Kitchen activity is highlighted. Butter up a friend.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from British maker

SubjectAuthor
* New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from British makerswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike fromJNugent
`* Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike fromswldx...@gmail.com
 +* Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific chav-bike fromJNugent
 |`- Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specificSpike
 `- Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike fromswldx...@gmail.com

1
New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from British maker

<98d61c7c-cf3e-443f-b04c-acd1cf8a8ccdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27601&group=uk.rec.cycling#27601

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 11:45:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from British maker
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 18:45 UTC

At Eurobike 2023, the brand displayed the Moulton NS Safari, the first of its bikes to feature disc brakes on the front and rear wheels.

The small-wheeled bike is said to be suitable for “all kinds of terrain”, ranging from tarmac to gravel.

The bike packs intriguing suspension technology and is built with a Campagnolo Ekar groupset.

The NS Safari’s frame is what Moulton calls a ‘space-frame design’.

This design was first released in 1983 after Alex Moulton, the originator of the Moulton, conceptualised the idea six years prior to achieving a lightweight frame that also provided lateral stiffness and torsional rigidity.

The frame has a fillet-brazed construction and uses Columbus Spirit, Kaisei NiCrMo and Reynolds steel.

The frame can be split into halves to make it easy to transport. Unlike folding bikes, which are hinged, Moulton bikes can be divided into halves to make them easy to transport.

Alex Moulton was an engineer and inventor renowned for his suspension designs, notably rubber suspension systems for cars, including the Mini.

He began using rubber suspension systems on bicycles and the NS Safari features this technology.

Moulton’s international sales executive, Steven Harvey, explained to BikeRadar that rubber suspension relies on shear rather than compression.

Harvey provided the analogy of twisting the muscle on your arm, where resistance increases as you twist.

The fork of the NS Safari features Moulton’s Flexitor suspension, which uses rubber. This design does not have bearings or friction and doesn’t need servicing, according to Moulton.

The NS Safari features Moulton’s Hydroelastic suspension with a sealed rear-fork pivot.

The Moulton NS Safari features a titanium seatpost and handlebar stem.

With its eyes on gravel riding, the bike has a 13-speed Campagnolo Ekar groupset. The groupset has a 44t front chainring and a 9-36t cassette.

The 20in Moulton DTR20 wheels are held in the frame with 12mm thru-axles and shod with Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres.

The NS Safari can fit a front pannier rack, rear platform carrier and a rear day bag carrier.

The bike has a claimed weight of 10kg. Harvey said the brand hopes to have the NS Safari available for purchase before Christmas.

Moulton builds its own jigs for production in-house and is still refining some of the bike’s features. So producing the bikes by the end of the year is dependent on the brand finalising its production line.

The Moulton NS Safari will retail for £10,950.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2023-moulton-ns-safari/

Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from British maker

<kfpalqFkshfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27602&group=uk.rec.cycling#27602

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from
British maker
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 23:56:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 22:56 UTC

> At Eurobike 2023, the brand displayed the Moulton NS Safari, the first of its bikes to feature disc brakes on the front and rear wheels.
>
> The small-wheeled bike is said to be suitable for “all kinds of terrain”, ranging from tarmac to gravel.
>
> The bike packs intriguing suspension technology and is built with a Campagnolo Ekar groupset.
>
> The NS Safari’s frame is what Moulton calls a ‘space-frame design’.
>
> This design was first released in 1983 after Alex Moulton, the originator of the Moulton, conceptualised the idea six years prior to achieving a lightweight frame that also provided lateral stiffness and torsional rigidity.
>
> The frame has a fillet-brazed construction and uses Columbus Spirit, Kaisei NiCrMo and Reynolds steel.
>
> The frame can be split into halves to make it easy to transport. Unlike folding bikes, which are hinged, Moulton bikes can be divided into halves to make them easy to transport.
>
> Alex Moulton was an engineer and inventor renowned for his suspension designs, notably rubber suspension systems for cars, including the Mini.
>
> He began using rubber suspension systems on bicycles and the NS Safari features this technology.
>
> Moulton’s international sales executive, Steven Harvey, explained to BikeRadar that rubber suspension relies on shear rather than compression.
>
> Harvey provided the analogy of twisting the muscle on your arm, where resistance increases as you twist.
>
> The fork of the NS Safari features Moulton’s Flexitor suspension, which uses rubber. This design does not have bearings or friction and doesn’t need servicing, according to Moulton.
>
> The NS Safari features Moulton’s Hydroelastic suspension with a sealed rear-fork pivot.
>
> The Moulton NS Safari features a titanium seatpost and handlebar stem.
>
> With its eyes on gravel riding, the bike has a 13-speed Campagnolo Ekar groupset. The groupset has a 44t front chainring and a 9-36t cassette.
>
> The 20in Moulton DTR20 wheels are held in the frame with 12mm thru-axles and shod with Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres.
>
> The NS Safari can fit a front pannier rack, rear platform carrier and a rear day bag carrier.
>
> The bike has a claimed weight of 10kg. Harvey said the brand hopes to have the NS Safari available for purchase before Christmas.
>
> Moulton builds its own jigs for production in-house and is still refining some of the bike’s features. So producing the bikes by the end of the year is dependent on the brand finalising its production line.
>
> The Moulton NS Safari will retail for £10,950.
>
> https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2023-moulton-ns-safari/

....and chav-cyclists should not be allowed to ride anything cheaper on
the highway (or, for that matter, on the footway).

Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from British maker

<b7194f87-3729-42f8-ae7c-7f52748cc5a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27604&group=uk.rec.cycling#27604

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 22:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
British maker
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 05:01 UTC

QUOTE: The NS Safari features Moulton’s Hydroelastic suspension with a sealed rear-fork pivot. ENDS

I've had cars with hydrolastic and hydragas suspension designed by the same outfit.

Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific chav-bike from British maker

<kfqrlpFrte9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27622&group=uk.rec.cycling#27622

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific chav-bike from
British maker
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 13:53:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 12:53 UTC

On 25/06/2023 06:01 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: The NS Safari features Moulton’s Hydroelastic suspension with a sealed rear-fork pivot. ENDS

> I've had cars with hydrolastic and hydragas suspension designed by the same outfit...

....and they (Longbridge's finest) were rubbish too.

Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific chav-bike from British maker

<kfqrtbFruuoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27626&group=uk.rec.cycling#27626

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific
chav-bike from British maker
Date: 25 Jun 2023 12:57:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 12:57 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 25/06/2023 06:01 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> QUOTE: The NS Safari features Moulton’s Hydroelastic suspension with a
>> sealed rear-fork pivot. ENDS
>
>> I've had cars with hydrolastic and hydragas suspension designed by the same outfit...
>
> ...and they (Longbridge's finest) were rubbish too.

Quite!

--
Spike

Re: New Moulton NS Safari is first disc-brake specific bike from British maker

<709ee364-0730-4d50-8647-f3bd39f33108n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27628&group=uk.rec.cycling#27628

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 08:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
British maker
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 15:32 UTC

On Sunday, June 25, 2023 at 6:01:47 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: The NS Safari features Moulton’s Hydroelastic suspension with a sealed rear-fork pivot. ENDS
>
> I've had cars with hydrolastic and hydragas suspension designed by the same outfit.

My dad used to fix them with a simple set of home garage tools.
Only needed a garage to pump them up - no springs and dampers to change at all.
Very smooth ride as well - better than Citroën.