I thought YOU silenced the guard!

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Present Present Presence

SubjectAuthor
* Present Present PresenceHymermut
+* Present Present Presencemaus
|`* Present Present PresenceAwchy
| +* Present Present Presencemaus
| |`- Present Present PresenceAwchy
| `* Present Present PresenceSam Plusnet
|  +* Present Present PresenceAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  |`* Present Present PresenceKerr-Mudd, John
|  | +* Present Present PresenceD
|  | |`- Present Present PresenceSam Plusnet
|  | `* Present Present PresenceRichard Robinson
|  |  +- Present Present PresenceKerr-Mudd, John
|  |  `- Present Present PresenceNicholas D. Richards
|  `- Present Present PresenceAwchy
`* Present Present PresenceMike Fleming
 `- Present Present PresenceRichard Robinson

1
Present Present Presence

<ulr0fc$3os65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27987&group=uk.rec.sheds#27987

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Present Present Presence
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 02:51:23 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 02:51 UTC

Finding suitable Christmas presents for those we love is always a problem.

We usually end up buying something that is on the cheap, thinking, that
will do for so-and-so. It is probably something that will end up in ye
charidee shoppe ( where we may have bought it|) or being chucked away.

OTOH we might but something they really need, but that could cause
resentment. 'You really think I am that needy?' Well, yes, but
admittedly buying that for you is saying it out loud, but I do care.

I've bought the X^6 a book of poetry by Brian Bilston, as recommended
here by other sheddi. She is into words. But I have also bought her a
mobility scooter that she really needs. I'm not sure she will be
grateful for that. She thinks it will make her look old. (She is 76).

We're also off for Christmas to a posh hotel where we will be pampered
and looked after sumptuously.

She needs that after all she has been through recently. (Two strokes, a
heart attack and breast cancer.) She oozes survival.

Not withstanding presents, that is shirley worth celebrating this Christmas?

Tone

Re: Present Present Presence

<slrnuo2rir.3uk.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27988&group=uk.rec.sheds#27988

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Present Present Presence
Date: 19 Dec 2023 10:20:11 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 10:20 UTC

On 2023-12-19, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
> Finding suitable Christmas presents for those we love is always a problem.
>
> We usually end up buying something that is on the cheap, thinking, that a

I've given up presents, for certain reasons, just a bottle of Jameson
for the lady who bakes the cake, and the woman who mixes the pudding.

My choice of books is peculiar, and I kept getting copies of books that
I already have.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was christmaus night in the Workhouse.

Re: Present Present Presence

<ulrvs2$14eo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27989&group=uk.rec.sheds#27989

From: awc...@proton.me (Awchy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:47:14 +0000
 by: Awchy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:47 UTC

On 19/12/2023 10:20, maus wrote:
> On 2023-12-19, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>> Finding suitable Christmas presents for those we love is always a problem.
>>
>> We usually end up buying something that is on the cheap, thinking, that a
>

> I've given up presents, for certain reasons, just a bottle of Jameson
> for the lady who bakes the cake, and the woman who mixes the pudding.
>
> My choice of books is peculiar, and I kept getting copies of books that
> I already have.

After 41 years married I've done the usual stuff, perfume, spa days,
jewellery and so on.

This year, a felting starter kit. She'll not see that one coming! As
we've got older more crafty stuff has come to the fore. She saw a lady
making felt balls for tree decorations and was fascinated.

I'll report back on how successful it is! ;)

Re: Present Present Presence

<slrnuo3h5q.7lg.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27991&group=uk.rec.sheds#27991

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 19 Dec 2023 16:28:42 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:28 UTC

On 2023-12-19, Awchy <awchy@proton.me> wrote:
> On 19/12/2023 10:20, maus wrote:
>> On 2023-12-19, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>> Finding suitable Christmas presents for those we love is always a problem.
>>>
>>> We usually end up buying something that is on the cheap, thinking, that a
>>

>> I've given up presents, for certain reasons, just a bottle of Jameson
>> for the lady who bakes the cake, and the woman who mixes the pudding.
>>
>> My choice of books is peculiar, and I kept getting copies of books that
>> I already have.
>>
> After 41 years married I've done the usual stuff, perfume, spa days,
> jewellery and so on.
>
> This year, a felting starter kit. She'll not see that one coming! As
> we've got older more crafty stuff has come to the fore. She saw a lady
> making felt balls for tree decorations and was fascinated.
>
> I'll report back on how successful it is! ;)

You are lucky to have her. Give her a bus from me.

"Grow old with me, the best is still to come.''

I've seen two titles for Browning's poem. I like that line.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was Christmaus night in the Workhouse. The Governors were forced to eat cold roast potatoes for a second year,

Re: Present Present Presence

<ulsn0t$5a5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27992&group=uk.rec.sheds#27992

From: awc...@proton.me (Awchy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:22:21 +0000
 by: Awchy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:22 UTC

On 19/12/2023 16:28, maus wrote:
> On 2023-12-19, Awchy <awchy@proton.me> wrote:

>>> I've given up presents, for certain reasons, just a bottle of Jameson
>>> for the lady who bakes the cake, and the woman who mixes the pudding.
>>>
>>> My choice of books is peculiar, and I kept getting copies of books that
>>> I already have.
>>>
>> After 41 years married I've done the usual stuff, perfume, spa days,
>> jewellery and so on.
>>
>> This year, a felting starter kit. She'll not see that one coming! As
>> we've got older more crafty stuff has come to the fore. She saw a lady
>> making felt balls for tree decorations and was fascinated.
>>
>> I'll report back on how successful it is! ;)
>
> You are lucky to have her. Give her a bus from me.
>
> "Grow old with me, the best is still to come.''
>
> I've seen two titles for Browning's poem. I like that line.

I am very lucky. I like that line too.

Re: Present Present Presence

<iFmgN.3426$aRSd.2824@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27993&group=uk.rec.sheds#27993

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:02:22 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:02 UTC

On 19-Dec-23 11:47, Awchy wrote:
> On 19/12/2023 10:20, maus wrote:
>> On 2023-12-19, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>> Finding suitable Christmas presents for those we love is always a
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> We usually end up buying something that is on the cheap, thinking,
>>> that a
>>

>> I've given up presents, for certain reasons, just a bottle of Jameson
>> for the lady who bakes the cake, and the woman who mixes the pudding.
>>
>> My choice of books is peculiar, and I kept getting copies of books that
>> I already have.
>>
> After 41 years married I've done the usual stuff, perfume, spa days,
> jewellery and so on.

I haven't tried any of those in the last 50 years.

> This year, a felting starter kit. She'll not see that one coming! As
> we've got older more crafty stuff has come to the fore. She saw a lady
> making felt balls for tree decorations and was fascinated.
>
> I'll report back on how successful it is! ;)

Until now, I hadn't known that "felting" was a verb (or even a word, for
that matter).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Present Present Presence

<20231219205130.27e559b0336a9193c0fa3cf6@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27994&group=uk.rec.sheds#27994

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:51:30 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:51 UTC

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:02:22 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> Until now, I hadn't known that "felting" was a verb (or even a word, for
> that matter).

My first goovage on seeing the worm was something to do with
roofing which seemed a little surprising but then I saw the bit about balls
for decorating trees.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Present Present Presence

<20231219212334.bddd82d647be2be36c219f68@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27995&group=uk.rec.sheds#27995

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 21:23:34 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 21:23 UTC

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:51:30 +0000
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:02:22 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Until now, I hadn't known that "felting" was a verb (or even a word, for
> > that matter).
>
> My first goovage on seeing the worm was something to do with
> roofing which seemed a little surprising but then I saw the bit about balls
> for decorating trees.

Whatever turns you on.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Present Present Presence

<a442b006-6b63-9c34-e86a-a4d05b0896a3@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27996&group=uk.rec.sheds#27996

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 23:28:22 +0100
 by: D - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 22:28 UTC

In my case, over the years, it tends to gravity towards books, wine,
champagne and chocolate.

Past a certain age, everyone has what they need and what they don't
already have is too expensive for christmas presents.

But that being said, I do enjoy the standard gifts.

Best regards,
Daniel

Re: Present Present Presence

<ulupqb$illo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27999&group=uk.rec.sheds#27999

From: awc...@proton.me (Awchy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:22:19 +0000
 by: Awchy - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:22 UTC

On 19/12/2023 20:02, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 19-Dec-23 11:47, Awchy wrote:

>>> I've given up presents, for certain reasons, just a bottle of Jameson
>>> for the lady who bakes the cake, and the woman who mixes the pudding.
>>>
>>> My choice of books is peculiar, and I kept getting copies of books that
>>> I already have.
>>>
>> After 41 years married I've done the usual stuff, perfume, spa days,
>> jewellery and so on.
>
> I haven't tried any of those in the last 50 years.
>>
>> This year, a felting starter kit. She'll not see that one coming! As
>> we've got older more crafty stuff has come to the fore. She saw a lady
>> making felt balls for tree decorations and was fascinated.
>>
>> I'll report back on how successful it is! ;)
>
> Until now, I hadn't known that "felting" was a verb (or even a word, for
> that matter).

In fairness I never even thought about it. But it turns out it's a noun
and is defined as:-

the activity of making wool or other cloth into felt (= a thick, soft
cloth) by rolling and pressing it and using hot water or a special needle:

In this case, it's a needle.

Re: Present Present Presence

<ulurq6$iv6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28000&group=uk.rec.sheds#28000

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:56:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:56 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John said:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Until now, I hadn't known that "felting" was a verb (or even a word, for
>> > that matter).
>>
>> My first goovage on seeing the worm was something to do with
>> roofing which seemed a little surprising but then I saw the bit about balls
>> for decorating trees.
>>
> Whatever turns you on.

"I want to get felt laid down on the roof"

Who said that ? Guy, I think. Ancient Sheddi Wisdom, anyway.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Present Present Presence

<20231220132721.754ddbac740006248c545c8b@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28001&group=uk.rec.sheds#28001

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:27:21 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:27 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:56:22 -0000 (UTC)
Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> Kerr-Mudd, John said:
> > Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> >> My first goovage on seeing the worm was something to do with
> >> roofing which seemed a little surprising but then I saw the bit about balls
> >> for decorating trees.
> >>
> > Whatever turns you on.
>
> "I want to get felt laid down on the roof"
>
> Who said that ? Guy, I think. Ancient Sheddi Wisdom, anyway.

Hurrah! Well erzrzorerq.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Present Present Presence

<JJgdKIAnOxglFAOK@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28002&group=uk.rec.sheds#28002

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:17:43 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:17 UTC

In article <ulurq6$iv6q$1@dont-email.me>, Richard Robinson
<richard@qualmograph.org.uk> on Wed, 20 Dec 2023 at 13:56:22 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Kerr-Mudd, John said:
>> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>>> My first goovage on seeing the worm was something to do with
>>> roofing which seemed a little surprising but then I saw the bit about balls
>>> for decorating trees.
>>>
>> Whatever turns you on.
>
>"I want to get felt laid down on the roof"

I felt that there is a comma missing from that quotation.

>Who said that ? Guy, I think. Ancient Sheddi Wisdom, anyway.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Present Present Presence

<6%JgN.79409$xHn7.20172@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28014&group=uk.rec.sheds#28014

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:35:46 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:35 UTC

On 19-Dec-23 22:28, D wrote:
> In my case, over the years, it tends to gravity towards books, wine,
> champagne and chocolate.
>
> Past a certain age, everyone has what they need and what they don't
> already have is too expensive for christmas presents.
>
> But that being said, I do enjoy the standard gifts.
>
> Best regards, Daniel

Hope SWMBO doesn't read this group, but my gift to her is a rechargeable
weatherproof 'orb' 35cm in diameter, which emits in a range of colours.

She saw one outside a neighbouring caravan in September and seemed
impressed. I'm pretty sure enough time has passed that she will have
forgotten all about it.

I'm hoping for a "WTF?" expression when she opens it.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Present Present Presence

<kv6ll3Fe1geU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28175&group=uk.rec.sheds#28175

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:28:00 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:28 UTC

On 19/12/2023 02:51, Hymermut wrote:
> Finding suitable Christmas presents for those we love is always a problem.
>
> We usually end up buying something that is on the cheap, thinking, that
> will do for so-and-so. It is probably something that will end up in ye
> charidee shoppe ( where we may have bought it|) or being chucked away.

Mrs Zero (as she is known elsewhere) has shown signs of being interested
in blowing wind instruments (quiet at the back please), so I bought her
an electronic wind instrument
https://www.amazon.com/Vangoa-EWI-100-Electronic-Synthesizer-Rechargeable/dp/B0C1GC5K5Y
(actually about 40 quid). Not only does it make noises on its own, it
can also send MIDI messages, which is nice.

Re: Present Present Presence

<ummtpd$t3ji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28197&group=uk.rec.sheds#28197

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:57:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:57 UTC

Mike Fleming said:
> On 19/12/2023 02:51, Hymermut wrote:
>> Finding suitable Christmas presents for those we love is always a problem.
>>
>> We usually end up buying something that is on the cheap, thinking, that
>> will do for so-and-so. It is probably something that will end up in ye
>> charidee shoppe ( where we may have bought it|) or being chucked away.
>
> Mrs Zero (as she is known elsewhere) has shown signs of being interested
> in blowing wind instruments (quiet at the back please), so I bought her
> an electronic wind instrument
> https://www.amazon.com/Vangoa-EWI-100-Electronic-Synthesizer-Rechargeable/dp/B0C1GC5K5Y
> (actually about 40 quid). Not only does it make noises on its own, it
> can also send MIDI messages, which is nice.

Purnc !