From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: slow over rate penalty
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 16:58:20 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:58 UTC

Extras (b 1, lb 1, w 20, nb 5, pen 42) 69

https://northerncricketunion.org/ncu-nv-play-match-zone/?tab=m_scorecard#mc00f1c0e-cbaa-4962-b4eb-abac3dcbb6e0

the team bowling must have been 7 overs behind at the cut off point.

max.it

Re: slow over rate penalty

<kimijdFhbg1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27613&group=uk.sport.cricket#27613

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: slow over rate penalty
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 08:42:37 +0100
 by: David North - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 07:42 UTC

On 29/07/2023 16:58, max.it wrote:

> Extras (b 1, lb 1, w 20, nb 5, pen 42) 69
>
> https://northerncricketunion.org/ncu-nv-play-match-zone/?tab=m_scorecard#mc00f1c0e-cbaa-4962-b4eb-abac3dcbb6e0
>
> the team bowling must have been 7 overs behind at the cut off point.

According to the notes, there were 2 penalty runs for slow over rate,
and 8 lots of 5 penalty runs for time-wasting.

--
David North

Re: slow over rate penalty

<fj6ccihu3hoiec4vr53m9rmtm94aie1rvq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27614&group=uk.sport.cricket#27614

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 09:25:46 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 08:25 UTC

On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 08:42:37 +0100, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>On 29/07/2023 16:58, max.it wrote:
>>

>> Extras (b 1, lb 1, w 20, nb 5, pen 42) 69
>>
>> https://northerncricketunion.org/ncu-nv-play-match-zone/?tab=m_scorecard#mc00f1c0e-cbaa-4962-b4eb-abac3dcbb6e0
>>
>> the team bowling must have been 7 overs behind at the cut off point.
>
>According to the notes, there were 2 penalty runs for slow over rate,
>and 8 lots of 5 penalty runs for time-wasting.

Ah ha, the notes must not have been filled in when I spotted the score
card.
The umpire Tommy Deegan also is a football ref and he brings a
stopwatch on to the field with him. The other umpire Jonny Bunting
played for Victoria cc and whenever they first got sight screens they
managed to pick up 40 odds penalties due to having to shift the new
screens every few deliveries for a right / left batting partnership.

The regulation used to be 3 hrs 15 mins to complete 50 overs and the
penalty was 6 runs for every over bowled after the time limit.
I don't know the current regulation but 2 runs seems odd because if
you hit the cut off time mid final over that would be fine, the
penalty would have been for overs not started before the cut off.

max.it

Re: slow over rate penalty

<kin1uaFika7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27619&group=uk.sport.cricket#27619

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 13:04:26 +0100
 by: David North - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 12:04 UTC

On 30/07/2023 09:25, max.it wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 08:42:37 +0100, David North
> <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 29/07/2023 16:58, max.it wrote:
>>>

>>> Extras (b 1, lb 1, w 20, nb 5, pen 42) 69
>>>
>>> https://northerncricketunion.org/ncu-nv-play-match-zone/?tab=m_scorecard#mc00f1c0e-cbaa-4962-b4eb-abac3dcbb6e0
>>>
>>> the team bowling must have been 7 overs behind at the cut off point.
>>
>> According to the notes, there were 2 penalty runs for slow over rate,
>> and 8 lots of 5 penalty runs for time-wasting.
>
> Ah ha, the notes must not have been filled in when I spotted the score
> card.
> The umpire Tommy Deegan also is a football ref and he brings a
> stopwatch on to the field with him. The other umpire Jonny Bunting
> played for Victoria cc and whenever they first got sight screens they
> managed to pick up 40 odds penalties due to having to shift the new
> screens every few deliveries for a right / left batting partnership.
>
> The regulation used to be 3 hrs 15 mins to complete 50 overs and the
> penalty was 6 runs for every over bowled after the time limit.
> I don't know the current regulation but 2 runs seems odd because if
> you hit the cut off time mid final over that would be fine, the
> penalty would have been for overs not started before the cut off.

The regulation is still as you said - see p64 here:

https://northerncricketunion.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NCU-Rules-Regulations-2023-Booklet-FINAL-v2.pdf

I suspect that it's the notes that are wrong. Note that they say that
all of the penalties were applied at the end of the innings. If they
were actually for time-wasting under Law 41.9 as the notes say, they
would be applied at the times of the offences.

Then again, the regulations say that the slow-over-rate penalty should
be awarded 'immediately after the ball first becomes dead following the
latest finishing time'. According to the notes, the 49 overs took 231
minutes, i.e. 36 minutes over the time allowed for 50 overs.

I assume that one over was lost due to the rain breaks. If so, according
to the regulations, they would have got one over's grace, so they would
have had to start the 48th over by the latest finishing time.

--
David North