Let him choose out of my files, his projects to accomplish. -- Shakespeare, "Coriolanus"

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - Zpost

SubjectAuthor
* Chrome Book marks disappeared - ZpostDavid
+* Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - XpostDavid
|`- Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - XpostBrian Gaff
`- Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - ZpostAdrian Caspersz

1
Chrome Book marks disappeared - Zpost

<jtpmvsFmmntU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2718&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2718

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Chrome Book marks disappeared - Zpost
Date: 18 Nov 2022 15:34:20 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:34 UTC

Come to the system today and all my bookmarks have disappeared.
Well, there is one showing for the Halifax but all the rest are gone.

They were there a few days ago.

Google tells me to look for the Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files under
Google in my profile, but there is no such file.

Which in turn makes me wonder where the single bookmark I have is stored.

Anyone else hit this recently?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - Xpost

<jtpo6aFmmntU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2719&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2719

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - Xpost
Date: 18 Nov 2022 15:54:50 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:54 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:34:20 +0000, David wrote:

> Come to the system today and all my bookmarks have disappeared.
> Well, there is one showing for the Halifax but all the rest are gone.
>
> They were there a few days ago.
>
> Google tells me to look for the Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files under
> Google in my profile, but there is no such file.
>
> Which in turn makes me wonder where the single bookmark I have is
> stored.
>
> Anyone else hit this recently?

Oh, $DEITY!

Turns out I was using Microsoft Edge even though the tool bar had Chrome
highlighted.
Before my second monitor karked it I would have known by the position.
Both browsers now look remarkably similar.
Also, having a fraught day :-(

Still don't know why there is no Bookmarks file for Chrome unless it has
been changed to something else.

Sigh.

Dave R

Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - Xpost

<tla7lr$36tro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2720&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2720

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:29:26 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:29 UTC

Both browsers use exactly the same rendering engine anyway.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:34:20 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Come to the system today and all my bookmarks have disappeared.
>> Well, there is one showing for the Halifax but all the rest are gone.
>>
>> They were there a few days ago.
>>
>> Google tells me to look for the Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files under
>> Google in my profile, but there is no such file.
>>
>> Which in turn makes me wonder where the single bookmark I have is
>> stored.
>>
>> Anyone else hit this recently?
>
> Oh, $DEITY!
>
> Turns out I was using Microsoft Edge even though the tool bar had Chrome
> highlighted.
> Before my second monitor karked it I would have known by the position.
> Both browsers now look remarkably similar.
> Also, having a fraught day :-(
>
> Still don't know why there is no Bookmarks file for Chrome unless it has
> been changed to something else.
>
> Sigh.
>

> Dave R
>

> --
> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - Zpost

<jtrn2fFndveU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2721&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2721

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Chrome Book marks disappeared - Zpost
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:47:58 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:47 UTC

On 18/11/2022 15:34, David wrote:
> Come to the system today and all my bookmarks have disappeared.
> Well, there is one showing for the Halifax but all the rest are gone.
>
> They were there a few days ago.
>
> Google tells me to look for the Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files under
> Google in my profile, but there is no such file.
>
> Which in turn makes me wonder where the single bookmark I have is stored.
>
> Anyone else hit this recently?

If you don't want to use browser sync then Google/YouTube for variations of

"use chrome without signing in"
"use edge without signing in"

Should be able to manage a local profile on a single machine, and be
able to backup that profile (a directory) to be safe.

--
Adrian C