Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
From: roo...@example.net (johnson)
Subject: excitement at Merchant Tailors'
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:40:39 GMT
 by: johnson - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:40 UTC

What a thriller between Middlesex and Northamptonshire!
I seem to recall that in the olden days the side batting
last in a drawn match with the scores level were awarded
an extra point or two.

Re: excitement at Merchant Tailors'

<+zt5OmB0rWskFwP5@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27440&group=uk.sport.cricket#27440

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: excitement at Merchant Tailors'
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:34:12 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:34 UTC

In message <rK8sM.345488$pWu2.291811@usenetxs.com>, johnson
<root@example.net> writes
>What a thriller between Middlesex and Northamptonshire!
>I seem to recall that in the olden days the side batting
>last in a drawn match with the scores level were awarded
>an extra point or two.

Yes, I think they received the same points as they would have for a tie,
which seems fair enough. Otherwise they would effectively have been
penalised for not losing all their wickets.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed