Things equal to nothing else are equal to each other.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Bluetooth range extender

SubjectAuthor
* Bluetooth range extenderTony Gamble
+* Re: Bluetooth range extenderMB
|`* Re: Bluetooth range extenderTony Gamble
| `* Re: Bluetooth range extenderMB
|  `- Re: Bluetooth range extenderBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+- Re: Bluetooth range extenderBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Bluetooth range extenderRoderick Stewart
 `- Re: Bluetooth range extenderTony Gamble

1
Bluetooth range extender

<isr63bFedhvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27562&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27562

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Bluetooth range extender
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 18:01:30 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:01 UTC

The chat about Digital Voice introduced me to the technology of linking
a mobile phone to a DECT home phone system.

It would suit our home perfectly as my wife is not someone who carries
her cellphone from room to room. Consequently she misses calls.

The link for the Panasonic DECT kit I have just ordered needs bluetooth
from my wife's phone.

I am worried that the link will be weak and have been looking for a
bluetooth range extender. I want something that picks up the signal and
passes it on with a bit of amplification. Input or output wires are not
going to be possible.

I can find lots of devices that purport to do that for wifi.

Does anyone know of something to do it with bluetooth?

Tony

Re: Bluetooth range extender

<ska8qb$7hf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27584&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27584

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Bluetooth range extender
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 22:53:10 +0100
 by: MB - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:53 UTC

On 14/10/2021 18:01, Tony Gamble wrote:
> The link for the Panasonic DECT kit I have just ordered needs bluetooth
> from my wife's phone.

And of course there will be presumably be no compatibility with the
phone numbers stored in the phones so they will not be able to be
transferred from one "phone book" to another.

Re: Bluetooth range extender

<issi9gFmcmaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27586&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27586

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:35:44 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 05:35 UTC

On 14/10/2021 22:53, MB wrote:
> On 14/10/2021 18:01, Tony Gamble wrote:
>> The link for the Panasonic DECT kit I have just ordered needs bluetooth
>> from my wife's phone.
>
> And of course there will be presumably be no compatibility with the
> phone numbers stored in the phones so they will not be able to be
> transferred from one "phone book" to another.

No need for that. My wife will make her outgoing calls from where the
phone normally sits in its charger.

We want the bluetooth link to the DECT so that, whilst the phone is on
charge on her desk, she can know a call is coming in whilst she is in
the kitchen where there is a DECT landline phone.

Re: Bluetooth range extender

<skbbmc$dnk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27589&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27589

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:48:23 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 07:48 UTC

On 15/10/2021 06:35, Tony Gamble wrote:
> No need for that. My wife will make her outgoing calls from where the
> phone normally sits in its charger.

But if there was compatability, the Bluetooth linked phone would display
who is calling as well as allow you pick a number from phone book in the
phone.

Re: Bluetooth range extender

<skbfjo$qt5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27597&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27597

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:54:09 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:54 UTC

Not really as so many things use bluetooth. They are designed with short
ranges in mind I understand.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tony Gamble" <tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> The chat about Digital Voice introduced me to the technology of linking a
> mobile phone to a DECT home phone system.
>
> It would suit our home perfectly as my wife is not someone who carries her
> cellphone from room to room. Consequently she misses calls.
>
> The link for the Panasonic DECT kit I have just ordered needs bluetooth
> from my wife's phone.
>
> I am worried that the link will be weak and have been looking for a
> bluetooth range extender. I want something that picks up the signal and
> passes it on with a bit of amplification. Input or output wires are not
> going to be possible.
>
> I can find lots of devices that purport to do that for wifi.
>
> Does anyone know of something to do it with bluetooth?
>
> Tony

Re: Bluetooth range extender

<skbfqr$v2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27599&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27599

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:57:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:57 UTC

I know the Amazon Echo series of speakers can use the phonebook of your
mobile to allow it to work as a speaker phone, and can even dial a dictated
number. Whether you can arrange it to indicate an incoming call, i have not
investigated, but it may be possible. You can certainly drop in to other
peoples echos if they allow it. I don't as I use mine mostly for audio
entertainment through the hi fi.

"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:skbbmc$dnk$1@dont-email.me...
> On 15/10/2021 06:35, Tony Gamble wrote:
>> No need for that. My wife will make her outgoing calls from where the
>> phone normally sits in its charger.
>
> But if there was compatability, the Bluetooth linked phone would display
> who is calling as well as allow you pick a number from phone book in the
> phone.

Re: Bluetooth range extender

<gdgimgt8k0tgorqgq0n9kdupgi1lcrgt13@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27600&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27600

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:04:04 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:04 UTC

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 18:01:30 +0100, Tony Gamble
<tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:

>The chat about Digital Voice introduced me to the technology of linking
>a mobile phone to a DECT home phone system.
>
>It would suit our home perfectly as my wife is not someone who carries
>her cellphone from room to room. Consequently she misses calls.
>
>The link for the Panasonic DECT kit I have just ordered needs bluetooth
>from my wife's phone.
>
>I am worried that the link will be weak and have been looking for a
>bluetooth range extender. I want something that picks up the signal and
>passes it on with a bit of amplification. Input or output wires are not
>going to be possible.
>
>I can find lots of devices that purport to do that for wifi.
>
>Does anyone know of something to do it with bluetooth?
>
>Tony

I don't know if Bluetooth's range for voice is different from the
range for remote controls, but if you have a TV internet streaming
device such as an Amazon stick, you can easily check the latter, which
might give an indication of what the former is likely to be. I've
found that remotes for these devices can control them from any room in
my house. Maybe you won't need an extender after all?

Rod.

Re: Bluetooth range extender

<ist4s3Fpqk2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27611&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27611

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:52:50 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:52 UTC

On 15/10/2021 10:04, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 18:01:30 +0100, Tony Gamble
> <tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>> The chat about Digital Voice introduced me to the technology of linking
>> a mobile phone to a DECT home phone system.
>>
>> It would suit our home perfectly as my wife is not someone who carries
>> her cellphone from room to room. Consequently she misses calls.
>>
>> The link for the Panasonic DECT kit I have just ordered needs bluetooth
>>from my wife's phone.
>>
>> I am worried that the link will be weak and have been looking for a
>> bluetooth range extender. I want something that picks up the signal and
>> passes it on with a bit of amplification. Input or output wires are not
>> going to be possible.
>>
>> I can find lots of devices that purport to do that for wifi.
>>
>> Does anyone know of something to do it with bluetooth?
>>
>> Tony
>
> I don't know if Bluetooth's range for voice is different from the
> range for remote controls, but if you have a TV internet streaming
> device such as an Amazon stick, you can easily check the latter, which
> might give an indication of what the former is likely to be. I've
> found that remotes for these devices can control them from any room in
> my house. Maybe you won't need an extender after all?
>
> Rod.

Thanks Rod.

I have put two Android tablets in the place where my wife's cellphone is
docked and in the place the DECT unit will sit. They see each other's
bluetooth.

In the review of the Panasonic kit that is coming someone says that the
volume when picking up a cellphone call is weak. It may be because he
had it adjusted wrongly or it may be a weak bluetooth link. For us that
might not be the end of the world as the most important thing is to be
told there is an incoming cellphone call when my wife is in another
room. She could then pick up the call on the DECT phone and go to the
room where the cellphone is docked to have the conversation. What is
annoying presently is simply not being aware of someone ringing on the
cellphone number - and more and more folk do that as they use 'ringback'.

I will report progress - or lack of it - over the weekend.

Tony