"But this one goes to eleven." -- Nigel Tufnel

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Payment Declined

SubjectAuthor
* Payment DeclinedHymermut
+* Payment DeclinedSn!pe
|`* Payment DeclinedTheo
| +- Payment DeclinedSn!pe
| +- Payment DeclinedAhem A Rivet's Shot
| `- Payment Declinedmaus
+- Payment DeclinedDave W
+* Payment DeclinedSam Plusnet
|`* Payment DeclinedNicholas D. Richards
| +- Payment DeclinedSn!pe
| `- Payment DeclinedRichard Robinson
+* Payment DeclinedTease'n'Seize
|`* Payment DeclinedAbandoned Trolley
| +- Payment DeclinedHymermut
| `* Payment DeclinedHymermut
|  +- Payment DeclinedJohn Williamson
|  +* Payment DeclinedAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  |`- Payment DeclinedTease'n'Seize
|  +* Payment DeclinedJeff Gaines
|  |`* Payment DeclinedPeter
|  | `- Payment DeclinedHymermut
|  +- Payment DeclinedTease'n'Seize
|  `- Payment DeclinedMike Fleming
+* Payment Declinedmaus
|`* Payment Declinedhubops
| `- Payment Declinedmaus
`- Re: Payment DeclinedBrian Gaff

Pages:12
Payment Declined

<ulv72v$kr8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28005&group=uk.rec.sheds#28005

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Payment Declined
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:08:46 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:08 UTC

There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.

"Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."

Payment declined! Not once, Three times.

Highly embarrassing.

"Give me your bank details and I'll go home and pay by bankers transfer."

Did so, slightly worried that I might have been scammed. Made several
online purchese lately, but I always use Paypal where I can.

No problem. Went straight through.

So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
payments, whether it was that company who were banned, or whether it was
a glitch in the system. But trying to phone my bank is a nightmare.

Just got this from the website chatbot.

"We were unable to validate the transaction, please reattempt. Sometimes
it’s worthwhile trying the payment again using another card machine."

Help, Mr Mainwairing!

Tone

Re: Payment Declined

<1qm1s83.svwiwg8jybxuN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28006&group=uk.rec.sheds#28006

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Payment Declined
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:23:46 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:23 UTC

Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:

> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>
> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
>
> Payment declined! Not once, Three times.
>
> Highly embarrassing.
>
> "Give me your bank details and I'll go home and pay by bankers transfer."
>
> Did so, slightly worried that I might have been scammed. Made several
> online purchese lately, but I always use Paypal where I can.
>
> No problem. Went straight through.
>
> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
> payments, whether it was that company who were banned, or whether it was
> a glitch in the system. But trying to phone my bank is a nightmare.
>
> Just got this from the website chatbot.
>
> "We were unable to validate the transaction, please reattempt. Sometimes
> it's worthwhile trying the payment again using another card machine."
>
> Help, Mr Mainwairing!
>
> Tone

Use Apple Pay. Wot, no Mac? Gerra Mac!

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

Google to close Usenet gateway; my pet rock Gordon just smiled.

Re: Payment Declined

<l586oi9p693va14v12ju5jsm8pdjkt0cqs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28007&group=uk.rec.sheds#28007

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:23:23 +0000
 by: Dave W - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:23 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:08:46 +0000, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>
>"Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
>
>Payment declined! Not once, Three times.
>
>Highly embarrassing.
>
>"Give me your bank details and I'll go home and pay by bankers transfer."
>
>Did so, slightly worried that I might have been scammed. Made several
>online purchese lately, but I always use Paypal where I can.
>
>No problem. Went straight through.
>
>So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
>payments, whether it was that company who were banned, or whether it was
>a glitch in the system. But trying to phone my bank is a nightmare.
>
>Just got this from the website chatbot.
>
>"We were unable to validate the transaction, please reattempt. Sometimes
>it’s worthwhile trying the payment again using another card machine."
>
>Help, Mr Mainwairing!
>
>Tone
Try making several smaller payments for the same item. I had trouble
paying my electric bill but was able to make it up with smaller
payments. I went into the bank to ask them to increase the limit, and
was told there is no limit but they had recently introduced 2FA for
online payments. This didn't work as they didn't know my email or
mobile number as I don't do online banking. I have now given them
these details and now I do get the 2FA message allowing me to make
large payments for purchases. Unfortunately I now have to suffer their
marketing for 'Premier Banking' even though my income is not great
enough to qualify.
--
Dave W
--

Re: Payment Declined

<hVh*2snyz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28010&group=uk.rec.sheds#28010

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Dec 2023 20:47:23 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 20:47 UTC

Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Use Apple Pay. Wot, no Mac? Gerra Mac!

But how do you buy a Mac if the payment is declined?

Re: Payment Declined

<1qm228g.13i8a2fpun0l5N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28011&group=uk.rec.sheds#28011

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:04:18 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:04 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Use Apple Pay. Wot, no Mac? Gerra Mac!
>
> But how do you buy a Mac if the payment is declined?

Use your phone, they do Apple Pay too. You know it makes pragf.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon approves closure of Google's Web2News gateway.

Re: Payment Declined

<20231220210756.d2c07fad2bd16e630ab0cfed@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28012&group=uk.rec.sheds#28012

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:07:56 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:07 UTC

On 20 Dec 2023 20:47:23 +0000 (GMT)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Use Apple Pay. Wot, no Mac? Gerra Mac!
>
> But how do you buy a Mac if the payment is declined?

Cash is king.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Payment Declined

<T1KgN.79410$xHn7.24984@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28015&group=uk.rec.sheds#28015

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:38:42 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:38 UTC

On 20-Dec-23 17:08, Hymermut wrote:
> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>
> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
>
> Payment declined! Not once, Three times.
>
> Highly embarrassing.
>
> "Give me your bank details and I'll go home and pay by bankers transfer."
>
> Did so, slightly worried that I might have been scammed. Made several
> online purchese lately, but I always use Paypal where I can.
>
> No problem. Went straight through.
>
> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
> payments, whether it was that company who were banned, or whether it was
> a glitch in the system. But trying to phone my bank is a nightmare.
>
> Just got this from the website chatbot.
>
> "We were unable to validate the transaction, please reattempt. Sometimes
> it’s worthwhile trying the payment again using another card machine."
>
> Help, Mr Mainwairing!

Largest debit card payment I made was just under £30,000.
It went through without a single hitch.
This was before 2FA became a thing, so I don't know if it would still
happen that way.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Payment Declined

<Y$z53IAof3glFAPE@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28017&group=uk.rec.sheds#28017

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:25:28 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:25 UTC

In article <T1KgN.79410$xHn7.24984@fx14.iad>, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com>
on Wed, 20 Dec 2023 at 22:38:42 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
wrote
>On 20-Dec-23 17:08, Hymermut wrote:
>> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>>
>> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
>>
>> Payment declined! Not once, Three times.
>>
>> Highly embarrassing.
>>
>> "Give me your bank details and I'll go home and pay by bankers transfer."
>>
>> Did so, slightly worried that I might have been scammed. Made several
>> online purchese lately, but I always use Paypal where I can.
>>
>> No problem. Went straight through.
>>
>> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
>> payments, whether it was that company who were banned, or whether it was
>> a glitch in the system. But trying to phone my bank is a nightmare.
>>
>> Just got this from the website chatbot.
>>
>> "We were unable to validate the transaction, please reattempt. Sometimes
>> it’s worthwhile trying the payment again using another card machine."
>>
>> Help, Mr Mainwairing!
>
>Largest debit card payment I made was just under £30,000.
>It went through without a single hitch.
>This was before 2FA became a thing, so I don't know if it would still
>happen that way.

The only £30,000+ payment I ever made was a CHAPS payment.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Payment Declined

<1qm29ff.f9erje1q61wxiN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28018&group=uk.rec.sheds#28018

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:44:24 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:44 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

> In article <T1KgN.79410$xHn7.24984@fx14.iad>, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com>
> on Wed, 20 Dec 2023 at 22:38:42 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
> wrote
> >On 20-Dec-23 17:08, Hymermut wrote:
> >> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
> >>
> >> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
> >>
> >> Payment declined! Not once, Three times.
> >>
> >> Highly embarrassing.
> >>
> >> "Give me your bank details and I'll go home and pay by bankers transfer."
> >>
> >> Did so, slightly worried that I might have been scammed. Made several
> >> online purchese lately, but I always use Paypal where I can.
> >>
> >> No problem. Went straight through.
> >>
> >> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
> >> payments, whether it was that company who were banned, or whether it was
> >> a glitch in the system. But trying to phone my bank is a nightmare.
> >>
> >> Just got this from the website chatbot.
> >>
> >> "We were unable to validate the transaction, please reattempt. Sometimes
> >> it's worthwhile trying the payment again using another card machine."
> >>
> >> Help, Mr Mainwairing!
> >>

> >Largest debit card payment I made was just under £30,000.
> >It went through without a single hitch.
> >This was before 2FA became a thing, so I don't know if it would still
> >happen that way.
> >

> The only £30,000+ payment I ever made was a CHAPS payment.

The last CHAPS payment I made was for the purchase of this house
13 years ago. The boodly bank (no names, no pack drill but it begins
with 'B' for banker, as in wunch of) missed the prearranged payment
date so the simultaneous completion was delayed all the way up and
down the chain.

I too made a debit card payment like Sam P's four years ago when
I bought my current car. The dealer preferred it to a bankers' draft,
I can't think why . . .

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon likes the closure of Google's Web2News gateway.

Re: Payment Declined

<ulvug6$olvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28019&group=uk.rec.sheds#28019

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:48:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 23:48 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards said:
> In article <T1KgN.79410$xHn7.24984@fx14.iad>, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com>
> on Wed, 20 Dec 2023 at 22:38:42 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and
> wrote
>>On 20-Dec-23 17:08, Hymermut wrote:
>>> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>>>
>>> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
>>>
>>> Payment declined! Not once, Three times.
>>>
>>> Highly embarrassing.
>>>
>>> "Give me your bank details and I'll go home and pay by bankers transfer."
>>>
>>> Did so, slightly worried that I might have been scammed. Made several
>>> online purchese lately, but I always use Paypal where I can.
>>>
>>> No problem. Went straight through.
>>>
>>> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
>>> payments, whether it was that company who were banned, or whether it was
>>> a glitch in the system. But trying to phone my bank is a nightmare.
>>>
>>> Just got this from the website chatbot.
>>>
>>> "We were unable to validate the transaction, please reattempt. Sometimes
>>> it’s worthwhile trying the payment again using another card machine."
>>>
>>> Help, Mr Mainwairing!
>>
>>Largest debit card payment I made was just under £30,000.
>>It went through without a single hitch.
>>This was before 2FA became a thing, so I don't know if it would still
>>happen that way.
>>
> The only £30,000+ payment I ever made was a CHAPS payment.

Cheques are still liked, for saying who it's to go to. Leaves less
scam-room.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Payment Declined

<LrqdnWqdfes9nRn4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28025&group=uk.rec.sheds#28025

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:08:48 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:08 UTC

Hymermut wrote:

> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit card
> payments

I doubt that scobility mooters cost more than cars, and I've bought a
couple of them on debit card.

Re: Payment Declined

<slrnuo8jrl.hp4.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28033&group=uk.rec.sheds#28033

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Dec 2023 14:45:09 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:45 UTC

On 2023-12-20, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>
> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."

North side of stephens green, dublin, perhaps 1972. Overfull with good
cheer, and no public con in sight, so I did what I always had, pretended
to use the cash machine while relieving the pressure, I noticed a
flashing light beside the text entry part, and discover a video thingie
taking pictures.

Even then, it was hard to stop the flow.

I notice that there are big errors in the entry line for the Big River.

onece a computer command gets above 3>lines, there are bound to be errors,
I was once told,

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was Christmaus night in the Workhouse, all the clients excitated at

Re: Payment Declined

<slrnuo8jtm.hp4.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28034&group=uk.rec.sheds#28034

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Dec 2023 14:46:14 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:46 UTC

On 2023-12-20, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Use Apple Pay. Wot, no Mac? Gerra Mac!
>
> But how do you buy a Mac if the payment is declined?

Sehr Gut!.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was Christmaus night in the Workhouse, all the clients excited at
the prospect of an extra current in their Yuletide gruel the next day

Re: Payment Declined

<phk8oitlgsfgqtua6oehlu4et69i9kdl5j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28035&group=uk.rec.sheds#28035

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:58:13 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:58 UTC

On 21 Dec 2023 14:45:09 GMT, maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:

>On 2023-12-20, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>>
>> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
>>

>North side of stephens green, dublin, perhaps 1972. Overfull with good
>cheer, and no public con in sight, so I did what I always had, pretended
>to use the cash machine while relieving the pressure, I noticed a
>flashing light beside the text entry part, and discover a video thingie
>taking pictures.
>
>Even then, it was hard to stop the flow.
>
>I notice that there are big errors in the entry line for the Big River.
>
>onece a computer command gets above 3>lines, there are bound to be errors,
>I was once told,

Cash machine and video cam in 1972 ? Fancy Dublin.
John T.

Re: Payment Declined

<slrnuo99ja.div.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28043&group=uk.rec.sheds#28043

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Dec 2023 20:56:10 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 20:56 UTC

On 2023-12-21, hubops@ccanoemail.com <hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2023 14:45:09 GMT, maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:
>
>>On 2023-12-20, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>> There I was buying the X^6 her new mobility scootererer.
>>>
>>> "Pop your card in there, type in your pin and make the payment."
>>>

>>North side of stephens green, dublin, perhaps 1972. Overfull with good
>>cheer, and no public con in sight, so I did what I always had, pretended
>>to use the cash machine while relieving the pressure, I noticed a
>>flashing light beside the text entry part, and discover a video thingie
>>taking pictures.
>>
>>Even then, it was hard to stop the flow.
>>
>>I notice that there are big errors in the entry line for the Big River.
>>
>>onece a computer command gets above 3>lines, there are bound to be errors,
>>I was once told,
>

> Cash machine and video cam in 1972 ? Fancy Dublin.
> John T.

1st video cam I ever saw. I remember the date as it was just before a
significen date.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was Christmaus night in the Workhouse, all the clients excited at
the prospect of an extra current in their Yuletide gruel the next day

Re: Payment Declined

<um3p5i$1hf2b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28047&group=uk.rec.sheds#28047

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:41:55 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:41 UTC

On 21/12/2023 09:08, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Hymermut wrote:
>
>> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit
>> card payments
>
> I doubt that scobility mooters cost more than cars, and I've bought a
> couple of them on debit card.

Same here.

The car before last was bought at one of those car supermarket places,
and while I was there I saw a bloke at the next desk pay over £26,000
for his car.

Re: Payment Declined

<um3um7$1ic5q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28048&group=uk.rec.sheds#28048

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:16:05 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:16 UTC

On 22/12/2023 10:41, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
> On 21/12/2023 09:08, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Hymermut wrote:
>>
>>> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit
>>> card payments
>>
>> I doubt that scobility mooters cost more than cars, and I've bought a
>> couple of them on debit card.
>

> Same here.
>
> The car before last was bought at one of those car supermarket places,
> and while I was there I saw a bloke at the next desk pay over £26,000
> for his car.

Card still blocked! Tried to get fuel today. Transaction declined!

Now trying to contact bank. On hold 15 mins so far. Terrible muzak!

Tone

Re: Payment Declined

<um4029$1ic5q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28050&group=uk.rec.sheds#28050

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:39:36 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:39 UTC

On 22/12/2023 10:41, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
> On 21/12/2023 09:08, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Hymermut wrote:
>>
>>> So now I have to find out whether there is an upper limit on debit
>>> card payments
>>
>> I doubt that scobility mooters cost more than cars, and I've bought a
>> couple of them on debit card.
>

> Same here.
>
> The car before last was bought at one of those car supermarket places,
> and while I was there I saw a bloke at the next desk pay over £26,000
> for his car.

Eventually got through to a hooman bean (after 35 mins hanging). Card
now reinstated. It was blocked because the transaction (£3,100) was
unusually high for me. (Which it was).

Promble is they didn't contact me to tel me why.

Seriously thinking of charging my bank.

Any recommendations sheddi?

Is there a bank where it is still easy to talk to real people in UK?

Tone

Tone

Re: Payment Declined

<kulfmeFtm86U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28052&group=uk.rec.sheds#28052

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:02:06 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:02 UTC

On 22/12/2023 12:39, Hymermut wrote:

> Seriously thinking of charging my bank.
>
> Any recommendations sheddi?
>
> Is there a bank where it is still easy to talk to real people in UK?

Barclays seem to have UK based call handling during the day, and Indian
during our night shift.

They also have a habit of sending me a text if they consider a
transaction dodgy because it's either not in accordance with my usual
pattern or I am outside my normal home range. Last Spring, I got a text
from their fraud department after I'd spent a tenner in the shop on
Iona... (Your card was used for the following transactions (List
inserted here). Do you recognise them? Yes meant they'd be happy, no got
me a call back to discuss the one I didn't recognise.)

The last big card transaction I made was forty-five grand when I was
trying to buy the church, but I cleared it with them first and it went
through with no problem.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Payment Declined

<20231222131756.7fc4873ccd1528bee20e7c00@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28058&group=uk.rec.sheds#28058

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:17:56 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:17 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:39:36 +0000
Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:

> Eventually got through to a hooman bean (after 35 mins hanging). Card
> now reinstated. It was blocked because the transaction (£3,100) was
> unusually high for me. (Which it was).

Figures - at this time of year they turn the fraud detection
algorithms up to "rottweiler with migraine" level. A few years back I got
my card declined and blocked because they knew that the shop I was using it
in didn't open on Saturday (and I'd been in there the day before) - except
of course they did that Saturday.

> Promble is they didn't contact me to tel me why.

I've never known that to happen - they assume (rightly IME) that if
it is legit you /will/ contact them to find out what's going on and if it's
not then you're probably going to report the card missing when you notice
it and will thank them for blocking the iffy looking transaction(s).

> Seriously thinking of charging my bank.
>
> Any recommendations sheddi?
>
> Is there a bank where it is still easy to talk to real people in UK?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Payment Declined

<xn0oaw07n1oukpo003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28059&group=uk.rec.sheds#28059

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 22 Dec 2023 14:24:39 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:24 UTC

On 22/12/2023 in message <um4029$1ic5q$2@dont-email.me> Hymermut wrote:

>>The car before last was bought at one of those car supermarket places,
>>and while I was there I saw a bloke at the next desk pay over £26,000
>>for his car.
>
>Eventually got through to a hooman bean (after 35 mins hanging). Card now
>reinstated. It was blocked because the transaction (£3,100) was unusually
>high for me. (Which it was).
>
>Promble is they didn't contact me to tel me why.
>
>Seriously thinking of charging my bank.
>
>Any recommendations sheddi?
>
>Is there a bank where it is still easy to talk to real people in UK?

First Direct.

I had similar problems to you with HSBC who I'd banked with for nearly 60
years. I made a transfer (£350 ish) via online banking and the name
didn't quite tie up. It went through but later that day some jobsworth cow
in India decide it might be fraud so cancelled it, then tried to contact
me at my previous telephone number and address.

I spent six months arguing with, them during which time they stopped more
and more services. I sent three letters to my branch manager and two to
the chairman, they all ended up with jobsworth cow. I was then given an
email which was supposed to be their executive team, turned out to be
jobsworth cow.

In the end I moved to First Direct, it's a subsidiary of HSBC but support
is in the UK and it has been excellent so far.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Re: Payment Declined

<MXGdnb_bEZy4fxj4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28063&group=uk.rec.sheds#28063

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 19:23:16 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 19:23 UTC

Hymermut wrote:

> Seriously thinking of charging my bank.

If you've suffered a monetary loss, go ahead, but you can't just have
some money off them for nowt ...

Re: Payment Declined

<MXGdnb7bEZzlfxj4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28064&group=uk.rec.sheds#28064

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 19:24:39 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 19:24 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> at this time of year they turn the fraud detection
> algorithms up to "rottweiler with migraine" level.

also the sensitivity of the detector arches on the exits

Re: Payment Declined

<XnsB0E2DAD141357Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28066&group=uk.rec.sheds#28066

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:30:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:30 UTC

"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote in

> On 22/12/2023 in message <um4029$1ic5q$2@dont-email.me> Hymermut
> wrote:
>
>>Is there a bank where it is still easy to talk to real people in UK?
>
> First Direct.

Yep. I've been with First Direct for ages and rarely had to wait to speak to
a hooman bean. When we used to go to Spain regularly I would phone FD a week
or so in advance to tell them so they knew that tranactions there were
legit.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Payment Declined

<um58i3$1os9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28067&group=uk.rec.sheds#28067

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 00:10:42 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 00:10 UTC

On 22/12/2023 21:30, Peter wrote:
> "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote in
>
>> On 22/12/2023 in message <um4029$1ic5q$2@dont-email.me> Hymermut
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a bank where it is still easy to talk to real people in UK?
>>
>> First Direct.
>
> Yep. I've been with First Direct for ages and rarely had to wait to speak to
> a hooman bean. When we used to go to Spain regularly I would phone FD a week
> or so in advance to tell them so they knew that tranactions there were
> legit.

Thanks.

Tone