From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Transferring to DVD
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:28:23 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:28 UTC

I am in the doghouse today. I thought it would be a good idea to
rescan my friend's Humax box, but I forgot this would cancel her
recordings. She has missed Question Time (no comments on the merits
please!). Is there a practical way for me to transfer it from the BBC
iPlayer to DVD?

Re: Transferring to DVD

<sl0pml$oju$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28045&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28045

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Transferring to DVD
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 11:55:17 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:55 UTC

On 23/10/2021 10:28, Scott wrote:
> I am in the doghouse today. I thought it would be a good idea to
> rescan my friend's Humax box, but I forgot this would cancel her
> recordings. She has missed Question Time (no comments on the merits
> please!). Is there a practical way for me to transfer it from the BBC
> iPlayer to DVD?

There is a software application called get_iplayer when you run it, but
you download it from a site that calls it get-iplayer.
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

It is available for Windows, MacOS, Linux and BSD. Make sure you pick
the right one for the platform you intend to run it on.

By default it saves the programme as a MP4 file which will last forever
(it does not time expire like the native BBC source). A lot of TVs can
show a MP4 file from a pen drive, and failing that most computers can
show it on-screen using VLC Media Player (available for most platforms).

There are more elegant solutions which will create a DVD that has the
standard commercial DVD film format, but I don't know of a free one. The
above should win you a grudging forgiveness though.

Jim

Re: Transferring to DVD

<i008ng11scgb401k55k7eombi63tbg2og1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28053&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28053

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:29:46 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:29 UTC

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:28:23 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>I am in the doghouse today. I thought it would be a good idea to
>rescan my friend's Humax box, but I forgot this would cancel her
>recordings. She has missed Question Time (no comments on the merits
>please!). Is there a practical way for me to transfer it from the BBC
>iPlayer to DVD?

Lend her an Amazon stick.

Rod.

Re: Transferring to DVD

<itieq4Fsj63U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28056&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28056

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:51:15 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:51 UTC

On 23/10/2021 10:28, Scott wrote:
> I am in the doghouse today. I thought it would be a good idea to
> rescan my friend's Humax box, but I forgot this would cancel her
> recordings. She has missed Question Time (no comments on the merits
> please!). Is there a practical way for me to transfer it from the BBC
> iPlayer to DVD?
Go round there for an hour with four friends, argue about politics, how
crap/great the government are etc, talk all over each other, but make
sure at the end of the hour none of you are any further forward or have
conceded anything to each other, and leave. It'll be more or less the
same as watching the show.

Re: Transferring to DVD

<itifj0Fsoh5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28059&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28059

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:04:32 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:04 UTC

On 23/10/2021 10:28 am, Scott wrote:

> I am in the doghouse today. I thought it would be a good idea to
> rescan my friend's Humax box, but I forgot this would cancel her
> recordings. She has missed Question Time (no comments on the merits
> please!). Is there a practical way for me to transfer it from the BBC
> iPlayer to DVD?

A Sky+ box and a separate DVD-R component recorder make it easy.

You *might* be able to play out from a Youview player to a DVD-R recorder.

Then... black arts time... there's get-iplayer.

Thene there's networking with people who do this sort of thing all the
time...

Re: Transferring to DVD

<itifkfFsoh5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28060&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28060

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:05:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:05 UTC

On 23/10/2021 01:29 pm, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:28:23 +0100, Scott
> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am in the doghouse today. I thought it would be a good idea to
>> rescan my friend's Humax box, but I forgot this would cancel her
>> recordings. She has missed Question Time (no comments on the merits
>> please!). Is there a practical way for me to transfer it from the BBC
>> iPlayer to DVD?
>
> Lend her an Amazon stick.

The easiest, most practical and best solution.

Re: Transferring to DVD

<2248ngtml8beghdkc87h0jsfvsgk0boh6m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28062&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28062

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:40:14 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:40 UTC

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:51:15 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 23/10/2021 10:28, Scott wrote:
>> I am in the doghouse today. I thought it would be a good idea to
>> rescan my friend's Humax box, but I forgot this would cancel her
>> recordings. She has missed Question Time (no comments on the merits
>> please!). Is there a practical way for me to transfer it from the BBC
>> iPlayer to DVD?
>Go round there for an hour with four friends, argue about politics, how
>crap/great the government are etc, talk all over each other, but make
>sure at the end of the hour none of you are any further forward or have
>conceded anything to each other, and leave. It'll be more or less the
>same as watching the show.

Very good :-)

Thanks for the suggestions. However, the solution was much easier. My
friend discovered it is repeated during the night on Monday :-)

Re: Transferring to DVD

<itii15Ft6ihU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28063&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28063

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:46:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:46 UTC

Mark Carver wrote:

> Go round there for an hour with four friends, argue about politics, how
> crap/great the government are etc, talk all over each other, but make sure at
> the end of the hour none of you are any further forward or have conceded
> anything to each other, and leave. It'll be more or less the same as watching
> the show.

Are they auditioning for the new series of Grump Old Men yet?