From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Stumped or what?
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:18:58 +0100
 by: max.it - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 23:18 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66478284

I'm not sure what to make of this.
Was the batsman under the misapprehension that she was already out
stumped before she was actually out stumped?

max.it

Re: Stumped or what?

<kjoo6aF4gsrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27862&group=uk.sport.cricket#27862

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Stumped or what?
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 07:46:34 +0100
 by: David North - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 06:46 UTC

On 12/08/2023 00:18, max.it wrote:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66478284
>
> I'm not sure what to make of this.
> Was the batsman under the misapprehension that she was already out
> stumped before she was actually out stumped?

It looked like she was under the misapprehension that she was already
out somehow, because she started walking. I don't think the law about
leaving the wicket under a misapprehension (31.7) could fairly apply in
that case though, because she might well not have got back to her ground
in time if she had tried.

--
David North

Re: Stumped or what?

<1e46e8a1-2230-46a9-9573-5cde589d0c8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27863&group=uk.sport.cricket#27863

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 07:14 UTC

On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 4:46:37 PM UTC+10, David North wrote:
> On 12/08/2023 00:18, max.it wrote:
> >
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66478284
> >
> > I'm not sure what to make of this.
> > Was the batsman under the misapprehension that she was already out
> > stumped before she was actually out stumped?
> It looked like she was under the misapprehension that she was already
> out somehow, because she started walking. I don't think the law about
> leaving the wicket under a misapprehension (31.7) could fairly apply in
> that case though, because she might well not have got back to her ground
> in time if she had tried.

It's geoblocked so I can't see the video, but if she was out of her crease and kept walking I'm not sure that leaving the wicket under a misapprehension applies
If they've left their crease and never made it back in before they start heading off thinking they're out do they really have that protection?

Re: Stumped or what?

<2ededih2aaildmurr4v0i6cc1v8gc4nshs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27864&group=uk.sport.cricket#27864

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:45:44 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 07:45 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:14:06 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
<hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 4:46:37?PM UTC+10, David North wrote:
>> On 12/08/2023 00:18, max.it wrote:
>> >
>> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66478284
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what to make of this.
>> > Was the batsman under the misapprehension that she was already out
>> > stumped before she was actually out stumped?
>> It looked like she was under the misapprehension that she was already
>> out somehow, because she started walking. I don't think the law about
>> leaving the wicket under a misapprehension (31.7) could fairly apply in
>> that case though, because she might well not have got back to her ground
>> in time if she had tried.
>>
>It's geoblocked so I can't see the video, but if she was out of her crease and kept walking I'm not sure that leaving the wicket under a misapprehension applies
>If they've left their crease and never made it back in before they start heading off thinking they're out do they really have that protection?

It's an odd one because she looked back at the intact wicket before
continuing before realising the keeper had fumbled the ball.
Must have been one of those doh moments.

Irish senior cup today.
Leinster V Waringstown at the Lawn in Waringstown.
I was going to take a spin over to watch, it's only a couple of miles
away but it's available to watch online at app.icc.tv
The problem with visiting the ground is that I meet people that I know
and that usually means coffee or pints and chats and miss the action
on the field.

max.it

Re: Stumped or what?

<kjotm8F4gspU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27865&group=uk.sport.cricket#27865

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:20:24 +0100
 by: David North - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:20 UTC

On 12/08/2023 08:14, Hamish Laws wrote:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 4:46:37 PM UTC+10, David North wrote:
>> On 12/08/2023 00:18, max.it wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66478284
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what to make of this.
>>> Was the batsman under the misapprehension that she was already out
>>> stumped before she was actually out stumped?
>> It looked like she was under the misapprehension that she was already
>> out somehow, because she started walking. I don't think the law about
>> leaving the wicket under a misapprehension (31.7) could fairly apply in
>> that case though, because she might well not have got back to her ground
>> in time if she had tried.
>>
> It's geoblocked so I can't see the video, but if she was out of her crease and kept walking

She looked back - I don't know what she thought she saw, because the
wicket wasn't broken at that point. She turned away and walked a couple
of steps before turning around again, by which time the keeper had
retrieved the ball that she had initially fumbled, and the batter
realised she couldn't get back.

> I'm not sure that leaving the wicket under a misapprehension applies
> If they've left their crease and never made it back in before they start heading off thinking they're out do they really have that protection?

I'm not sure. The law says: "An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that
a batter, not having been given out, has left the wicket under a
misapprehension of being out." It's not clear exactly what is meant by
"left the wicket".

If she had hit the ball in the air and been caught just inside the
boundary, and had walked off without regaining her ground, thinking she
was out, but a no-ball had been called, I think it would have been fair
to recall her.

I think the umpire needs to apply common sense.

--
David North

Re: Stumped or what?

<537004ef-5336-4474-aa67-1df0126b2d2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27872&group=uk.sport.cricket#27872

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 05:22:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:22 UTC

On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 6:20:27 PM UTC+10, David North wrote:
> On 12/08/2023 08:14, Hamish Laws wrote:

> >> It looked like she was under the misapprehension that she was already
> >> out somehow, because she started walking. I don't think the law about
> >> leaving the wicket under a misapprehension (31.7) could fairly apply in
> >> that case though, because she might well not have got back to her ground
> >> in time if she had tried.
> >>
> > It's geoblocked so I can't see the video, but if she was out of her crease and kept walking
> She looked back - I don't know what she thought she saw, because the
> wicket wasn't broken at that point. She turned away and walked a couple
> of steps before turning around again, by which time the keeper had
> retrieved the ball that she had initially fumbled, and the batter
> realised she couldn't get back.
> > I'm not sure that leaving the wicket under a misapprehension applies
> > If they've left their crease and never made it back in before they start heading off thinking they're out do they really have that protection?
> I'm not sure. The law says: "An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that
> a batter, not having been given out, has left the wicket under a
> misapprehension of being out." It's not clear exactly what is meant by
> "left the wicket".
>
> If she had hit the ball in the air and been caught just inside the
> boundary, and had walked off without regaining her ground, thinking she
> was out, but a no-ball had been called, I think it would have been fair
> to recall her.
>
> I think the umpire needs to apply common sense.

I think I've seen people run out after they start to the changerooms thinking they're going to be caught...

Re: Stumped or what?

<ub8q9u$1g44d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27877&group=uk.sport.cricket#27877

From: Paddy.O....@Coast.org (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:33:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alvey - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:33 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:14:06 -0700, Hamish Laws wrote:

> On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 4:46:37 PM UTC+10, David North wrote:
>> On 12/08/2023 00:18, max.it wrote:
>> >
>> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66478284
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what to make of this.
>> > Was the batsman under the misapprehension that she was already out
>> > stumped before she was actually out stumped?
>> It looked like she was under the misapprehension that she was already
>> out somehow, because she started walking. I don't think the law about
>> leaving the wicket under a misapprehension (31.7) could fairly apply in
>> that case though, because she might well not have got back to her
>> ground in time if she had tried.
>>
> It's geoblocked so I can't see the video,

Neither can I. Which is disturbing as I normally just swap servers on my
VPN. Hmmmm.

alvey

Re: Stumped or what?

<s9ufdilab5m114bekf14ono7s7qcm2fk07@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27878&group=uk.sport.cricket#27878

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 22:27:45 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:27 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:33:02 -0000 (UTC), alvey
<Paddy.O.Furniture@Coast.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 00:14:06 -0700, Hamish Laws wrote:

>>> It looked like she was under the misapprehension that she was already
>>> out somehow, because she started walking. I don't think the law about
>>> leaving the wicket under a misapprehension (31.7) could fairly apply in
>>> that case though, because she might well not have got back to her
>>> ground in time if she had tried.
>>>
>> It's geoblocked so I can't see the video,
>
>Neither can I. Which is disturbing as I normally just swap servers on my
>VPN. Hmmmm.
>

>alvey

Try this one
https://youtu.be/4wRzDnrlank?t=8526

max.it

Re: Stumped or what?

<ub90g1$1h3ln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27879&group=uk.sport.cricket#27879

From: Paddy.O....@Coast.org (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 22:18:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alvey - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 22:18 UTC

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 22:27:45 +0100, max.it wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:33:02 -0000 (UTC), alvey
> <Paddy.O.Furniture@Coast.org> wrote:

>>> It's geoblocked so I can't see the video,
>>
>>Neither can I. Which is disturbing as I normally just swap servers on my
>>VPN. Hmmmm.
>>

>>alvey
>
> Try this one https://youtu.be/4wRzDnrlank?t=8526

That one is still geoblocked from Oz, but changing VPN to UK server worked.

On the clip... It'd fit right into a Euro Cricket League (or whatever it's
called) lowlights video.

alvey
thanx max

Re: Stumped or what?

<38a11213-5ba9-40cc-a880-bebc7e4aca45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27884&group=uk.sport.cricket#27884

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 06:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: tikli.ch...@gmail.com (Tikli Chestikov)
 by: Tikli Chestikov - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 13:58 UTC

On Saturday, 12 August 2023 at 09:20:27 UTC+1, David North wrote:

> I'm not sure. The law says: "An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that
> a batter, not having been given out, has left the wicket under a
> misapprehension of being out."

> David North

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOeDDYPDQLM

what do you make of that then?