24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square

SubjectAuthor
* Channel 5 on-screen black/white squareJNugent
+* Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white squareMark Carver
|`* Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white squareNY
| `- Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white squareRadicalRabbit
+- Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white squareRadicalRabbit
`- Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white squareDave W

1
Channel 5 on-screen black/white square

<iro5p3FmkdlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26912&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26912

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 11:21:23 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:21 UTC

There has been some discussion in other places of the small square
(diagonally divided white/black) near the top RH corner of the screen on C5.

Apparently, it indicates that the signal comes from a back-up site
(something to do with the recent breakdown at Red Bee). All I can say is
that you don't seem to get that annoying extra piece of screen litter on
the catch-up version (from Sky, at least - not sure yet about My5).

Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square

<iro64tFmmcoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26913&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26913

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 11:27:40 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:27 UTC

On 01/10/2021 11:21, JNugent wrote:
> There has been some discussion in other places of the small square
> (diagonally divided white/black) near the top RH corner of the screen
> on C5.
>
> Apparently, it indicates that the signal comes from a back-up site
> (something to do with the recent breakdown at Red Bee). All I can say
> is that you don't seem to get that annoying extra piece of screen
> litter on the catch-up version (from Sky, at least - not sure yet
> about My5).

 Catch up TV files are usually not taken from the broadcast playout
chains, but are derived directly from the native programme files.

Only in an emergency etc (and I think this is the case for C4's 'All4'
files, they are derived from the broadcast output)

Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square

<sj6pdu$1uht$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26914&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26914

From: RadicalR...@theburrow.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:54:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RadicalR...@theburrow.co.uk - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:54 UTC

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 11:21:23 +0100
JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>There has been some discussion in other places of the small square
>(diagonally divided white/black) near the top RH corner of the screen on C5.
>
>Apparently, it indicates that the signal comes from a back-up site
>(something to do with the recent breakdown at Red Bee). All I can say is
>that you don't seem to get that annoying extra piece of screen litter on
>the catch-up version (from Sky, at least - not sure yet about My5).

Wish someone could point that out to the BBC. Why are some programs on iPlayer
(eg click) recorded from the off air feed rather than being taken from the
original source? With click you get the news ticker from BBC News at the
bottom, on some other programs you get the continuity announcer at the start
and/or end. Its all a bit amateur hour sometimes.

Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square

<sj72mf$3js$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26916&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26916

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:32:40 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 13:32 UTC

"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 01/10/2021 11:21, JNugent wrote:
>> There has been some discussion in other places of the small square
>> (diagonally divided white/black) near the top RH corner of the screen on
>> C5.
>>
>> Apparently, it indicates that the signal comes from a back-up site
>> (something to do with the recent breakdown at Red Bee). All I can say is
>> that you don't seem to get that annoying extra piece of screen litter on
>> the catch-up version (from Sky, at least - not sure yet about My5).
>>
> Catch up TV files are usually not taken from the broadcast playout
> chains, but are derived directly from the native programme files.

Yes, very often if the broadcast version of a programme has the credits
shrunk at the end (in Channel 5's case, to an unreadable size), the catch-up
version of the programme is free of that modern annoyance: talking over and
shrinking the credits.

For some weird reason, although BBC TV programmes on iPlayer are accurately
top-and-tailed, without any continuity announcements and trailers, BBC
Sounds (radio programmes) are very often edited approximately as if they
have used the off-air version and allowed a bit of pre- and post-padding,
instead of using the raw programme file, converted to a web format.

Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square

<sj76ik$76s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26919&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26919

From: RadicalR...@theburrow.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:39:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RadicalR...@theburrow.co.uk - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:39 UTC

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 14:32:40 +0100
"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 01/10/2021 11:21, JNugent wrote:
>>> There has been some discussion in other places of the small square
>>> (diagonally divided white/black) near the top RH corner of the screen on
>>> C5.
>>>
>>> Apparently, it indicates that the signal comes from a back-up site
>>> (something to do with the recent breakdown at Red Bee). All I can say is
>>> that you don't seem to get that annoying extra piece of screen litter on
>>> the catch-up version (from Sky, at least - not sure yet about My5).
>>>
>> Catch up TV files are usually not taken from the broadcast playout
>> chains, but are derived directly from the native programme files.
>
>Yes, very often if the broadcast version of a programme has the credits
>shrunk at the end (in Channel 5's case, to an unreadable size), the catch-up
>version of the programme is free of that modern annoyance: talking over and
>shrinking the credits.
>
>For some weird reason, although BBC TV programmes on iPlayer are accurately
>top-and-tailed, without any continuity announcements and trailers, BBC

Really? You obviously haven't watched some of the programs I have.

Re: Channel 5 on-screen black/white square

<n6pelgdpv2cc8ciqnqd0esfsoicob792h4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26924&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#26924

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 20:46:21 +0100
 by: Dave W - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 19:46 UTC

wrote:
>There has been some discussion in other places of the small square
>(diagonally divided white/black) near the top RH corner of the screen on C5.
>
>Apparently, it indicates that the signal comes from a back-up site
>(something to do with the recent breakdown at Red Bee). All I can say is
>that you don't seem to get that annoying extra piece of screen litter on
>the catch-up version (from Sky, at least - not sure yet about My5).
I too have been wondering the reason for the square. I see it on all
branches of '5' channels (e.g. 5 Star), both Freesat and Freeview.
--
Dave W