If it's worth doing, it's worth doing for money.

aus+uk / uk.railway / People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

SubjectAuthor
* People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamWeather or Not
`* People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamWeather or Not
 `* People on track between Wolverhampton and Birminghammartin.coffee
  +- People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamMB
  +- People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamRoland Perry
  +* People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamTweed
  |+- People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamRoland Perry
  |`- People on track between Wolverhampton and Birminghammartin.coffee
  +* People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamMarland
  |`* People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamTweed
  | `* People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamRoland Perry
  |  `- People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamRoland Perry
  `- People on track between Wolverhampton and BirminghamAnna Noyd-Dryver

1
People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<jat920F1ko9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27102&group=uk.railway#27102

From: weat...@gmail.com (Weather or Not)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 10:52:31 +0100
 by: Weather or Not - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 09:52 UTC

Yesterday evening, a train was halted between Wolverhampton and
Birmingham, because of football supporters from the Aston Villa v Wolves
match. It seems from the report people from several trains, got off the
trains and walked along the track, so all trains between Wolverhampton
and Birmingham were halted. It such situations, how do the police and
BTP handle people? Do the police waited at the next station along the
line, shepherd the people off the track, and out of the station onto the
street.

tinyurl.com/32ht4jck

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<jat9a8F1m8nU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27103&group=uk.railway#27103

From: weat...@gmail.com (Weather or Not)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 10:56:56 +0100
 by: Weather or Not - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 09:56 UTC

On 03/04/2022 10:52, Weather or Not wrote:
> Yesterday evening, a train was halted between Wolverhampton and
> Birmingham, because of football supporters from the Aston Villa v Wolves
> match. It seems from the report people from several trains, got off the
> trains and walked along the track, so all trains between Wolverhampton
> and Birmingham were halted. It such situations, how do the police and
> BTP handle people? Do the police wait at the next station along the
> line, shepherd the people off the track, and out of the station onto the
> street.
>
> tinyurl.com/32ht4jck

https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<t2bt7s$to2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27106&group=uk.railway#27106

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:33:13 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 10:33 UTC

On 03/04/2022 10:56, Weather or Not wrote:
> On 03/04/2022 10:52, Weather or Not wrote:
>> Yesterday evening, a train was halted between Wolverhampton and
>> Birmingham, because of football supporters from the Aston Villa v
>> Wolves match. It seems from the report people from several trains, got
>> off the trains and walked along the track, so all trains between
>> Wolverhampton and Birmingham were halted. It such situations, how do
>> the police and BTP handle people? Do the police wait at the next
>> station along the line, shepherd the people off the track, and out of
>> the station onto the street.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>

> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck

Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/

I never follow them.

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<t2bvgm$4rt$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27110&group=uk.railway#27110

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:13:26 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:13 UTC

On 03/04/2022 11:33, martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:
> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
> https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>
> I never follow them.

Considering that few of us are civil servant and the civil service's
general ignorance of computers, IT etc, I suspect that not many will pay
any attention to them.

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<bxSz6W3QXYSiFAyL@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27111&group=uk.railway#27111

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:32:32 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:32 UTC

In message <t2bt7s$to2$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:33:13 on Sun, 3 Apr 2022,
martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk remarked:
>On 03/04/2022 10:56, Weather or Not wrote:
>> On 03/04/2022 10:52, Weather or Not wrote:
>>> Yesterday evening, a train was halted between Wolverhampton and
>>>Birmingham, because of football supporters from the Aston Villa v
>>>Wolves match. It seems from the report people from several trains,
>>>got off the trains and walked along the track, so all trains between
>>>Wolverhampton and Birmingham were halted. It such situations, how do
>>>the police and BTP handle people? Do the police wait at the next
>>>station along the line, shepherd the people off the track, and out of
>>>the station onto the street.
>>>
>>> tinyurl.com/32ht4jck

>> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>
>Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
>https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-
>short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>
>I never follow them.

That's a very marketing-orientated view of short links. Not that I
disagree with it. But it's a top-level thing.

I take a more fundamental security-based view, and the two main problems
are the way the link provider is gathering data on who looked at which
content (not just who looked at the same thing, but associating who
hosted it and the viewers); and most are sending you completely blind
into what might be a phishing or drive-by-malware situation.

I use Streetview shorteners because Google is probably already doing the
former (even with long links), so there's not much you can do, and most
people vaguely trust them; also it's extremely unlikely there's drive-
by-malware on their mapping site.

Here's an even more paranoid analysis (I see they aren't impressed with
Google Maps shorteners, but I only post innocent locations).

<https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2016/04/14/gone-in-six-characters-short-
urls-considered-harmful-for-cloud-services/>

And 2016 is bit late to the party, all these risks have been understood
far longer than that. Webmasters working for one of my clients in the
noughties, took it upon themselves to create a "cool" shortener, and
applied it to marketing material they were asked to publish. It was a
miracle they kept their jobs!
--
Roland Perry

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<t2c2vh$fbk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27112&group=uk.railway#27112

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:12:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7ZiQwpjAqEXupXGusKWtwGK9sN4=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:12 UTC

<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 03/04/2022 10:56, Weather or Not wrote:
>> On 03/04/2022 10:52, Weather or Not wrote:
>>> Yesterday evening, a train was halted between Wolverhampton and
>>> Birmingham, because of football supporters from the Aston Villa v
>>> Wolves match. It seems from the report people from several trains, got
>>> off the trains and walked along the track, so all trains between
>>> Wolverhampton and Birmingham were halted. It such situations, how do
>>> the police and BTP handle people? Do the police wait at the next
>>> station along the line, shepherd the people off the track, and out of
>>> the station onto the street.
>>>
>>> tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>>

>> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>
> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
> https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>
> I never follow them.

There’s not a single argument in that blog that is relevant to end users.
It seems to boil down to it mucks up our image/marketing/social media
presence. Plague on the lot of them.

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<bjeT+B7hSZSiFADc@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27114&group=uk.railway#27114

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:35:45 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 12:35 UTC

In message <t2c2vh$fbk$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:12:33 on Sun, 3 Apr 2022,
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
><martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>>
>> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
>>
>>https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short
>>-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>>
>> I never follow them.
>
>There’s not a single argument in that blog that is relevant to end users.
>It seems to boil down to it mucks up our image/marketing/social media
>presence.

Yes, it's clearly a message to webmasters etc.

I've posted threat assessments much more appropriate to end users (both
posting links and following them).

You might consider that following a short link on a gov.uk site would be
fairly benign, well it might be from the forgery/malware point of view,
but depending on who is running the shortener, you could still be
leaking your browsing history and self-profiling.

When the government suggests that capturing web browsing history might
be good for catching criminals, people tend to go ballistic! And
actually, that alone is good enough reason for public sector sites (or
firms who value their reputation) should not permit their use on their
estate (be that web pages or emails).
--
Roland Perry

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<t2c6ov$q0a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27116&group=uk.railway#27116

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 14:17:18 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:17 UTC

On 03/04/2022 13:12, Tweed wrote:
> <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>>
>> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
>> https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>>
>> I never follow them.
>>

> There’s not a single argument in that blog that is relevant to end users.
> It seems to boil down to it mucks up our image/marketing/social media
> presence. Plague on the lot of them.

That's not absolutely true. People who post shortened links here are
not end users. It does state and explain why end users should not be
encouraged to use link shorteners and by implication why they should not
be followed.

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<jats77F58j8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27118&group=uk.railway#27118

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 3 Apr 2022 15:19:04 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 15:19 UTC

<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 03/04/2022 10:56, Weather or Not wrote:
>> On 03/04/2022 10:52, Weather or Not wrote:
>>> Yesterday evening, a train was halted between Wolverhampton and
>>> Birmingham, because of football supporters from the Aston Villa v
>>> Wolves match. It seems from the report people from several trains, got
>>> off the trains and walked along the track, so all trains between
>>> Wolverhampton and Birmingham were halted. It such situations, how do
>>> the police and BTP handle people? Do the police wait at the next
>>> station along the line, shepherd the people off the track, and out of
>>> the station onto the street.
>>>
>>> tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>>

>> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>
> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
> https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>
> I never follow them.

A lot of people are fed up with government policy after what has gone on in
recent times,
so will make their own judgement.

GH

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<t2ceg5$k9i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27120&group=uk.railway#27120

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 15:29:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:P7/gxXLx5uze8Bzeu2/qUbzsgyw=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 15:29 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>>
>> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
>> https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>>
>> I never follow them.
>>

> A lot of people are fed up with government policy after what has gone on in
> recent times,
> so will make their own judgement.
>
> GH

Or take some simple steps

https://safecomputing.umich.edu/be-aware/phishing-and-suspicious-email/shortened-url-security

There are a number of ways you can reveal the full URL behind a shortened
Use the shortening service preview feature. Type the shortened URL in the
address bar of your web browser and add the characters described below to
see a preview of the full URL:

tinyurl.com. Between the "http://" and the "tinyurl," type preview.
Example: http://preview.tinyurl.com/zn7xnzu

bit.ly. At the end of the URL, type a +.
Example: http://bit.ly/2lgPesi+

goo.gl. At the end of the URL, type a +.
Example: https://goo.gl/vLfoaW+

Use a URL checker. These are just a few of the sites that let you enter a
short URL and then see the full URL:

getlinkinfo.com
unshorten.it
urlxray.com

The civil service advice spectacularly misses the point about why shortened
URLs can be non ideal.

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<t2ciae$3e7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27125&group=uk.railway#27125

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:34:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:K7NmsEZDvy5Gg3o1jYqULIxE/0g=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:34 UTC

<martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 03/04/2022 10:56, Weather or Not wrote:
>> On 03/04/2022 10:52, Weather or Not wrote:
>>> Yesterday evening, a train was halted between Wolverhampton and
>>> Birmingham, because of football supporters from the Aston Villa v
>>> Wolves match. It seems from the report people from several trains, got
>>> off the trains and walked along the track, so all trains between
>>> Wolverhampton and Birmingham were halted. It such situations, how do
>>> the police and BTP handle people? Do the police wait at the next
>>> station along the line, shepherd the people off the track, and out of
>>> the station onto the street.
>>>
>>> tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>>

>> https://tinyurl.com/32ht4jck
>
> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
> https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-short-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>
> I never follow them.

<https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2022/04/02/trains-between-wolverhampton-and-birmingham-cancelled-after-passengers-cause-disturbance/>

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<cpryskE1scSiFASc@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27128&group=uk.railway#27128

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 17:28:37 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

In message <t2ceg5$k9i$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:29:09 on Sun, 3 Apr 2022,
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Here is the government policy on link shorteners:-
>>>
>>>https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/blog/link-shorteners-the-long-and-shor
>>>t-of-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/
>>>
>>> I never follow them.
>>>

>> A lot of people are fed up with government policy after what has gone on in
>> recent times,
>> so will make their own judgement.
>>
>> GH
>>

>Or take some simple steps
>
>https://safecomputing.umich.edu/be-aware/phishing-and-suspicious-email/s
>hortened-url-security
>
>There are a number of ways you can reveal the full URL behind a shortened
>Use the shortening service preview feature. Type the shortened URL in the
>address bar of your web browser and add the characters described below to
>see a preview of the full URL:
>
>tinyurl.com. Between the "http://" and the "tinyurl," type preview.
>Example: http://preview.tinyurl.com/zn7xnzu
>
>bit.ly. At the end of the URL, type a +.
>Example: http://bit.ly/2lgPesi+
>
>goo.gl. At the end of the URL, type a +.
>Example: https://goo.gl/vLfoaW+
>
>Use a URL checker. These are just a few of the sites that let you enter a
>short URL and then see the full URL:
>
>getlinkinfo.com
>unshorten.it
>urlxray.com

Most people just click on them, though. They can't be bothered with all
that palaver.

>The civil service advice spectacularly misses the point about why shortened
>URLs can be non ideal.

The advice is why it's non-ideal for marketing purposes. A completely
different set of considerations apply for security reasons. Although if
you've scared people away with the former, the latter won't arise.

--
Roland Perry

Re: People on track between Wolverhampton and Birmingham

<pJ8$UtGr7cSiFA2Z@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27131&group=uk.railway#27131

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 17:44:27 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:44 UTC

In message <cpryskE1scSiFASc@perry.uk>, at 17:28:37 on Sun, 3 Apr 2022,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>In message <t2ceg5$k9i$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:29:09 on Sun, 3 Apr
>2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> A lot of people are fed up with government policy after what has gone on in
>>> recent times,
>>> so will make their own judgement.
>>>
>>> GH
>>>

>>Or take some simple steps
>>
>>https://safecomputing.umich.edu/be-aware/phishing-and-suspicious-email/s
>>hortened-url-security
>>
>>There are a number of ways you can reveal the full URL behind a shortened
>>Use the shortening service preview feature. Type the shortened URL in the
>>address bar of your web browser and add the characters described below to
>>see a preview of the full URL:
>>
>>tinyurl.com. Between the "http://" and the "tinyurl," type preview.
>>Example: http://preview.tinyurl.com/zn7xnzu
>>
>>bit.ly. At the end of the URL, type a +.
>>Example: http://bit.ly/2lgPesi+
>>
>>goo.gl. At the end of the URL, type a +.
>>Example: https://goo.gl/vLfoaW+
>>
>>Use a URL checker. These are just a few of the sites that let you enter a
>>short URL and then see the full URL:
>>
>>getlinkinfo.com
>>unshorten.it
>>urlxray.com
>
>Most people just click on them, though. They can't be bothered with all
>that palaver.

And of course expanding them only addresses a subset of the risks. You,
and your readers, are still potentially having your browsing history
tracked.