The sheep that fly over your head are soon to land.

aus+uk / aus.cars / OT: pilot vessel grounding

SubjectAuthor
* OT: pilot vessel groundinglindsay
+* Re: OT: pilot vessel groundingNoddy
|`- Re: OT: pilot vessel groundingDaryl
+- Re: OT: pilot vessel groundingDaryl
`* Re: OT: pilot vessel groundingKeithr0
 `* Re: OT: pilot vessel groundinglindsay
  +- Re: OT: pilot vessel groundinglindsay
  `* Re: OT: pilot vessel groundingKeithr0
   `- Re: OT: pilot vessel groundingXeno

1
OT: pilot vessel grounding

<hzNTM.10400$MJ59.5169@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27463&group=aus.cars#27463

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: OT: pilot vessel grounding
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:12:26 +1100
 by: lindsay - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 06:12 UTC

Pilot vessel Corsair ran aground on a marked reef just outside Port
Phillip Heads this morning. On the wrong side of a cardinal marker as
far as marine traffic is showing. Amazing no-one was killed.

Those Hart pilot boats are supposed to withstand anything thrown at them
huge seas, rollovers, just not reefs. The boat has broken up and mostly
floated to shore, the engine is still on the reef.

https://imgur.com/a/jViFjcw is the Corsair coming to pick up the pilot
from a ship we were on. One on the sweetest sounding engines i've ever
heard...

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<ufoa06$1du6e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27465&group=aus.cars#27465

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:37:57 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 06:37 UTC

On 6/10/2023 5:12 pm, lindsay wrote:

> Pilot vessel Corsair ran aground on a marked reef just outside Port
> Phillip Heads this morning. On the wrong side of a cardinal marker as
> far as marine traffic is showing. Amazing no-one was killed.
>
> Those Hart pilot boats are supposed to withstand anything thrown at them
> huge seas, rollovers, just not reefs. The boat has broken up and mostly
> floated to shore, the engine is still on the reef.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/jViFjcw is the Corsair coming to pick up the pilot
> from a ship we were on. One on the sweetest sounding engines i've ever
> heard...

Fucking hell. Kind of ironic that a pilot vessel would run aground on a
reef, isn't it? :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<koa9m9FrgjsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27479&group=aus.cars#27479

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 22:34:32 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:34 UTC

On 6/10/2023 5:12 pm, lindsay wrote:

> Pilot vessel Corsair ran aground on a marked reef just outside Port
> Phillip Heads this morning. On the wrong side of a cardinal marker as
> far as marine traffic is showing. Amazing no-one was killed.
>
> Those Hart pilot boats are supposed to withstand anything thrown at them
> huge seas, rollovers, just not reefs. The boat has broken up and mostly
> floated to shore, the engine is still on the reef.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/jViFjcw is the Corsair coming to pick up the pilot
> from a ship we were on. One on the sweetest sounding engines i've ever
> heard...

Makes you wonder how such experienced highly trained people can make
such a rookie mistake.
Even if the weather was bad enough to hinder visibility their nav
systems should have told them where they were and where they should be,
the investigation will be interesting.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<koa9o3FrgjsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27480&group=aus.cars#27480

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 22:35:31 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:35 UTC

On 6/10/2023 5:37 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/10/2023 5:12 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>

>> Pilot vessel Corsair ran aground on a marked reef just outside Port
>> Phillip Heads this morning. On the wrong side of a cardinal marker as
>> far as marine traffic is showing. Amazing no-one was killed.
>>
>> Those Hart pilot boats are supposed to withstand anything thrown at
>> them huge seas, rollovers, just not reefs. The boat has broken up and
>> mostly floated to shore, the engine is still on the reef.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/jViFjcw is the Corsair coming to pick up the pilot
>> from a ship we were on. One on the sweetest sounding engines i've ever
>> heard...
>
> Fucking hell. Kind of ironic that a pilot vessel would run aground on a
> reef, isn't it? :)

Incredibly so, of all people they should know where they are and where
they are going better than anyone else.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<kohn4kF4l4kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27639&group=aus.cars#27639

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 17:07:01 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 07:07 UTC

On 6/10/2023 4:12 pm, lindsay wrote:

> Pilot vessel Corsair ran aground on a marked reef just outside Port
> Phillip Heads this morning. On the wrong side of a cardinal marker as
> far as marine traffic is showing. Amazing no-one was killed.
>
> Those Hart pilot boats are supposed to withstand anything thrown at them
> huge seas, rollovers, just not reefs. The boat has broken up and mostly
> floated to shore, the engine is still on the reef.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/jViFjcw is the Corsair coming to pick up the pilot
> from a ship we were on. One on the sweetest sounding engines i've ever
> heard...

A friend (actually exists) used to be in immigration in Hobart. He got a
ride in one of those, the seats all had 4 point harnesses. The helmsman
reckoned that the speed is 20 knots no matter what the sea state. I
thought that they were faster than that.

I have admiration for the way that pilots transfer boat to boat even in
heavy seas.

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<qx_UM.3277$qoC8.1484@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27666&group=aus.cars#27666

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 08:47:00 +1100
 by: lindsay - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

On 9/10/2023 6:07 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 6/10/2023 4:12 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>

>> Pilot vessel Corsair ran aground on a marked reef just outside Port
>> Phillip Heads this morning. On the wrong side of a cardinal marker as
>> far as marine traffic is showing. Amazing no-one was killed.
>>
>> Those Hart pilot boats are supposed to withstand anything thrown at
>> them huge seas, rollovers, just not reefs. The boat has broken up and
>> mostly floated to shore, the engine is still on the reef.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/jViFjcw is the Corsair coming to pick up the pilot
>> from a ship we were on. One on the sweetest sounding engines i've ever
>> heard...
>
> A friend (actually exists) used to be in immigration in Hobart. He got a
> ride in one of those, the seats all had 4 point harnesses. The helmsman
> reckoned that the speed is 20 knots no matter what the sea state. I
> thought that they were faster than that.

Thats very surprising.... Marine Traffic says this about the Nepean
(sister to Corsair) Speed recorded (Max / Average): 22.7 knots / 16.8
knots And i would have thought max would have been 30 knots and above.

> I have admiration for the way that pilots transfer boat to boat even in
> heavy seas.

Seen it done a few times, and it's not for the faint-hearted
(me!)probably see it again soonish.. off to Adelaide/Kangaroo Is is a
couple of weeks, then 13 dayer around New Zealand. That'll test the
relationship and the liver. :-)

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<TD_UM.15986$MJ59.2199@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27667&group=aus.cars#27667

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 08:53:54 +1100
 by: lindsay - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 21:53 UTC

On 10/10/2023 8:47 am, lindsay wrote:

>> A friend (actually exists) used to be in immigration in Hobart. He got
>> a ride in one of those, the seats all had 4 point harnesses. The
>> helmsman reckoned that the speed is 20 knots no matter what the sea
>> state. I thought that they were faster than that.
>
> Thats very surprising.... Marine Traffic says this about the Nepean
> (sister to Corsair) Speed recorded (Max / Average): 22.7 knots / 16.8
> knots And i would have thought max would have been 30 knots and above.

just found this on Harts website https://hartmarine.com.au/pages/orc-173
max speed: >35 knots Nice!

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<kojd8mFe1ohU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27669&group=aus.cars#27669

From: nothing....@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 08:30:47 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 22:30 UTC

On 10/10/2023 7:47 am, lindsay wrote:
> On 9/10/2023 6:07 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> On 6/10/2023 4:12 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>>

>>> Pilot vessel Corsair ran aground on a marked reef just outside Port
>>> Phillip Heads this morning. On the wrong side of a cardinal marker as
>>> far as marine traffic is showing. Amazing no-one was killed.
>>>
>>> Those Hart pilot boats are supposed to withstand anything thrown at
>>> them huge seas, rollovers, just not reefs. The boat has broken up and
>>> mostly floated to shore, the engine is still on the reef.
>>>
>>> https://imgur.com/a/jViFjcw is the Corsair coming to pick up the
>>> pilot from a ship we were on. One on the sweetest sounding engines
>>> i've ever heard...
>>
>> A friend (actually exists) used to be in immigration in Hobart. He got
>> a ride in one of those, the seats all had 4 point harnesses. The
>> helmsman reckoned that the speed is 20 knots no matter what the sea
>> state. I thought that they were faster than that.
>
> Thats very surprising.... Marine Traffic says this about the Nepean
> (sister to Corsair) Speed recorded (Max / Average): 22.7 knots / 16.8
> knots And i would have thought max would have been 30 knots and above.

Don't know, it may just the way that they operated there, I'll ask Peter
when I see him, but that will be some time away.

>> I have admiration for the way that pilots transfer boat to boat even
>> in heavy seas.
>
> Seen it done a few times, and it's not for the faint-hearted
> (me!)probably see it again soonish.. off to Adelaide/Kangaroo Is is a
> couple of weeks, then 13 dayer around New Zealand. That'll test the
> relationship and the liver. :-)

We're off soon on a 45 day epic, then next March for a Panama transit.
That may be it, insurance is getting to be a killer.

Re: OT: pilot vessel grounding

<kojdkfFemukU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27670&group=aus.cars#27670

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 09:37:02 +1100
 by: Xeno - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 22:37 UTC

On 10/10/2023 9:30 am, Keithr0 wrote:

> We're off soon on a 45 day epic, then next March for a Panama transit.
> That may be it, insurance is getting to be a killer.

You're not wrong. A friend of mine, at 84, pays way more for the travel
insurance than he does for his airline ticket. He just returned from
what he says will be his last trip to Surabaya, Indonesia.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)