From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Got two PCs whose passwords I have long forgotten....
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:02:14 +0000
 by: SH - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:02 UTC

one is a Windows Vista box and the other is a Windows 7 or 8 box

So How do I get into them when I've forgotten the password to both of them?

I did wonder about starting up with a Linux Live CD and then retrieving
the files off the hard drives?

Will that work as Linux might have trouble accessing files that were
created by a different owner?

If so I do I change the ownership permissions on windows created files
from within a Linux environment for the purposes of being able to open
them and to copy them?

S.

Re: Got two PCs whose passwords I have long forgotten....

<juf593Fmn4kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2728&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2728

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 26 Nov 2022 18:46:59 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 18:46 UTC

On 26 Nov 2022 at 15:02:14 GMT, "SH" <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:

> one is a Windows Vista box and the other is a Windows 7 or 8 box
>
> So How do I get into them when I've forgotten the password to both of them?
>
> I did wonder about starting up with a Linux Live CD and then retrieving
> the files off the hard drives?
>
> Will that work as Linux might have trouble accessing files that were
> created by a different owner?
>
> If so I do I change the ownership permissions on windows created files
> from within a Linux environment for the purposes of being able to open
> them and to copy them?
>
> S.

As long as neither have encrypted disks (or files) you'll be fine. The
Linux NTFS driver defaults to ignoring ownerships, so you can just grab
the files that way.

You can do it properly by nobbling the admin password from an ntpasswd
boot disk, a venerable tool:
https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

More modern guide for making a bootable stick at
https://adamtheautomator.com/ntpasswd/

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Sun 4/60

Re: Got two PCs whose passwords I have long forgotten....

<jufj94Fonu4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2729&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2729

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:45:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:45 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> You can do it properly by nobbling the admin password from an ntpasswd
> boot disk, a venerable tool:
> https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

this.