It takes a smart husband to have the last word and not use it.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

SubjectAuthor
* OT (legally): Faraday cageScott
+* Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageMB
|+- Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageJeff Gaines
|+* Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageNY
||`* Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageAndy Burns
|| `- Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`* Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `- Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageSysadmin
`- Re: OT (legally): Faraday cageBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

1
OT (legally): Faraday cage

<8fromgp35bencnf9lpcuq5pm6k08h8rakq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27770&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27770

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: OT (legally): Faraday cage
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 19:44:43 +0100
 by: Scott - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 18:44 UTC

I have just been involved in a conversation with a retired engineer,
who was talking about engineers 'wheeching' along 33 kV lines in a
Faraday cage. Somebody asked what a Faraday cage was and I commented
that it was okay to touch it from inside. The engineer said it
certainly was not. I thought the point was that everything was at the
same potential and therefore safe. Who was right?

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<ski1t9$dn4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27772&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27772

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 21:44:20 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:44 UTC

On 17/10/2021 19:44, Scott wrote:
> I have just been involved in a conversation with a retired engineer,
> who was talking about engineers 'wheeching' along 33 kV lines in a
> Faraday cage. Somebody asked what a Faraday cage was and I commented
> that it was okay to touch it from inside. The engineer said it
> certainly was not. I thought the point was that everything was at the
> same potential and therefore safe. Who was right?

Give it a try :-)

https://digilent.com/blog/playing-with-lighting-in-a-faraday-suit/

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<xn0n492dv6idu0a005@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27773&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27773

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 17 Oct 2021 21:34:43 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 21:34 UTC

On 17/10/2021 in message <ski1t9$dn4$1@dont-email.me> MB wrote:

>On 17/10/2021 19:44, Scott wrote:
>>I have just been involved in a conversation with a retired engineer,
>>who was talking about engineers 'wheeching' along 33 kV lines in a
>>Faraday cage. Somebody asked what a Faraday cage was and I commented
>>that it was okay to touch it from inside. The engineer said it
>>certainly was not. I thought the point was that everything was at the
>>same potential and therefore safe. Who was right?
>
>Give it a try :-)
>

>https://digilent.com/blog/playing-with-lighting-in-a-faraday-suit/

:-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<skjdn9$lan$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27784&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27784

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:09:56 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:09 UTC

"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:ski1t9$dn4$1@dont-email.me...
> On 17/10/2021 19:44, Scott wrote:
>> I have just been involved in a conversation with a retired engineer,
>> who was talking about engineers 'wheeching' along 33 kV lines in a
>> Faraday cage. Somebody asked what a Faraday cage was and I commented
>> that it was okay to touch it from inside. The engineer said it
>> certainly was not. I thought the point was that everything was at the
>> same potential and therefore safe. Who was right?
>
> Give it a try :-)
>

> https://digilent.com/blog/playing-with-lighting-in-a-faraday-suit/

Was the EHT generated at varying frequencies to match the notes for each
time he caused an arc, or has the sound been dubbed on afterwards?

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<it4sjmFa4ggU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27785&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27785

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:20:53 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:20 UTC

NY wrote:

> Was the EHT generated at varying frequencies to match the notes for each time he
> caused an arc, or has the sound been dubbed on afterwards?

The tesla coils are modulated by an audio feed, there's enough videos of them
about, and DIY kits available ...

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<skjfkh$mmg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27786&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27786

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:43:44 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:43 UTC

I only know that faraday cages are supposed to block RF and to offer a path
to ground for stuff like lightening. As to what you do if you are working on
cables inside it really depends on a lot of variables. If its the same
potential as the cable then the protection for those outside and the
earthing are null and void terms.
Like many things in this world it much depends on the use you are putting
it to. When the engineers work on overhead lines they seem to wear suits and
have a special clip so they and the cable are at the same potential, but is
that not similar to what happens on a smaller scale to all those meter
changers and those installing new line fuses in certain sorts of
installations.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just been involved in a conversation with a retired engineer,
> who was talking about engineers 'wheeching' along 33 kV lines in a
> Faraday cage. Somebody asked what a Faraday cage was and I commented
> that it was okay to touch it from inside. The engineer said it
> certainly was not. I thought the point was that everything was at the
> same potential and therefore safe. Who was right?

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<skjfrl$qql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27787&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27787

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:47:31 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:47 UTC

Does anyone remember those stage electric acts where sparks were
everywhere, one assumes huge voltages but not much current. They used to
get young ladies to come up and stand on a pad and make her hair stand on
end and have a violet glow around her.

All good clean fun.
However in the real world you just have to watch out for the potential
difference, since nobody wants to become a human resistor.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:ski1t9$dn4$1@dont-email.me...
> On 17/10/2021 19:44, Scott wrote:
>> I have just been involved in a conversation with a retired engineer,
>> who was talking about engineers 'wheeching' along 33 kV lines in a
>> Faraday cage. Somebody asked what a Faraday cage was and I commented
>> that it was okay to touch it from inside. The engineer said it
>> certainly was not. I thought the point was that everything was at the
>> same potential and therefore safe. Who was right?
>
> Give it a try :-)
>

> https://digilent.com/blog/playing-with-lighting-in-a-faraday-suit/

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<skjg43$vv6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27789&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27789

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:52:02 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:52 UTC

Yes somewhat impractical as a musical instrument, too many variables like
moisture in the air affecting when the spark wiwill occur I remember seeing
a plasma tweeter once. That had a loudish fizz with the audio.

"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> NY wrote:
>
>> Was the EHT generated at varying frequencies to match the notes for each
>> time he caused an arc, or has the sound been dubbed on afterwards?
>
> The tesla coils are modulated by an audio feed, there's enough videos of
> them about, and DIY kits available ...

Re: OT (legally): Faraday cage

<skk27r$ani$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27800&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#27800

From: jon...@home.net (Sysadmin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:01:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Sysadmin - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:01 UTC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:47:31 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

> Does anyone remember those stage electric acts where sparks were
> everywhere, one assumes huge voltages but not much current. They used
> to get young ladies to come up and stand on a pad and make her hair
> stand on end and have a violet glow around her.
>
> All good clean fun.
> However in the real world you just have to watch out for the potential
> difference, since nobody wants to become a human resistor.
> Brian

Some women show no resistance at all.