wrote:
snip
> There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
> systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
> trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.

It's been said elsewhere the hard drives are sealed. Someone else has
said the inert gas is injected at high pressure and it's this which has
damaged plant.

Hard drives might be sealed, but what about power supplies, wiring
blocks, etc?

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj97eh$grp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26937&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26937

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:06:47 +0100
 by: NY - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 09:06 UTC

"Tweed" <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Martin <me@address.invalid> wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:14:31 +0100, Mark Carver
>> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Subtitles on BBC, C4, and C5 are currently messed up/missing/wrong etc
>>> because of the Red Bee fire on Saturday.
>>>

>> As far as I could see only Channel5 has none at all.It was the same again
>> last
>> night.
>
> There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
> systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
> trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.

My thoughts exactly. I had no idea that fire-suppression systems caused "a
mini tornado" that could damage equipment. And I thought the only reason
that Halon systems had to be locked out of use while people were in the room
was the suffocating effect of the gas, not due to its explosive discharge.
"Chocolate teapot", "own goal" and "not fit for purpose" spring to mind ;-)

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<309glgpoaebfk5oqgg6pkgtpe1s6asotf5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26940&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26940

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 11:19:24 +0200
 by: Martin - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 09:19 UTC

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 18:13:09 +0100, Dickie mint <richard_taylor01@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 01/10/2021 09:33, Martin wrote:
>> Strange that the current series about D Day has no subtitles.
>>
>A useful site collecting info:
>
>https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/
>
>(no connection)

Thank you Dickie
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj9aep$3n5$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26942&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26942

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:58:42 +0100
 by: MB - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 09:58 UTC

On 02/10/2021 09:36, Tweed wrote:
> There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
> systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
> trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.

There is going to be a lot of rethinking about many things though the
crunch will be whether viewing have dropped much i.e. how many bums on
seats for the adverts.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj9ck5$7br$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26944&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26944

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 11:34:41 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:34 UTC

On 02/10/2021 09:58, Dickie mint wrote:
> On 02/10/2021 09:36, Tweed wrote:

>> There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
>> systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
>> trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.
>>
> It's been said elsewhere the hard drives are sealed. Someone else has
> said the inert gas is injected at high pressure and it's this which has
> damaged plant.
>
> Hard drives might be sealed, but what about power supplies, wiring
> blocks, etc?

I don't think that hard drives *are* sealed. I think they are vented
with a filter at the vent.

--
Max Demian

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj9cq1$l3h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26945&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26945

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:37:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ITn9WsGkiKyD06uCaxXyHoiqp+o=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:37 UTC

Dickie mint <richard_taylor01@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/10/2021 09:36, Tweed wrote:
> snip
>> There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
>> systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
>> trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.
>>
> It's been said elsewhere the hard drives are sealed. Someone else has
> said the inert gas is injected at high pressure and it's this which has
> damaged plant.
>
> Hard drives might be sealed, but what about power supplies, wiring
> blocks, etc?

They might be sealed, but a shockwave must be similar to hitting them.
Mechanical drives don’t like sudden accelerations.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sj9css$lmj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26946&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26946

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:39:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:J36IWXx/Zw7YXeqhjSsh8PyTXOY=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:39 UTC

Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On 02/10/2021 09:58, Dickie mint wrote:
>> On 02/10/2021 09:36, Tweed wrote:
>
>>> There’s going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
>>> systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
>>> trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.
>>>
>> It's been said elsewhere the hard drives are sealed. Someone else has
>> said the inert gas is injected at high pressure and it's this which has
>> damaged plant.
>>
>> Hard drives might be sealed, but what about power supplies, wiring
>> blocks, etc?
>
> I don't think that hard drives *are* sealed. I think they are vented
> with a filter at the vent.

Some are sealed because they fill them with helium. That would get through
any filter.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<irrb91FamlsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26960&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26960

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 16:13:36 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:13 UTC

On 02/10/2021 07:52, Pete Forman wrote:
> Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> On 01/10/2021 14:40, NY wrote:
>>> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Allegedly because the backup version is the video and audio streams
>>> only, without the subtitle streams. I wonder why they chose to back
>>> up one without the other.
>> It's possible the back up files of the programmes that are lacking
>> subtitles, are versions pre the subtitles being composed.
>> Were any recorded programmes from Saturday evening/Sunday morning
>> having these on-the-fly subtitles too I wonder ?
>>
>> If not, it might indicate the programmes that the DR site had were up
>> to date (because the DR site would have been constantly mirroring the
>> next 24hrs worth of material), but the DR site ran our of up to date
>> programme files after Sunday.
>> It's unprecedented I think in UK broadcasting history to still be on
>> DR six days after a catastrophe
> It's not just files. The Last Leg on C4 last night was live. They
> apologised for the lack of subtitles.

Yes, C4 have had no subtitles at all I think since the incident. At
least the BBC have, but as discussed they are being done 'live' for pre
recorded stuff.

The BBC, C4, and C5 all have quite separate DR levels, methods and
locations.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<irthdhFnfdkU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26970&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26970

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:10:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 11:10 UTC

Max Demian wrote:

> Dickie mint wrote:
>
>> Hard drives might be sealed, but what about power supplies, wiring blocks, etc?
>
> I don't think that hard drives *are* sealed. I think they are vented with a
> filter at the vent.

Most are, but the helium filled drives are sealed

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<iru5i3Fr5jbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26976&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26976

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:54:27 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:54 UTC

On 02/10/2021 16:13, Mark Carver wrote:
> The BBC, C4, and C5 all have quite separate DR levels, methods and
> locations.

DR ??

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<iru7omFrm5hU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26977&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26977

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 18:32:06 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:32 UTC

On 03/10/2021 17:54, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 02/10/2021 16:13, Mark Carver wrote:
>> The BBC, C4, and C5 all have quite separate DR levels, methods and
>> locations.
>
> DR ??

Disaster Recovery

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<1pghvl8.16thk0a74fj6gN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26978&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26978

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 22:30:46 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 21:30 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

[...]

> > There's going to be a lot of rethinking of data centre fire suppression
> > systems around the world after this methinks. Having all your hard disks
> > trashed is only marginally better than the place being burned down.
>
> My thoughts exactly. I had no idea that fire-suppression systems caused "a
> mini tornado" that could damage equipment. And I thought the only reason
> that Halon systems had to be locked out of use while people were in the room
> was the suffocating effect of the gas, not due to its explosive discharge.
> "Chocolate teapot", "own goal" and "not fit for purpose" spring to mind ;-)

Back in the early '70s I worked adjacent to an ICL gas-burning* computer
room that had such a fire suppression system. The maintenance engineers
told me that if that system 'went off', the kinetic energy of the sudden
gas release would tear its pipework away from the cleats that held it to
the wall.

* gas-burning = valve (vacuum tube) computer.

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sje8a4$9th$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26979&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26979

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 07:51:47 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:51 UTC

On 03/10/2021 22:30, Sn!pe wrote:

> Back in the early '70s I worked adjacent to an ICL gas-burning* computer
> room that had such a fire suppression system.
>
> * gas-burning = valve (vacuum tube) computer.

That must have been an old one. The (IBM) computer I was programming in
1967 had core store, controlled by transistor circuits (no integrated
circuits in those days).

Mind you the ancillary machines used for handling punched cards were
valve controlled.

Jim

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<sjedmh$bh9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26980&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26980

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 09:24:42 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 08:24 UTC

On 03/10/2021 22:30, Sn!pe wrote:
> Back in the early '70s I worked adjacent to an ICL gas-burning* computer
> room that had such a fire suppression system. The maintenance engineers
> told me that if that system 'went off', the kinetic energy of the sudden
> gas release would tear its pipework away from the cleats that held it to
> the wall.

We had CO2 in our diesel rooms at work, some were removed eventually so
we just set off the CO2 to empty the bottles. It was quite impressive
from outside the room!

Re: Channel 5 lack of subtitles

<irvu51F6uatU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26982&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26982

From: hex...@unseen.ac.am (Norman Wells)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:00:18 +0100
 by: Norman Wells - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 09:00 UTC

On 04/10/2021 09:24, MB wrote:
> On 03/10/2021 22:30, Sn!pe wrote:
>> Back in the early '70s I worked adjacent to an ICL gas-burning* computer
>> room that had such a fire suppression system.  The maintenance engineers
>> told me that if that system 'went off', the kinetic energy of the sudden
>> gas release would tear its pipework away from the cleats that held it to
>> the wall.
>
> We had CO2 in our diesel rooms at work, some were removed eventually so
> we just set off the CO2 to empty the bottles.  It was quite impressive
> from outside the room!

And that's just what they do to render many animals unconscious before
they're slaughtered. It's not very sensible.