From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Four containers and a lot of air
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:17:09 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 11:17 UTC

Yes, near Ely, but the train was running from Felixstowe to Yorkshire.

Several points to note, making it worth a look (I have plenty of similar
that aren't as worth posting). And yes, I haven't fixed the wobble yet,
and deliberately chose a low-res upload as it doesn't change much. [Jump
to 3:50 for the train]

Like many such trains I see these days, very lightly loaded. I wonder if
the supply chains are still disrupted. They look quite odd when the
handful of containers are at the rear.

Four and a half minutes - which seems like a lifetime - it was so much
more motorist-friendly when it was an AHB.

LIDAR obstacle detector lozenge clearly visible on the far right.

Only two out of three of the cars coming the other way managed to beat
the lights, and while there was a modest queue northbound by the end, I
counted eventually well over 50 cars behind me, in my rear view mirror

Overnight snow on the bonnet(s).

https://youtu.be/odyWdw_BVKo

--
Roland Perry

Re: Four containers and a lot of air

<t27171$709$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27021&group=uk.railway#27021

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Four containers and a lot of air
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:11:46 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:11 UTC

On 01/04/2022 12:17, Roland Perry wrote:
> Yes, near Ely, but the train was running from Felixstowe to Yorkshire.
>
> Several points to note, making it worth a look (I have plenty of similar
> that aren't as worth posting). And yes, I haven't fixed the wobble yet,
> and deliberately chose a low-res upload as it doesn't change much. [Jump
> to 3:50 for the train]
>
> Like many such trains I see these days, very lightly loaded. I wonder if
> the supply chains are still disrupted. They look quite odd when the
> handful of containers are at the rear.
>
> Four and a half minutes - which seems like a lifetime - it was so much
> more motorist-friendly when it was an AHB.
>
> LIDAR obstacle detector lozenge clearly visible on the far right.

Can I check if I understand the point. There was a gap of about 3.5
mins between the barrier coming down fully and the train arriving. Was
that to allow time for the train to stop if the Lidar detected an
obstacle on the crossing?

> Only two out of three of the cars coming the other way managed to beat
> the lights, and while there was a modest queue northbound by the end, I
> counted eventually well over 50 cars behind me, in my rear view mirror
>
> Overnight snow on the bonnet(s).
>
> https://youtu.be/odyWdw_BVKo

Re: Four containers and a lot of air

<u4FuIX0CSxRiFAcz@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27029&group=uk.railway#27029

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 16:04:34 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:04 UTC

In message <t27171$709$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:11:46 on Fri, 1 Apr 2022,
GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> remarked:
>On 01/04/2022 12:17, Roland Perry wrote:
>> Yes, near Ely, but the train was running from Felixstowe to Yorkshire.
>> Several points to note, making it worth a look (I have plenty of
>>similar that aren't as worth posting). And yes, I haven't fixed the
>>wobble yet, and deliberately chose a low-res upload as it doesn't
>>change much. [Jump to 3:50 for the train]
>> Like many such trains I see these days, very lightly loaded. I
>>wonder if the supply chains are still disrupted. They look quite odd
>>when the handful of containers are at the rear.
>> Four and a half minutes - which seems like a lifetime - it was so
>>much more motorist-friendly when it was an AHB.
>> LIDAR obstacle detector lozenge clearly visible on the far right.
>
>Can I check if I understand the point. There was a gap of about 3.5
>mins between the barrier coming down fully and the train arriving. Was
>that to allow time for the train to stop if the Lidar detected an
>obstacle on the crossing?

That's not how these crossings work. There's a signal protecting the
crossing (919 perhaps, the crossover is 1.8km east of the crossing and I
can see what's probably the shadow on a signal on Google Maps 1.2km from
the crossing and another 250m away)

https://goo.gl/maps/YvFDSv1b6eNZZMHH8
https://goo.gl/maps/HgVSuDNAMUD4jkYUA
<https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/sbr#T_ELYY>

and the sequence, AFAIK is:

Signaller drops the barriers in anticipation (or is it an axle counter
near perhaps s911.)
LIDAR checks there isn't an obstruction
Automatic system clears the protecting signal(s)
Train chuggs through without needing to slow down if 917 is showing
green as well as 919
Axle counter lifts the barriers when train has passed

[Open to corrections for any of the above]

The problem here is that all the trains (not just the freights) take
what seems like an age to arrive. It's slightly uphill.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Four containers and a lot of air

<t27ajr$g1r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27043&group=uk.railway#27043

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 16:52:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lrIfxYZI5NXyJYBdngORWa04WsY=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 16:52 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> On 01/04/2022 12:17, Roland Perry wrote:
>> Yes, near Ely, but the train was running from Felixstowe to Yorkshire.
>>
>> Several points to note, making it worth a look (I have plenty of similar
>> that aren't as worth posting). And yes, I haven't fixed the wobble yet,
>> and deliberately chose a low-res upload as it doesn't change much. [Jump
>> to 3:50 for the train]
>>
>> Like many such trains I see these days, very lightly loaded. I wonder if
>> the supply chains are still disrupted. They look quite odd when the
>> handful of containers are at the rear.
>>
>> Four and a half minutes - which seems like a lifetime - it was so much
>> more motorist-friendly when it was an AHB.
>>
>> LIDAR obstacle detector lozenge clearly visible on the far right.
>
> Can I check if I understand the point. There was a gap of about 3.5
> mins between the barrier coming down fully and the train arriving. Was
> that to allow time for the train to stop if the Lidar detected an
> obstacle on the crossing?

AHB crossings work on, basically, trust and hope that the crossing won't be
obstructed.

An OD crossing (LIDAR) works the same as the majority of other crossings
(ie staffed, CCTV) in that the crossing is interlocked with the signalling
system, and the crossing must be proved to be clear before the signals can
be cleared for the train.

How long that means the barriers will be down depends on local
circumstances, but assuming plain line ie no junctions or stations to
complicate matters, ideally you don't want the train driver to see a yellow
signal at all (unless it's a long straight bit of line).

Anna Noyd-Dryver