I went to a Grateful Dead Concert and they played for SEVEN hours. Great song. -- Fred Reuss

aus+uk / uk.railway / Adrian Shooters Railway.

SubjectAuthor
* Adrian Shooters Railway.Marland
+- Adrian Shooters Railway.Charles Ellson
`* Adrian Shooters Railway.Mark Goodge
 `* Adrian Shooters Railway.NY
  `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Recliner
   +* Adrian Shooters Railway.Marland
   |+- Adrian Shooters Railway.Recliner
   |`* Adrian Shooters Railway.Muttley
   | +* Adrian Shooters Railway.Recliner
   | |`* Adrian Shooters Railway.Peter Johnson
   | | `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Peter Johnson
   | |  `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Recliner
   | |   `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Peter Johnson
   | |    `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Recliner
   | |     `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Mark Goodge
   | |      `- Adrian Shooters Railway.Marland
   | `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Anna Noyd-Dryver
   |  `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Muttley
   |   `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Anna Noyd-Dryver
   |    `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Roland Perry
   |     +* Adrian Shooters Railway.Charles Ellson
   |     |+- Adrian Shooters Railway.Muttley
   |     |`* Adrian Shooters Railway.Anna Noyd-Dryver
   |     | +- Adrian Shooters Railway.Charles Ellson
   |     | `- Adrian Shooters Railway.Peter Johnson
   |     +* Adrian Shooters Railway.GB
   |     |+* Adrian Shooters Railway.Marland
   |     ||`- Adrian Shooters Railway.GB
   |     |`* Adrian Shooters Railway.Roland Perry
   |     | `- Adrian Shooters Railway.Recliner
   |     +* Adrian Shooters Railway.Muttley
   |     |`* Adrian Shooters Railway.Roland Perry
   |     | +* Adrian Shooters Railway.Peter Johnson
   |     | |`- Adrian Shooters Railway.Roland Perry
   |     | `- Adrian Shooters Railway.Anna Noyd-Dryver
   |     `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Anna Noyd-Dryver
   |      `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Roland Perry
   |       `- Adrian Shooters Railway.Anna Noyd-Dryver
   `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Anna Noyd-Dryver
    `* Adrian Shooters Railway.Recliner
     `- Adrian Shooters Railway.Marland

Pages:12
Adrian Shooters Railway.

<jb3el6F7o6kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27305&group=uk.railway#27305

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Adrian Shooters Railway.
Date: 5 Apr 2022 18:04:22 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 18:04 UTC

Those who live in its transmission area and watch BBC South Today may have
seen it but tonights
programme featured Adrian Shooters Railway. Reasonably long feature just
before the weather
forecast.
Those out of area will be able to catch it on the BBC South Today website ,
but unlike most programmes the local news editions are only available for
24 hours after broadcast so it will not be available after Wednesdays
edition goes out.

GH

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<hr1p4h58nhu331vrmd8no3g0tb52jikuul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27306&group=uk.railway#27306

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 19:33:10 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 18:33 UTC

On 5 Apr 2022 18:04:22 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Those who live in its transmission area and watch BBC South Today may have
>seen it but tonights
>programme featured Adrian Shooters Railway. Reasonably long feature just
>before the weather
>forecast.
>Those out of area will be able to catch it on the BBC South Today website ,
>but unlike most programmes the local news editions are only available for
>24 hours after broadcast so it will not be available after Wednesdays
>edition goes out.

Some of the 18.30 stuff also gets repeated at 22.30.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<ln6p4hlcogdgr0qpko29kpdksg452o0jvj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27307&group=uk.railway#27307

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 20:57:12 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 19:57 UTC

On 5 Apr 2022 18:04:22 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>Those who live in its transmission area and watch BBC South Today may have
>seen it but tonights
>programme featured Adrian Shooters Railway. Reasonably long feature just
>before the weather
>forecast.
>Those out of area will be able to catch it on the BBC South Today website ,
>but unlike most programmes the local news editions are only available for
>24 hours after broadcast so it will not be available after Wednesdays
>edition goes out.

It's on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006pfl4/south-today

If you have a smart TV or Virgin/Sky box with the iPlayer app you can
also get it on that by searching for "South Today" even if you're not in
the broadcast area. Plus of course, if you have get_iplayer installed on
your PC then you can download it via that, again by searching for "South
Today". The one you are after is the evening news from 05/04/2022.

However you find it, the item starts at 19:00 in the programme timing
and lasts a tad under three minutes.

Mark

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2i8fn$6of$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27309&group=uk.railway#27309

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 21:22:23 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 20:22 UTC

"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 5 Apr 2022 18:04:22 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Those who live in its transmission area and watch BBC South Today may
>>have
>>seen it but tonights
>>programme featured Adrian Shooters Railway. Reasonably long feature just
>>before the weather
>>forecast.
>>Those out of area will be able to catch it on the BBC South Today website
>>,
>>but unlike most programmes the local news editions are only available for
>>24 hours after broadcast so it will not be available after Wednesdays
>>edition goes out.
>
> It's on iPlayer:
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006pfl4/south-today
>
> If you have a smart TV or Virgin/Sky box with the iPlayer app you can
> also get it on that by searching for "South Today" even if you're not in
> the broadcast area. Plus of course, if you have get_iplayer installed on
> your PC then you can download it via that, again by searching for "South
> Today". The one you are after is the evening news from 05/04/2022.
>
> However you find it, the item starts at 19:00 in the programme timing
> and lasts a tad under three minutes.

"And here's his Model T Ford, a car adapted to run on rails - just because
he can".

"Because he can" seems to be Adrian's motto!

Wikipedia said he had planned to close in May 2019 and move to a new site,
re-opening in Spring 2020. I imagine that Covid (and Adrian's motor neurone
disease) have rather put paid to that.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2ibl0$um9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27310&group=uk.railway#27310

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 21:17:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1LfzCqqs/s19P5TqUj1N9qzxYEg=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 21:17 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On 5 Apr 2022 18:04:22 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> Those who live in its transmission area and watch BBC South Today may
>>> have
>>> seen it but tonights
>>> programme featured Adrian Shooters Railway. Reasonably long feature just
>>> before the weather
>>> forecast.
>>> Those out of area will be able to catch it on the BBC South Today website
>>> ,
>>> but unlike most programmes the local news editions are only available for
>>> 24 hours after broadcast so it will not be available after Wednesdays
>>> edition goes out.
>>
>> It's on iPlayer:
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006pfl4/south-today
>>
>> If you have a smart TV or Virgin/Sky box with the iPlayer app you can
>> also get it on that by searching for "South Today" even if you're not in
>> the broadcast area. Plus of course, if you have get_iplayer installed on
>> your PC then you can download it via that, again by searching for "South
>> Today". The one you are after is the evening news from 05/04/2022.
>>
>> However you find it, the item starts at 19:00 in the programme timing
>> and lasts a tad under three minutes.
>

> "And here's his Model T Ford, a car adapted to run on rails - just because
> he can".
>
> "Because he can" seems to be Adrian's motto!

It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
the modern drone shots.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>

> Wikipedia said he had planned to close in May 2019 and move to a new site,
> re-opening in Spring 2020. I imagine that Covid (and Adrian's motor neurone
> disease) have rather put paid to that.

Yes, how sad that he has MND. At least he's had time to write hus
autobiography.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<jb40bhFavukU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27311&group=uk.railway#27311

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 5 Apr 2022 23:06:25 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 23:06 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
> the modern drone shots.
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>

Any idea what the green paint was for on the diamond crossing took a photo
off?

Also noted the Post office railway unit which looks to be one of the 1920’s
ones.I wonder how many of those have survived , there’s the answer to the
coal shortage on some of our two ft gauge lines.
Load battery containers where the mail ones used to go ,bolt on a seat at
each or even a swivel one in the middle under a small cab and some simple
controls and hey presto a simple battery loco with the facility to take on
a fresh set of charged batteries in a few minutes .
It could be a side project for Vivarail.

GH

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2ikpd$shv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27312&group=uk.railway#27312

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 23:53:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8XSfgsgGoMnpcze1x6MXAaxwlr0=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 23:53 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
>> the modern drone shots.
>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>
>>

> Any idea what the green paint was for on the diamond crossing took a photo
> off?

Just a guess — a way of checking wear patterns on realigned rails?

> Also noted the Post office railway unit which looks to be one of the 1920’s
> ones.I wonder how many of those have survived , there’s the answer to the
> coal shortage on some of our two ft gauge lines.
> Load battery containers where the mail ones used to go ,bolt on a seat at
> each or even a swivel one in the middle under a small cab and some simple
> controls and hey presto a simple battery loco with the facility to take on
> a fresh set of charged batteries in a few minutes .
> It could be a side project for Vivarail.

Probably suitable for smaller gauge park railways?

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2jfsm$1bd9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27315&group=uk.railway#27315

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 07:35:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 07:35 UTC

On 5 Apr 2022 23:06:25 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
>> the modern drone shots.
>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>

Never heard of that railway. Wikipedia says it closed in 2019 to be reopened
somewhere else in 2020. Did that ever happen or did covid scupper everything?

>Also noted the Post office railway unit which looks to be one of the 1920’s
>ones.I wonder how many of those have survived , there’s the answer to the
>coal shortage on some of our two ft gauge lines.
>Load battery containers where the mail ones used to go ,bolt on a seat at
>each or even a swivel one in the middle under a small cab and some simple
>controls and hey presto a simple battery loco with the facility to take on
>a fresh set of charged batteries in a few minutes .
>It could be a side project for Vivarail.

Given the Volks Eletric Railway in brighton seems to survive with a live low
voltage 3rd rail and people wandering around nearby without dozens of deaths
from electrocution ever month, I wonder why the same couldn't be done for the
post office trains, especially in the now re-opened museum section of the line
which seems to have spent a fortune on battery trains and removed the 3rd rail
on sections they run on.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2jkte$pie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27323&group=uk.railway#27323

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:01:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:F4zSsj0pBUSHndUO/6FRJxGFwQ0=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:01 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2022 23:06:25 GMT
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
>>> the modern drone shots.
>>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>
>
> Never heard of that railway. Wikipedia says it closed in 2019 to be reopened
> somewhere else in 2020. Did that ever happen or did covid scupper everything?

It's still running in its original location, round his house and paddock.

Presumably some combination of Covid and his MND put paid to the plan to
expand it in a new location?

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<le3r4hll8jn4ci41n75smfokubtqi4e09i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27334&group=uk.railway#27334

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:59:00 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 12:59 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:01:34 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Never heard of that railway. Wikipedia says it closed in 2019 to be reopened
>> somewhere else in 2020. Did that ever happen or did covid scupper everything?
>
>It's still running in its original location, round his house and paddock.
>
>Presumably some combination of Covid and his MND put paid to the plan to
>expand it in a new location?

I don't know why the move is not going ahead but he did get planning
permission for the new line in 2019. (Inteesting that the neighbours
objected to it on the basis of noise when they are located next to the
GW main line.)

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<6v3r4hpp9sd3otp3cou75gmtimdictblhq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27335&group=uk.railway#27335

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:05:20 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:05 UTC

On Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:59:00 +0100, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>I don't know why the move is not going ahead but he did get planning
>permission for the new line in 2019. (Inteesting that the neighbours
>objected to it on the basis of noise when they are located next to the
>GW main line.)

Meant to include the link for the planning application:
https://data.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/java/support/Main.jsp?MODULE=ApplicationDetails&REF=P19/V0755/FUL

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<f94r4h93br2f2grivf0ep5inhdnb9iptul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27336&group=uk.railway#27336

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:12:15 +0100
 by: Recliner - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:12 UTC

On Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:05:20 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:59:00 +0100, Peter Johnson
><peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>

>>I don't know why the move is not going ahead but he did get planning
>>permission for the new line in 2019. (Inteesting that the neighbours
>>objected to it on the basis of noise when they are located next to the
>>GW main line.)
>
>Meant to include the link for the planning application:
>https://data.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/java/support/Main.jsp?MODULE=ApplicationDetails&REF=P19/V0755/FUL

I'm surprised how far it is from the current site: 28 miles. I was under the impression that he planned to move it to a
nearby, larger site.

Does this mean that he was also planning to move house to somewhere near (or in) the new site?

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2khkr$ts9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27353&group=uk.railway#27353

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:11:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xh9nQzj9GMygjXTfAgSe1+lVwPY=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:11 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> It's on iPlayer:
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006pfl4/south-today
>>>
>>> If you have a smart TV or Virgin/Sky box with the iPlayer app you can
>>> also get it on that by searching for "South Today" even if you're not in
>>> the broadcast area. Plus of course, if you have get_iplayer installed on
>>> your PC then you can download it via that, again by searching for "South
>>> Today". The one you are after is the evening news from 05/04/2022.
>>>
>>> However you find it, the item starts at 19:00 in the programme timing
>>> and lasts a tad under three minutes.
>>

>> "And here's his Model T Ford, a car adapted to run on rails - just because
>> he can".
>>
>> "Because he can" seems to be Adrian's motto!
>
> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
> the modern drone shots.
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>

The car in the last photo is one of these:

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuoka_Viewt>

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2khks$ts9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27354&group=uk.railway#27354

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:11:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:e71ZXrMJTaDoNyYVvh38Ee1fXCk=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:11 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2022 23:06:25 GMT
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
>>> the modern drone shots.
>>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>
>
> Never heard of that railway. Wikipedia says it closed in 2019 to be reopened
> somewhere else in 2020. Did that ever happen or did covid scupper everything?
>
>> Also noted the Post office railway unit which looks to be one of the 1920’s
>> ones.I wonder how many of those have survived , there’s the answer to the
>> coal shortage on some of our two ft gauge lines.
>> Load battery containers where the mail ones used to go ,bolt on a seat at
>> each or even a swivel one in the middle under a small cab and some simple
>> controls and hey presto a simple battery loco with the facility to take on
>> a fresh set of charged batteries in a few minutes .
>> It could be a side project for Vivarail.
>
> Given the Volks Eletric Railway in brighton seems to survive with a live low
> voltage 3rd rail and people wandering around nearby without dozens of deaths
> from electrocution ever month, I wonder why the same couldn't be done for the
> post office trains, especially in the now re-opened museum section of the line
> which seems to have spent a fortune on battery trains and removed the 3rd rail
> on sections they run on.

I can't comment for Volks' 3rd rail, but the 3rd rail on Mail Rail was
removed to allow the floor height of the passenger trains to be lower, to
allow precious inches more space for people within the train. It was
between the rails rather than at the side.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2l1i8$56e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27365&group=uk.railway#27365

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:43:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lCy0sf0etcXViiX6JxmgXVEtThE=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:43 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>> "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> "And here's his Model T Ford, a car adapted to run on rails - just because
>>> he can".
>>>
>>> "Because he can" seems to be Adrian's motto!
>>
>> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
>> the modern drone shots.
>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>
>>

> The car in the last photo is one of these:
>
> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuoka_Viewt>

Yes, I mentioned it in the caption, after someone named it in a comment.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<jb6l58Fqh6kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27366&group=uk.railway#27366

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 6 Apr 2022 23:13:44 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 23:13 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>>> It's not changed at all since my visit 13 years ago. It's nice to see all
>>> the modern drone shots.
>>> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157617297179135>
>>>

>> The car in the last photo is one of these:
>>
>> <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuoka_Viewt>
>>

> Yes, I mentioned it in the caption, after someone named it in a comment.

First saw one of them about 15-20 years ago when I regularly passed the
Japanese grey and 2nd hand import park in Soton Docks which existed then
before the Ocean Cruise Terminal was built.
Thought it weird then and still do, the other funny little car that was
coming in at the same time was the Nissan Figaro which some found cute .
<https://flic.kr/p/2gtq4rc>. I expect it was based on something even if
does look like the love child of something French and a Nash Metropolitan.

Actually thinking about it the Nash Metropolitan wasn’t that different in
principle being an unusual exercise where an American Automobile
manufacture decided the best way to build a small but still
American looking car was to get Austin of England to cloak the mechanicals
from its 1950’s range
of saloon cars under bodywork that would look more at home in California.
< https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan#Design>

Like the disguised Micras it mainly appealed to a small group of people
whose taste was a bit eccentric.

GH

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2m9pf$1dq3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27371&group=uk.railway#27371

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:10:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:10 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:11:56 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> Given the Volks Eletric Railway in brighton seems to survive with a live low
>> voltage 3rd rail and people wandering around nearby without dozens of deaths
>
>> from electrocution ever month, I wonder why the same couldn't be done for
>the
>> post office trains, especially in the now re-opened museum section of the
>line
>> which seems to have spent a fortune on battery trains and removed the 3rd
>rail
>> on sections they run on.
>>

>I can't comment for Volks' 3rd rail, but the 3rd rail on Mail Rail was
>removed to allow the floor height of the passenger trains to be lower, to
>allow precious inches more space for people within the train. It was
>between the rails rather than at the side.

Fair enough. Given the 3rd rail has been switched off I presume that was for
clearance reasons, not just safety reasons to avoid a flashover?

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<p45u4h19gekttdsldmga3iicmuns8c8u4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27409&group=uk.railway#27409

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 17:47:09 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:47 UTC

On Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:12:15 +0100, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Meant to include the link for the planning application:
>>https://data.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/java/support/Main.jsp?MODULE=ApplicationDetails&REF=P19/V0755/FUL
>
>I'm surprised how far it is from the current site: 28 miles. I was under the impression that he planned to move it to a
>nearby, larger site.
>
>Does this mean that he was also planning to move house to somewhere near (or in) the new site?

Planning permission had been obtained for a house on the site before
he bought it. At what was to have been the last BLR open day all he
was saying about the move was that it was 'near Wantage' so I set
myself the challenge of finding the planning application for a
railway, as I knew there would be one.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2n9fs$far$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27418&group=uk.railway#27418

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:11:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q/PUOwTIQUh6OtsWBMPgR1Nw9HU=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:11 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:11:56 -0000 (UTC)
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> Given the Volks Eletric Railway in brighton seems to survive with a live low
>>> voltage 3rd rail and people wandering around nearby without dozens of deaths
>>
>>> from electrocution ever month, I wonder why the same couldn't be done for
>> the
>>> post office trains, especially in the now re-opened museum section of the
>> line
>>> which seems to have spent a fortune on battery trains and removed the 3rd
>> rail
>>> on sections they run on.
>>>

>> I can't comment for Volks' 3rd rail, but the 3rd rail on Mail Rail was
>> removed to allow the floor height of the passenger trains to be lower, to
>> allow precious inches more space for people within the train. It was
>> between the rails rather than at the side.
>
> Fair enough. Given the 3rd rail has been switched off I presume that was for
> clearance reasons, not just safety reasons to avoid a flashover?

Yes, I presume the floor of the carriages is as close to the running rails
as it can be, and therefore too close to, or foul of, the 3rd rail which
sits higher than the running rail.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<7hZ7OsY7JzTiFAPT@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27421&group=uk.railway#27421

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:50:35 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:50 UTC

In message <t2n9fs$far$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:11:08 on Thu, 7 Apr 2022,
Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:11:56 -0000 (UTC)
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>>> the
>>> line
>>> rail
>>>>

>>> I can't comment for Volks' 3rd rail, but the 3rd rail on Mail Rail was
>>> removed to allow the floor height of the passenger trains to be lower, to
>>> allow precious inches more space for people within the train. It was
>>> between the rails rather than at the side.
>>
>> Fair enough. Given the 3rd rail has been switched off I presume that was for
>> clearance reasons, not just safety reasons to avoid a flashover?
>
>Yes, I presume the floor of the carriages is as close to the running rails
>as it can be, and therefore too close to, or foul of, the 3rd rail which
>sits higher than the running rail.

This photo appears to show the new trains in a station which still has
the centre 3rd rail:

<https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/2016/02/i875/mail.jpg

And this photo (the walls painted white for a Santa Train, allegedly):

<https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/q_auto,w_900,c_fill,g_auto,h_506,ar_
16:9/http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F160204162405-im
g-5755.jpg>
--
Roland Perry

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<1lfu4hl8da0mgnse91k1f2rl6qfdqtofbk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27427&group=uk.railway#27427

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 20:46:27 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:46 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:50:35 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <t2n9fs$far$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:11:08 on Thu, 7 Apr 2022,
>Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>>> Fair enough. Given the 3rd rail has been switched off I presume that was for
>>> clearance reasons, not just safety reasons to avoid a flashover?
>>
>>Yes, I presume the floor of the carriages is as close to the running rails
>>as it can be, and therefore too close to, or foul of, the 3rd rail which
>>sits higher than the running rail.
>
>This photo appears to show the new trains in a station which still has
>the centre 3rd rail:
>
> <https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/2016/02/i875/mail.jpg
>
>And this photo (the walls painted white for a Santa Train, allegedly):
>
> <https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/q_auto,w_900,c_fill,g_auto,h_506,ar_
>16:9/http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F160204162405-im
>g-5755.jpg>

Another unusual feature of the PO Railway's traction supply was that
it was not constant voltage but worked a bit like a model railway with
speed and braking controlled by the stepped voltage level. Before
considering safety, that probably makes it easier just to use a
battery vehicle rather than attempt to retain and modify the traction
supply.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2niur$ish$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27430&group=uk.railway#27430

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:52:43 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:52 UTC

On 07/04/2022 19:50, Roland Perry wrote:

> This photo appears to show the new trains in a station which still has
> the centre 3rd rail:
>
> <https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/2016/02/i875/mail.jpg

My DW bought us a ride on the mail train, and it is definitely interesting.

Unfortunately, the carriages are tiny. She is 5'3" and she was
uncomfortable. I am a lot taller, and it was really, really cramped.

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<jb91nsFa7ibU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27431&group=uk.railway#27431

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 7 Apr 2022 21:00:44 GMT
<t2niur$ish$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Marland - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:00 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

> My DW bought us a ride on the mail train, and it is definitely interesting.
>
> Unfortunately, the carriages are tiny. She is 5'3" and she was
> uncomfortable. I am a lot taller, and it was really, really cramped.

Did you go first or second class?

GH

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<t2njs5$2l8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27432&group=uk.railway#27432

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:08:21 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:08 UTC

On 07/04/2022 22:00, Marland wrote:
> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>

>> My DW bought us a ride on the mail train, and it is definitely interesting.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the carriages are tiny. She is 5'3" and she was
>> uncomfortable. I am a lot taller, and it was really, really cramped.
>>

> Did you go first or second class?

https://www.postalmuseum.org/visit-us/tickets

Are we talking about the same train?

> GH

Re: Adrian Shooters Railway.

<7AVrGTjJ28TiFAd3@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27448&group=uk.railway#27448

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:52:09 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 05:52 UTC

In message <t2niur$ish$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:52:43 on Thu, 7 Apr 2022,
GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> remarked:
>On 07/04/2022 19:50, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>> This photo appears to show the new trains in a station which still has
>> the centre 3rd rail:
>> <https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/2016/02/i875/mail.jpg
>
>My DW bought us a ride on the mail train, and it is definitely interesting.
>
>Unfortunately, the carriages are tiny. She is 5'3" and she was
>uncomfortable. I am a lot taller, and it was really, really cramped.

I've had a ride on it too, soon after it opened. No problem with
legroom, but it didn't really seem wide enough for two-abreast unless
you were already good friends.
--
Roland Perry