It takes a smart husband to have the last word and not use it.

aus+uk / uk.railway / MML experience

SubjectAuthor
* MML experiencePeter Johnson
`* MML experienceRoland Perry
 `* MML experiencePeter Johnson
  `* MML experienceRoland Perry
   `* MML experiencePeter Johnson
    +- MML experienceRoland Perry
    `* MML experienceAnna Noyd-Dryver
     `* MML experienceRoland Perry
      `* MML experienceAnna Noyd-Dryver
       `* MML experienceRoland Perry
        +- MML experienceRecliner
        `* MML experienceAnna Noyd-Dryver
         `* MML experienceRoland Perry
          `* MML experiencePeter Johnson
           `* MML experienceRoland Perry
            `* MML experienceAnna Noyd-Dryver
             `- MML experienceRoland Perry

1
MML experience

<7d4r4hdredf6dmtmrvjdkiv7a5qsr9idjd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27341&group=uk.railway#27341

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: MML experience
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:24:02 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:24 UTC

7.43 ex Leicester arrived about ten minutes late at St Pancas
yesterday, having been diverted over the slow line between Leagrave
and St Albans because a train had failed on the fast line immediately
to the north of Luton Airport Parkway.
(And on the 20.05 return, where the fares are much cheaper, they
didn't bother to tell the computer to allocate seats for the
compulsory reservations, so I wouldn't be surprised if some had to
stand. I didn't check, but the train appeared to be full. As it left
St P there were people walking through from the front towards the back
looking for seats and I guessed that they had just walked past the
last carriage brcause they thought it was full.)

Re: MML experience

<5gxrOq1ZaZTiFAOw@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27345&group=uk.railway#27345

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: MML experience
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:33:13 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

In message <7d4r4hdredf6dmtmrvjdkiv7a5qsr9idjd@4ax.com>, at 14:24:02 on
Wed, 6 Apr 2022, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:
>7.43 ex Leicester arrived about ten minutes late at St Pancas
>yesterday, having been diverted over the slow line between Leagrave
>and St Albans because a train had failed on the fast line immediately
>to the north of Luton Airport Parkway.

I've experienced that too. The broken down train was an HST.

>(And on the 20.05 return, where the fares are much cheaper, they
>didn't bother to tell the computer to allocate seats for the
>compulsory reservations, so I wouldn't be surprised if some had to
>stand.

Used to happen all the time with paper reservation tickets. They
sometimes used to say their printer had broken down. But your train
would have had electronic displays I presume?

Alternatively if they change the trains configuration at the last
minute, it can also happen.

>I didn't check, but the train appeared to be full. As it left
>St P there were people walking through from the front towards the back
>looking for seats and I guessed that they had just walked past the
>last carriage brcause they thought it was full.)

I wonder where the reservations for coach D are here:

<http://www.perry.co.uk/images/dd-twins.jpg>
--
Roland Perry

Re: MML experience

<0h5u4hl5v0v5levqbg4lododls9bv3ri6d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27413&group=uk.railway#27413

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 18:05:11 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:05 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:33:13 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>>(And on the 20.05 return, where the fares are much cheaper, they
>>didn't bother to tell the computer to allocate seats for the
>>compulsory reservations, so I wouldn't be surprised if some had to
>>stand.
>
>Used to happen all the time with paper reservation tickets. They
>sometimes used to say their printer had broken down. But your train
>would have had electronic displays I presume?
>
>Alternatively if they change the trains configuration at the last
>minute, it can also happen.

That doesn't seem likely to have been the excuse for not allocating
seats when the ticket was issued on 27 March.(Seats were reserved on
the southbound train in the morning, ticket issued at the same time.)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkhvgPvXD0_1pJlLhNmH9zF8gNKTew?e=DpwQGh

Re: MML experience

<pj+f+9Wn$yTiFAcs@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27419&group=uk.railway#27419

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:39:35 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:39 UTC

In message <0h5u4hl5v0v5levqbg4lododls9bv3ri6d@4ax.com>, at 18:05:11 on
Thu, 7 Apr 2022, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:
>On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:33:13 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>>(And on the 20.05 return, where the fares are much cheaper, they
>>>didn't bother to tell the computer to allocate seats for the
>>>compulsory reservations, so I wouldn't be surprised if some had to
>>>stand.
>>
>>Used to happen all the time with paper reservation tickets. They
>>sometimes used to say their printer had broken down. But your train
>>would have had electronic displays I presume?
>>
>>Alternatively if they change the trains configuration at the last
>>minute, it can also happen.
>
>That doesn't seem likely to have been the excuse for not allocating
>seats when the ticket was issued on 27 March.(Seats were reserved on
>the southbound train in the morning, ticket issued at the same time.)
>https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkhvgPvXD0_1pJlLhNmH9zF8gNKTew?e=DpwQGh

A ticket for the 20:05 on the 5th April operated by a 4car Meridian (no
expense spared it seems, maybe it was all they had available).

<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C19243/2022-04-05/detai
led#allox_id=0>

On the 4th & 6th it was a 5-coach 180, and again today.

<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C19243/2022-04-07/detai
led#allox_id=0>

I strongly suspect the Meridian was a (possibly last minute)
substitution, and explains the lack of reservations, and the
crowding.
--
Roland Perry

Re: MML experience

<lbj05h1ll7emdiha23soa05hlssu0otup7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27511&group=uk.railway#27511

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:02:24 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:02 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:39:35 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>I strongly suspect the Meridian was a (possibly last minute)
>substitution, and explains the lack of reservations, and the
>crowding.

But no reservations were allocated when the ticket was issued, as
shown on the scan that I linked to, so it was not a question of not
being able to implement them on the day because the train type had
been changed.

Re: MML experience

<CwPlqZI99GUiFAh2@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27526&group=uk.railway#27526

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:23:09 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:23 UTC

In message <lbj05h1ll7emdiha23soa05hlssu0otup7@4ax.com>, at 16:02:24 on
Fri, 8 Apr 2022, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:
>On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:39:35 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>I strongly suspect the Meridian was a (possibly last minute)
>>substitution, and explains the lack of reservations, and the
>>crowding.
>
>But no reservations were allocated when the ticket was issued, as
>shown on the scan that I linked to, so it was not a question of not
>being able to implement them on the day because the train type had
>been changed.

Oh, I see. Maybe they already knew that a substitution was very likely,
and decided that a 4-car wouldn't cope well with reservations. It's not
so much the AP ticket holders, but the walk-up holders whose plans
change.
--
Roland Perry

Re: MML experience

<t2pu4g$eu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27529&group=uk.railway#27529

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:15:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YR9DN84p81GT4v7ak1sW3wwjFTg=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:15 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:39:35 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> I strongly suspect the Meridian was a (possibly last minute)
>> substitution, and explains the lack of reservations, and the
>> crowding.
>
> But no reservations were allocated when the ticket was issued, as
> shown on the scan that I linked to, so it was not a question of not
> being able to implement them on the day because the train type had
> been changed.

180s didn't have electronic seat reservations originally, and I rather
suspect they still don't. I wonder whether services booked to be
180-operated ever have seat reservations available? Or perhaps whether that
particular service ever has seat reservations available?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: MML experience

<AGiF32ML0RUiFAz9@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27534&group=uk.railway#27534

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 06:43:39 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 05:43 UTC

In message <t2pu4g$eu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:15:44 on Fri, 8 Apr 2022,
Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:39:35 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I strongly suspect the Meridian was a (possibly last minute)
>>> substitution, and explains the lack of reservations, and the
>>> crowding.
>>
>> But no reservations were allocated when the ticket was issued, as
>> shown on the scan that I linked to, so it was not a question of not
>> being able to implement them on the day because the train type had
>> been changed.
>
>180s didn't have electronic seat reservations originally, and I rather
>suspect they still don't. I wonder whether services booked to be
>180-operated ever have seat reservations available?

They only have four in service, so I suppose it's possible they could
cope with never having seat reservations. In which case the substitution
by a Meridian that particular day is a co-incidence.

Looking again, on Friday it was a 7-car Meridian. The Friday before (as
far as RTT goes, 180 again. Next Monday's not showing yet, so it'll be
interesting to see what they use.

Maybe it's usually 7-car Meridian, and both 180 and 4-car are
substitutions?

Let's try a mystery purchase for Monday's 20:05. First attempt not
looking good[1].

Trainline: No AP tickets at all available 20:05 train on Monday.
Walk-up: "No seat allocated Sit in any vacant
unreserved seat except first class".

A different service: 15:29 Sunday "Coach A, Seat 15"
Don't know the stock yet.

Today: 7-car Meridian at 15:35 "No seat allocated etc".

Let's wait until we see what Sunday and Monday brings.

>Or perhaps whether that
>particular service ever has seat reservations available?

See above.

The OP had reservations on his southbound leg, but we don't know what
type of unit, or whether they were paper or electronic

[1] Noticed 167 services cancelled at StP last Monday mainly "Issue with
train crew"!!

[2] Got thrown off EMR's website with:

"Access Denied You don't have permission to access "http://www.buyt
ickets.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/buytickets/default.aspx" on this
server.

Reference #18.bd3b3717.1649481829.9112aa0"
--
Roland Perry

Re: MML experience

<t2rf4e$hge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27538&group=uk.railway#27538

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:11:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jzgDkTSTLjfFPZ5qSSCYZc0icXY=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:11 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t2pu4g$eu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:15:44 on Fri, 8 Apr 2022,
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>> But no reservations were allocated when the ticket was issued, as
>>> shown on the scan that I linked to, so it was not a question of not
>>> being able to implement them on the day because the train type had
>>> been changed.
>>
>> 180s didn't have electronic seat reservations originally, and I rather
>> suspect they still don't. I wonder whether services booked to be
>> 180-operated ever have seat reservations available?
>
> They only have four in service, so I suppose it's possible they could
> cope with never having seat reservations. In which case the substitution
> by a Meridian that particular day is a co-incidence.
>
> Looking again, on Friday it was a 7-car Meridian. The Friday before (as
> far as RTT goes, 180 again. Next Monday's not showing yet, so it'll be
> interesting to see what they use.
>
> Maybe it's usually 7-car Meridian, and both 180 and 4-car are
> substitutions?
>
> Let's try a mystery purchase for Monday's 20:05. First attempt not
> looking good[1].
>
> Trainline: No AP tickets at all available 20:05 train on Monday.
> Walk-up: "No seat allocated Sit in any vacant
> unreserved seat except first class".
>
> A different service: 15:29 Sunday "Coach A, Seat 15"
> Don't know the stock yet.
>
> Today: 7-car Meridian at 15:35 "No seat allocated etc".
>
> Let's wait until we see what Sunday and Monday brings.
>
>> Or perhaps whether that
>> particular service ever has seat reservations available?
>
> See above.
>
> The OP had reservations on his southbound leg, but we don't know what
> type of unit, or whether they were paper or electronic

20:05 is booked 180

<https://partimespotter.wordpress.com/diagrams/class-180-diagrams/>

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: MML experience

<L0dnLhV0qVUiFAwC@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27547&group=uk.railway#27547

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:06:44 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:06 UTC

In message <t2rf4e$hge$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:11:58 on Sat, 9 Apr 2022,
Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t2pu4g$eu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:15:44 on Fri, 8 Apr 2022,
>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> 180s didn't have electronic seat reservations originally, and I rather
>>> suspect they still don't. I wonder whether services booked to be
>>> 180-operated ever have seat reservations available?
>>
>> They only have four in service, so I suppose it's possible they could
>> cope with never having seat reservations. In which case the substitution
>> by a Meridian that particular day is a co-incidence.
>>
>> Looking again, on Friday it was a 7-car Meridian. The Friday before (as
>> far as RTT goes, 180 again. Next Monday's not showing yet, so it'll be
>> interesting to see what they use.
>>
>> Maybe it's usually 7-car Meridian, and both 180 and 4-car are
>> substitutions?
>>
>> Let's try a mystery purchase for Monday's 20:05. First attempt not
>> looking good[1].
>>
>> Trainline: No AP tickets at all available 20:05 train on Monday.
>> Walk-up: "No seat allocated Sit in any vacant
>> unreserved seat except first class".
>>
>> A different service: 15:29 Sunday "Coach A, Seat 15"
>> Don't know the stock yet.
>>
>> Today: 7-car Meridian at 15:35 "No seat allocated etc".
>>
>> Let's wait until we see what Sunday and Monday brings.
>>
>>> Or perhaps whether that
>>> particular service ever has seat reservations available?
>>
>> See above.
>>
>> The OP had reservations on his southbound leg, but we don't know what
>> type of unit, or whether they were paper or electronic
>
>20:05 is booked 180
>
><https://partimespotter.wordpress.com/diagrams/class-180-diagrams/>

Thanks, so we know now it's normally[1] a 180, and coming to the
conclusion that 180's are reservable. A co-incidence that it was
replaced twice last week with a Meridian.

They've got two diagrams for four units, so maybe swaps with Meridians
are unusual.
--
Roland Perry

Re: MML experience

<t2rou4$o3o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27551&group=uk.railway#27551

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:59:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SdNj+lEoXXvhMiC7VA7kf9bIDDs=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:59 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t2rf4e$hge$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:11:58 on Sat, 9 Apr 2022,
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t2pu4g$eu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:15:44 on Fri, 8 Apr 2022,
>>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> They only have four in service, so I suppose it's possible they could
>>> cope with never having seat reservations. In which case the substitution
>>> by a Meridian that particular day is a co-incidence.
>>>
>>> Looking again, on Friday it was a 7-car Meridian. The Friday before (as
>>> far as RTT goes, 180 again. Next Monday's not showing yet, so it'll be
>>> interesting to see what they use.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's usually 7-car Meridian, and both 180 and 4-car are
>>> substitutions?
>>>
>>> Let's try a mystery purchase for Monday's 20:05. First attempt not
>>> looking good[1].
>>>
>>> Trainline: No AP tickets at all available 20:05 train on Monday.
>>> Walk-up: "No seat allocated Sit in any vacant
>>> unreserved seat except first class".
>>>
>>> A different service: 15:29 Sunday "Coach A, Seat 15"
>>> Don't know the stock yet.
>>>
>>> Today: 7-car Meridian at 15:35 "No seat allocated etc".
>>>
>>> Let's wait until we see what Sunday and Monday brings.

>>> See above.
>>>
>>> The OP had reservations on his southbound leg, but we don't know what
>>> type of unit, or whether they were paper or electronic
>>
>> 20:05 is booked 180
>>
>> <https://partimespotter.wordpress.com/diagrams/class-180-diagrams/>
>
> Thanks, so we know now it's normally[1] a 180, and coming to the
> conclusion that 180's are reservable. A co-incidence that it was
> replaced twice last week with a Meridian.
>
> They've got two diagrams for four units, so maybe swaps with Meridians
> are unusual.

Maybe not, if the 180s continue to be very unreliable? It seems to be one
bad design that proved to be incurable. Other Alstom units from the same
era are now much better.

Re: MML experience

<t2rpnu$u47$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27555&group=uk.railway#27555

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:13:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wnlDpMClP/wXgbzH5VI8MVTbRF8=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:13 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t2rf4e$hge$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:11:58 on Sat, 9 Apr 2022,
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t2pu4g$eu9$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:15:44 on Fri, 8 Apr 2022,
>>> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> They only have four in service, so I suppose it's possible they could
>>> cope with never having seat reservations. In which case the substitution
>>> by a Meridian that particular day is a co-incidence.
>>>
>>> Looking again, on Friday it was a 7-car Meridian. The Friday before (as
>>> far as RTT goes, 180 again. Next Monday's not showing yet, so it'll be
>>> interesting to see what they use.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's usually 7-car Meridian, and both 180 and 4-car are
>>> substitutions?
>>>
>>> Let's try a mystery purchase for Monday's 20:05. First attempt not
>>> looking good[1].
>>>
>>> Trainline: No AP tickets at all available 20:05 train on Monday.
>>> Walk-up: "No seat allocated Sit in any vacant
>>> unreserved seat except first class".
>>>
>>> A different service: 15:29 Sunday "Coach A, Seat 15"
>>> Don't know the stock yet.
>>>
>>> Today: 7-car Meridian at 15:35 "No seat allocated etc".
>>>
>>> Let's wait until we see what Sunday and Monday brings.

>>> See above.
>>>
>>> The OP had reservations on his southbound leg, but we don't know what
>>> type of unit, or whether they were paper or electronic
>>
>> 20:05 is booked 180
>>
>> <https://partimespotter.wordpress.com/diagrams/class-180-diagrams/>
>
> Thanks, so we know now it's normally[1] a 180, and coming to the
> conclusion that 180's are reservable. A co-incidence that it was
> replaced twice last week with a Meridian.
>
> They've got two diagrams for four units, so maybe swaps with Meridians
> are unusual.

Someone would need to check whether reservations are available on other 180
services, to be sure.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: MML experience

<i0DtrCaM7WUiFAlA@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27561&group=uk.railway#27561

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 12:32:28 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:32 UTC

In message <t2rpnu$u47$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:13:02 on Sat, 9 Apr 2022,

***************************************

>>> 20:05 is booked 180
>>>
>>> <https://partimespotter.wordpress.com/diagrams/class-180-diagrams/>
>>
>> Thanks, so we know now it's normally[1] a 180, and coming to the
>> conclusion that 180's are reservable. A co-incidence that it was
>> replaced twice last week with a Meridian.
>>
>> They've got two diagrams for four units, so maybe swaps with Meridians
>> are unusual.
>
>Someone would need to check whether reservations are available on other 180
>services, to be sure.

See above, if that's a 180 (and we don't know yet it hasn't been
swapped) it's fairly strong evidence that 180's aren't reservable.

Presumably the diagrams online are weekday only, as the times are almost
bound to be different at weekends. And I'm not spending all day today
trawling RTT looking for MML 180's to try to reserve with a last-minute
mystery buy.

--
Roland Perry

Re: MML experience

<tna55hhq75ntfq99d2h08lcg7h15r5r4ht@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27588&group=uk.railway#27588

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:05:40 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:05 UTC

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 12:32:28 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>>> Thanks, so we know now it's normally[1] a 180, and coming to the
>>> conclusion that 180's are reservable. A co-incidence that it was
>>> replaced twice last week with a Meridian.
>>>
>>> They've got two diagrams for four units, so maybe swaps with Meridians
>>> are unusual.
>>
>>Someone would need to check whether reservations are available on other 180
>>services, to be sure.
>
>See above, if that's a 180 (and we don't know yet it hasn't been
>swapped) it's fairly strong evidence that 180's aren't reservable.

Will it help to check the train type used on the 9.12 ex Leicester to
St P on 28 March? This also had no seat reservations allocated on
booking. There weren't many passengers on it either.

Re: MML experience

<4jvbuVz+0rUiFAW8@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27592&group=uk.railway#27592

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:19:26 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 11:19 UTC

In message <tna55hhq75ntfq99d2h08lcg7h15r5r4ht@4ax.com>, at 11:05:40 on
Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:

>>>Someone would need to check whether reservations are available on other 180
>>>services, to be sure.
>>
>>See above, if that's a 180 (and we don't know yet it hasn't been
>>swapped) it's fairly strong evidence that 180's aren't reservable.
>
>Will it help to check the train type used on the 9.12 ex Leicester to
>St P on 28 March? This also had no seat reservations allocated on
>booking. There weren't many passengers on it either.

Too long ago for the site I use, but on the 4th it was one of their two
180 on the route.
--
Roland Perry

Re: MML experience

<t2uufk$dci$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27593&group=uk.railway#27593

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:52:21 -0000 (UTC)
<i0DtrCaM7WUiFAlA@perry.uk>
<tna55hhq75ntfq99d2h08lcg7h15r5r4ht@4ax.com>
<4jvbuVz+0rUiFAW8@perry.uk>
sha1:hiIWw7uNDJo5LOHIHZWkC64VpDA=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:52 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <tna55hhq75ntfq99d2h08lcg7h15r5r4ht@4ax.com>, at 11:05:40 on
> Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:

>>> See above, if that's a 180 (and we don't know yet it hasn't been
>>> swapped) it's fairly strong evidence that 180's aren't reservable.
>>
>> Will it help to check the train type used on the 9.12 ex Leicester to
>> St P on 28 March? This also had no seat reservations allocated on
>> booking. There weren't many passengers on it either.
>
> Too long ago for the site I use, but on the 4th it was one of their two
> 180 on the route.

Surely what it's booked to be formed of, rather than what turns up on the
day, is more relevant when we're considering whether or not reservations
are issued when booking?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: MML experience

<65A7YW2CmwUiFAmZ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27594&group=uk.railway#27594

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:44:50 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:44 UTC

In message <t2uufk$dci$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:52:21 on Sun, 10 Apr
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <tna55hhq75ntfq99d2h08lcg7h15r5r4ht@4ax.com>, at 11:05:40 on
>> Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:

>>> Will it help to check the train type used on the 9.12 ex Leicester to
>>> St P on 28 March? This also had no seat reservations allocated on
>>> booking. There weren't many passengers on it either.
>>
>> Too long ago for the site I use, but on the 4th it was one of their two
>> 180 on the route.
>
>Surely what it's booked to be formed of, rather than what turns up on the
>day, is more relevant when we're considering whether or not reservations
>are issued when booking?

We are rapidly coming to the conclusion that if the service was booked
for a 180, they won't issue seat reservations, irrespective of what
turns up on the day.

--
Roland Perry