The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Gippsland fires and floods..lindsay
+- Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..Daryl
+* Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..Noddy
`* Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..jonz@ nothere.com
 `* Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..lindsay
  `- Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..jonz@ nothere.com

Pages:12
Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko785vFc44rU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27335&group=aus.cars#27335

From: me...@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 18:50:23 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:50 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:55:30 +1100, lindsay
> <nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On 5/10/2023 12:04 pm, Peter Jason wrote:

>>> Serves you right for living outside the traffic-light zone.
>> I live in Melbourne. Plenty of traffic lights here.
>>
>> Isn't it about time you burst into tears about others headlights again?
> I'll wait until winter.

lots more reflections in wet weather too

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<uflq3j$rd29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27337&group=aus.cars#27337

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 18:54:27 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:54 UTC

On 5/10/2023 6:23 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 5:54 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> No fires here fortunately, but the wind was all over the place here as
>> well. In fact I'd just had a new 15kW solar system put on the shed
>> roof a few days before, and I fully expected it to not be there in the
>> morning when I got up. The wind at around 3am was was horrendous.
>

> Never heard a thing, my wife wears a mouth guard at night to protect her
> teeth and it makes her snore so I wear ear plugs:-)

Lol :) It was bad. Lots of trees down in places & shit blown everywhere.
Nothing happened here though which was good.

> I hear that you are now the main power station in your area:-)

Heh :)

All up and running and very happy. Just waiting for the inspector to
come out and sign off.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<uflsss$s056$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27349&group=aus.cars#27349

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 15:42:03 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:42 UTC

On 5/10/2023 2:15 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 2:38 pm, Clocky wrote:
>> On 5/10/2023 11:02 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>

>>> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>>> the house in a fire or flood.
>
> Poor felix. afraid.
>

>> I'm no hippy but I like trees and nature so it's a risk (and higher
>> insurance premiums) that I'm willing to accept. I'm also close to the
>> water so it's a great lifestyle.
>>
>> But everyone is different.
>>
> exactly. I'm the opposite of greenie,  but I also love wildlife, so much
> so I've befriended a wallaby we've named Boing, who rocks up most nights.

Yeah we have a pair of possums that visit nightly as well king skinks,
goannas, a large python that hangs around the place, countless birds and
bandicoots.

Great to sit outside with a beer at night or a coffee in the morning and
stroll to the bay, or ride a K or so the shop or yacht club or short
drive to the beach.

> I chose to have a block where it is for my own reasons. I also pay
> exorbitant insurance, and the Fire Assistance Levy in my rates for the
> place.

Yep, sounds like you're like me and it's just the price you have to pay
for the lifestyle you choose to live. Life is risky and the biggest risk
is from the punches you don't see coming.

I can prepare for a fire and already have a plan in place, not worried
about that one bit.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<uflt4t$s056$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27350&group=aus.cars#27350

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 15:46:21 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:46 UTC

On 5/10/2023 1:29 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Clocky wrote:

>>> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>>> the house in a fire or flood.
>>>

>> I'm no hippy but I like trees and nature so it's a risk (and higher
>> insurance premiums) that I'm willing to accept. I'm also close to the
>> water so it's a great lifestyle.
>>
>> But everyone is different.
>>

> certainly nice to live in those surroundings but not a risk I can
> accept.

Floods, earthquakes and fires hit cities too you know.

also there's the convenience of having everything one needs
> available in the burbs

It's not that far to town... even Dominoes and Woolies deliver here you
know :-)

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<0xHTM.15605$tnmf.8391@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27397&group=aus.cars#27397

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:20:25 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:20 UTC

On 5/10/2023 6:54 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 6:23 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 5/10/2023 5:54 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> No fires here fortunately, but the wind was all over the place here
>>> as well. In fact I'd just had a new 15kW solar system put on the shed
>>> roof a few days before, and I fully expected it to not be there in
>>> the morning when I got up. The wind at around 3am was was horrendous.
>>

>> Never heard a thing, my wife wears a mouth guard at night to protect
>> her teeth and it makes her snore so I wear ear plugs:-)
>
> Lol :) It was bad. Lots of trees down in places & shit blown everywhere.
> Nothing happened here though which was good.
>
>> I hear that you are now the main power station in your area:-)
>
> Heh :)
>
> All up and running and very happy. Just waiting for the inspector to
> come out and sign off.

mine's been running a little over a week now.. seems on a bright sunny
day it generates a tad over 50kwh a day, which is cool, as our average
daily consumption is 22kwh :-)

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufnia3$16flh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27408&group=aus.cars#27408

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:53:38 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:53 UTC

On 6/10/2023 10:20 am, lindsay wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 6:54 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 5/10/2023 6:23 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> I hear that you are now the main power station in your area:-)
>>
>> Heh :)
>>
>> All up and running and very happy. Just waiting for the inspector to
>> come out and sign off.
>
> mine's been running a little over a week now.. seems on a bright sunny
> day it generates a tad over 50kwh a day, which is cool, as our average
> daily consumption is 22kwh :-)

Grouse :)

I think we average around 30kW a day, and most of that would be from me
in the shed although the wife working from home 3 days a week with a
telly on, two pc screens and a laptop running all day probably doesn't
help :)

Just looking at the phone app and in the 8 days since the new system has
been installed it reports that it's generated 379kW. I'm not unhappy
about that.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko9cifFmpc7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27436&group=aus.cars#27436

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 14:17:34 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 03:17 UTC

On 6/10/2023 10:53 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/10/2023 10:20 am, lindsay wrote:

>>> Heh :)
>>>
>>> All up and running and very happy. Just waiting for the inspector to
>>> come out and sign off.
>>
>> mine's been running a little over a week now.. seems on a bright sunny
>> day it generates a tad over 50kwh a day, which is cool, as our average
>> daily consumption is 22kwh :-)
>
> Grouse :)
>
> I think we average around 30kW a day, and most of that would be from me
> in the shed although the wife working from home 3 days a week with a
> telly on, two pc screens and a laptop running all day probably doesn't
> help :)
>
> Just looking at the phone app and in the 8 days since the new system has
> been installed it reports that it's generated 379kW. I'm not unhappy
> about that.

Nice.
Just checked mine, in the 3.8yrs that's its been running its generated
36.56MWh.
Shame that feed in tariffs are so low because most of ours is exported,
we use on average less than 10kwh per day.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<i81vhihh228smvsgbibac63o3d8b7pc1tc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27447&group=aus.cars#27447

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 14:56:02 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 03:56 UTC

On Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:47:37 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:55:30 +1100, lindsay
><nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:
>
>>On 5/10/2023 12:04 pm, Peter Jason wrote:

>>> Serves you right for living outside the traffic-light zone.
>>
>>I live in Melbourne. Plenty of traffic lights here.
>>
>>Isn't it about time you burst into tears about others headlights again?
>
>I'll wait until winter. They're brighter then. In the meantime there
>are other things to weep over.

Yeah man; there is one gross folly foisted on the working poor, and I
refer to Daylight "Saving"
Curiously this abomination occurs in Summer when daylight is
plentiful, instead of in Winter when daylight is scarce.
On this I have cried in the wilderness many times and in all sorts of
newsgroups only to be greeted with ridicule and scorn.
Those, like me, who awaken early and drive to work have to endure the
blinding rising sun not once, but twice a year. And it follows
therefore I am dazzled by a constellation of high-actinic headlights
also twice a year!!
Who hasn't cursed the never-setting sun on hot days, especially when
working in the late afternoon?
And of course there's the tedium of clock changing twice a year,
perched on tall ladders always in fear of falling; I'm sure I'll
crack my skull one year.
Statistically there are more car crashes at changeover times because
drivers are jetlagged and dopey.
I'm sure there are some here who will agree with me.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufo14c$1ck4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27454&group=aus.cars#27454

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:06:37 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 04:06 UTC

On 6/10/2023 2:17 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 6/10/2023 10:53 am, Noddy wrote:

>> Just looking at the phone app and in the 8 days since the new system
>> has been installed it reports that it's generated 379kW. I'm not
>> unhappy about that.
>>

> Nice.
> Just checked mine, in the 3.8yrs that's its been running its generated
> 36.56MWh.

Fucking hell. You got a nuclear reactor in your garage or something? :)

> Shame that feed in tariffs are so low because most of ours is exported,
> we use on average less than 10kwh per day.

Fortunately Powercor saw fit to approve my installation without any
export limits being applied, so within 4 years I should be in the black.
Even with the crappy feed in rates.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufoa54$1du6e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27466&group=aus.cars#27466

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:40:36 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 06:40 UTC

On 6/10/2023 2:56 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:47:37 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

> Yeah man; there is one gross folly foisted on the working poor, and I
> refer to Daylight "Saving"
> Curiously this abomination occurs in Summer when daylight is
> plentiful, instead of in Winter when daylight is scarce.
> On this I have cried in the wilderness many times and in all sorts of
> newsgroups only to be greeted with ridicule and scorn.
> Those, like me, who awaken early and drive to work have to endure the
> blinding rising sun not once, but twice a year. And it follows
> therefore I am dazzled by a constellation of high-actinic headlights
> also twice a year!!
> Who hasn't cursed the never-setting sun on hot days, especially when
> working in the late afternoon?
> And of course there's the tedium of clock changing twice a year,
> perched on tall ladders always in fear of falling; I'm sure I'll
> crack my skull one year.
> Statistically there are more car crashes at changeover times because
> drivers are jetlagged and dopey.
> I'm sure there are some here who will agree with me.

Fuck me. Whatever your meds are, you need to talk to your doctor about
upping the dose.

I can see an extra name getting added to the spastic filter pretty soon
I expect....

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<8c160609-a592-42ce-b250-6b9c00b80b95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27467&group=aus.cars#27467

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 00:07:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 07:07 UTC

On Thursday, 5 October 2023 at 17:09:14 UTC+11, lindsay wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 2:20 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, 5 October 2023 at 09:50:56 UTC+11, lindsay wrote:
> >> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
> >>
> >> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
> >> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
> >> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
> >> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
> >> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
> >> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
> >> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
> >> damage down on the flats.
> >>
> >> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Was wondering how your place went!. Good news.
> very.
> > Stinking hot and blow the dog off the chain westerlies here. But all good.
> > Had the fire across the road here last time and was having visions of a repeat performance...:(
> Seen some pics of the Bega valley... some of the most verdant farmland,
> and now it's a tinderbox waiting to explode.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They ended up with two houses lost and two damaged. quite a few sheds etc. lost as well.

> the rain in Gippsland over the last 2 days will improve things down
> here, but for how long? It's only gunna dry out again...

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko9rs3FpapeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27469&group=aus.cars#27469

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 18:38:43 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 07:38 UTC

On 6/10/2023 5:40 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/10/2023 2:56 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:47:37 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah man;  there is one gross folly foisted on the working poor, and I
>> refer to Daylight "Saving"
>> Curiously this abomination occurs in Summer when daylight is
>> plentiful, instead of in Winter when daylight is scarce.
>> On this I have cried in the wilderness many times and in all sorts of
>> newsgroups only to be greeted with ridicule and scorn.
>> Those, like me, who awaken early and drive to work have to endure the
>> blinding rising sun not once, but twice a year.  And it follows
>> therefore I am dazzled by a constellation of high-actinic headlights
>> also twice a year!!
>> Who hasn't cursed the never-setting sun on hot days, especially when
>> working in the late afternoon?
>> And of course there's the tedium of clock changing twice a year,
>> perched on tall ladders always in fear of falling;  I'm sure I'll
>> crack my skull one year.
>> Statistically there are more car crashes at changeover times because
>> drivers are jetlagged and dopey.
>> I'm sure there are some here who will agree with me.
>
> Fuck me. Whatever your meds are, you need to talk to your doctor about
> upping the dose.

You're already on the maximum dose Darren!

> I can see an extra name getting added to the spastic filter pretty soon
> I expect....

Need a *lie filter* for the likes of you!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<koaa00FrgjsU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27481&group=aus.cars#27481

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 22:39:44 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:39 UTC

On 6/10/2023 3:06 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/10/2023 2:17 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 6/10/2023 10:53 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Just looking at the phone app and in the 8 days since the new system
>>> has been installed it reports that it's generated 379kW. I'm not
>>> unhappy about that.
>>>

>> Nice.
>> Just checked mine, in the 3.8yrs that's its been running its generated
>> 36.56MWh.
>
> Fucking hell. You got a nuclear reactor in your garage or something? :)

Shh, don't tell anyone:-)

>> Shame that feed in tariffs are so low because most of ours is
>> exported, we use on average less than 10kwh per day.
>
> Fortunately Powercor saw fit to approve my installation without any
> export limits being applied, so within 4 years I should be in the black.
> Even with the crappy feed in rates.

Nice, no more power bills for you ever:-)
I got lucky because mine was the first house completed
in my street and the first with solar, others weren't so lucky and they
have export limits.
Friends that visited here today have an old system still on the 60c FIT
and he's not happy that it runs out next year.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufq038$1trta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27490&group=aus.cars#27490

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:01:11 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 22:01 UTC

On 6/10/2023 10:39 pm, Daryl wrote:

>> Fortunately Powercor saw fit to approve my installation without any
>> export limits being applied, so within 4 years I should be in the
>> black. Even with the crappy feed in rates.
>>

> Nice, no more power bills for you ever:-)

Hopefully :)

> I got lucky because mine was the first house completed
> in my street and the first with solar, others weren't so lucky and they
> have export limits.
> Friends that visited here today have an old system still on the 60c FIT
> and he's not happy that it runs out next year.

Yeah, I wouldn't be either.

Regards,
Noddy.