panic: can't find /

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

SubjectAuthor
* Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?gareth evans
+* Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?Mark Carver
|+- Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?Mike
|+* Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?tim...
||+- Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?Tweed
||+- Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?charles
||`- Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?MB
|`- Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?Martin
`- Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?Tweed

1
Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<skbkuk$13j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27609&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27609

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:25:23 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:25 UTC

As per title

Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response,
whereby the effort expended in being unhelpful perhaps
might have been devoted to actually answering the query
but with far fewer words?

I do not keep old posts, deleting each one upon reading.

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<ist3sqFpl7dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27610&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27610

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:36:10 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:36 UTC

On 15/10/2021 11:25, gareth evans wrote:
> As per title
>
> Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response,
> whereby the effort expended in being unhelpful perhaps
> might have been devoted to actually answering the query
> but with far fewer words?
>
> I do not keep old posts, deleting each one upon reading.

If you've read all the old posts, then surely you know what the answer is ?

My response wasn't  an ego trip, it was pointing you in the right
direction to gather the story.

Have a read of this website, that should explain the issues :-

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<skbp3b$heb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27614&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27614

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:36:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dLLUOwLwbeHmqthdehhXovHgqzQ=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:36 UTC

gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
> As per title
>
> Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response,
> whereby the effort expended in being unhelpful perhaps
> might have been devoted to actually answering the query
> but with far fewer words?
>
> I do not keep old posts, deleting each one upon reading.

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/10314/preswatch/intermittent-testing-of-subtitles-continues-on-channel-4/

Channel 4 issued an updated statement yesterday [13th October] regarding
the continued absence of access services on its channels:

We are really sorry that viewers still can’t watch our programmes with
subtitles, audio description or sign language support. We know how
important these access services are to you.

We have always been committed to supporting viewers with hearing or sight
impairment very seriously, and realise how frustrating it is that you can’t
enjoy your favourite programmes.

The reason we can’t currently provide access services is because of the
severity of the incident on Saturday 25 September 2021. When we transferred
to our emergency back-up, the system that was meant to provide access
services, also failed.

Our engineers have been working around the clock to fix the problem. It is
a priority for Channel 4. However, it is a complex process and will take
some time.

However, when access services are fully restored, Channel 4 will make sure
that all the programmes that you have missed will be available to watch
with subtitles, audio description and sign language support.

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<skce6i$agi$1@posie.signal11.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27637&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27637

From: mjb...@signal11.invalid (Mike)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 18:36:18 +0100 (BST)
 by: Mike - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 17:36 UTC

>On 15/10/2021 11:25, gareth evans wrote:
> As per title
>
> Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response,

??

See :-

https://i2.wp.com/limpingchicken.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Screenshot-2021-10-08-at-22.52.07.png?resize=594%2C250&ssl=1

From :-

https://limpingchicken.com/2021/10/08/sort-it-out-adam-hills-sends-out-subtitles-message-on-the-last-leg-letter-sent-to-broadcasters-from-deaf-and-disabled-people-in-tv/
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<skgive$pdj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27702&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27702

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:22:22 +0100
 by: tim... - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:22 UTC

"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 15/10/2021 11:25, gareth evans wrote:
>> As per title
>>
>> Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response,
>> whereby the effort expended in being unhelpful perhaps
>> might have been devoted to actually answering the query
>> but with far fewer words?
>>
>> I do not keep old posts, deleting each one upon reading.
>>

> If you've read all the old posts, then surely you know what the answer is
> ?

I'm with the PP here

I know why it happened

what I don't understand is why it has taken them so long to fix.

So, they are broadcasting from a different location

and?

Why does that mean that they can't play out subtitles from that location?

even if they didn't initially have the equipment available in situ, surely
the missing items can't be so large that they can't be shipped in in matter
of days?

and this problem doesn't just affect *new* subtitling (if that is the
issue). Programs which have been previously broadcast (that therefore have
the subtitles stored somewhere) are still being BC without subs.

> My response wasn't an ego trip, it was pointing you in the right
> direction to gather the story.
>
> Have a read of this website, that should explain the issues :-
>
> https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/

seems to tell me the status of what's wrong

it doesn't tell me why

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<skgjd8$rfq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27705&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27705

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:29:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:uY+RgNeJ2yv0WS8nk6ug6CxE1/4=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 07:29 UTC

tim... <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 15/10/2021 11:25, gareth evans wrote:
>>> As per title
>>>
>>> Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response,
>>> whereby the effort expended in being unhelpful perhaps
>>> might have been devoted to actually answering the query
>>> but with far fewer words?
>>>
>>> I do not keep old posts, deleting each one upon reading.
>>>

>> If you've read all the old posts, then surely you know what the answer is
>> ?
>
> I'm with the PP here
>
> I know why it happened
>
> what I don't understand is why it has taken them so long to fix.
>
> So, they are broadcasting from a different location
>
> and?
>
> Why does that mean that they can't play out subtitles from that location?
>
> even if they didn't initially have the equipment available in situ, surely
> the missing items can't be so large that they can't be shipped in in matter
> of days?
>
> and this problem doesn't just affect *new* subtitling (if that is the
> issue). Programs which have been previously broadcast (that therefore have
> the subtitles stored somewhere) are still being BC without subs.
>
>> My response wasn't an ego trip, it was pointing you in the right
>> direction to gather the story.
>>
>> Have a read of this website, that should explain the issues :-
>>
>> https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/
>
> seems to tell me the status of what's wrong
>
> it doesn't tell me why

Most likely an underinvested disaster recovery site that nobody thought
they’d need for more than a day or two at a time. Something that never gets
used in normal times is always a good target for cost cutters.

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<597cbbe985charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27719&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27719

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 09:23:12 +0100
 by: charles - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:23 UTC

In article <skgive$pdj$1@dont-email.me>, tim... <timsnews99@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > On 15/10/2021 11:25, gareth evans wrote:
> >> As per title
> >>
> >> Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response, whereby the
> >> effort expended in being unhelpful perhaps might have been devoted to
> >> actually answering the query but with far fewer words?
> >>
> >> I do not keep old posts, deleting each one upon reading.
> >>

> > If you've read all the old posts, then surely you know what the answer
> > is ?

> I'm with the PP here

> I know why it happened

> what I don't understand is why it has taken them so long to fix.

> So, they are broadcasting from a different location

> and?

> Why does that mean that they can't play out subtitles from that location?

> even if they didn't initially have the equipment available in situ,
> surely the missing items can't be so large that they can't be shipped in
> in matter of days?

Probably these are not 'off the shelf' items.

Also bear in mind that the company doesn't have engineering staff - they
need to bring in expertise from outside. If the kit is elderly, nobody
knows how it works, anyway.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<7gpnmg55k4g09qib693furg6083hsjsvpt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27728&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27728

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:00:34 +0200
 by: Martin - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 09:00 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:36:10 +0100, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 15/10/2021 11:25, gareth evans wrote:
>> As per title
>>
>> Reposted because of an unhelpful ego-tripping response,
>> whereby the effort expended in being unhelpful perhaps
>> might have been devoted to actually answering the query
>> but with far fewer words?
>>
>> I do not keep old posts, deleting each one upon reading.
>>

>If you've read all the old posts, then surely you know what the answer is ?
>
>My response wasn't  an ego trip, it was pointing you in the right
>direction to gather the story.

I would describe it as very helpful.

>Have a read of this website, that should explain the issues :-
>
>https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Why are there no sub-titles on Channel 4?

<skgor1$p1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27729&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27729

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:03:25 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 09:03 UTC

On 17/10/2021 08:22, tim... wrote:
> seems to tell me the status of what's wrong
>
> it doesn't tell me why

It is a private company, they have no obligation to publish details of
an internal investigation as well having good reason not to give details
of their DR plans.